Nintendo Switch = NX

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Scraper

Re: Nintendo Switch = NX

Post by Scraper »

ChuckB, you do realize that xenolade Chronicles 2 is a classic style RPG and it's pretty good. There's also I am Setsuna.
Last edited by Scraper on Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FTE
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

And Ys VIII coming soon. Haven't played any of that series but I hear it's decent.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I was bored to tears trying to play I Am Setsuna, for whatever that is worth.
-mf
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Also, Darkest Dungeon just hit the eShop. I grabbed it but haven't dug in yet.

https://kotaku.com/darkest-dungeon-is-e ... 1822199282
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Switch ordered with Mario+rabbids and Mario as well. Next up will probably be a second playthrough of Zelda.
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Scraper wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:03 am ChuckB, you donrealize that xenolade Chronicles 2 is a classic style RPG and it's pretty good. There's also I am Setsuna.
Yes, thanks - I'll try it. It looks somewhat complicated and huge but I saw some very positive reviews (and some not so good ones, of course).
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:57 am Also, Darkest Dungeon just hit the eShop. I grabbed it but haven't dug in yet.

https://kotaku.com/darkest-dungeon-is-e ... 1822199282
I played DD quite a bit on my PC and liked it but don't think I'll get it again. These days, the mobility (thank god, I used to travel internationally A LOT in my last job) isn't such a huge deal for me anymore
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:29 am I was bored to tears trying to play I Am Setsuna, for whatever that is worth.
Agreed. I was initially pretty excited for it, but it ended up being one of the most boring games I’ve ever played.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Bought Zelda: Breath of the Wild today. I like it but I hate the *#(&$)(@&(&$*# Nintendo controls After playing Xbox, having all the buttons swapped is head-poundingly frustrating. I know it's not the system's fault, but this old dog is finding it hard to learn new tricks.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:00 pm Bought Zelda: Breath of the Wild today. I like it but I hate the *#(&$)(@&(&$*# Nintendo controls After playing Xbox, having all the buttons swapped is head-poundingly frustrating. I know it's not the system's fault, but this old dog is finding it hard to learn new tricks.
It wouldn't be nearly so bad if they didn't use the same letters, but put them in different places. Years of "Y" being the top button has trained me to reach up when I see "Y."
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
stessier

Post by stessier »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:00 pm Bought Zelda: Breath of the Wild today. I like it but I hate the *#(&$)(@&(&$*# Nintendo controls After playing Xbox, having all the buttons swapped is head-poundingly frustrating. I know it's not the system's fault, but this old dog is finding it hard to learn new tricks.
+1000! I couldn't figure out why I kept dying when hitting the buttons like they said and then I looked at the labels and was like :doh:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
morlac

Post by morlac »

Scraper wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:03 am ChuckB, you do realize that xenolade Chronicles 2 is a classic style RPG and it's pretty good. There's also I am Setsuna.
And NBA2K18 is solid on it as well and one of my most played. But the rest of the sport games are weak. Mario Tennis looks like a blast though.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

I've had my switch for a grand total of two days and I'm already loving it. The portability is amazing. I love how versatile the system is.

I picked up an extra set of joy cons and I find the controller perfectly comfortable so I think I am passing on the pro controller.

Games I've picked up so far...

Mario Odyssey - played it for about ten minutes so far, looks like good old mario, enjoying it, but will get to later.
Mario + Rabbids- This game is a surprise to me. I love it. I had no idea about it. I am really enjoying the turn based action and of course the production value is very high.
Zelda- I haven't played it on switch yet. I have already played through it on the Wii U, but I am planning on a second play through eventually.
Overcooked- Fun little game of cooking frantically, and a great 4 player game. It's just about the perfect party game. I'm seeing my nieces this next week, I think they will love it.

Probably getting rocket league eventually. Very happy with the system so far. Plenty of games for now. I don't see a lot of huge things on the horizon but I'm sure things will come out that surprise.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Chrisoc13 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:06 pm Overcooked- Fun little game of cooking frantically, and a great 4 player game. It's just about the perfect party game. I'm seeing my nieces this next week, I think they will love it.
I didn't realize this was available!!! I really want to get it as the online vids I watched make it look great for a family of four.

Last night my wife and I were playing Mario Kart 8 with our kids watching. My wife, never the biggest gamer, is still learning and there is nothing funnier than hearing my 8 year old patronizing my wife on her 8th place finish and how she'll do better next time. :D
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Who's in for Celeste? This one was largely not on my radar, but it dropped today to ridiculously positive reviews (IGN's first 10 of 2018, for example), citing an awesome soundtrack, great level design that's difficult but not unfair, tight controls, and a well-written touching story.

I've already grabbed the fantastic soundtrack after sampling it during the workday.

Surprisingly stoked about this one.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Pixel graphics platformer for anyone wondering what the game actually is...

Both are strikes against for me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Thought the video link would have conveyed that. :) I'm not a fan of pixel art games in general, but for some reason the style of this one is grabbing me. We'll see tonight, I guess!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Early impressions after chapter 1 plus a small part of chapter 2: positive.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Still Loving my switch.

I haven't stayed up to date with video games at all for the last decade. I've still occasionally picked up titles that interest me but largely I've moved to table top gaming. With that being said I'm finding it hard to find a good website to look at for release dates, reviews, etc. In my previous video game life I used gone gold, then eventually ign. I'm shocked with how terrible and useless ign is now. It's just garbage. What do people use to get information now a days? Honestly bgg has spoiled me with board games as it is just so good and the user base is so good. Any tips when I'm looking for switch information?
morlac

Post by morlac »

I somehow missed that Titan Quest is coming to the Switch sometime in 2018. This will be third time/system I have bought it for. I keep rebuying games for the switch that I already own on PC and I am perfectly fine with that ;)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

morlac wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:20 pm I somehow missed that Titan Quest is coming to the Switch sometime in 2018. This will be third time/system I have bought it for. I keep rebuying games for the switch that I already own on PC and I am perfectly fine with that ;)
Damn, I hadn't heard that yet, either. Probably will also re-buy.

In other news, Nintendo announced today that the Switch has now outsold the Wii U's lifetime run. In 10 months.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:01 pm I just ordered a second power cable for the Switch so I can play uninterrupted next week while I am in bed after my surgery.
I finally had my surgery and the switch came in handy while I was in the hospital overnight all by myself (wife was home with one of our kids who had the flu). I am enjoying Kingdom Battles, but it is pretty easy so far.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
morlac

Post by morlac »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:22 pm
morlac wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:20 pm I somehow missed that Titan Quest is coming to the Switch sometime in 2018. This will be third time/system I have bought it for. I keep rebuying games for the switch that I already own on PC and I am perfectly fine with that ;)
Damn, I hadn't heard that yet, either. Probably will also re-buy.

In other news, Nintendo announced today that the Switch has now outsold the Wii U's lifetime run. In 10 months.
Go ahead and add Victor Vran overkill edition and Pillars of Eternity 2 to the RPG list.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Well, now that Bayonetta 2 has been ported to the Switch, I'm officially tempted to get one. Oy.
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

In fact, if you order today (before tomorrow's release) from Amazon (OO link!) you can get Bayonetta 2 for $47.99, and it comes with a download code for Bayonetta 1. I was unable to resist.

Get yourself a Switch, dude.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:57 am In fact, if you order today (before tomorrow's release) from Amazon (OO link!) you can get Bayonetta 2 for $47.99, and it comes with a download code for Bayonetta 1. I was unable to resist.

Amazon's 20% off used to be for pre-order and up to two weeks after release. I wonder when that changed.

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/08/16/ ... -are-gone/

And the answer is August 2017 it seems.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I also found out today that if you're a digital-preferred person, you can buy both from the eShop and the 2nd one will be auto-discounted such that your total cost for both is $59.99. I still went with Amazon to save the $12 as I don't think I'll feel the need to keep the 2nd one rather than trading it eventually. But it's an option that's not immediately obvious since the eShop pricing suggests it'd cost more than $60 to buy both digitally.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:57 am In fact, if you order today (before tomorrow's release) from Amazon (OO link!) you can get Bayonetta 2 for $47.99, and it comes with a download code for Bayonetta 1. I was unable to resist.

Oh, damn, that's a good deal.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:20 pm

Amazon's 20% off used to be for pre-order and up to two weeks after release. I wonder when that changed.

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/08/16/ ... -are-gone/

And the answer is August 2017 it seems.
This is the exact reason why I switched to the Best Buy Gamers Club. It's only $30 per year and the 20% off applies to every single game they have for sale and even most hardware. It even adds to existing sale prices.

I just ordered Bayonetta 2 from BB today and I had a $5 off coupon. So my total price was $42.99 pre tax.
FTE
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

I buy all my games (for all platforms) electronically/digital and there is a Bayonetta deal for that, too:

I bought Bayonetta 1 (I think it was $29) and got 40% off Bayonetta 2 (both digital), using the regular Nintendo eShop.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Way to bury the lede--how are they on Switch??
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:56 pm Way to bury the lede--how are they on Switch??
I have only played the first one on the Switch (and played it back then on the PS3). In the very beginning, I was a bit concerned about fast movements being somewhat blurry but I think that was only in one of the very frantic Prologue levels. It looks very good on the small Switch screen and on my TV (55in) and plays very well so far. I'm always amazed by how good the (internal) sound is on the little console and that's apparent here, too.
I'm quite impressed and it seems to be a good game for this console IMO
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Awesome, thanks. My copy arrives tomorrow.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Me: "I'm not sure I'd really play these again."
Trailer: Mega Man music begins playing
Me: "OK, I'm in."
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:15 pm There's a 99% chance your son is getting a Switch for Hannukah.
He did not. The 1% won out and he got a 2DS XL instead. He loves it, especially the Kirby game he owns and Mario Kart, and I’ve played a bunch of Zelda on it. It’s a great system with a huge backlog of cheap games.

We were hoping this cheaper alternative would curtail his incessant lust for a Switch but of course it hasn’t. His friends all have Switches and he talks about playing them all the time. He’s been doing odd jobs and saving up his money to buy one for himself and has now earned a grand total of $87. Not even close to enough, but his birthday is just a little over a week away and he’s asking all his friends and relatives, including us, to give him money so he can get a Switch and a game (he’s obsessed with Arms for some reason. One of his friends has it).

To make a long story short, I ordered a Switch this morning. Got a decent deal on it from Newegg— no tax, free shipping, and a $20 gift card— and I found Mario Oddessy on sale for $42 shipped and got that too. All that’s left for me to purchase is Arms and some accessories (I’ll certainly get Zelda for myself down the road).

I figure I should get a screen protector and a case. Wonderpug had some recommendations on these earlier in the thread when the Switch first came out, so I’ll go for those unless anyone has updated suggestions.

Also, does anyone know if my son and I will be able to play Arms together with just the joy cons that come in the box or do I need to buy an extra controller? Anything else I should think about getting now?

TL:DR It took awhile but I’m finally joining you guys in the Switch family.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

From your description of what he likes on the 2DS, it seems like Mario Kart would be a given.
Captain Caveman

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:48 pm From your description of what he likes on the 2DS, it seems like Mario Kart would be a given.
My only hesitancy there is he already has it on the 2DS and I expect it’s pretty similar. It’d probably just replace the one he already has.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, it depends on which he has, but the real appeal of the Switch version is the ability for two people to grab a joycon and play together.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

In case anyone's been holding out on getting a 2nd dock, Amazon has them down from the completely ludicrous normal price of $89.99 to the only somewhat outrageous price of $59.99.

Back-ordered, but only by a couple of weeks right now.
Captain Caveman

I have a Switch! Well, my kid does but I play it after he goes to sleep. :)

We have Arms (his choice, haven't played it yet) and Mario (just pure whimsy and delightfulness). And Zelda is on it's way for me.

I've been really impressed with it so far. The ease of transitioning between the TV and handheld is great, and it works really well as a handheld. The only bump slowing down the process a bit is switching the joycons from the controller to back on the console. But that's a minor complaint. Switching from playing a modern, HD Mario on the TV to the handheld when my wife wants to use the TV is just a perfect solution for us.

I didn't really like playing with the joycons in each hand separately but have found putting them on the controller to be a perfectly acceptable way to play. I was originally considering a pro controller but it's expensive and the inbox controller with the joycons attached seems to work well enough for me and so now I've decided to hold off.

Anyway, two thumbs up so far.