Vaccine-autism how long will this crap be taken seriously

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Re: Vaccine-autism how long will this crap be taken seriousl

Post by $iljanus »

I had a mild case but I think that's because I identified it early and got an antiviral medication prescribed right away. I think the usual outcome, like my sister, is much pain.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

Daehawk wrote:Sorry I misunderstood. When you said
It remains in your nerves forever and later in life you get the lovely shingles.
I took it to mean you thought that everyone got them later. In fact Ive only known 3 people to have them and Im 47.....My grandpa, my fatherNlaw, and my wife. Theres a product called Domeboro that helps a LOT with it. I hope I dont get it though. Doesn't sound fun from what I remember.
In all due respect, I think you pretty much just stated that a fairly high proportion of everyone close to you has dealt with shingles.

Considering just your spouse and the generation before you, that's 2 out of 6 people. 33% seems kind of high, and I'm assuming that everyone in that group has had the chicken pox (you, spouse, your 2 parents, and your wife's 2 parents). If any of that group has *not* had chicken pox, then the occurrence of shingles just got higher in that group...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

And they did it by targeting immigrant groups. Just horrible human beings.
"At that point, the anti-vaccine groups just really started targeting the community," she said.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

They target groups with little education on this stuff and that can have superstitions about medicines in general.

Pathetic group of people those antivax folk. Id almost bet a large percentage of them dont even have kids of their own.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Anti-vax movement prompts Brooklynites to withhold inoculations from their pets, vets say
“I had a client concerned about an autistic child who didn’t want to vaccinate the dog for the same reason,” said Dr. Stephanie Liff of Clinton Hill’s Pure Paws Veterinary Care. “We’ve never diagnosed autism in a dog. I don’t think you could.”
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

This stuff is getting out of hand :roll:
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The Onion never ceases to amaze.

(I'm not going to look at the link, because I just want to continue believing it's satire and not real.)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Moliere

Re: Vaccine-autism how long will this crap be taken seriously

Post by Moliere »

Thanks Oprah!
Officials are warning travelers who were at O'Hare International Airport in Chicago last week that they may have been exposed to measles.

A passenger with a confirmed case of Measles arrived on an international flight on Wednesday.The Illinois Department of Public Health said those who were at the airport between 6:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. Central Time may have been exposed.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Weeding out weeding out. The only ones who suffer are the children who have little say in their lives.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

ArsTechnica posted an article stating that kids with autism and their siblings are less likely to get vaccinated than the general population exposing them to a greater chance of contracting preventable diseases.

Link
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Normally Id say this is a way to simply let the stupid die off but I dont think you get the shot until later in life...will need to look the age up....so babies could get it and die or maybe even small kids.

EDIT: So ya its first shot 12 - 15 months old. Little ones could die. I remember boosters as a little guy and my grandmother rocking me because both arms were sore and I could barely move them and had a small fever.

Someone who doesn't get vaccines on purpose and someone else suffers should be liable for a crime.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:33 am Normally Id say this is a way to simply let the stupid die off but I dont think you get the shot until later in life...will need to look the age up....so babies could get it and die or maybe even small kids.
That's the problem. The "stupid" get and spread disease and may or may not die off. Infants who are too young to get vaccinated, those with conditions that preclude vaccinations, and those with other illnesses depend on herd immunity. They're the ones who die off.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

the post I hadn't finished:

To answer the question posed in the OP, maybe accountability...
A 2013 measles outbreak rooted in a vaccine-refusing community in Brooklyn, New York cost the city’s health department an estimated $394,448, requiring 87 employees to collectively spend more than 10,000 hours on outbreak response and control, according to an analysis published Monday in JAMA Pediatrics.

Measles outbreak rages after anti-vaccine groups target vulnerable community
During the outbreak, which spanned March through July, health workers quickly mobilized to track down more than 3,300 people exposed to the highly contagious, potentially life-threatening virus. Workers then determined the vaccination status of those exposed and doled out prophylactic treatments or vaccines to those who would take them. To get the word out about the health threat, workers contacted local doctors’ offices, schools, and daycares. They also placed announcements in local newspapers, set up a telephone hotline, and held community briefings on the situation.

Almost a third of the employees involved in the response were working outside of their job descriptions, diverting resources from other critical public health activities. The cost estimate combined a conservative assessment of employee compensation ($332,000) and supply costs, such as lab testing and advertising ($62,000).
I like the idea of accountability for folks who refuse vaccination. Maybe require outbreak insurance at a rate depending upon the number of people requesting exemptions/not vaccinating their kids as a market-based approach.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/c ... .full.pdf

Yet more proof that vaccines even while mother is pregnant do not cause autism and rates ate lower than unvaccinated
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I like the idea of requiring liability insurance. Something must be done.

At least 107 measles cases confirmed across 21 states
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Not sure if it was posted, and I'm not staring at an article right now, but the "scientists should be jailed for not predicting earthquakes fast enough" forward thinking Italian government is no longer requiring proof of vaccinations in state run (presumably this means the same thing as public schools in Canada/US) schools.

The EU is not happy about it, either.

So...there's that.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
Chickenpox has taken hold of a school in North Carolina where many families claim religious exemption from vaccines.

Cases of chickenpox have been multiplying at the Asheville Waldorf School, which serves children from nursery school to sixth grade in Asheville, N.C. About a dozen infections grew to 28 at the beginning of the month. By Friday, there were 36, the Asheville Citizen-Times reported.

The outbreak ranks as the state’s worst since the chickenpox vaccine became available more than 20 years ago. Since then, the two-dose course has succeeded in limiting the highly contagious disease that once affected 90 percent of Americans — a public health breakthrough.

The school is a symbol of the small but strong movement against the most effective means of preventing the spread of infectious diseases. The percentage of children under 2 years old who haven’t received any vaccinations has quadrupled since 2001, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
“What’s the big deal with chickenpox?” one city resident, Amy Gordon, told the Citizen-Times.

Chickenpox is serious, warns the CDC, “even life-threatening, especially in babies, adolescents, adults, pregnant women and people with weakened immune systems.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:50 pm WaPo
“What’s the big deal with chickenpox?” one city resident, Amy Gordon, told the Citizen-Times.

this pretty much sums it up. enjoy your shingles, lady
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

We're currently seeing a measles outbreak in NJ:
As Lakewood's confirmed measles cases rose to 14 this week, health officials warned the public that most of those not vaccinated will develop the illness.

A person who acquired measles while traveling internationally exposed others to the infection in Ocean County between Oct. 13 and Nov. 9, state officials have said.

"Ninety percent of people with close contact with an infected person will get measles if they are not vaccinated," the health department said.

Dr. Manal Youssef-Bessler of the Infectious Disease Center Of New Jersey in Whippany said Monday infants too young for vaccination and those with compromised immune systems are among those most at risk.
This is why you get an MMR.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If only the anti vacc'rs would be taken out by something faster before reproduction can occur.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Update: Still being taken seriously in Tennessee:
A soon-to-be congressman from Tennessee told constituents Tuesday he believed vaccines may be causing autism, denying data from the Centers for Disease Control and other institutions disproving such a theory.

Not only did Republican Mark Green, a Congressman-elect from Clarksville who is also a medical doctor, express hesitation about the CDC's stance on vaccines, Green said he believed the federal health agency has "fraudulently managed" the data.
Unrelated to autism, but of note when considering his thoughts, observations, and opinions:
Critics of his nomination at the time pointed to Green’s sponsorship of a bill that would allow mental health providers to refuse to treat LGBT patients. He also supported legislation to prevent transgender high school and college students from using public bathroom facilities.

“If you poll the psychiatrists, they're going to tell you transgender is a disease," Green said at a Chattanooga Tea Party event in 2016.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ill use the word again...fucking moron.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

I feel horrible for sensible people in the USA.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

tjg_marantz wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:20 pm I feel horrible for sensible people in the USA.
sometimes I feel our numbers are dwindling...
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

tjg_marantz wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:20 pm I feel horrible for sensible people in the USA.
It doesn't take much searching to find out that anti-vaxxers are a problem in Canada, too. Lack of common sense does not respect our borders.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Ok
ImLawBoy wrote:
It doesn't take much searching to find out that anti-vaxxers are a problem in Canada, too. Lack of common sense does not respect our borders.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:30 am
I agree that there are people in Canada that are irresponsble and refuse to get their kids vaccinated but the people of Tennessee ELECTED someone to thier congress who advocates that (among other asinine views). That's a whole different level of stupid.

If you read any of those articles in your link you will see that all of them condem people who advocate anti-vacinations and one article had a high ranking politician saying it's incredibly irresponsible to not get vacinated.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:30 am
It is however, possible to show empathy across borders.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I didn't vote for them. Been saying for years my state gov are assholes and idiots.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Here's where it gets crazy. Dr. Kathleen Kelsey was a Canadian-American scientist that worked for the FDA in the 60s and she refused to "rubber stamp" thalidomide as the company that manufactured it was being dodgy on the safety of the medication and insisting its use was already widespread in Europe. Well, over a year later (the whole time she refused to approve it), it turns out that thalidomide increases risk of birth defects and she likely saved thousands (tens of thousands?) of children and families from suffering because she refused to approve it without full scientific review. The punchline? The reason we all likely know about thalidomide, the FDA and Dr. Kelsey's role is because of a Senator from Tennessee - Estes Kefauver. He not only championed Dr. Kelsey, but ultimately sponsored legislation that strengthened the Food and Drug Safety Act, making it less likely that drug companies would be able to sell medications or drugs that could potentially cause more harm than good.

A few generations later and apparently people in Tennessee are electing anti-vaxxers. It's amazing.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

“Dr” Green’s anti-vax views are just the prize in a Cracker Jack box of hate for transgender people and Muslims which sank his nomination for Secretary of the Army. I guess I’ll add his district to the list of places not to visit in the US, especially since all sorts of diseases will probably start to run rampant there...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Portland, OR
A quickly escalating measles outbreak around Portland, Ore., has led health officials in nearby Clark County, Wash., to declare a public health emergency as they warn that people infected with the highly contagious virus have visited schools and churches, a dentist’s office, a Costco, an Ikea and an Amazon locker pickup station.

Someone with measles was at Concourse D of the Portland International Airport on Jan. 7, the county’s public health department advised. An infected person attended a Portland Trail Blazers home game Jan. 11.

At the beginning of last week, there were only a handful of confirmed cases. On Friday, the day the emergency was declared, there were 19. By Sunday, that number had grown to 21. The latest update came Tuesday, when county officials said they had confirmed 23 cases and were investigating two more suspected cases. The vast majority of those who have fallen ill had not been immunized.
State data shows that 7.9 percent of children in Clark County were exempt in the 2017-2018 school year from vaccines required for kindergarten entry, which includes the two-dose course for measles that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says is 97 percent effective. Only 1.2 percent of the children had a medical dispensation, meaning that nearly 7 percent were not immunized for personal or religious reasons. Nationally, about 2 percent of children went without required immunizations for nonmedical reasons.

The high rate of nonmedical exemption for vaccines is what makes the Portland area, which sits across the Columbia River from Clark County, a “hotspot” for outbreaks, according to Peter J. Hotez, a professor of pediatrics and dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston.

“This is something I’ve predicted for a while now,” he said of the public health emergency in Clark County. “It’s really awful and really tragic and totally preventable.”

Of the confirmed cases, 18 patients are between the ages of 1 to 10 years old. Twenty of the infected individuals had not been immunized against measles, and the vaccination history of the other three remained unverified. One person was hospitalized.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Woman asks the internet how she can protect her unvaccinated child from the measles.

The internet responds. :lol:

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

America still has a higher vaccination rate than Canada. :evil:
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:14 pm America still has a higher vaccination rate than Canada. :evil:
Cite?

https://www.nationmaster.com/country-in ... onths#2012

2012 measles immunization:
Canada = 98%
United States = 92%
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Moat_Man wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:35 am
GreenGoo wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:14 pm America still has a higher vaccination rate than Canada. :evil:
Cite?

https://www.nationmaster.com/country-in ... onths#2012

2012 measles immunization:
Canada = 98%
United States = 92%
Here you go as just one source.

Another:
Canadian Paediatric Society although this one is not a comparison, just a lamentation.

Globe and Mail article from 2015:
Globe

There are a pile of reputable sources that all reference the UNICEF report from the first link, but I'm not going to list them repeatedly since they all spring from the same source.

The World Health Organization has some data by year for measles.
WHO

Interestingly, it shows that 2012 (the date of your data) as Canada's highest in the last 10+ years or so. It hasn't been above 90% since that year. It also shows that the US has been steady at 92% for the last 5 years or so.