PC naval war game and sim CLAD in IRON: Philippines 1898 Available NOW!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

totemgam

PC naval war game and sim CLAD in IRON: Philippines 1898 Available NOW!

Post by totemgam »

Hello. My name is Maxim. I'm one of the developers of the naval war game and sim CLAD in IRON: Philippines 1898. About 10 years ago, among our members of the community Tsushima forums (tsushima.su) our small team of volunteers and like-minded people formed.

We wanted to make a game that commercial game developers could not offer us then. Over the years we have learned a lot, we have made several games, made all possible mistakes of newcomers and finally finished the project from which it all started 10 years ago. It's a long time, but we could only give our hobbies free from family and work time.

We are sure that no one has wanted or could not make a similar game in the genre of naval war game and simulator of sea battles. This is our strong and weak point. For very many, our game seems too boring and long. We deliberately did not change the real characteristics of the ships and their weapons. If in reality the cannon charges 5 minutes, and the ship gains full speed in 15 minutes - that means in our game as well. In any case, we have an acceleration of time.

If there is a category of games not for everyone, then it's us. This is an honest game that is made by players and fans of the old school's war games for other players of the same kind (without any lies of marketers). We have a small, but very friendly community of players from different countries. The game is available in English and Russian.

Now we want to present our game to everyone interested. I am ready to answer any questions and help to disassemble with the game, if necessary.

This is an introductory video for the game:

This video of the gameplay in real time (simulator):

This video shows the effect of weather on the accuracy of ship cannons:

This video of the gameplay and training in a turned based strategy:

This video teaches you how to work with the game interface:

I am absolutely sure that my message is not commercial. None of us earned anything on this expensive hobby.
Last edited by totemgam on Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff V

Re: PC naval war game and sim CLAD in IRON: Philippines 1898 Available NOW!

Post by Jeff V »

It's okay for developers to pimp their games here. :)

The subject matter (The Philippine War) is not one often covered so I'll look into this more. In general I've had a hard time getting into naval simulation games outside of the Age of Sail as they tend to be about the vehicles and lack the context of the surrounding history, and I'm just not a gear head. Still, I'll look and see what you all did with this.
Black Lives Matter
totemgam

Post by totemgam »

Thank you for your attention to our game. You are right that commercial developers are not in a hurry to make naval simulators. I understand them and do not blame them. This is a huge and difficult job without any hope to recoup costs. I've been going to this idea for a long 10 years, but now I'm absolutely sure that the great simulators of Norm Koger (Distant Guns) were the last representatives of the dying genre.
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

A link might have been helpful. :D

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm busy with other games right now, but I've got time coming up next month so this is going on my wishlist. :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
totemgam

Post by totemgam »

Gentlemen, it seems that I got into a decent society. You are a very friendly community. :clap:
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

But are you sure it's available NOW!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Thanks, will definitely check it out. 8-)
-mf
tgb

Post by tgb »

There was a time I'd be all over this like stink on a chimpanzee, but as I get older I prefer the simpler things in life.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

tgb wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:07 pm There was a time I'd be all over this like stink on a chimpanzee, but as I get older I prefer the simpler things in life.
is that why you hang out with us in this forum? :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I'll add this to my wishlist and check it out over the holidays. Looks interesting.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
totemgam

Post by totemgam »

Perhaps you will be interested in our other game:

totemgam

Post by totemgam »

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Let life in the new year be better than in the past! I wish you happiness and good luck!

P.S. Save 33% on CLAD in IRON: Philippines 1898
tgb

Post by tgb »

Be sure and drink Ovaltine.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
totemgam

Post by totemgam »

Tnx Mr. TGB! Although I had to read about what kind of drink in question. I hope someday to try it. The cocoa variation looks very appetizing.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

It's an acquired taste I think. I liked it as a kid, not sure I've had it since.
Black Lives Matter
totemgam

Post by totemgam »

New Wargamer Review CLAD IN IRON: PHILIPPINES 1898 - http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/review- ... ines-1898/
Rip

Post by Rip »

Just added both games to my wishlist.

Looks right up my alley.
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

i bought both these games but without an ingame tutorial it makes it hard to know what's going on. Finally watched the on line "tutorial" but I'm still not sure what's going on.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
totemgam

Post by totemgam »

CLAD in IRON Tutorial: Camera Management & Hotkeys

CLAD in IRON Tutorial: Turned-Based Strategy Mode

CLAD in IRON Manuual
http://cdn.edgecast.steamstatic.com/ste ... 1515166462

You wrote that you studied these materials for training, but I'll still post links here. Maybe they will be useful to someone else.

First steps for beginner
In the main menu you need to choose whom to play. You can play for Spain or the USA. After downloading the game, a short text message will give you a short information about the game scenario and tasks. There is no training in the game. Therefore, before playing, but better before buying a game, I advise you to watch the video and read the manual.

You started the game and see the map of the Philippines lying on the table. On this map there are your and enemy ports, in which there are ships, infantry and coastal defense and ship repair facilities. To understand what you see, you must point to each object (unit, slot for the unit, construction) mouse cursor and wait. Any information and game tips are located on the pop-up windows that appear under the cursor.

The next important thing is moving the units and their battles. You need to place the cursor over the unit, click (left button), select the slot to move, place the cursor over it, click (left button). The battle occurs after the end of the tour when your and enemy units are in the same port area. The areas are marked with a gray icon on the left side. The lock is a blockade, the anchor is the inner harbor, the star is the infantry garrison.

The whole purpose of the game is to place your ships in blockade and cut off the supply, then move your ships to the inner harbor, where to destroy the batteries and drown the enemy's ships. Only then you can move the infantry there and try to capture the enemy port. The game is simple, but you need to understand a couple of principles and read the tooltips.

I described the principle of the game. This does not mean that the enemy will not interfere with you. The game has many more opportunities and strategies: to wear down the enemy on the defensive, the war on communications and so on.

I recommend first to learn the simplest and most important action - moving ships. We can do otherwise. Ask me questions, and I'll try to answer as simple as possible and in more detail.
totemgam

Post by totemgam »

We started work on a new scenario about the Russo-Japanese War. Events will take place in a remote and now forgotten theater of military operations on Sakhalin, the Kuril Islands and Kamchatka in 1904.
totemgam

Post by totemgam »

We continue work on torpedo boats and destroyers. Above the 75ft harbor spar torpedo boat Yarrow type. These boats built for the European and South American navies in the 1870s. Below is the same type, but after the modernization of the 1890s. The torpedo boat is armed with a 15in Whitehead self-propelled torpedo and the 3pdr Hotchkiss quick-firing gun.

totemgam

Post by totemgam »

Save 25% on CLAD in IRON: Philippines 1898. Offer ends 19 February.
totemgam

Post by totemgam »

Save 50% on Clad in Iron: Gulf of Mexico 1864. Offer ends 27 February.
totemgam

Post by totemgam »

Work on the free addition to the game continues. The Spanish Torpedo Boat Destroyer is ready for testing.

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Are your ships models the correct colors for the day?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
totemgam

Post by totemgam »

I did not understand the question. Please clarify. Sorry...
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Are your ship models painted the same colors as they would have been back when they were in front line service?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
totemgam

Post by totemgam »

When historical sources allow such information to be obtained, we paint the ships in accordance with them. The documents provided to us by the history professor from Spain contain information that the Spanish ships in the Philippines before the war were painted in standard Victorian colors (black hull, white superstructures, yellow masts and pipes). After the outbreak of the war, these ships were painted in gray. The ships that the Spaniards sent to the Philippines after the battle of Cavite were painted in Victorian colors.

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Thanks!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
totemgam

Post by totemgam »

We have updated our naval wargame Clad in Iron: Gulf of Mexico 1864.

In the turned based strategic mode of the game we have added a new supply system for ships and infantry units.
In real time simulator mode, we added the effect of weather: influence of height of a wave on accuracy of shooting and stability of the ship.
In addition, all the naval units have obtained real historically reliable characteristics of turn, set and loss of speed.

We hope that you will like it.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

totemgam wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:24 am Image

We started work on a new scenario about the Russo-Japanese War. Events will take place in a remote and now forgotten theater of military operations on Sakhalin, the Kuril Islands and Kamchatka in 1904.
Must have missed this announcement. Looking forward to the ships from that era, I find them attractive beyond all others for some odd reason. I finally bought a computer that will probably run your games.
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
totemgam

Post by totemgam »

You're right. With news and promotion we have a sad situation. I try as I can, but I'm a historian, not an expert in advertising.

Nevertheless, in the near future we will have good news. To follow our news, we made a Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/totemgamesfcbk/
totemgam

Post by totemgam »

CLAD in IRON: Philippines 1898 Update - June 5th, 2018

In this update, we added torpedo weapons and new types of ships to the game, and also improved the graphics:

- Now players will be able to use the ships armed with torpedoes in the strategy (TBS) and simulator (SIM) mode. Automatic and manual torpedo control is available.
- New types of ships were added: a Spanish torpedo boats destroyer and a coastal defense ship, an American auxiliary cruiser.
- American 1150t patrol gunboats rearmed with 4-inch rapid-fire (QF) weapons.
- In order to achieve a more realistic appearance in the simulator mode, we improved the water surface graphics (sea waves).
- Improved textures and detailing of all 3d models of ships.

https://steamcommunity.com/gid/10358279 ... 2579761329
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It's nice to see you're still adding on. :wink:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
totemgam

Post by totemgam »

Soon we will again update Clad in Iron: Gulf of Mexico 1864. We will add to the game a new graphics of the sea.
totemgam

Post by totemgam »

The Steam Summer Sale 2018 has started! For the next days, take advantage of discounts on our games:

-35% Clad in Iron: Philippines 1898
https://store.steampowered.com/app/7129 ... ines_1898/
-50% Clad in Iron: Gulf of Mexico 1864
https://store.steampowered.com/app/6934 ... xico_1864/
totemgam

Post by totemgam »

Back in April, the largest and one of the most respected professional online magazines about the wargames WARGAMER.COM included our games in the list of the best naval war games. The news was a little late, but better later than never.

It's nice to be together with such games as JUTLAND, VICTORY AT SEA, SILENT HUNTER and BATTLESTATIONS: PACIFIC.

https://www.wargamer.com/articles/naval ... es-subsim/
totemgam

Post by totemgam »

Inspired by a player named Tempest, we updated the interface on the battle map in strategy mode. Now all slots for ships, infantry or buildings of one side have only one color. In addition, it is now easier to understand which harbor the player controls, and which ones are his computer opponent.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/712970 ... 2231551593