Subnautica - another stranded survival game..looks good.

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

mori

Re: Subnautica - another stranded survival game..looks good.

Post by mori »

Tao wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:07 am
So I was progressing pretty well tonight and everything was starting to look up, and then it wasn't
Spoiler:
I was taking my new Seamoth out for a spin, cruising around the Mushroom forest near the front portion of the Aurora having some good luck finding various tech to scan. I was swimming out side my Seamoth at about 140 meters when I heard it....I immediately swam to the bottom and huddled under a mushroom tree, peering cautiously above me. Then BAM!! from out of the shadows a Reaper explodes in to view and immediately grabs my Seamoth in its giant mandibles. Oxygen's slowly bleeding away as I try and climb into the Mushroom tree I am pressed up against, the Reaper shakes my Seamoth a few times like a chew toy and then spits it out, as it swims back into the darkness. I am thinking, "Please have a few health left, please have a few health left" as I fumble for my repair tool, my Oxygen getting uncomfortably low now. I start swimming for the Seamoth and get about 30 meters away when KAPOW!! The Reaper reappears out of nowhere and once again grabs my Seamoth...and squeezes. My little ship just pops like an egg and I make a beeline for the surface, thinking, "Please don't see me, Please don't see me". I see blue sky and suck air just as my vision started to narrow and everything was fading to black. Back to the shallows and the slow build up of components to start building "The Indestructible II".
I have lost two Seamoths so far.
Spoiler:
Both to the same Reaper that hangs out near the tail section of the Aurora. You would think I would remember were he hangs out :doh:. I successfully eluded him both times and made the long swim home.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

The electric field option for the seamoth is far more useful, IMHO, than the torpedo launcher, hint, hint... :mrgreen:

If you get stuck, check the radio messages. The other lifepods are located in many interesting locations that the game wants you to explore. You'll often find new resources and blueprints around them.

Boy, do I love this game! This is absolutely the most immersive world I have ever explored in any game, by far. And while I have a great fear of the dark, deep, depths of the ocean and all that it contains, I have found that I gradually become acclimated to new areas that were once terrifying until they no longer bother me at all. Once you know what's there and what you need to do to harvest resources and stay alive, the fear disappears and you're ready to move into the next new terrifying area. :wink:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Chaz wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:46 pm Again, thanks for the input all. Between the Steam guide, the wiki, a map with the wrecks, and the coordinates, I found another few deeper wrecks that had some of the blueprints I was looking for. Now I've got some more material collecting to do, and a bunch of options about what to do as far as what to build and where to do it. Then I can get back to exploring some of those deeper spots in a more directed manner. Neat!
I really think that guide and the incremental maps are a great assist for those who are getting frustrated or just don't know where to go. I myself finally went to the guide when I kept going to the Aurora but failed to be able to enter, even though I had done that during early access. Frankly I was ready to give up, then I checked the guide and realized I didn't have an important tool that I had back in EA at the same point in the progression.

Also, anyone else run into this sub? (note, not a spoiler; can you identify the sub?)
Spoiler:
Last edited by jztemple2 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I finally made my way into the PCF.
Spoiler:
Primary Containment Facility. I'm in the process of unlocking all of the arches now, and putting beacons on the other end. I now have every upgrade for every component (although I have yet to see the still suit.) I'm thinking I'm getting somewhat near the end.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

jztemple2, isn't that the "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" submarine? Where did you get that pic?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Apollo wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:48 pm jztemple2, isn't that the "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" submarine? Where did you get that pic?
You're right! :D. I remember the show from my youth so I did an internet search and found it. Just thought folks would enjoy it.

And I just put two and two together regarding mapping and realized... (minor spoiler regarding mapping process)
Spoiler:
When you are at a significant location, like a debris field you just explored for fragments, you can press F1 which gives you location info on where you are and then take an F12 Steam screenshot. So in one image you have something you want to remember and where it was located, which you can record onto your paper or electronic map.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im thinking of turning the music off. I think its supposed to signal trouble and stuff but most times it will change to a more dramatic tempo and theres nothing around. Makes me start twisting looking around. Thinking maybe just the sound of the world would be better.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Tao

Post by Tao »

This evening I found the singular most essential piece of tech;
Spoiler:
A working coffee machine :coffee: All is right in the world again
:D
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:24 pm 3. The radio. There's a radio in your pod, or you can build one in your base. If the radio is blinking, you have a message. This will usually give you coordinates to check something out. This is pushing you in the right direction - look around on your way to the location, look around the area you are sent to.
I'm going to amend this. Follow the damned signals. Otherwise certain things won't happen that are required to advance, and you'll end up sitting there wondering what to do next.

Second problem-preventing tip. Minor spoilers for when you are dealing with a set of eggs that require some special stuff.
Spoiler:
Follow the babies through the portal. You can go right back, but you need to follow them first.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Finally! I've explored the Aurora :mrgreen:. Lots of fun gear in there, but freaking claustrophobic at times. And very easy to get lost in.

My new mapping system of using F1 and screenshots is working out well for me, as I'm able to say "Hey, I've already explored this debris, my map tells me so".

And for my Seamoth I've been able to build... (very minor facilities spoiler)
Spoiler:
A moonpool! :dance:. I had held off building a Seamoth because I remember from the Alpha that I seemed to burn through power cells a bit fast. But the moonpool recharges my Seamoth, which is very cool.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And done. Really, really fun ending.

Kinda sad. Great game.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im kinda wishing there was a play style that turned off batteries and power like there is for food and water.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Toss a battery charger in your base. Keep it full. Whenever you're in your base, just swap out all of your half-charged batteries and you'll never worry about it again.

It's also worth mentioning that struggling with power, food, and water is an early game thing, just like it is in so many other games. By the mid game you'll have discovered technologies that make it moot. Toward the end I circled the entire map with my cyclops two or three times and went from 100% power to ~97% power, and that's with it charging my seamoth and batteries.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im not playing it a lot. Just here and there. Im still in my pod.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just had one of those creepy feelings while out exploring that this game is good at.
Spoiler:
I decided I wanted to go back to that first pod I found. I knew the direction'ish and about how far. But I left at night because I wanted a different view. So Im way out swimming...and Im thinking it wasn't this far. Im about 700 - 800 clicks away from the pod. And the bottom just drops away. Nothing there. Deep. Kinda freaky.

So I decide to head back but as Im swimming I see something to my right down deeper. I head over and its this big ass piece of spaceship thats been ripped off. I got some scans of fish as I could. Theres some kind of mean ass shark all around it. I found nothing useful. My scanner or suit told me theres an extensive cave system running 100 m below. I couldn't look because all I have is a rebreather and advanced O2 tank.

Then I see something exciting...well more so. The biggest bioform Ive seen yet. It didn't look dangerous so swam over and scanned it. A Reefer or something. Scanned some stuff on it and cut some but my pod didn't know I even had it. Then home again. Fun time.
I wiish the wet lockers would show taken and empty slots in them at a glance. As is I have to open every one of them to find a slot to add something. Sure would be handy.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:43 am And done. Really, really fun ending.

Kinda sad. Great game.
I'm getting pretty close, but I'm still getting over my fear of...
Spoiler:
ghost leviathans so I can continue exploring the lost river. :P
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

You could always update the text on top to show available space after you mess with it.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

A tip or two for when you get the cyclops and start exploring the more dangerous, deeper areas.
Spoiler:
~Silent running is your friend. You can actually sneak past a bunch of the worst stuff and they won't pay any attention. Just turn off your lights (and remember that the cameras have lights, too.)
~Carry the creature lure torpedoes and the torpedo upgrade.
~If you get attacked, in quick succession, turn off silent, drop a lure, flank speed. Once you're just a little ways away - I'm talking seconds here - drop back to normal speed and turn on silent. If needed you can stay at flank and drop another lure to give yourself more space. And accidentally ramming a wall at flank speed is better than getting eaten by a leviathan. It worked for me in every single attack from every type of leviathan.
~When you get to the section below the Lost River, use the thermal reactor. Something will drain your power, and the thermal reactor will counter much of it.
~In reference to the above, you can clean your hull off instantly by turning your shields on and right back off. Saves a lot of swimming.
~Once you are exploring the lost river, leave the seamoth at home and bring a PRAWN suit. Much of what you'll encounter is too deep for a fully upgraded seamoth, and you'll want the drill arm anyway. Remember that the default arm can pick stuff up off the seabed, and that you can switch arms by hopping out and accessing the upgrades hatch. You always want to have the grappling and drill arms with you (and the jump jet upgrade is fantastic.)
One more PRAWN tip:
Spoiler:
It seems slow, but if you play it like Just Cause, the PRAWN suit can be one of the fasted vehicles in the game. Look at a spot just ahead. Grapple it, and once you start moving release the grapple. Repeatedly tap the jets just enough to stay airborne. You're essentially flying, and it is really, really quick.
And one Lost River tip:
Spoiler:
Take the prawn suit for a walk in the 'river' itself.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

:lol:

Fun reaper trick I confirmed last night btw...
Spoiler:
Apparently they love peepers, and if you have a peeper in your hand when one swims up to attack you, he'll take the peeper and swim off.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Now Im curious if that suit makes you look vaguely shrimp like so off to Google it.

EDIT: Darnit.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Sepiche wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:59 pm :lol:

Spoiler:
Apparently they love peepers, and if you have a peeper in your hand when one swims up to attack you, he'll take the peeper and swim off.
Is it possible you meant Stalker rather than Reaper?
Spoiler:
I know this works with Stalkers and Sand Sharks, it has never worked for me on any of the other aggressive lifeforms i.e. Reapers, Bonesharks, Crabsnakes or eels. Never tried to feed a Warper or Mesmer. Not sure if it is still in the game but in earlier builds Stalkers would actually become docile for awhile when you fed them.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Sepiche wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:59 pm :lol:

Spoiler:
I can't imagine holding my composure long enough in that situation to see it through. I just see a trail of brown and red water being all that's left behind.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Tao wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:17 pm Is it possible you meant Stalker rather than Reaper?
Spoiler:
I know this works with Stalkers and Sand Sharks, it has never worked for me on any of the other aggressive lifeforms i.e. Reapers, Bonesharks, Crabsnakes or eels. Never tried to feed a Warper or Mesmer. Not sure if it is still in the game but in earlier builds Stalkers would actually become docile for awhile when you fed them.
Ha, funny enough I never thought to try it on a stalker or sand shark, but no it was definitely a reaper.
Spoiler:
I got freaked out and looked away for a second as it swam up, but when I looked back the peeper was gone, I hadn't taken damage, and he was swimming away and appeared to be in the passive mode predators change to after they've been wounded.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Sepiche wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:28 pm
Tao wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:17 pm Is it possible you meant Stalker rather than Reaper?
Spoiler:
Ha, funny enough I never thought to try it on a stalker or sand shark, but no it was definitely a reaper.
Spoiler:
I got freaked out and looked away for a second as it swam up, but when I looked back the peeper was gone, I hadn't taken damage, and he was swimming away and appeared to be in the passive mode predators change to after they've been wounded.
I'll be damned.
Spoiler:
Black Lives Matter

Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Oh god, thank you for reminding me why I never, ever watch youtube let's play-ers. That guy was insufferable. Does he act like that all the time? There's no way that's not an act, right?

I'm too old for youtube.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Honestly, I didn't even watch it with audio, and don't know who he is (if he's anyone). I saw the title and skipped around until I found the bit that pertained to this discussion.

I follow very few channels on YouTube, though. Very few. Most would annoy me intensely, yet they have hundreds of thousands of followers (or more).
Black Lives Matter

Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Watch that with audio. Listen to what you've inflicted upon us.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Side story. The first time my son played, it took a while for the Aurora to do its thing. Unknowingly, he built his base on one of the tall pillars in the grassy plateau. Which then became the exact center of the radiation zone, and back then getting the radiation suit wasn't nearly as easy as it is now.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Now that I've finished it, a couple of tips for avoiding a couple of bugs. The game wasn't that buggy, but there were a couple, including one that you don't want to save during.

If you get a little lifepod icon on your screen that won't go away, go into your PDA, turn on the lifepod beacon and then turn it right back off.

Be very careful with moonpools. I personally would recommend never using the ladder. Install a hatch on the side instead. Something with how it transitions from water to air sometimes breaks on that ladder. You fall back into the water, but the game thinks you're in air. You then fall straight to the ocean floor taking full fall damage. Assuming you survive, you're stuck there. You can walk around like it is dry ground, but can't swim, including to get into your base. The only way to get back to normal is to enter a vehicle or structure then exit again (which resets the transition back the way it is supposed to be.) This happened to me in two games now. The first time I had to reload, and it had been a while since I'd saved. The second time I was able to walk around the sea floor and find a single quartz, then was able to get close enough to my base to disassemble a couple of corridors. I rebuilt the corridor, added a hatch, entered, and exited.
tl;dr - don't use moonpool ladders.

Sometimes if you get stuck on the terrain inside your cyclops, it will glitch it out and the cyclops will hurtle through the depths, sometimes a few feet, sometimes hundreds of meters. This only happened a couple of times, but be aware of it.

Remember that you only have one save. If you do something stupid and then save, you're stuck with it. I recommend manually backing up your save. It is somewhere in /steam/steamapps/common/subnautica/*something*app/
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:38 pm Be very careful with moonpools.
Without even thinking about it, I built my moonpool as a standalone structure. So you can do that. And, oddly, when I would delete a portion of my seabase nearby, the seamoth would pop out of the bottom, stay for a moment, then pop back up. Fun!

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:38 pm Remember that you only have one save. If you do something stupid and then save, you're stuck with it. I recommend manually backing up your save. It is somewhere in /steam/steamapps/common/subnautica/*something*app/
My path was C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Subnautica\SNAppData\SavedGames. Just over 1500 items in the two folders there, options and slot0000.

Anyone recommend a freeware simple backup program that can be set to do scheduled backups every X number of minutes? I have one but the most frequently it does one is once a day.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:38 pm
Be very careful with moonpools.
tl;dr - don't use moonpool ladders.
Good to know. I have trouble even climbing the ladder - I always seem to fall off and do a 3 quick dunks before I get eventually get out. Most of the time I try to swim in fast and just hop out onto the ledge, but sometimes I miss judge it and hit the rail and fall back in. From now on though I'm just going in through a nearby hatch.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I moved my moonpool to connect to the lower level. All very nice except above it is the scanner room, so in the middle of the room is this short antenna going round and round :doh:

By the way, stalkers love the scanner room mobile cameras. I first found this out when I was moving a camera and all the sudden there were was this giant tooth in the middle of the screen and the camera started traveling by itself :shock:. I had to go bring it back.

When I started doing the mapping the game became more fun, but now with the Seamoth it have become most excellent :dance:. Each trip in the Seamoth is like an adventure; I pack some rations, grab a battery or two and head out to the deep blue, finding all sorts of new things. Very cool.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

They really nailed the feel on the seamoth. I love just taking it and zipping through the shallows and kelp forests, zooming through the tunnels and chasms.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That video guy is markiplier or something. Very popular. I cant stand him.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Damn, should the Multipurpose Room be that hard to acquire? I have several items I can now build that require that room and I haven't seen a single fragment of it.

On the other hand, I'm finding all sorts of cool places in Subnautica. Amazing how it is all located in just a couple square kilometers.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

A few progressively more spoilery hints on the multipurpose room. Open as many as you like.
Spoiler:
It isn't fragments
Spoiler:
You want to find a whole room
Spoiler:
Your radio will eventually send you there
Spoiler:
It isn't in the water
Spoiler:
It is to the south of the Aurora
And the whole shebang:
Spoiler:
It is on the floater island, south of the Aurora. There are three mini-bases already set up there with a variety of rooms and accessories. Make sure you get the planters, too, and the four food plants that are available in them to grow for yourself.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:30 am A few progressively more spoilery hints on the multipurpose room. Open as many as you like.
Thanks :wub:. It was driving me crazy. This must be different than the alpha, because I build that type of room early on during each run-through.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And it turned out that the very next radio message turned me on to the sequence that got the multipurpose room, so if I had waited I would have gotten it on my own :roll:. Well, no matter, I'm now building and building and oops, I've out of titanium and quartz. Gotta go search for them.

And lockers? We got lockers!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Aren't the 'floor lockers' more efficient ?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Unagi wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:33 am Aren't the 'floor lockers' more efficient ?
Yes, but I prefer having a label on the locker. Also I'd rather have a locker for each type of item, at least for now. And a floor locker uses quartz and I'm burning through that fast.