Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by Jeff V »

Mont Rocher Malbec, France. I don't generally list wines in this thread, mostly because they are swill wines. This one is of note because I believe it's the first Malbec I've had than didn't come from South America. This was procured at a BOGO event at a nearby swillery; I don't recall the exact list price but it was probably in the $15 range, Good thing it was on sale because it's comparable to Malbec's I've had at half the price. It did go well with the steak I made for dinner, though.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Frank's Golden Cream Ale by Bur Oak Brewing Co., Columbia, MO. Do you like cream soda? Because that's what this is, but in beer form. Unfiltered urine yellow, this ale is brewed with Madagascar vanilla and the cream soda effect is not subtle. At only 5.4% ABV, it's on par with similar offerings from A&W and IBC. It's good though, but then again, once upon a time I loved cream soda.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Galaxy IPA by Big Muddy Brewing, Murphysboro, IL. It's not often that an IPA made with Galaxy hops is found in the DYO six pack section, but this was and I jumped at it.

This is a delicious beer, mellow, sweet flavor not unlike many double IPAs. 7.5% abv is on par with a standard IPA.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Big Easy IPA by Abita Brewing, Abita Springs, LA. Claims to be a beer brewed with lemon peels. But the 4.5% abv suggests a lemonade with beer flavoring. Note I didn't say "hard lemonade."
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Fulton Street Blend by Goose Island Brewery. A previous iteration of this beer featured local roaster Intelligensia Coffee, but no roaster is named in this latest batch. The coffee flavor is stronger, almost like a toffee. Sweeter than I remembered it being before, but ok. At 5.5% ABV, you'll have to rely on the coffee to give you any sort of buzz.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

mori wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:43 pm Founders Azacca IPA. Azacca is the Haitian god of agriculture. I understand it is some voodoo thing and they named a hop variety after this god. A good beer that is loaded with tropical fruit and citrus flavors. I guess it is going to be a seasonal beer and I would pick this up again.
Having one now. A little too much going on, it's fine as a one off but would be a little much after 6 or 12. Only 7% abv though so if you do indulge to that degree, you'll not lose any mental acuity.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone know if this is good?

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

RM9 is licking his monitor.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That good huh? Expensive though :(
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Lagunitas Maximus IPA, Lagunitas Brewing Co, Petalnuma, CA. One thing I like about this brewery is they offer bombers for around $5. This is on part with those I've had at twice the price. 8.2% ABV would be more awesome if they sold this in bomber six packs. It's a nice closer for a rough week now that the kids are put away (for the moment, at least). It's an "unlimited release" so hurry and buy some so they will make so more!
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Somersby Red Rhubarb cider. A little sweeter and less nuanced than when we first found it on summer closeout a few months ago. At the time I was disappointed it was pulled from the local shelf right after discovering we liked it. Then was delighted to find presumably old stock at a store local to my folks' when we were visiting last weekend.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Ballast Point High West Barrel Aged Victory at Sea, San Diego, CA. At $15/4 with a limit of one 4 pack, this is normally out of my price range for an untried beer. However, when I bought this a month ago, I was planning to visit a sick friend, I was going to bring some gumbo (some of you might recall the annual gumbo fest I attended, he was the host). This friend and I had been playing boardgames since we were in high school, mid 70's. One of these games was Avalon Hill's Victory at Sea. My friend was to become a graduate of the Merchant Marine Academy and a navy vet.

That meeting never took place and last week he died.

Last night a group of us, my oldest, dearest friends got to gather but I could not attend because of a sick baby. I would have shared this beer with friends. So today I'm having a solitary toast to my old friend.

The beer itself reminds me of Boulder Shake. The vanilla and coffee combine to give it a mocha flavor. Smooth and a little sweet. Not sure how it compares with the much cheaper, brewery vat aged version ($10/6), but it's a tasty drinkable porter. At 12% ABV, it'll take some restraint not to drink all 4 before the game starts in 2 hours.
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

Rekorderlig Wild Berries Cider

It's not... "bad". It's just so sweet without any nuance at all. I can't even taste the booze. So one might as well mix Mountain Dew Code Red with a little vodka if berry-flaboured sugar and alcohol were all they were after.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Enlarge Image

Gnam Gnam double IPA with mango, lemongrass and chili by Stillwater. Not as weird as I thought it would be; the flavors pull together nicely. I wouldn't go out of my way to track it down, but I'd happily have it again.
mori

Post by mori »

I saw a list recently that had this as one of the best Scotch of 2017 so I sought it out and purchased a bottle. My first Lowland Scotch. It is very different from the Highland and Islay Scotch that I am use to drinking. This takes on the character of the casks much more. A lot of Sherry. Very fruity.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So I bought a 6-pack of this...

It was okay but nothing special. A little orange color but not much tangerine taste.

I also bought a 6 pack of this...

I haven't tried it yet though.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Enlarge Image

Sierra Nevada Hop Bullet Double IPA, Chico, CA. Made with Magnum hops and "lupulin dust", this is a very smooth, easy drinking beer. It's 8% ABV and only $15/12 on sale, so it's a wonderful bargain for any sessions you might have planned.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Apocalypse IPA by 10 Barrel Brewing, Bend, OR. A very unremarkable IPA lacking a defined hop profile. Filtered to a nice gold color, I just wish it had more flavor. Or lacking that, more booze. At 6.8% ABV, there are far better choices to be had when the zombies come.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Titan IPA by Great Divide Brewing Co., Denver, CO. After the flavor-challenged Apocalypse, this beer was like a kick in the taste buds. In a blind taste test, though, I'd never call this an IPA. Caramelized malt is the predominant flavor, very much like a scotch ale. At only 7.1% ABV, however, it's more of a scotch ale lite. Delicious, though.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Wee Mac Scottish Style Ale by Sun King Brewery, Indianapolis, IN. Sun King beer is pretty ubiquitous in Indy, this is the first time I've seen it here. Note it says "Scottish Style" and does not presume to be an honest Scotch ale. Clocking in at an anemic 5.4% ABV, this beer has the medium brown color down but little else. The Titan has far more flavor and this beer fails in comparison.
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

I had this last night. Prairie Artisan Ales Pirate Noir from Oklahoma. An imperial stout aged in Jamaican Rum barrels weighing in at 12% ABV. The beer is hot with alcohol and very sweet. I am kind of over these kind of beers and this cost me $10 for a single 12 oz bottle. I will not be seeking this out again.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Odd Side Ales Passion Juice, Grand Rapids, MI. Reminiscent of the mango ales that sprouted like weeds last year, Passion Juice is infused with rather tart passion fruit squeezings. Now, I love a good passion fruit tea (P.F. Chang's, it's been too long!) The tartness in this beer needs some tempering though. Perhaps doubling the 6% ABV would help?
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Tale of the Shony Scottish Ale by Church Street Brewery. This beer reinforces the idea that if you want to be lied to, go to Church. This is the first time this brewery has failed me, and had done so utterly. The flavor resembles a tepid brown ale, like Newcastle. The 5.1% ABV is inexcusable; the brewmeister deserves to be beaten with an oversized link of haggis.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Undercover Investigation Shut-Down, Lagunitas Brewing Co., Chicago, IL. A demonic beer (IBU: 66.6), this ale has a pleasant sweetness and a comforting 9.7% ABV. Perfect end to a Monday, wish I had 12 more.
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:47 pm Odd Side Ales Passion Juice, Grand Rapids, MI. Reminiscent of the mango ales that sprouted like weeds last year, Passion Juice is infused with rather tart passion fruit squeezings. Now, I love a good passion fruit tea (P.F. Chang's, it's been too long!) The tartness in this beer needs some tempering though. Perhaps doubling the 6% ABV would help?
Odd Side Ales is Grand Haven, not Grand Rapids.

They make good stuff!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Thanks for the correction. I googled it and glanced at the map, I had already tossed the bottle.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:43 pm Enlarge Image

Sierra Nevada Hop Bullet Double IPA, Chico, CA. Made with Magnum hops and "lupulin dust", this is a very smooth, easy drinking beer. It's 8% ABV and only $15/12 on sale, so it's a wonderful bargain for any sessions you might have planned.
I had one of those Saturday. That is probably at the top of my bitter scale. Not that I disliked it but given an option I would choose something else.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Scuzz wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:47 pm

I had one of those Saturday. That is probably at the top of my bitter scale. Not that I disliked it but given an option I would choose something else.
My only gripe is that it goes down too smoothly for the high ABV, so I ended up drinking more in an evening than I really wanted to. Quite tasty, though. One might say too tasty.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

My wife and I had the day off yesterday and it was her birthday, so why not hit up our favorite little pub in the country for lunch?

Got to finally try a beer that make a big splash here last spring, M-43 from Old Nation Brewing Company. Impossible to find all summer...

I'd been resistant to try the NE IPA style because, TBH, it sounds like lazy brewing to me. "Intentionally Cloudy" my ass...lazy brewing!

This was really quite nice. Massive citrus hop flavor with very little hop bitterness. I only had two beers and both of them were this.

https://oldnationbrewing.com/beer/m-43/
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Escapist American IPA by Temperance Beer Co., Evanston, IL. Temperance makes some good beer and this is one of them, even if reminds me more of an English ESB. At only 6.7% ABV, Temperance could have made a killing with this beer during prohibition.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Z-Corn wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:58 pm I'd been resistant to try the NE IPA style because, TBH, it sounds like lazy brewing to me. "Intentionally Cloudy" my ass...lazy brewing!
There are a some beer styles that conventionally are unfiltered, German hefeweizen and Belgian trappist styles come to mind. IPAs are less consistent, some are filtered, some are not. The Temperance beer I'm having now is not, and the complex flavor could benefit from this.

I'll have to start paying more attention...I suspect beers I don't like are using hops that don't sit so well on my palate and lack yeast and other flavors to moderate it.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Kraken wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:57 pm
Scuzz wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:47 pm

My only gripe is that it goes down too smoothly for the high ABV, so I ended up drinking more in an evening than I really wanted to. Quite tasty, though. One might say too tasty.
I had three pints of this the other night...

I think it is 8%. And yea, it went down way too easy. :)
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Z-Corn wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:58 pm My wife and I had the day off yesterday and it was her birthday, so why not hit up our favorite little pub in the country for lunch?

Got to finally try a beer that make a big splash here last spring, M-43 from Old Nation Brewing Company. Impossible to find all summer...

I'd been resistant to try the NE IPA style because, TBH, it sounds like lazy brewing to me. "Intentionally Cloudy" my ass...lazy brewing!

This was really quite nice. Massive citrus hop flavor with very little hop bitterness. I only had two beers and both of them were this.

https://oldnationbrewing.com/beer/m-43/
A local brewery near me makes NE style IPA's every now and then and some of them are quite nice.
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:46 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:58 pm I'd been resistant to try the NE IPA style because, TBH, it sounds like lazy brewing to me. "Intentionally Cloudy" my ass...lazy brewing!
There are a some beer styles that conventionally are unfiltered, German hefeweizen and Belgian trappist styles come to mind. IPAs are less consistent, some are filtered, some are not. The Temperance beer I'm having now is not, and the complex flavor could benefit from this.

I'll have to start paying more attention...I suspect beers I don't like are using hops that don't sit so well on my palate and lack yeast and other flavors to moderate it.
This haze is not exclusively the result of unfiltered yeast, it is also due to wheat and oats being part of the grain bill.

I still think it was a mistake that has now become a style. The BJCP nazi in me has a hard time with all these "new" styles that have been developed in the past decade, a decade in which I haven't paid much attention to beer at all.

I am going to start paying attention to beer again.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:51 am I am going to start paying attention to beer again.
If you drink it straight from the can, you'll never see the haze. :ninja:
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:54 am
Z-Corn wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:51 am I am going to start paying attention to beer again.
Heady Topper, one of the first NE IPAs and still considered one of the best, specifically instructs drinkers to drink from the can.

Sometimes I still like an old-style West Coast pine bomb, but for the most part I prefer the more complex East Coast styles now. As long as they don't overdo the fruitiness by adding fruit. Lord Hobo's Consolation Prize is an excellent example of the style, and one that has fairly wide distribution. $16 per 4-pack is too spendy for me except as a very rare treat, though.

I don't care about haze one way or the other.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

As someone who used to home brew the idea of hazy beer never bothered me.
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:07 pm
As someone who used to home brew the idea of hazy beer never bothered me.
Lazy brewer! :tjg:
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I did it on a very basic hobby level, using ingredients bought in a prepared "kit" from a brewing store in the bay area. Heck, I never took any measurements or readings to see what or where it was in the process. But, the beer always came out good.

Kids ended my brewing. I no longer had a place to do it. That was over 25 years ago.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rupture Fresh Grind Ale by Odell's Brewery, Ft. Collins, CO. It appears from the description that they mascerated the hops to squeeze all of the flavor from them. Unfortunately, these hops taste like ass. Reminded me of Fat Tire. Only 6.0% ABV, nothing to see here.
Black Lives Matter