The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Quitch

Re: The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt

Post by Quitch »

I abandoned the minimap after 30 hours and never looked back. That's when the game really began to shine, because instead of looking at a tiny corner of the screen I learned my way around the world. Highly recommended. There was at least one quest in Blood & Wine that required the use of the minimap, so I did need to enable it for that, but otherwise Witcher senses will see you through. It makes caves more exciting to explore, and the tracking of evidence feel a lot more natural and satisfying because you're no longer just moving point to point.

You should also turn off the ? icons on the main map if you haven't already, those should be considered world flavour rather than something you deliberately seek out.

I also avoided the use of fast travel. There are a surprising number of quests waiting for you to find them on the road.
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

Yep. Turned off the map and the ?s and it’s a better game for it. Currently, I’m in the middle of the Bloody Baron plot.
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat May 21, 2016 2:29 pm I also finally think I understand why I like the Witcher games so much - it has to do with the story and how it is framed. Geralt always has his own thing going on but the game world is doing its own thing. For example, right now the after effects of war can be felt throughout the country side and for the most part, no one really cares about Geralt and what he's up to. Unlike so many other RPGs where you become the reason for the story, Geralt feels like he's moving around in a world that exists completely without him. Sometimes stories overlap and there are common interests, but Geralt isn't out to "save the world" or "fix some giant problem" that threatens the world. He's doing his own thing and just happens to interact with a world that has its own story as well. I'm not sure if I'm explaining that correctly, but I think it has a huge impact on the tone of the game and how I feel about visiting the world.
Very well said. This is exactly how I feel, and I’m very early on in the game (Bloody Baron, basically).
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Inverarity wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:36 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Sat May 21, 2016 2:29 pm I also finally think I understand why I like the Witcher games so much - it has to do with the story and how it is framed. Geralt always has his own thing going on but the game world is doing its own thing. For example, right now the after effects of war can be felt throughout the country side and for the most part, no one really cares about Geralt and what he's up to. Unlike so many other RPGs where you become the reason for the story, Geralt feels like he's moving around in a world that exists completely without him. Sometimes stories overlap and there are common interests, but Geralt isn't out to "save the world" or "fix some giant problem" that threatens the world. He's doing his own thing and just happens to interact with a world that has its own story as well. I'm not sure if I'm explaining that correctly, but I think it has a huge impact on the tone of the game and how I feel about visiting the world.
Very well said. This is exactly how I feel, and I’m very early on in the game (Bloody Baron, basically).
Yup. And not that it's a big deal, but in RPGs there's always this tension between the main "OMG EVERYONE IS GOING TO DIE!!!" main quests and the existence of side quests. Like, the main character is ensuring that the world isn't going to end, but hey, sure, I can make time to help this guy find a memento from his dead wife that he lost and is pretty broken up about. Because Geralt isn't generally out to save the world, that's less of an issue.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

THose are some nice textures. Too bad I've already finished my playthrough of the entire game. Of course, it's been two weeks and I still miss playing it. Maybe I'll play it again next year.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I think it's going to take me a few years to get around to playing through these again. Or a decade.

The annoying part is that it's spoiled me for other RPGs.
Black Lives Matter
Suitably Ironic Moniker

I agree, I can't even look at Skyrim or Fallout as they just won't fill that gap. I'm waiting on Kingdom Come Deliverance tomorrow and I've installed Rage to give that a proper try.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

I have a couple of days to myself this weekend, so of course that means time to focus on the important things in life: House? Finances? Catching up with friends? Nope. Witcher 3.

I'm already resigned to never finishing this game because I just don't have free time like I used to. But I'm trying to make a dent and my god, this game is so incredible. My favorite high fantasy RPG, for sure. I have turned the mini-map back on, but left the question marks off, and the world feels so alive. I'm in Novigrad, focusing on the main quest (I think?) for a bit, having completed all my known side quests in Velen (again, no "?s" on the map so I'm sure I'm missing tons). I'm still getting over the end of the Bloody Baron. Someone earlier in this thread compared the moral ambiguity of the choices to what Bioware tries to do with their very obvious moral choices and it was a spot on: I'm still not sure if the choice I made with the Bloody Baron was wrong, even though I got a sad ending.

Oh, and now I'm far enough into the game where I can rewatch the "what happened in witcher 1 and witcher 2" videos and actually understand what the hell they're talking about (mostly). Which is a testament to how the game brings you into the lore of the world, even with no knowledge of the trilogy before this third game.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think I got the best ending you can with the Baron story but it affected the 3 witches side of it more.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Maybe Im alone but the one thing I fear more than anything by FAR when I do go back to play the addons is my inventory. I know theres a ton of crap in there and I wont remember why I kept any of it. So my first full day will be going through my inv and looking up what it is and what it does and why the hell did I keep this and that. The INV on a return after being away is a greater beast than a drake or griffin.
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

re: Daehawk and the inventory beast

I think it depends on where you were in the story when you last left off, but I agree with that being a potential problem.

I recently picked The Witcher 3 back up after over 1 year off, and had the same worry as you, for a bit. I had previously finished the main game, and the Hearts of Stone expansion. After picking it back up a few weeks ago and starting the Blood and Wine expansion, the inventory question for me was quickly answered by the existence of grandmaster witcher gear. Everything else was worse, so just dismantle it or sell it to get materials or coin to upgrade my witcher gear.

I'm having a blast, again, with the game, and I'm going to be so sad when it's over. I'm actually starting to do every last side quest just to prolong the experience because it is just so well done.
-something witty-
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hey infin I sent you a PM...did you request to be friended in Steam? If thats you Ill friend ya...just dont know sometimes and didn't want to friend a hacker or something lol.

Ya I left last year and went back. I finished the main game and had the best Wolf gear. Its all the crafting stuff Im worried with. I just know theres tons of junk and trophies. I had planned not to return for a year or so. But Blood and Wine is tempting me. Im still staying away for now though. Resolve slipping.
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

Yeah, that was me on Steam :)

Ah, I gotcha about the crafting stuff/junk/trophies. Once I saw that the crafting materials were essentially zero weight, I stopped caring about them. The junk however, some of that was weighing me down. I just sorted that 'tab' of items by weight and sold all that junk in one swoop, I needed the coin anyway for the grandmaster gear. That ate up a ton of of money. The trophies I ended up just throwing them all in my stash.
-something witty-
Holman

Post by Holman »

I should just turn in my Nerd card, because I've never played any of the the Witcher games.

Now I want to try it. My questions:

1) My son already has The Wild Hunt and all the DLC, so I can play that with Steam sharing. Is there any reason not to start here, or must I go back to the original and work forward?

2) Are there any mods to know about? I always loved Elder Scrolls/Fallout best with a few significant overhauls to make things rich and interesting.

3) What should a new player keep in mind in order to keep the game fun as long as possible?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

The first two games are a lot of fun, though the combat was a bit clunky in the first one, and neither one is open world as The Witcher 3 is. The story from each one enriches the story of the third, but there will be characters that will provide any exposition you need, and none of it will prevent you from understanding what is going on. It's a huge game, so don't go into it trying to power your way through, but just try to enjoy the ride!
Last edited by Suitably Ironic Moniker on Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You're definitely going to miss out on the character history, but I don't think it's necessary to enjoy the game. If nothing else, you'll just appreciate that these characters are complex and they have quite a few shared stories between them.

I don't think there are any mods required; I'd be hesitant to recommend any if I knew of one. I've played 90+ hours of the game with a vanilla installation and it's my favorite game of all time.

Hmm..as a new player I'd definitely advise you to keep it on an easier difficulty level. The Witcher universe has it's own set of rules and generally speaking, combat has the potential to be a bit tricky unless you do your homework (i.e. ask questions and research your quarry).

Don't be afraid to talk to people, even if they're just simple farmers or travelers. Embrace that most are ambivalent towards you (at best) and respect that you're an anachronism in their world. It's moved on and you're still around. Don't expect to feel good about your quest decisions. There's very rarely a "right" answer or a good vs bad dichotomy that quest resolution will have. Most of the time it's a shade of gray you're settling for and are subsequently reminded that it could have ended much, much worse.

Take care of Roach!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Theres a nice new HD graphics mod.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Thanks!

Now I just have to persuade the kid into offline mode so I can use his Steam library...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In going back to the earliest pages of this discussion, Jag posted a helpful "the story so far..." graphic.

Regarding the HD texture pack, I haven't looked into the requirements for it, but I'd imagine they're above average.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Thanks again!

As for the HD textures, my machine is state-of-the-art circa 2015, but I'm not a graphics addict anyway. In my head I still compare everything to Oblivion.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Is there a reliable way to make money in this game?

I put it down for 2 years but just started back up and remembered that I'm level 12 and just broke. Trying to hire a boat to Skellige but need 1k and only have about 300.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Beyond the first couple of levels I never had a problem with it. I obsessively cleared out every possible point of interest and scooped up everything I found, as well as going through people's houses and taking anything not nailed down. Did quests and bounties and demanded that I get paid, even if the peasant gave me a sob story about how "they won't be able to buy food" or whatever. I imagine if you just stick to the main storyline then yeah, you'll be hard up for money.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I really don't remember money being that much of an issue for me until I started upgrading weapons and armor at much higher levels. I think I made enough money doing quests and selling gathered herbs - honeycomb in particular. Hit those things with fire and collect your reward!
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Ok thanks, will do. Any idea if leaving for Skellige at level 12 is about right or ahead / behind the curve or does it matter?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm probably not the best person to answer as I spent over 40 hours in the starting area of the game. :D When I was traveling, I used the quest log as my guide, trying to stay within 3 levels (above or below) of whatever it was that I was pursuing. I don't remember explicitly avoiding travel to Skellige or exactly what level I was, but I absolutely ran down as much adventure as I could before leaving.
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

I'm level 19 now and just about to head to Skellige for the first time, since I'm at a point in the main quest where I must do so to progress further..... right after I investigate a few more areas on this map. :) Which is my approach. Like Smoove, I've spent 40+ hours riding around Velen completing quests, exploring, etc., etc. So I'm a bit over-leveled for my first trip to Skellige, but I'm not enjoying the game any less. I try to focus on the main story of finding Ciri, but as I end up in various areas, I complete secondary quests and witcher contracts that are nearby (or just sound interesting). There are some logical breaks in the action of the main story and I take advantage. Then I go back to the main quest, rinse, repeat. I finally took the time to find some witcher gear (Cat) a few levels back. That was worth the effort.

Turning off the "?"s in the map was the best thing I did. The world feels alive now.

For what it's worth, I didn't play either of the two earlier games and I'm still following the story, history, and lore. It was a bit tough at first, but there are some good "the story thus far" videos on Youtube if you need to catch up. Jag's graphic is a solid beginning.

Question for those who have finished the game and the expansions: When should the two expansions be undertaken? After the main story is over, or before? I know I'm too low in level to complete them now, but the game has notified me that blood and wine is available to start, and hearts of stone has been since the beginning. So I'm wondering what type of expansions are these? In-game or post-game? Or does it matter?
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Yeah, I went back and looked and the 'on to Skellige' or whatever the name is quest is level 16 so I have some time to spend.

Still getting my feet back under me after almost 2 years off. I didn't stop playing W3 because I disliked it at all--rather I stopped for the same reason I stop most games, some other shiny comes along and before I know it I feel like I've been away too long so why go back when I'll have to learn everything I've forgotten?

Meh.

Had a good time last night though and I hope to play some more.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Redfive wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:48 am Yeah, I went back and looked and the 'on to Skellige' or whatever the name is quest is level 16 so I have some time to spend.

Still getting my feet back under me after almost 2 years off. I didn't stop playing W3 because I disliked it at all--rather I stopped for the same reason I stop most games, some other shiny comes along and before I know it I feel like I've been away too long so why go back when I'll have to learn everything I've forgotten?

Meh.

Had a good time last night though and I hope to play some more.
Ha! All this talk about it got me to re-install it and all the DLC I own on my replacement PS4 and I am in much the same place for the exact same reasons. Damn you shiny things! Now I just need to finish something else first. :twisted:
-mf
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Inverarity wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:24 am I'm level 19 now and just about to head to Skellige for the first time, since I'm at a point in the main quest where I must do so to progress further..... right after I investigate a few more areas on this map. :) Which is my approach. Like Smoove, I've spent 40+ hours riding around Velen completing quests, exploring, etc., etc. So I'm a bit over-leveled for my first trip to Skellige, but I'm not enjoying the game any less. I try to focus on the main story of finding Ciri, but as I end up in various areas, I complete secondary quests and witcher contracts that are nearby (or just sound interesting). There are some logical breaks in the action of the main story and I take advantage. Then I go back to the main quest, rinse, repeat. I finally took the time to find some witcher gear (Cat) a few levels back. That was worth the effort.

Turning off the "?"s in the map was the best thing I did. The world feels alive now.

For what it's worth, I didn't play either of the two earlier games and I'm still following the story, history, and lore. It was a bit tough at first, but there are some good "the story thus far" videos on Youtube if you need to catch up. Jag's graphic is a solid beginning.

Question for those who have finished the game and the expansions: When should the two expansions be undertaken? After the main story is over, or before? I know I'm too low in level to complete them now, but the game has notified me that blood and wine is available to start, and hearts of stone has been since the beginning. So I'm wondering what type of expansions are these? In-game or post-game? Or does it matter?
IIRC the way they are written (and by the level requirements), what they have in mind is that you'll do Heart of Stone during the main story line, and Blood and Wine after you finish the main storyline.
Black Lives Matter.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Anyone play this on a console? I don't do much PC gaming these days, and I'm looking for something to try out with my new TV and Xbox One X.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hentzau wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:24 pm Anyone play this on a console? I don't do much PC gaming these days, and I'm looking for something to try out with my new TV and Xbox One X.
I did - on an XBOne. Works great - don't see much advantage to playing it on a PC.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:26 pm
hentzau wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:24 pm Anyone play this on a console? I don't do much PC gaming these days, and I'm looking for something to try out with my new TV and Xbox One X.
I did - on an XBOne. Works great - don't see much advantage to playing it on a PC.
The main advantage is the ability to install mods. The main one I used was the auto-oil mod, because normally those sword oils last about five seconds and then you have to reapply them, which is very annoying.

Or, if you're Daehawk, then you can install every mod in existence.
Black Lives Matter
Ibby

Post by Ibby »

I recommend that after you finish the main game, run through Heart of Stone and then Blood and Wine. It's the order they were released, but Blood and Wine has a natural story ending that just works perfectly to cap off the Witcher experience.
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

I played this so far (have to pick it up again ...) on PS4 and it works really well on the console, IMO. Using a controller is actually pretty good (including for the distance weapons like the crossbow) and I'm not a fan of playing shooters with a controller normally (although I got a bit better at it). The PS4 has an "alternative" control scheme/method which I found better (more direct, it felt a bit wobbly before). The UI also is well done on the console and I never had the feeling that I played a "dumbed down" version. Graphics on the latest, improved versions of the consoles are great (although I understand still not at the very top end of PC graphics if you have all the high-end hardware
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

NickAragua wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:56 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:26 pm
The main advantage is the ability to install mods. The main one I used was the auto-oil mod, because normally those sword oils last about five seconds and then you have to reapply them, which is very annoying.

Or, if you're Daehawk, then you can install every mod in existence.
That was my original thinking, too and it would still be a deciding factor for me with certain games (such as Skyrim, where I believe Mods are pretty essential) but I didn't see any mods for Witcher 3 that sounded really important to have.
I also remembered how much modding (and especially the process of searching, applying, and then fixing the problems introduced by the mods) can actually distract from the actual gaming. I went through the whole process once with Skyrim (granted I carefully only selected around 10-15 mods) of selecting them, installing and using a mod installer and then going through the whole process of streamlining and cleaning up the install afterward following a detailed description. It worked well afterward, looked much better and I really enjoyed it but it was also a PITA
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I just went and picked up a copy of the W3 Complete today. I'll install that (and my other games made for 4K) on Sunday so I get all of the patches, etc downloaded before I get my TV on Monday. Very excited!
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

I’m playing on PS4 and loving it. Loading times suck, though. Not sure if that issue is console-specific.
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

This game. My god this game. It’s so huge. Just made it to Skellige at level 20. I think I could have stayed in Velen for another 10 hours, but I’m 45 into it already, and I think this is still act one.

Thanks for the tips on the expansions.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’m playing through it a second time on PS4. Other han the crappy loading times, it’s fantastic. There are very few western RPGs that can compare.

I’m just hoping I can avoid the super-uber-hyper-awful sucky ending I got last time. Looking forward to the expansions as well, as I haven’t touched any of those yet.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.