[Sundance TV] Hap and Leonard

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

[Sundance TV] Hap and Leonard

Post by hepcat »

Not sure if there are any other Joe R. Lansdale fans around these here parts, but his amazingly entertaining mystery/action/comedy series Hap and Leonard is coming to Sundance TV...next week.

The books (set in the 80's in Texas) relate the misadventures of an odd pair of friends. Hap is a peacenik Vietnam protester who was sent to prison for dodging the draft. Leonard is a gay, black Vietnam veteran who loves guns and fighting. The two friends get involved in various idiotic schemes usually started by those around them. I haven't read the last couple of books in the series, so I need to catch up. But this adaptation looks great. That they cast Michael K. Williams as Leonard is utter perfection in terms of casting.

I cannot wait for this one!

edit: George R.R. Martin interviews Joe R. Lansdale. Rrrrrrrrr
Covfefe!
Z-Corn

Re: [Sundance TV] Hap and Leonard

Post by Z-Corn »

This sounds like a good show so I went to my Tivo to make Season Pass only to discover there already was one. I do not recall ever hearing anything before about this show and I sure don't remember making the Season Pass.

Hepcat, thanks for the heads-up on the show and helping me discover my Tivo has acquired sentience.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Doesn't Tivo have a suggestions function that auto adds stuff to your season pass/schedule based on your viewing habits?

I really hope they stay true to the source material for Hap and Leonard. If they do, they'll create a hilarious piece of redneck gothic noir.
Covfefe!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Just finished it on Netflix. Enjoyed it. Michael Kenneth Williams made the show.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Season 1 was okay, but season 2 really captured the feel of the books, I thought. They even covered Leonard's ongoing feud with his neighbors.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

How are the books? I really enjoy the tv series and was thinking of starting the series. I love the friendship Hap and Leonard have and they are pretty badassed.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The books are (as is usually the case with TV adaptations) much better. And since I thought the show was pretty dang good, that's saying something. Grab Savage Season off Amazon (with the OO link, of course) and get started.

Leonard is the last character you'd think a rural Texas writer would create, but Lansdale isn't your typical writer. Leonard is the badass supreme of that world...and he just happens to be gay. Lansdale doesn't fall back on insulting stereotypes for cheap laughs with the character. He doesn't even really make Leonard's lifestyle a major theme with the character. He is what he is. And woe to the redneck who decides to ridicule him for it.

And I'll add that you really can't go wrong with anything written by Joe R. Lansdale.

And if you want more film and TV adaptations, there are quite a few out there. Start with the excellent, critically acclaimed Bubba Ho-Tep, starring Geek God Bruce Campbell as an aging Elvis Presley in a nursing home.

edit: Cold in July, one of Lansdale's mystery thrillers starring Dexter actor Michael C. Hall is on Netflix streaming. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Lansdale can effortlessly switch from horror, to comedy, to mystery and suspense, from book to book.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:The books are (as is usually the case with TV adaptations) much better. And since I thought the show was pretty dang good, that's saying something. Grab Savage Season off Amazon (with the OO link, of course) and get started.

Leonard is the last character you'd think a rural Texas writer would create, but Lansdale isn't your typical writer. Leonard is the badass supreme of that world...and he just happens to be gay. Lansdale doesn't fall back on insulting stereotypes for cheap laughs with the character. He doesn't even really make Leonard's lifestyle a major theme with the character. He is what he is. And woe to the redneck who decides to ridicule him for it.

And I'll add that you really can't go wrong with anything written by Joe R. Lansdale.

And if you want more film and TV adaptations, there are quite a few out there. Start with the excellent, critically acclaimed Bubba Ho-Tep, starring Geek God Bruce Campbell as an aging Elvis Presley in a nursing home.

edit: Cold in July, one of Lansdale's mystery thrillers starring Dexter actor Michael C. Hall is on Netflix streaming. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Lansdale can effortlessly switch from horror, to comedy, to mystery and suspense, from book to book.
I didn't know he was involved with Bubba Ho-Tep. Thanks Hepcat! I think I'll be making the site some $$$ soon when I go onto Amazon and pick up some of the books.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Season 2 is now on Netflix. :pop:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

And a new season with my favorite bromance, Hap and Leonard starts tonight!
Black lives matter!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Whoo hoo!
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Okay, now that was a fun opener. I laughed out loud more than once. They’ve really captured Landsdale’s voice over the last two seasons. I can’t recommend this show enough.
Covfefe!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

And I'm afraid I couldn't finish watching it. I was hoping for it to be good but their humor is not mine.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It’s pretty much the same as the books.

Sorry you didn’t enjoy it. It’s definitely one of the better shows on TV though.
Covfefe!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Season 3 is now on Netflix. :pop:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sadly, season 3 is the last we'll see of the show. But it's probably their best season, so it went out with a bang.
Covfefe!