Frank Darabont to write/direct Walking Dead series for AMC

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Xmann

Re: Frank Darabont to write/direct Walking Dead series for AMC

Post by Xmann »

gameoverman wrote:The one thing I have to let slide, or I'd never be able to watch this show again, is that they don't kill Negan on sight. I mean, if it was me, nothing would take priority over killing that guy immediately at any opportunity.

That time they were in front of his HQ and he stepped out to talk? Are you kidding me? I would have shot him, and then ask his lieutenants if they'd care to surrender.

So when Rick bopped him with that bat, yeah that was just another scene where they let him live for no real reason. Rick is someone who has gnawed on his opponents, that's how hardcore and unstoppable he is when he fights...except with Negan.
this has pretty much ruined the show for the wife and I. it has killed it for us.

we have watched every episode since Day 1 and what you have described is beyond forgivable to us. neither of us can get past this at this point.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Newcastle wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:51 pm Ok so...havent watched since Glenn's death and dont intend to restart...and i've skimmed this thread here and there. So i vaguely know what's going on...Now...i got a question, will put it in spoilers....
Spoiler:
RE: Carl's death...

Saw the big hubbub on a news site....

Is he really dead? Or did he simply get bitten? I mean did he do the whole death scene? Reason am asking I am wondering if they can walk it back ...by saying that "Carl is immune to zombie bites". I know huge leap and such. But....
At the end of the midseason finale...
Spoiler:
Carl is shown pale and drenched in sweat as he reveals to Rick and Michonne that he'd been previously bitten by a walker prior to the Saviors’ attack on Alexandria. The bite wound was on his torso, obviously ruling out amputation. So to answer your question, his death scene hasn't yet been shown, just that he's suffering from a bite. But, barring the sort of embarrassing deus ex machina they pulled with Glenn's fake-out 'death' in Season 6, he's most likely a goner.

Still, I wouldn't put it past the writers to pull some shenanigans to walk it back, though. e.g. in one of the earlier episodes of Season 8, Rick looks up to see an unknown helicopter cruising across the sky. I don't believe any further mention was ever made of it, so I hope the latter half of the season doesn't turn into a quest for the cure from whoever has the resources to be flying a chopper around this far into the apocalypse. But if that was a Chekhov's gun chopper, I suspect it's likely to play a role of some sort.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

thanks everyone for responding. Was curious about the precise moment in the show.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:03 am
Newcastle wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:51 pm Ok so...havent watched since Glenn's death and dont intend to restart...and i've skimmed this thread here and there. So i vaguely know what's going on...Now...i got a question, will put it in spoilers....
Spoiler:
RE: Carl's death...

Saw the big hubbub on a news site....

Is he really dead? Or did he simply get bitten? I mean did he do the whole death scene? Reason am asking I am wondering if they can walk it back ...by saying that "Carl is immune to zombie bites". I know huge leap and such. But....
At the end of the midseason finale...
Spoiler:
Carl is shown pale and drenched in sweat as he reveals to Rick and Michonne that he'd been previously bitten by a walker prior to the Saviors’ attack on Alexandria. The bite wound was on his torso, obviously ruling out amputation. So to answer your question, his death scene hasn't yet been shown, just that he's suffering from a bite. But, barring the sort of embarrassing deus ex machina they pulled with Glenn's fake-out 'death' in Season 6, he's most likely a goner.
Spoiler:
It could be a love bite. Enid has had a lot of screen time recently for no apparent reason.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Kraken wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:23 am
Spoiler:
It could be a love bite. Enid has had a lot of screen time recently for no apparent reason.
She's on the show for no apparent reason.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

tgb wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:06 am
Kraken wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:23 am
Spoiler:
She's on the show for no apparent reason.
They're contractually obligated to have a teenager who does stupid stuff and miraculously survives.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Renewed for a 9th season, but they're getting rid of Scott Gimple:
Unsurprisingly, blockbuster TWD has been renewed for a ninth season by AMC today but the series based on Robert Kirkman’s comics will have a new showrunner. Long time TWD writer Angela Kang is taking over from Scott M. Gimple with the latter shifted over to a newly designated Chief Content Officer of the mothershow, its Fear The Walking Dead spinoff and as yet unspecified “potential brand extensions on a variety of platforms.”
I also completely missed it back in October of 2017 that there's a giant lawsuit going on involving quite a few people associated with the show.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Not really getting RID of Scott Gimple, maybe just Peter Principling him...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This thread title kills me every time.

As a reminder (for those that care), tonight the season resumes. I can't help but think we're all being set up again for a "dumpster" moment with another major character. I also saw some news today that it seems unlikely two of the actors on this show will be hanging around, simply based on commitments to other projects and/or success with other projects.
Spoiler:
Lauren Cohan is apparently part of a new series on NBS and Danai Gurira has apparently gained some significant attention as part of her role in Black Panther[/url].
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I wonder what Frank Darabont is up to these days.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My DVR's marching orders haven't changed so I'll get around to watching it eventually.

What are they up to, S9 now? I'm a little surprised that any of the core cast members want to keep doing this much longer. The paydays must be very good.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Well, I liked that episode.
Spoiler:
I really Hate seeing Carl gone but I am very happy they didn't save him with some cheap trick like the teeth didn't go through the shirt or something
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Now I'm wondering if my DVR did its thing. There was a technology kerfuffle, and after I sorted it out and checked the recording it said it was one minute into a special extended season premier. This was before 9 pm, when I thought it was supposed to start. My DVR recorded...something...but if the episode started early I probably missed part of it.

Oh well. TWD stopped being must-see-tv for me a while ago.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Lassr wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:34 am Well, I liked that episode.
Yeah, I actually thought it was well done, in particular the framing of the story with Carl's words and what we were seeing with Henry. Also, Henry must be a ninja to be able to get into position and surprise both Carol and Morgan.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Christ, Brian’s Song was a comedy compared to that extended tear fest.

Still, I thought it was well done and quite touching. Also, any appearance of Jerry is welcome in my book.

Best scene was the Negan end though. A perfect summation of Carl’s dreams.
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It was a gut-ripper. I LOL'd at that scene.

I'm glad they gave him a fitting send-off and didn't pull a "psyche!" twist. Coral's vision opens up a new character arc for Rick, which could prove to be refreshing.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Finally we don't have to put up with him. Go eat more pudding.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Spoiler:
I still don't see how they keep this show on track without Carl. I wasn't crazy about the character but he is so pivotal to so many stories to come. The Walking Dead *IS* Carl's story, along with Rick's.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I honestly don't understand why there's so much hate for Carl from some folks. The actor did a fine job with him. Sure, he faltered a little at the beginning, but the actor was pretty dang young. Since then he's grown into a pretty decent thespian.
Covfefe!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

hepcat wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:40 am I honestly don't understand why there's so much hate for Carl from some folks. The actor did a fine job with him. Sure, he faltered a little at the beginning, but the actor was pretty dang young. Since then he's grown into a pretty decent thespian.
I agree. He was really developing quite well in the last few years. Wonder what his future holds.

My daughter talks to him every year at Shaky Beats in Atlanta. I wonder if he'll be there this year?
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

hepcat wrote:I honestly don't understand why there's so much hate for Carl from some folks. The actor did a fine job with him. Sure, he faltered a little at the beginning, but the actor was pretty dang young. Since then he's grown into a pretty decent thespian.
Who said anything about the actor? The character, to me and folks who feel like I do, was horrible. Decision making etc.

Different strokes.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

tjg_marantz wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:56 am
hepcat wrote:I honestly don't understand why there's so much hate for Carl from some folks. The actor did a fine job with him. Sure, he faltered a little at the beginning, but the actor was pretty dang young. Since then he's grown into a pretty decent thespian.
Who said anything about the actor? The character, to me and folks who feel like I do, was horrible. Decision making etc.

Different strokes.
Yeah the actor was doing a good job with what he was given to work with. I agree.
It's 34 bowl victories.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Is there anyone on The Walking Dead who ever makes consistently good decisions though?

I mean, other than Judith?
Covfefe!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

hepcat wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:13 am Is there anyone on The Walking Dead who ever makes consistently good decisions though?

I mean, other than Judith?
A show where everyone makes sane rational decisions would probably be a bit boring. Kind of like filming my life in a zombie apocalypse. 1 hour of us hunkered down being as quiet as possible until it's clear. Next weeks episode, they scan through the radio channels and decide to venture to the neighbors house.

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The Hepcat Dead would consist of a one hour pilot featuring me hunched down behind my living room window. Then 8 seasons of me putting on elaborate sock puppet reenactments of The Golden Girls.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

There have been (and still are) characters that annoy me on The Walking Dead. Carl was never one of them. The more I think about it, that episode has the potential to pull this series out of a nosedive. It all depends on where they go from here.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:48 am There have been (and still are) characters that annoy me on The Walking Dead. Carl was never one of them. The more I think about it, that episode has the potential to pull this series out of a nosedive. It all depends on where they go from here.
Well, for what's it's worth they are supposed to go into a period of peace where they encounter new very different threats.
It's 34 bowl victories.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think the show needs it. They've been milking the same single note for a bit too long.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

msduncan wrote:
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:48 am There have been (and still are) characters that annoy me on The Walking Dead. Carl was never one of them. The more I think about it, that episode has the potential to pull this series out of a nosedive. It all depends on where they go from here.
Well, for what's it's worth they are supposed to go into a period of peace where they encounter new very different threats.
Whoa whoa! Spoilers man!

/s
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

tjg_marantz wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:13 pm
msduncan wrote:
Whoa whoa! Spoilers man!

/s
Well I 'mean it's not too much of a spoiler. You know the "All out war" has to end at some point. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later. Then they have to encounter new threats. So it's a very generic spoiler.
It's 34 bowl victories.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

/s = sarcasm tag
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

msduncan wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:16 am
Spoiler:
I still don't see how they keep this show on track without Carl. I wasn't crazy about the character but he is so pivotal to so many stories to come. The Walking Dead *IS* Carl's story, along with Rick's.
I'm wondering about this as well..
Spoiler:
Carl has some real important things to do in the future according to the comics. Maybe Judith will take that role..
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

That was a great episode. Carl was a great character in the end. Riggs did a nice job portraying him. I assumed the dream sequences were Ricks and was annoyed by it. Then, when they were Carls, I did my best Keano Reaves impression. Whoa. One of my favorite episodes ever.

We all know that them killing Carl is a very different arc than the comics. I think it's fine to discuss that as long as there are no specifics. I haven't read past compendium 3 (maybe it's 2 - whatever it is I don't know how they take care of Neegan). That said, I know Carl is the focus. Maybe, Rick will adopt Daryl.

Carorgan is awesome. Why didn't they just send them into the Sanctuary to kill them all.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:34 pm Carorgan is awesome. Why didn't they just send them into the Sanctuary to kill them all.
Yeah, my thought was take Carol, Morgan add Jesus and Daryl and it's over before it starts.

Interestingly I didn't find the episode remotely emotional impactful. Now, before Isgrimnur chimes in about my sociopathy, I generally react to media (movies, books, etc), it's real life that holds no interest for me. I think I've just lost interest.

I'm glad they explained Eugene's escape plan which I assumed to be shoot all the zombies. I still think it is stupid, but at least it wasn't that stupid.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:37 am
Interestingly I didn't find the episode remotely emotional impactful.
Neither did I, but that's par for me. We (mostly) knew that he was going to die at the end of the last season. This episode merely confirmed that and then drew it out. I even remarked at one point that it seemed to be taking an awfully long time...we've seen bites work a lot faster in the past.

As I said earlier, I thought that it was an appropriate send-off for such a core character and the flash-forward fantasies were clever, but blatant attempts to pluck my heartstrings rarely work on me.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

I have held on as long as I could. Done with the show.
I don’t know what happened to the writing staff. The acting has suffered as well.
Believe the condo will be cleaner now seeing how I have gained an hour!
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:37 am
EvilHomer3k wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:34 pm Carorgan is awesome. Why didn't they just send them into the Sanctuary to kill them all.
Yeah, my thought was take Carol, Morgan add Jesus and Daryl and it's over before it starts.

Interestingly I didn't find the episode remotely emotional impactful. Now, before Isgrimnur chimes in about my sociopathy, I generally react to media (movies, books, etc), it's real life that holds no interest for me. I think I've just lost interest.

I'm glad they explained Eugene's escape plan which I assumed to be shoot all the zombies. I still think it is stupid, but at least it wasn't that stupid.
It's not impactful like A Dog's Purpose or a pixar movie but I did tear up a little (which isn't uncommon for me). My wife, not at all (also par for her).
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Carl speaking to his sister got a small emotional reaction, but none of the rest of it did. I'm watching these days to see how it ends more than having anything invested in the characters.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Kelric wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:22 am Carl speaking to his sister got a small emotional reaction, but none of the rest of it did. I'm watching these days to see how it ends more than having anything invested in the characters.
Spoiler it doesn't.. I suspect they will keep it going as long as possible.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us