Subnautica - another stranded survival game..looks good.

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Tao

Re: Subnautica - another stranded survival game..looks good.

Post by Tao »

50 hours in with less than an hour to go to finish the main story line and my game is bugged. As soon as I log in I fall through the world and become trap in a space that is not really part of the game world. :grund: :grund: Big time pissed at the moment!

Major Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Do not save your game in the Alien containment Aquarium with the Empress!!
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I can't look them up right now, but there is a teleport console command of some sort. You could also try right clicking your save file and seeing if 'restore previous versions' can help (back it up first, or course.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Done. That was awesome if a bit confusing at times.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Tao wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:59 pm 50 hours in with less than an hour to go to finish the main story line and my game is bugged. As soon as I log in I fall through the world and become trap in a space that is not really part of the game world. :grund: :grund: Big time pissed at the moment!

Major Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Do not save your game in the Alien containment Aquarium with the Empress!!
the console command: warpme

(escape freeze your game, hit F3 to select the box that allows for the console to work. I think ~ brings up the console.

the warpme command will bring your character to (I think) the last base you went in. (pretty sure that's how it works). Not sure where your prawn suit is.
Montag

Post by Montag »

This looks great in VR. VR has its bugs, but the added immersion is awesome.
words
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Montag wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:07 am This looks great in VR. VR has its bugs, but the added immersion is awesome.
Ooh, yeah I could see this as a pretty good platform for VR. I need to get me one of them headsets...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Expansion officially incoming:
https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/su ... elow-zero/

New, stand alone adventure set after the events of the base game in the polar regions of the planet.

Should be coming to early access in the next few months.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Nice, I'm in!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm absolutely in. Subnautica is on of my favorite games from the past few years.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'll be getting it, but I won't make the mistake again of picking it up in Early Access.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:27 pmI'll be getting it, but I won't make the mistake again of picking it up in Early Access.
Are they even doing an EA? They've got the mechanics down, the art down, the theme down, the UI down ... it's just a different map/story.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Paingod wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:43 am
jztemple2 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:27 pmI'll be getting it, but I won't make the mistake again of picking it up in Early Access.
Are they even doing an EA? They've got the mechanics down, the art down, the theme down, the UI down ... it's just a different map/story.
From the site:
In the coming months, we will release an unfinished, early version of Below Zero in Early Access. We will then begin releasing consistent content updates, carefully crafting the game based on your feedback - Just like the original Subnautica.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Ah, I see. That's a pass. While I thought the EA for Subnautica was very well done, I've got the finished product now and don't feel compelled to chase another EA version.
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The EA for the base game was excellent, and I had more fun with it than many finished games. I also firmly believe that the quality of the finished product was a direct result of the feedback and playtesting from the EA. That's what EA is supposed to be all about!

With that said, I'd prefer to jump into the finished version for my first look at the new world. I may buy it in early access if it is substantially cheaper than the final release, but I don't play to play it until it is done.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

...not only good, but for a limited time it's :wub: FREE :wub: at Epic Games.
It appears to have a pretty involved sci-fi story. I finished Outcast this year and want to continue the "alien itch".

I'd also suggest not reading or watching anything about Subnautica ( even the rest of this topic). The supreme joy here will be found in your own discoveries, creativity,and problem-solving.
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Read nothing, just play.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Archinerd wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:11 am Read nothing, just play.
+1 ... thousand. :wink:

Can't go wrong with FREE Subnautica. One of the better indie games to come out in the last few years.
Black Lives Matter

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

What screwed Subnautica for me was playing in Early Access. I did the opening areas several times so when the full game came out I just didn't have the energy to go through the whole thing again.

Still, it is an amazing game, one of the best survival games out there. I put in eighty hours on it and maybe someday I'll go back again and give it another try. And as everyone is saying, since you're getting it for free, don't read or what the Let's Play videos. However, it is alright to post questions here :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:55 pm What screwed Subnautica for me was playing in Early Access. I did the opening areas several times so when the full game came out I just didn't have the energy to go through the whole thing again.
I think played through four times - three of them during early access. The early areas are still beautiful and enjoyable, as the further areas are equally so in their own ways.

I wouldn't say it screwed the game for me, though. I just haven't been in a mood to go back
Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:55 pm Still, it is an amazing game, one of the best survival games out there. I put in eighty hours on it and maybe someday I'll go back again and give it another try. And as everyone is saying, since you're getting it for free, don't read or what the Let's Play videos. However, it is alright to post questions here :D
If you do get stuck and want to see what others are doing, I would recommend Cougarific's Let's Play.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

To me this is THE BEST survival game out there hands down. Ive tried the mp ones like Rust and DayZ and such and some other single player ones like Forest and Stranded Deep and this one is TONS better. The only other one I feel is even good is This War of Mine.

Also dont rip your hair out deciding to play with food and water on or off. You really miss nothing with them turned off except for a little hassle in the beginning. With them on it gives you something extra to do that gets easier over time. So both ways to play are fine.
Last edited by Daehawk on Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Not sure I've ever played a "survival game" unless Don't Starve counts as such. I gave up on that one after a couple of hours because I just couldn't figure out what the heck was going on.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The survival elements, in my experience, aren't that tough after the first few hours (and even then food and water are readily available - they're just a constant need.) I think I'd describe it as an exploration/adventure game with survival elements rather than a straight survival game.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:48 pm The survival elements, in my experience, aren't that tough after the first few hours (and even then food and water are readily available - they're just a constant need.)
I think the survival elements add a perfect sense of "life and death" to the beginning of the game - and consistently leave you feeling like you're preparing for an adventure each time you leave your base later. Call be strange, but I liked packing a stack of food and water into my minisub before taking off across the world. It never felt cumbersome after learning the ropes.
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Absolutely! And the only thing that really changed later on was that the food became more efficient and easier to find. You spent less time on 20% food looking for your next meal.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

...and I'll say the opposite of the sort of thing I say in the XCOM2 thread, you do have the option of turning off most of the survival bit. You still need air, but food and water are taken out of the equation.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'd argue that that's part of the experience, though. Early on it really gives you the feeling of being stranded somewhere alien. You are surrounded by plants and animals, but you're never sure as to what's hostile, what's edible, and what's straight up toxic. Learning the world is fun. Turn off food and water and it is all just scenery.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:37 pm I'd argue that that's part of the experience, though. Early on it really gives you the feeling of being stranded somewhere alien. You are surrounded by plants and animals, but you're never sure as to what's hostile, what's edible, and what's straight up toxic. Learning the world is fun. Turn off food and water and it is all just scenery.
I'd agree that for anyone who has never played it, you should enable the need for food and water; I think that's called survival mode IIRC. It was part of the fun of exploration... "Can I eat that? Yes! Oh, can I eat that? Yuck, no. And can I eat that? No, it wants to eat me.... arghh!!!"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Subnautic co-op mod

https://www.pcgamer.com/play-subnautica ... s-new-mod/
Its creator Sunrunner says it's still in "very early stages of development", but the foundation for a full co-op playthrough is there: it has synced player movement, basic animations, base building and item dropping, as well as a rudimentary chat system.

Because it's so early, Sunrunner isn't recommended for "casual play", but if you don't want to wait for extra polish you can download the installer from its Nexus page (you'll have to login to your Nexus account first).
Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Way late to the party on this one. I didn't quite "get it" for the first hour or so, but now that I have close to 10 hours I think I understand why this is so highly rated. Once you get over that initial food/water hump and can start to really start exploring, the game definitely opens wide. My limits now are my inability to find things to upgrade the Seamoth. For the longest time, I couldn't find sulfur - which meant it was easier to build a new radio in an undersea base than repair the one in the life raft.

Anyway, I feel like I'm just now getting started and there is a certain relaxation element (at least in the shallows) I've found with playing. The story isn't quite what I expected and I'm still not really sure what to make of it. I can say that the radio is way more important than I initially realized - that's really when the game opened wide for me - when the radio was prodding me along.

I think the only thing that I'm finding difficult is how easy it is to get lost or disoriented. I know I can build beacons, but I kinda wish the game just let you flag or remember areas with a GPS marker. That would certainly make things a bit easier.

Regardless, I've had this sitting around for a long time. If you have a copy that's also sitting around, definitely give it a whirl.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Should we tell him about the tentacles?
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Got badly triggered by the game, put it aside. Perhaps in a little while when I'm looking for something to play.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Lorini wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:20 am Got badly triggered by the game, put it aside. Perhaps in a little while when I'm looking for something to play.
Badly triggered? Is this something to do with Roy Rodger's horse? I guess that would be "badly Triggered" :D

Sorry, couldn't resist :roll:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:15 pm Should we tell him about the tentacles?
I've seen things off in the distance, but nothing close up. That might be a problem, yes - and one of the reasons I'd initially avoided the game. :D
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Here are the only tips you really need in this game:

The radio is your quest giver.

The need for materials and technology is the gameplay loop that drives exploration.

The radio tells you to go to A. Exploration gives you the tech to do so, further exploration gives you the materials. The radio tells you about B. Other than that, just have fun.

And look out behind you.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think my only complaint is that it seems way too reliant on randomly stumbling across some things. By way of example, I just last night found the final bit of the battery charger blueprint after playing ~10 hours. I have almost all the parts of the sub but was lacking any way to charge batteries. I haven't even found the power cell charger yet. I dunno. I guess thematically the randomness makes a bit of sense. Maybe I'm just used to a more linear progression of unlocks?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:26 pm I think my only complaint is that it seems way too reliant on randomly stumbling across some things. By way of example, I just last night found the final bit of the battery charger blueprint after playing ~10 hours. I have almost all the parts of the sub but was lacking any way to charge batteries. I haven't even found the power cell charger yet. I dunno. I guess thematically the randomness makes a bit of sense. Maybe I'm just used to a more linear progression of unlocks?
I wouldn't say that it is entirely random. Those parts are seeded in certain areas and wreckage which behooves you to be systematic in your searches. As Blackhawk says, if the radio says there is something at a certain location, it is really worthwhile to carefully search there and near there. And be systematic when searching near your pod, so you don't overlook any areas. I had scratch paper maps and notes galore when I played.

I really wished I hadn't started playing this game in Early Access; well, actually before Early Access. By the time the full game came out I was completely burned out. This is why I'm ignoring the new game.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That might be part of my problem. I get the radio messages, deal with what they're telling me and then another one comes in and I jump to that one. I hadn't really been searching the areas around where the messages were telling me to go because (in part) it took me so long to build a radio (because I couldn't repair mine) that the messages were coming in fast and furious. I'm at the point (I guess) where I know things I need (generally), so it feels like I'm arbitrarily randomly searching for them now. I'm probably not playing the game in the way it was designed.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:47 pm That might be part of my problem. I get the radio messages, deal with what they're telling me and then another one comes in and I jump to that one. I hadn't really been searching the areas around where the messages were telling me to go because (in part) it took me so long to build a radio (because I couldn't repair mine) that the messages were coming in fast and furious. I'm at the point (I guess) where I know things I need (generally), so it feels like I'm arbitrarily randomly searching for them now. I'm probably not playing the game in the way it was designed.
The locations where the messages point you to won't go away, so there's no rush in getting there. At least that's how I remember it. Also, and I was remiss in not thinking of this earlier, the route between the pod and the radio location can also be the source of a number of items. Carefully search the bottom for significant accumulations of stuff.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, that's what I'm going back to do now (and how I finally found the parts for the battery charger) - diving deep with the Seamoth and scanning the bottom en route to the way point it wants me to go to. There's one now I can't get to because it's deep (so deep) which is now I know I missed something and need to poke around to find upgrades. About the only thing annoying me now are those damn mud shark and all their banging and poking into my vehicle. Deeper it was some other shark type that was harassing the hell out of me. I need bang sticks, I guess. :D