Marvel Puzzle Quest

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Tao

Re: Marvel Puzzle Quest

Post by Tao »

Downloaded this on a whim last night. I have played gems of war and MTG Puzzle Quest so I have some basic familiarity with the mechanics. I completed the first prologue, Dark Reign, set of missions H.A.M.M.E.R and I guess I am supposed to move on to Juggernaught now. I have 4 heroes so far, Iron Man, Storm, Hawkeye and Spiderman, the next mission choice is either against level 9 Juggernaught or 3 Level 4 Soldiers. I cannot beat either at the moment. Everything I read online said not to waste ISO on 1* heroes but how am I supposed to beat the missions, do I just really suck at the game or am I missing something. The mission with 3 soldiers, each soldier has 320 Health and the times counters are hitting me for 85 points a shot. None of my heroes can take more than about 3 hits before they are knocked out and I am only doing about 15-20 points to the soldiers with matches. I don't get it. Gems of War had a bit of a curve in the beginning but it was manageable since there was no timers on your troops when you lost. Losing a round in MPQ means spending a bunch of health kits or waiting 30 minutes to try again. Tips anyone?
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

If you're just starting the game you have to put iso into lvl 1 heroes, you have no choice. At least as far as I remember. It won't be long before you start getting 2* heroes, and that's when you can start to move away from the 1*'s. It's been so long that I really can't remember the early progress strategies though. Hopefully someone else can help you with that.

We have a guild/group that is about 1/2 full of active players, so if you want some free iso, just join us. I don't even remember how to do that. I think you have to request to join us, I don't think I can send out an invite.

Let me go look at what the name of our group is. There it is:

Ooverlords

Send a request to join that guild, and I'll accept from our end. To be clear, there are no obligations with joining. While there are team events, it's mostly just everyone does their own thing and the game adds all the efforts together. Those events are too tough for a new player so you don't have to sweat it anyway.

Joining our group will give you free iso every day (and a significant amount for a beginner, I think). That's pretty much the entirety of what you can expect right now.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Zaxxon, are you still playing? Since you're a commander I can't see the last time you played (the commander label is right where the last played information is supposed to be).

edit: You've got 5-6 covers for the newish 5* hulk, so I'm guessing you're still playing.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yes. Not every day lately, but I am.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

No worries, I was just curious.
Tao

Post by Tao »

If you see a guild request from Archangyl please disregard, played this some more over the weekend and I am pretty much done. Appreciate the tips GreenGoo.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Okey dokey.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Just a head up but if you go through the Steam store and purchase DLC for MPQ they are having a sale on hero point packs. You can get just under 42,000 hp for $15 bucks if you buy the three available packs. There are packs with 1950 for $1, 9950 for $4 and 30,000 for $10
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

For those running the Galactus event, using 4 star Rocket and Groot, 4 star Star Lord and 3 star Iron Fist can one shot Galactus. R&G puts out 7 attack tiles that SL pumps by being in the party. Matches will do 1000's of damage, just dont match away any strike tiles. If Galactus survives turn one then he will die on 2, due to Iron Fists strike tile which is also pumped by the attack tiles on the board. Easiest event boss fight ever.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Phone died. I'll know tomorrow whether it's permanent or something I can fix.

No dailies for me. :cry:

edit: Ta Da! Low tech fix. Or combination of fixes. Phone is alive! Huzzah.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I wonder how long until these Supports become required to do certain missions. :roll:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:57 pm I wonder how long until these Supports become required to do certain missions. :roll:
I kind of just play matches and I often don't even look at the meta aspects of the game, although that comes and goes based on interest and free time.

In this case, I don't know what you're talking about, although I certainly should.

Could you fill me in?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Update and open the app.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

God damn it.

I say that before updating and opening the app.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:D

A new set of boosts that have levels and come with a completely new currency type to raise said levels.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If you're wondering how long the freebies will be coming:

4/27 - 3 Balancing the Universe tokens
4/28 - 3 Balancing the Universe tokens
4/29 - 3 Balancing the Universe tokens
4/30 - 3 Balancing the Universe tokens
5/1 - 2 Beginner Black Order store tokens
5/2 - 2 Beginner Black Order store tokens
5/3 - 1 Advanced Black Order store token
5/4 - 1 Advanced Black Order store token
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Huh. I didn't notice anything yesterday or the day before.

Probably should pay attention.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

4* Iron Spider
(Abilities listed at level 270, Power Level 5)
Quick Reflexes - Blue Passive
Spider-Man's Spider-sense lets him anticipate danger and react accordingly. Whenever Spider-Man makes a match, create 2 Web tiles. Enemy powers deal 12% less damage to Spider-Man for each Web tile on the board. Whenever Spider-Man takes damage from an enemy power, remove half of all Web tiles (rounded down).

Thwip, Thwip, Pow! - Green 7 AP
Spider-Man swings through the air, lobbing a quick burst of web-shots into battle. His webs hit 8 random colored tiles, locking any enemy tiles, fortifying any friendly tiles, and converting the rest to Web tiles.

Proportonal Punch - Red 10 AP
Spider-Man grabs his enemy with his cybernetic spider legs to deliver a blow with the proportional strength of a spider! Deals 2,704 damage plus 1,083 damage for every Blue, Green, or Red Web tile on the board, and 542 damage for every other Web tile.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Saved Covers
On June 18th in R155, we’re introducing a new feature called Saved Covers.

Saved Covers allows you to store covers you aren’t able to use, in order to convert them into another power’s level.
  • Available only for 2-Star characters and higher.
  • Covers can be saved on non-Champion characters, who have less than 13 total covers.
  • A maximum of five covers can be saved to a single character.
  • Once you have saved five covers on a character, you can trade them for a single power of your choice on the same character.
  • Covers that are saved, before a character is Championed, are automatically converted into Champion levels once the character is Championed. This way, no covers are lost if you happen to find that last 13th cover while working to save five covers.
Update: 5-Star characters are the strongest characters in the game, but they're also some of the rarest. We've received a lot of positive feedback from players, telling us that Saved Covers has been a lot of help, but we've also heard the feedback on how we can improve the feature. Waiting for 5-Star covers to be saved can mean a long time before they level up, so we want to make this experience a bit better for players.

Following this Wednesday's (6/20) patch update, 5-Star characters will only require 3 saved covers, in order to trade them in for a new level in any of that character's powers. Please note that if you already have 4 or 5 covers saved, prior to this change, the display will look a bit odd afterwards, but your covers will be safe. Once you redeem those covers, then the maximum changes to 3.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, being able to do anything with those covers besides sell them will be a nice change.
GuidoTKP

Post by GuidoTKP »

I've been lucky in that I haven't had to sell too many 4* covers, but I've had to sell around 10 and it kills me every time. Saved covers is definitely a positive development.
"All I can ever think of when I see BBT is, "that guy f***ed Angelina Jolie? Seriously?" Then I wonder if Angelina ever wakes up in the middle of the night to find Brad Pitt in the shower, huddled in a corner furiously scrubbing at his d*** and going, 'I can't get the smell of Billy Bob off of this thing.' Then I try to think of something, anything, else." --Brian

"Would you go up to a girl in a bar and say 'Pardon me, miss, but before I spend a lot of time chatting you up, and buying you drinks, I'd like to know if you do anal. Because if not, that's a deal-breaker for me.'"
-- Mr. Fed
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yep they sit in my inventory for days as the timer ticks down until I have no choice but to sell.

I have 2 in my inventory right now.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Okoye and Doctor Strange work quite well together.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Pretty sure my Okoye is a single cover. No help there.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If it's black, it will.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:15 pm If it's black, it will.
Yellow.

Amazingly she takes precedence over ALL of my relatively high level OMW colours right now, due to the event boost. So OMW can't even tank anything when Okoye is in the group.

On the plus side if she gets enough yellow she can heal for thousands. And true heal, too, not the bullcrap green bar healing that was implemented...a long time ago? Has it really been 2+ years?

They must be running out of ideas. They abolished the true heal (except for healing factor heroes) and replaced it. Now it's back.
dobberhd

Post by dobberhd »

My go to team lately has been Okoye, Strange, and Medusa. Soon Strange will be swapped out for Black Bolt when I get one more cover for him.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Dr. Strange is so good that I will often use his 3* version against full goon teams. He's just devastating if you can get some strike tiles down for him to utilize, which just happens to be OMW specialty (plus tanking).

My 5* Strange does less damage than my 3* because he's not fully covered, so 3* it is.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Same here.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Reading old MPQ forum posts. Every freaking hero has an MPQ nickname or is referred to by his alias.

Wtf is switch?

Nvm, figured it out all by my lonesome.

Scarlet witch.

Unreasonably obvious in hindsight.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Just champed nightcrawler and was looking for advice on how to build him.

5/5/3 if anyone is interested.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I heard maintaining your roster was too little work. Here, have Taskmaster

He's a limited character like Devil Dinosaur and Howard the Duck, and you can pick one of six variants for each of his three powers.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:43 pm I heard maintaining your roster was too little work. Here, have Taskmaster

He's a limited character like Devil Dinosaur and Howard the Duck, and you can pick one of six variants for each of his three powers.
Lol. I'm already not paying attention to 95% of my roster, most of which aren't even optimized for their skill configuration (best setup for x/y/z), let alone figured out who plays nice with whom. If they didn't have events that rotated the required character, I wouldn't even bother with new characters, outside of your typical collect them when they drop sort of thing.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My boosted Blade with 5 red has been a nice rotation in.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ditto.

First time I've used him to any serious extent. He's got some fun skills.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Just got my last card for Agent Venom.

I can't bring myself to champion him though. It's like 175,000 iso to level him up and I just don't think he's worth it. His red in particular is bizarrely under powered for a 4* and AP cost. I put 50,000 ISO into him. That's enough for now.

I've got him at 5/5/3. I should probably look up what people think is the right build for him.

Looking online, his red does a max damage of 7200 for 10! red, and that's if you also have at least 12 in another AP pool. That's terrible, right? I mean, many (most?) 3*'s do better than that, don't they? His yellow is ok, but with no self-heal he protects the rest of the team while eating incoming damage himself. He's just not tough enough to do that more than once or twice without burning a heal every second fight. Not good.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Five yellow would be my preference.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Thanks Izzy, was just looking for that, but reading his thread first. You can tell how terrible he is by how few votes the poll received in total. A strong character will have a lot more interest and activity.

3/5/5 because you should NEVER use his red, assuming you have anything at all that uses red besides him. The fact that 5/3/5 and 5/5/3 have almost the same votes, and that those plus 3/5/5 are all around the same votes (with 3/5/5 edging them out) means to me, that no one uses him, because it's obvious that his red is terrible and I'm super surprised anyone would build him with 5 red.

Maybe in Nov of 2016 he was decent. Today he's a low end 4*. With 5*'s and awesome 3*'s, I'll never use him unless forced to do so. Or, maybe but probably not, when he's boosted.

Now I'm pissed I put 50k ISO into him. What a waste. I was already able to beat his node 6 times in the current event, so it's not like I needed him to be better.

Edit: With him boosted I think I have him around lvl 338. His red does 11k IF you have 12 AP as well. So 10 red AP + you need but don't spend another 12 AP. To do 11k. That's still not great, even boosted.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

4* cage and your highest damaging Dr. Strange just destroys the venom bomb thugs.

They fire so many powers that you'll soon be immune to damage via cage and passively killing them with strange. You can literally pick anyone else. I'd recommend someone who can generate strike/attack tiles, or better yet, steal them.

Don't use anyone with a strong black power as you'll want to leave them on the board for cage to create defend tiles.
GuidoTKP

Post by GuidoTKP »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:38 am 4* cage and your highest damaging Dr. Strange just destroys the venom bomb thugs.

They fire so many powers that you'll soon be immune to damage via cage and passively killing them with strange. You can literally pick anyone else. I'd recommend someone who can generate strike/attack tiles, or better yet, steal them.

Don't use anyone with a strong black power as you'll want to leave them on the board for cage to create defend tiles.
Heh. Add 4* Blade and let the hate begin.
"All I can ever think of when I see BBT is, "that guy f***ed Angelina Jolie? Seriously?" Then I wonder if Angelina ever wakes up in the middle of the night to find Brad Pitt in the shower, huddled in a corner furiously scrubbing at his d*** and going, 'I can't get the smell of Billy Bob off of this thing.' Then I try to think of something, anything, else." --Brian

"Would you go up to a girl in a bar and say 'Pardon me, miss, but before I spend a lot of time chatting you up, and buying you drinks, I'd like to know if you do anal. Because if not, that's a deal-breaker for me.'"
-- Mr. Fed