Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

YellowKing

Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom

Post by YellowKing »

Just picked this up for PC. Had a $30 Steam credit and loved the first game, so I pulled the trigger.

The only reason I made this topic was to say that a fantastic PC adaptation this is (not sure I can call it a "port" since it came out simultaneously on console/PC). It runs like a dream, and everything about it just feels polished to the nth degree. I'm currently using an Xbox controller to play, though it is possible to play with keyboard/mouse. This thing really runs like a dream, and so far I haven't come across a single PC glitch which sometimes is the norm for JRPGs on this platform.

While Studio Ghibli wasn't directly involved with this one, they still retained the look and charm of the first one, and so far it's been a blast. Only minor complaint is that the new combat system is rather easy. They utilize a real-time system of hacking and dodging, and that's really all you need for the most part. There is another system overlaid in which you can use powered up weapons to use skills and little elemental guys called higgledies to do other kinds of combos, but early in I haven't found any of that to be necessary.

Still, I'm mostly in it for the story and adventure, so the lack of challenge so far doesn't bother me much.
Skinypupy

Re: Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom

Post by Skinypupy »

Be warned that this game is a very slow starter. As in, the first 2-3 hours are mostly just a pile of hot garbage.

I hit the 3.5 hour mark last night (just got to Heartland), and the game is finally becoming somewhat interesting.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

On the other hand, I found it interesting from nearly the start, so there's that :). I'm playing on PS4 and really enjoying the game.
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i super want a port of the first one to PC
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm approaching 11 hours in and combat challenge has increased a bit. I don't have a good grasp on the whole thing other than mash mash dodge dodge block block, but so far it's working for me. I do know the higgledy activations can be huge. In tough fights it sometimes pays to just circle strafe with ranged weapons, darting in to activate higgledies when possible until you get a good melee opportunity.

The whole kingdom building aspect is fun in a passive Facebook-game way, and the siege army battles are fun as well. However, I still think this one (at least so far) falls short of the original. Still a fantastic game though - I put several hours in today and never felt bored with it.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I absolutely loved the original, and I even didn't mind the combat so much. I felt it was such a breath of fresh air in a sea of dark games. I'll likely get this at some point if I can pick it up cheap.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

My wife played this a while back and liked it, and it's currently on sale on Steam, so I picked it up.

Lot of fun so far. Only just gained control of my kingdom, so still unlocking and getting used to stuff, but I'm enjoying the combat and story thus far.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I need to give this another shot at some point. I wasn't crazy about the slow start, then it got buried under a couple of other big releases and I just wandered away from it.

Wish it was on Switch so I could take it on the road with me.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I picked this up for $10 a few weeks back and have put in maybe 12 hours so far. I also found most of the combat pretty easy, so I switched the difficulty to hard early on. Most battles are usually still easy enough, but I've gotten rocked a few times by bosses. My only complaints so far is that the game is very linear, but since I just got the ship, I expect things to open up a bit, at least for the exploration if not the story.
Black Lives Matter
RMC

Post by RMC »

Picked this up on a sale a few weeks back. I am having fun, just got to the heartland, and while it was a little slow, it is a nice pace for me, where I can play and go do family things. I don't feel like I need a ton of time to sit and play.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

As I hoped, things have definitely opened up since I got the ship. Lots of side quests to do and citizens to add to my kingdom. The only weird thing is that no matter what time I start playing the game, whether it’s 9:00 at night or 2:00 in the afternoon, I start falling asleep in my chair within half an hour of turning the game on. Sufficed to say, my progress in the game is coming along slowly.
Black Lives Matter