Frank Darabont to write/direct Walking Dead series for AMC

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kelric

Re: Frank Darabont to write/direct Walking Dead series for AMC

Post by Kelric »

Punisher wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:52 am
Kelric wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:22 am Carl speaking to his sister got a small emotional reaction, but none of the rest of it did. I'm watching these days to see how it ends more than having anything invested in the characters.
Spoiler it doesn't.. I suspect they will keep it going as long as possible.
I'm okay with that. Long, epic, way too long stories are my thing. Wheel of Time, watching all three extended editions of the LOTR movies in one sitting, etc., etc.,
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I caught up this weekend with last week's episode, which I liked a lot, and last night's episode. I liked last night's almost as much, it's just that they've gone to well too many times. The Rick telling Negan "I'm going to kill you" well that is. When he says it the first time it's chilling. When he says it a second time, it's already lost its edge because now we know he has failed to kill him or he wouldn't need to say it again. Now, many "|'m going to kill you" scenes later I don't get the point. The disappointing part is they had the perfect scene set up already.

This last episode was all about the ripple effect of unrelated events all culminating towards a certain conclusion.
Spoiler:
Simon correctly notes that Negan's methods, as brutally effective as they had been, were no longer workable. He's frustrated since he can't topple Negan. Meanwhile, Carl seems to have an effect on Rick and has Rick rethinking peace with Negan. Negan had some respect for Carl so the audience is primed to feel maybe Negan and Rick can work something out. Then Rick finds out about the dump people getting wiped out by Negan's people. Now Rick knows no peace is possible no matter what Carl wished for. So that last conversation between RIck and Negan should have been along the lines of "I was ready to give up because Carl had me believing in peace but I saw what you did to Jadis's people". This way Rick is not making the same threat, Negan isn't demanding the same surrender. The scene should have been about how Rick and Negan almost had a chance to end this war but the ripple effect ended that chance. At least this way we'd understand why RIck feels forced into a fight to the death, and we get to see Negan's complete shock realizing he almost had RIck but Simon blew it.
Instead what we got was a rehash of what has already been rehashed more times than I can count.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rick: we need to go save the garbage pail kids!
<arrives to find them all dead except the leader>
Rick: screw you, I hope you die!

Ah, the consistently confusing character writing of the walking dead. I was afraid they might have hired a sensible writing staff for the second half of the season.
He won. Period.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I can't agree with that part. Rick only needed them in so far as they were a potential fighting force. Once they don't have that going for them why is he supposed to care?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rick is Negan on alternate weekends, and Rick every other.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This thread title kills me, every time.

I know we're in a collective nose-dive for the show, but last night's episode actually surprised me. To be more specific without spoiling it, Rick. Not that it in no way mitigates the general arc of the series at this point, but I will give them credit for not doing what I thought was going to happen.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Every episode lately, I find myself sitting there thinking, Why am I still watching this?"
It has become a jumble of plot holes, bad acting and inconsistencies.
Nothing, and I mean nothing, can save it for me at this point. Yet I will still continue to watch. What is wrong with me?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

stimpy wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:04 pm Every episode lately, I find myself sitting there thinking, Why am I still watching this?"
Nothing, and I mean nothing, can save it for me at this point. Yet I will still continue to watch. What is wrong with me?
still better than a lot of other shows. I was hoping Neagan's story would be over this season, beginning to think it will not.
I still like it but I'm not emotionally invested anymore.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:35 am This thread title kills me, every time.

I know we're in a collective nose-dive for the show, but last night's episode actually surprised me. To be more specific without spoiling it, Rick. Not that it in no way mitigates the general arc of the series at this point, but I will give them credit for not doing what I thought was going to happen.
Ditto. I complained about it before, but I’ve come to enjoy how the writers are pulling back for a wider view of Negan in order to show us that he’s not just a homicidal Snidely Whiplash, while simultaneously closing Rick off from everyone around him as he divests himself of the very qualities that made him a compassionate leader.
He won. Period.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

stimpy wrote:Every episode lately, I find myself sitting there thinking, Why am I still watching this?"
I was the same way and just dropped it "cold turkey", so to speak.

There are plenty of shows me and the wife like between Netflix, History Channel, A&E, etc. to waste my time on something we dislike.

The whole Neegan storyline was the final nail for us. Couldn't take another episode with him.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I'm still watching it and enjoying a fair amount of it. It's the best Romero-esque zombie show on tv!

I was glad to see that one thing happen to that one guy since I've wanted something bad to happen to him for a long time now. They did not disappoint in depicting his fate.

I do wish they'd give up on the teasers in the show. Wondering who he picked up is not why I'm going to watch the next episode. Those of us watching aren't watching because of lame crap like that, and that kind of thing isn't going to win over new viewers. There's no reason for you to care to know who he picked if you're not already watching the show.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

gameoverman wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:33 am I'm still watching it and enjoying a fair amount of it. It's the best Romero-esque zombie show on tv!

I was glad to see that one thing happen to that one guy since I've wanted something bad to happen to him for a long time now. They did not disappoint in depicting his fate.

I do wish they'd give up on the teasers in the show. Wondering who he picked up is not why I'm going to watch the next episode. Those of us watching aren't watching because of lame crap like that, and that kind of thing isn't going to win over new viewers. There's no reason for you to care to know who he picked if you're not already watching the show.
Spoiler:
My suspicion is that it's the girl that saw Dwight betray the Saviors a ways back
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Punisher wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:00 pm
gameoverman wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:33 am I'm still watching it and enjoying a fair amount of it. It's the best Romero-esque zombie show on tv!

Spoiler:
My suspicion is that it's the girl that saw Dwight betray the Saviors a ways back
Spoiler:
My bet is it's dwight's wife.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:11 pm

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I'm betting it's Frank Darabont.
He won. Period.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

hepcat wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:51 am

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I'm betting it's Frank Darabont.
Spoiler:
It's gotta be Gregory, he was with the Saviors when they escaped, but he wasn't at the dive bar
FTE
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Spoiler:
That's who I guessed it was too. The reason is
Spoiler:
Dwight is an ace Rick has, whether Rick believes it or not, and Negan showing up with Dwight's wife again would be a counter to that ace. It ups the drama and tension quite a bit. Anyone else wouldn't bring that kind of element to it. Also, Negan had kind of a 'things are looking up' attitude when he picked the person up. He knows he has trouble in the ranks, with Simon, so gaining a bit of leverage on Dwight is welcome to him.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:35 am This thread title kills me, every time.

Haven't watched since the church stuff..so season 5?....and cant help you. I gave up the addiction.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

gameoverman wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:05 pm
Spoiler:
That's who I guessed it was too. The reason is
Spoiler:
Dwight is an ace Rick has, whether Rick believes it or not, and Negan showing up with Dwight's wife again would be a counter to that ace. It ups the drama and tension quite a bit. Anyone else wouldn't bring that kind of element to it. Also, Negan had kind of a 'things are looking up' attitude when he picked the person up. He knows he has trouble in the ranks, with Simon, so gaining a bit of leverage on Dwight is welcome to him.
Spoiler:
"If shit could take a shit, it still wouldn't look as shitty as you do right now." :lol:
tgb

Post by tgb »

Yahoo news screwed up and posted part of a recap of tonight's episode. It's down now, but in the event anyone still cares:
Spoiler:
Bye bye, Simon
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The spoiler that's not really a spoiler for anyone that's been watching. :D
tgb

Post by tgb »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:10 pm The spoiler that's not really a spoiler for anyone that's been watching. :D
Sure you could see it coming, but not necessarily tonight. And there was a possibility that it may not happen.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess knowing that the season ends next week, I'm not all that surprised. Assuming they're now following the Breaking Bad and Justified model (I honestly can't remember), something insane will happen tonight and next week is really just the denouement and setup for the next season.
And there was a possibility that it may not happen.
We are clearly watching different shows. As soon as spoiler made that decision, it was a foregone conclusion as to how it would end. :)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I thought this was a good episode. I was so wrapped up in the main story that I completely forgot about the hitchhiker from last week. I'm quite curious to see how it all comes together, but lord help me if there's some type of Glenn dumpster in the season finale...
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:39 am I thought this was a good episode. I was so wrapped up in the main story that I completely forgot about the hitchhiker from last week. I'm quite curious to see how it all comes together, but lord help me if there's some type of Glenn dumpster in the season finale...
I liked it except for the Aaron portion, it was like they were cruising along making the season episodes and realized, "Oh shit, Aaron is still in the woods, we need to do something with him."
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I liked the two episodes (TWD & FTWD). Not great but not bad. FTWD was better.
Spoiler:
Again Aaron & the Oceanside bunch seemed like a last minute add as if they keep forgetting about them.
Spoiler:
I wonder how long before the whisperers are introduced in season 9? Was the large herd they spotted the first sign?

Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Really enjoyed the finale. I personally think they should end the series here. The whole...
Spoiler:
Maggie civil war thing seems like they have run out of ideas.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
tgb

Post by tgb »

naednek wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:44 am Really enjoyed the finale. I personally think they should end the series here. The whole...
Spoiler:
Why? They can milk it for another 3 seasons.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

naednek wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:44 am Really enjoyed the finale. I personally think they should end the series here. The whole...
Spoiler:
Have to agree with the spoiler. She should have been twirling a fake moustache and stroking a white cat. That was just stupid.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Eugene's move was unexpected. I was just glad to see it end differently than the past too-many story arcs ended. Kill the Big Bad, scatter, regroup, rebuild, meet new Big Bad. I agree that the setup seemed forced, but it might be misdirection or a feint. And even if not, political struggle would be a welcome change from constant war. Plus,
Spoiler:
Negan is still alive, and I'm skeptical that he will stay penned forever. If they want to fall back into the same old rut, Negan War II is in the can.
So there are at least a couple of directions they could go.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Lassr wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:50 am ]I wonder how long before the whisperers are introduced in season 9? Was the large herd they spotted the first sign?[/spoiler]
That's what I took it to be. It'll be interesting to see how they play that out. Hopefully much better than some of the crap they've done with the story lately.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Fully agree with the your spoiler. They take that road and I'm probably out. Shattering the core group relationships changes the entire dynamic and moves away from the thing I've always thought of as the main interest - how do you put a society together after that - and just keeps rupturing it. Using Darryl - who already crossed Rick once to by going against his plan and ultimately freeing the Saviors from the trap in sanctuary. Using Jesus who is all about working together and NOT plotting against others. Showing her reconcile with the prisoner she had been doubting. Non of it makes any sense when combined with her wanting to plot against Rick.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The inclusion of Darryl in that scene annoyed me. The inclusion of Jesus made me doubt the writers were paying attention to their own stories.
He won. Period.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Hilltop is for Hilltopians?
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I object to a lot of the writing in this finale. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Rick gets to
Spoiler:
slash Negan's throat- payback yes! Oh wait, Negan is still alive and Rick is going to spare his life ala Jules letting Ringo live in Pulp Fiction. Either have Rick capture Negan and spare his life, or he kills him. Anything else is a cheat, like having a fake kill.
Infuriating is what that is when they've had years to get their characters and plotting down.

Next, Rick must know that deciding to
Spoiler:
spare Negan is a complete betrayal of Maggie and whoever else was feeling especially screwed over by Negan. He didn't even have the decency to let her know ahead of time, no he does it in front of everyone and completely humiliates her.
Then, and I think this part is objectively beyond argument, it makes no sense from a practical perspective.
Spoiler:
Even under the best circumstances, with the proper facilities and a full staff to operate those facilities, keeping prisoners is extremely dangerous. Properly trained and equipped guards get killed or injured on a regular basis. Rick's people have none of that stuff. Plus Negan had followers, many of whom were loyal enough to kill everyone and anyone for him. You leave Negan alive AND release all those followers, that's stupid in the most stupid way possible. Of all the stupid ideas this show has had, this is easily the most stupid...for now.
Okay, with Eugene they blew it because they couldn't leave it as is.
Spoiler:
He was taken prisoner, then worked as a deep cover mole. He had to alienate his friends to gain Negan's absolute trust. This is all right there in the show, perfectly set up. They ruined it by giving him that speech where he explains how he really was on Negan's side until Rosita and Gabriel showed him the light. We could have had a great scene where we see Rosita's shock at just how devious Eugene really is, instead we get a convenient and unconvincing explanation of how he changed his mind at just the right moment.
Finally, that bit with Maggie. I actually kinda get what they were going for and agree with it in principle, but the execution was a failure. It's like some half assed Godfather ripoff with Jesus and Daryl as the capos. And what's Jesus's motivation here in this scene anyways? He just spent the episode stopping this kind of thing, now he's a minion awaiting orders on who to hit next?
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Hear ye! Hear ye! I come here to announce the death of The Walking Dead television show.

Multiple reports are popping up all over the interwebs that Andrew Lincoln is leaving the show after next season. There is no Walking Dead without Rick Grimes.... of course there really isn't any real Walking Dead without Carl Grimes so they already shot themselves in the foot. This just makes that decision about 1000 times worse.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think Fear the Walking Dead making it to season 4 has proven there is a Walking Dead without Rick Grimes...or Coral. :wink:
He won. Period.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

hepcat wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 6:19 pm I think Fear the Walking Dead making it to season 4 has proven there is a Walking Dead without Rick Grimes...or Coral. :wink:
Good point.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Plus Lauren Cohan is reportedly only going to be in a handful of episodes.

Rats on a sinking ship?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well it's a good thing Frank Darabont is going to be working on a new Walking Dead series for AMC. At least we have that going for us.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I feel like we should have a montage of the last 9 years of this thread.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I would kill to see them replace the Rick Grimes character with Charlie Sheen playing Charlie Sheen.
He won. Period.