Elder Scrolls Skyrim thread

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: Elder Scrolls Skyrim thread

Post by Daehawk »

Geez I was awake nearly 2 days and all I do is toss and turn this morning dreaming of missing textures in the world and wake up 2 hours later wide awake. Not fun.

Also Im thinking my load order may be to blame. Ive run LOOT of course but Ill have to check the order for any npc, face, hair stuff that might cause that.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

After another few hours of trouble shooting I almost deleted it all and called it done. I quit for now. I turned off almost ALL the mods and still that npc is black faced. So I dont feel like fooling with it any longer.

Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Were you, at some point, running one of the Apachii mods? Hairs, perhaps?

Somewhere you installed a mod to alter NPCs appearances (hair, 'makeover', etc) that either conflicted with another mod with that same thing, had a bug, or the game was loaded with it out of place in the load order.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yes an npc follower forced me to use a apachi hair mod. Didn't want to use that one. Personally think that is a silly looking mod. But I took it back out.

EDIT: After I replied to your post I looked it up and the normal Skyrim Apachi version actually has fixes for black face/head due to their hair. But not the SE one. Im going to try that fix anyways. Isn't like it will hurt.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im done. Heard it fixed it to turn off the mod and start a new game. Well when I start a new game the wagon is back to bouncing all over and flipping with wheels flying around in the air. Hate that bug. Im done . Deleted it all .Will never touch that game again or any Bethesda Elder Scrolls.

Maybe one day when Im not mad...haven't deleted yet..but may. Tired of it all.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I saw on your profile you had like 8+ hours of play time. How much of that was spent tweaking mods vs actually playing? :wink:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm not sure he's ever actually played a single game since mods were invented. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Brian

Post by Brian »

And here I played the game all the way through, twice, without mods like some kind of chump.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, if you ever get the itch again, I'd give a few suggestions:

1. Be pickier in your choice of mods. In my experience, mods that fiddle with vast numbers of NPCs are the ones that are the most problematic, as are things that make changes to their skeletons and animations. There is a reason I recommend the STEP guide.

2. Make sure you read everything before you install everything. A lot of the issues I see come from some combination of not getting some install detail right, not having the right prerequisites, or having multiple mods with documented conflicts. A lot of them come from not understanding how the mods really work (like our conversation about whether a bashed patch was actually necessary.)

3. Never, ever set up your mods for an in-progress game*. Mod for a new game, and be very, very careful about adding or removing mods once the game has started. Adding isn't really an issue as long as the documentation doesn't mention any, but removing mods from an active game is one of the easiest ways to seriously screw things up *permanently.* Removing a mod from the install does not remove the mod from your save file, which absolutely will break things, and it may not be apparent until hours later when all you have are unexplained crashes.

*It is fine to use an existing save for testing, just don't use that save for playing.

If you do some reading ahead of time and are picky with what you change, a heavily modded Elder Scrolls game can be cleaner, more stable, and run more smoothly than a vanilla installation.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just cancelled Star Wars. I told my wife and a friend yesterday that I seem to enjoy buying, installing, and deleting games more than actually playing them these days. I really do get a satisfaction from deleting a game and cleaning my hard drives.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Never mind. Cleaned the hd up and deleted it along with a bunch of other stuff Im not messing with for now.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Just started the Special Edition again and was looking for some top mod recommendations. I don't want to go nuts, just install a few good graphic and quality of life enhancements. I honestly don't want to spend more than a few minutes fiddling with it. I'm using the in game mod menu from Bethesda.net.

The mod I'm looking for the most is a good UI inventory mod. I hate the stock one.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

My 'go-to' is to log into the appropriate game page on Nexus, click the link for Most Popular/Best (whatever it's called), then start going down the list until I'm "bored".

The basic assumption that I'm making is that if a mod is "good", then a lot of people will have downloaded it. That also tends to make it safe.

Now, I don't know anything about an in game menu from Bethesda....

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Jag wrote:
The mod I'm looking for the most is a good UI inventory mod. I hate the stock one.
Doesn't exist yet. For a long time the lack of Skyrim Script Extender(SKSE)was holding back SE mods. However, with SKSE seemingly indefinitely delayed modders are doing workarounds that are popping up the last week or so. Maybe someone will do so with a UI mod.

There are videos on how to get SkyUI 2.2 working. It might fit your needs.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:20 pm Im done. Heard it fixed it to turn off the mod and start a new game. Well when I start a new game the wagon is back to bouncing all over and flipping with wheels flying around in the air. Hate that bug. Im done . Deleted it all .Will never touch that game again or any Bethesda Elder Scrolls.

Maybe one day when Im not mad...haven't deleted yet..but may. Tired of it all.
Never say never. Ive begun to think of it again.

In my mind Im thinking....

20 must have mods. Patches and such.
20 nice to have mods. Skys and graphics.
20 silly mods. Companions and signs and fire embers and such.

not ready yet but giving it some thought. Will be the SE version too.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

I've had the bouncy wagon thingy (and goats...) usually it's a refresh rate problem.

I try and play skyrim for a few (hundreds...) of hours every year with different mods... I'm kidna due but WoW is eating up most of my gaming again :|
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Vorret wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:26 am I've had the bouncy wagon thingy (and goats...) usually it's a refresh rate problem.

I try and play skyrim for a few (hundreds...) of hours every year with different mods... I'm kidna due but WoW is eating up most of my gaming again :|
That's been me as well, minus the WOW (Though, WOW classic servers got me intrigued) Never came close to finishing. However, I now have it on the Switch and it is not moddable and playable on a toilet. I may just finish it yet!
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

I don't think I could get myself to play it unmodded.
I need mods and patches (aka the unofficial patch that's 100% needed to run the game properly).

Mods pushes Skyrim from a good game to an amazing game, in my opinion.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Vorret wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:25 pm I don't think I could get myself to play it unmodded.
I need mods and patches (aka the unofficial patch that's 100% needed to run the game properly).

Mods pushes Skyrim from a good game to an amazing game, in my opinion.
I don't disagree mostly. The switch is based off the SE addition so it's not the game that shipped originally in a messed up state. While I do love me some modding there is something liberating about not having to worry about them. Hence, I may actually compete the game.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The first time I had the wagon trouble it was that Helgan redone mod. turned it off and it was ok. the next time I got the crazy wagon I never did find the cause.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

4 mods in and have a problem. Figures. Its SkyUI. LOOT says it requires SKSE....the mod itself says it needs it...I install from Steam and LOOT says its need the blahblahskse exe ...it cant find it..I cant find it...so I try to manually download SKSE from the site...every damn one I get is corrupt..every one. Fuck SkyUI..Ill find another or give up on a UI.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You are using the Special Edition? Make sure that every single mod you get is for the special edition. SkyUI and SKSE for the Special Edition are both alpha versions. SKSE64 (the SE version) is only intended for mod authors wanting to experiment. Expect issues. Expect lots of issues with many mods.

As I said last time this was brought up, if you want to do a lot of modding, skip the SE. It has far, far less mod support.

A well-modded original Skyrim will look better than the SE anyway.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya SE.

Oh.My.God. I wanted a weather mod. I found 6 main mods. After over an hour of watching video comparisons I got it down to two choice...Vivid and Dolomite. Then I looked them up and find all these ENB and such addons to run with each. Like Dolomite and NAT or Dolomite and Skyrim RE Rengaged. Amazing looking stuff but SO MAN CHOICES. I now have like 19 tabs open trying to decide. But then Vivid has some amazing sounds like indoor rain and such but it also has amazing lighting of houses at nite and theres seperate sound mods that do amazing sounds and indoor rain from outside.

My head hurts. Im going to bed and leaving all the tabs open. By the time I get to tab 12 Ive forgotten what tab 3 looked like and where I was headed and what I was looking for. I do recall last time I tried this I loved the RUDY ENB.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Morlac grabs his Switch nodding his head with a slight smirk on his face as he heads to the bathroom for some Skyrim.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote: A well-modded original Skyrim will look better than the SE anyway.
Do you think it will run better?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:14 am
Blackhawk wrote: A well-modded original Skyrim will look better than the SE anyway.
Do you think it will run better?
I'm running at the limit for addon files (.esp/.esm), which is 256. As many mods don't use one, I'm guessing that I'm running around 300 mods, and my install has been rock-solid. It runs smoothly, and my hardware isn't cutting edge.

Just note the caveat - "well-modded."
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im done ...I deleted it again. Frustration thy name is Skyrim. I found the perfect weather and visual mod...Dolomite and Skyrim Re Rengaged. But it downloaded in a corrupt state...seems everything I download is fucked up. So I got mad and deleted it all again. Thats the 5th time Skyrim has beaten me. Its braggin to its friends Im sure.

ill give it another go soon. Maybe this weekend..or today even. But I have to find whats causing my download problems. Maybe its my browser...not sure.

To be clear...the mod manager is fine and its downlaods are fine...just anything that requires manual download is bad.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Tell the truth - you've never actually played the game. It's ok, admitting it is the first step. :D

I know this is going to sound crazy, but maybe just try installing the base game and playing it. Just..try. :wink:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh I did back on the day I first got it... 11/11/11 fun day :). I actually got more than half way through on my 2nd go at it.

Ive started a thread to detail my troubles in the hardware section. Right now Im testing RAR files from other sources. You know how hard it is to find a rar file these days instead of a exe installer or a video file to test?? :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looking online seems to be a lot of people getting corrupted files from the Nexus sites. Maybe someone found a fix. Its weird that its only the ones I have to download and save myself. The mod manager downloaded ones are fine.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wasn't there something a few years ago about viruses or malware being packaged in the Nexus mods for Skyrim? That they (Bethesda) recommended that people use the STEAM Workshop to add things? I could totally be making that up or confusing games.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There was a brief period where some troll was uploading fake copies of popular mods with malware written into them, but Nexus took steps. I've been using that site for more than a decade, since it was still TESSsource. It's one of the largest mod sites on the 'net, and while no website can ever be guaranteed safe, it is one I don't consider risky at all.

tldr: it's safe.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Same here. As i said in my troubleshooting thread I give up. Ive downloaded it multiple times and its always bad....along with anything else I manually download. Ive tried to find download managers that work with Quantum to no effect. I quit.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think Blackhawl solved my corruption issue. Its working right for now! Basically switched extractors..using 7zip now.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

As a test Ive reinstalled the game and put in both Dolomite Weathers and Skyrim Re Engaged. Both worked fine and the game is already looking spiffy. So Im done with the two largest mods..weather and a enb. 10 bajillion quintillion mods to go. Think Ill play until I get to Riverwood then make two saves, copy the entire game to a back up folder and then work with mods from there. Every so often ill make a new separate backup of the entire game in a working state. So if I do miff it up I wont have but about 5 mods to replace.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok installed realistic water 2, unofficial patch, world map, and static messes. Still ok.

Not totally sure on the enb yet. I can turn it off or on or I can replace it. here are some before and after shots with it off then on.

Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I experimented with ENBs for a while, and never found one I actually liked. Most of them take the settings to extreme levels and end up making things look worse. Extreme blur/depth of field, for instance. This one, to me, just ups the saturation too much. The trees look too green. Everything looks more colorful than reality.

It just isn't worth the performance hit that ENBs bring with them.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Theres a few things I always turn off in games..depth of field and blur are two. In this I can turn off DOF with a button so not bothering me. And I got it for the deeper colors. Its more fantasy like. bluer skies and greener lands. I will also install the fauna mod. I wanted the better glows from fires and windows at night but Im getting a too bright glow on surroundings. Its washing some stuff out. Thats why I mentioned I may switch it. Not seeing any performance hit yet. Using the ultra stuff.

I may still need to do SKSE for other mods. I dread that.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Theres some mods Im worried will be hell to get to work. Things like the varied armor mod and npc idles and animations and such. Ive always had trouble getting mods that change so much to work.