The 501st

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

msduncan

The 501st

Post by msduncan »

I think I'm going to do it. I'm going to order a complete Stormtrooper outfit and join the 501st. My wife has been cosplaying with the kids at various conventions around the area all year. She's wanted me to go, but I wasn't really interested in going as anything -- UNTIL it dawned on me to go as a Stormtrooper. It's expensive, but she says she's probably spent close to that amount on various costumes over the last two years.

You are never too old to be a kid. :horse:
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
El Guapo

Re: The 501st

Post by El Guapo »

Sounds fun. What do people in the 501st actually do? Is there a rebellion 'reenactment' type group that they have mock battles with?
Black Lives Matter.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

msduncan wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:08 am I'm going to order a complete Stormtrooper outfit
Just for a moment I wasn't sure which sort of stormtrooper you meant. :shock: :wink:

That's awesome! We go to comic-cons a few times a year and I'm always envious of the guys in stormtrooper outfits.

If I did it I'd probably go with a Scout Trooper

How much does a stormtrooper get up cost?
Last edited by Exodor on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I have some friends who do it and they find the charity stuff to be very rewarding.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:14 am Sounds fun. What do people in the 501st actually do? Is there a rebellion 'reenactment' type group that they have mock battles with?
Parades, movie releases, and to me the most exciting: charity work like going to Children's Hospitals, etc.
It's 34 bowl victories.

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Here is the one I'm thinking of ordering:

I hope that link works. Yes...the make it weathered to look realistic.
It's 34 bowl victories.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

msduncan wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:17 am
El Guapo wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:14 am Sounds fun. What do people in the 501st actually do? Is there a rebellion 'reenactment' type group that they have mock battles with?
Parades, movie releases, and to me the most exciting: charity work like going to Children's Hospitals, etc.
Isn't charity work sort of off-brand for imperial stormtroopers?

But sounds like fun.
Black Lives Matter.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

It's 34 bowl victories.

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:18 am
msduncan wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:17 am
Isn't charity work sort of off-brand for imperial stormtroopers?

But sounds like fun.
It's part of an Imperial propaganda push to improve the image of the Empire until such time that we can secure the outer systems.
It's 34 bowl victories.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I have friends that do it in Ft Lauderdale area. They do children's hospital visits and lots of other charity stuff. They have a bunch of different getups including Star Wars stuff but also GI Joe and others. They mostly create their own costumes though.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:26 am I have friends that do it in Ft Lauderdale area. They do children's hospital visits and lots of other charity stuff. They have a bunch of different getups including Star Wars stuff but also GI Joe and others. They mostly create their own costumes though.
Yeah... I'm not skilled at costume crafting and I want it to be really authentic looking. I considered attempting to build, but I think it will just be better to swallow my wallet and just pay for a top end outfit. It's tax time and bonus time, and I'm also going to sell some things to help offset the cost. The outfit I'm looking to purchase from is called RS Propmasters.
It's 34 bowl victories.

gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I see those guys at the Starfest con in Denver every year, They take pictures with the kids and are responsible for putting zip-ties on people's prop weapons :)
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Congrats! Some will remember my wife is a member of the 501st and has been doing something like 50 troops a year for the last couple years with the garrison here in KC.

If you have any questions about the group in general (keeping in mind local garrisons vary a lot in how the run things) I'd be happy to answer them or pass them along to my wife.

You've probably already done your research, but make sure any place you buy a kit from makes their gear up to 501st standards. There are a lot of cheaper kits out there that don't meet the 501st requirements, and even some of the better kits out there for various characters need some adjustments.

IIRC there should be what they call a CRL out there for the Stormtroopers (TKs) that show all the requirements you'll have to meet to join the legion. Stormtroopers are pretty much the most popular costumes though, so should be lots of places to get ready made kits.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

A sandtrooper, ey? Your boss doesn't like sand, you know.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Sepiche wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:03 pm Congrats! Some will remember my wife is a member of the 501st and has been doing something like 50 troops a year for the last couple years with the garrison here in KC.

If you have any questions about the group in general (keeping in mind local garrisons vary a lot in how the run things) I'd be happy to answer them or pass them along to my wife.

You've probably already done your research, but make sure any place you buy a kit from makes their gear up to 501st standards. There are a lot of cheaper kits out there that don't meet the 501st requirements, and even some of the better kits out there for various characters need some adjustments.

IIRC there should be what they call a CRL out there for the Stormtroopers (TKs) that show all the requirements you'll have to meet to join the legion. Stormtroopers are pretty much the most popular costumes though, so should be lots of places to get ready made kits.
Thanks! I just checked and RS Propmasters guarantee 501st standards.

The first step is to get my armor. The second step is to apply for the 501st which is sending pictures or showing up to get inspected with a garrison.
It's 34 bowl victories.

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Kelric wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:17 pm A sandtrooper, ey? Your boss doesn't like sand, you know.
:lol:

Depends on whether you are referring to Trump or Nick Saban. I think Nick Saban and Alabama more closely resemble the Empire. :D
It's 34 bowl victories.

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

The only advice she had is that each costume has what they call a detachment, and that you might get in contact with the Mos Eisley detachment for advice on some of the details or ordering. That link also has the CRL for sand troopers.

No doubt they're fine, but she hadn't heard of that RS Propmaster and said a lot of the local guys get gear from Walt's Trooper Factory if you'd like somewhere else to compare.

Good luck getting approved!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

msduncan wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:18 am Here is the one I'm thinking of ordering:

I hope that link works. Yes...the make it weathered to look realistic.
How do you use the bathroom in that thing?
Black Lives Matter
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Sepiche wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:42 pm The only advice she had is that each costume has what they call a detachment, and that you might get in contact with the Mos Eisley detachment for advice on some of the details or ordering. That link also has the CRL for sand troopers.

No doubt they're fine, but she hadn't heard of that RS Propmaster and said a lot of the local guys get gear from Walt's Trooper Factory if you'd like somewhere else to compare.

I went to whitearmor.net and solicited for high end movie accurate armor sets. RS Propmasters and Troopermaster were the two that were recommended. It's made in Manchester England.
It's 34 bowl victories.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

msduncan wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:05 pm
Sepiche wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:42 pm The only advice she had is that each costume has what they call a detachment, and that you might get in contact with the Mos Eisley detachment for advice on some of the details or ordering. That link also has the CRL for sand troopers.

I went to whitearmor.net and solicited for high end movie accurate armor sets. RS Propmasters and Troopermaster were the two that were recommended. It's made in Manchester England.
I'm glad that whitearmor.net is not the other thing that it could have been.
Black Lives Matter.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

msduncan wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:05 pm I went to whitearmor.net and solicited for high end movie accurate armor sets. RS Propmasters and Troopermaster were the two that were recommended. It's made in Manchester England.
Awesome, that sounds like it should be good then.

For my wife's imperial guard outfit, one of the only people to make the helmets is down in Argentina, so she had to pay quite a bit to get it shipped here, and then had to take it to an auto paint shop to get it properly painted. It looks amazing, but it was quite an investment.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Looks great msd! Post photos with the fam in costume if you get a chance and feel comfortable!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

If they are sandtroopers how come that is the uniform they wear on starships?
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Sepiche wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:18 pm
msduncan wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:05 pm I went to whitearmor.net and solicited for high end movie accurate armor sets. RS Propmasters and Troopermaster were the two that were recommended. It's made in Manchester England.
Awesome, that sounds like it should be good then.

For my wife's imperial guard outfit, one of the only people to make the helmets is down in Argentina, so she had to pay quite a bit to get it shipped here, and then had to take it to an auto paint shop to get it properly painted. It looks amazing, but it was quite an investment.

Is she a member over on whitearmor.net? Sometime this morning I lost my ability to reply or create new threads. I don't even know if my messages to admins are going through. If she's a member over there, I was hoping she could message them and communicate my problem to them. My profile over there is Plainsrunner.
It's 34 bowl victories.

sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

If you are going to be displaying the uniform at the MCM Birmingham Comic Con. Please let me know. I would love to get a pic.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

msduncan wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:47 pm Is she a member over on whitearmor.net? Sometime this morning I lost my ability to reply or create new threads. I don't even know if my messages to admins are going through. If she's a member over there, I was hoping she could message them and communicate my problem to them. My profile over there is Plainsrunner.
Sorry, no. She's only active on the Sovereign Protectors forum.

If you don't have any luck getting ahold of anyone let me know and I can see if she can ask some local TKs if they're active on there and can message the admins.

Edit: Another option might be to contact someone at the local Birmingham garrison and see if anyone there can point you in the right direction.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:59 pm How do you use the bathroom in that thing?
As I understand it the abdominal and posterior pieces are split, so it's not too hard to pull the abdominal plate to use the head if you need to, or pull your junk around and pee out the side. :lol:
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

msduncan wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:47 pm Is she a member over on whitearmor.net? Sometime this morning I lost my ability to reply or create new threads. I don't even know if my messages to admins are going through. If she's a member over there, I was hoping she could message them and communicate my problem to them. My profile over there is Plainsrunner.
Try contacting the staff via email, as suggested in their FAQ:
whitearmor.net wrote:If you have tried all the above and you are still having problems signing/logging in, then please contact the staff at forums@whitearmor.net
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

sgoldj wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:29 pm If you are going to be displaying the uniform at the MCM Birmingham Comic Con. Please let me know. I would love to get a pic.
Not sure if we are going to that one. We are going to Jamaica the last week in March.

Which weekend is the MCM?
It's 34 bowl victories.

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:35 pm
Try contacting the staff via email, as suggested in their FAQ:
whitearmor.net wrote:If you have tried all the above and you are still having problems signing/logging in, then please contact the staff at forums@whitearmor.net
Yep. Already did. No response yet. Not sure where the site is hosted. It might be European and thus could be the middle of the night over there.
It's 34 bowl victories.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

msduncan wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:18 am Image
I know that's authentic/"true to life" but the back kit didn't age well. Looks like the accessory area of a vacuum cleaner.

But otherwise very nice.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Safest group around. Cant hit the broad side of a barn and will never have any friendly fire for the same reason :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:57 am
msduncan wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:18 am Image
I know that's authentic/"true to life" but the back kit didn't age well. Looks like that accessory area of a vacuum cleaner.

But otherwise very nice.
I think they age it too. This was just a stock photo from their online store.
It's 34 bowl victories.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I mean the concept. Some of the props just didn't age well.

It looks exactly like from the films, which is awesome, but the films had some... interesting prop designs.

"Let me shoot you, then I'll give your landspeeder a nice clean and detail."

Don't get me wrong, still very cool. Just thought that back vew was kind of funny.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:27 pm I mean the concept. Some of the props just didn't age well.

It looks exactly like from the films, which is awesome, but the films had some... interesting prop designs.

"Let me shoot you, then I'll give your landspeeder a nice clean and detail."

Don't get me wrong, still very cool. Just thought that back vew was kind of funny.

I see what you are saying. Yes I agree. Although I do think it looks better on camera (on film) than in modern pictures. Plus toss some dust and dirt on it....
It's 34 bowl victories.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hey, when you're combing the desert for escaped droids, you don't want to be without your tupperware and plunger!

You never know when some guy with windshield wipers glued to a camera flash is going to show up!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

"TK-421 Why aren't you at your post???"
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I find it funny that your weapon is a knockoff of a Wehrmacht WW2 machinegun, an MG-34.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Grifman wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:29 pm I find it funny that your weapon is a knockoff of a Wehrmacht WW2 machinegun, an MG-34.
Most of them were based on or built from real-world firearms.

MYT