Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

morlac

Re: PC Gaming Randomness

Post by morlac »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:22 am So, what are the go-to "eye candy" games these days? My first three out of the gate for the new PC have been Final Fantasy XV, Elite Dangerous, and Doom. All of which look great, but I've spent countless hours with all of them already. Thought about putting modded Skyrim through it's paces, but I just barely (i.e. last week) finished playing through that on Switch.

Any other recommendations?

Farcry 5 looks about as photorealistic as I have ever seen in a game before and is brand new to boot.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

morlac wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:23 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:30 pm I've gone the refurbished route once. Never again.

I looked at a ton of places before I bought, and $1,300 seemed just about right. Everything with similar specs (that wasn't refurbished) was typically in the $1,500-$1,700 range. Here's similar specs (1070 vs 1070 ti seems to be the only difference) for $1,600. Here's the exact same specs for $1,534. Another identical build for $1,600. Hell, here's the same thing for $1,950!

Maybe you're seeing something I'm not...
Nope you got a really good deal. Just beware the power supply. That is the one spot they go cheap on for rebuilds that will bite you in the ass.
I'm always reluctant to mention my choice of gaming computer since people seem to get offended by the money I spend, but it's really my only vice, seeing as we don't smoke, drink, have kids or pets and always buy used cars, on the clearance rack clothes and shop at sales.

But for a gaming computer I want performance and reliability, so back in 2003 I got my first Falcon Northwest, a Mach V desktop for just over three grand. I played for about six years on it before I switched my gaming full time to consoles. I still used it as my daily personal computer. Then in early 2014 I gave up on the PS4 vs Xbox One war and went back to PC gaming. I bought another Falcon, this time a Talon desktop for about again three grand. I've never regretted spending the money, the machines run faultlessly, I never have seen a hardware issue and they come completely stripped of all crapware. Anytime I mention the Falcons to computer savvy folks they always go on about how I could have built one for myself for less than half the money, but I point out that I'm unable to build a computer myself and frankly I'd never trust any of my friends to build one for me that I could rely on for years and years.

I'm sure at some point Falcon won't be the gold standard of quality they have been, but my present rig might be the last gaming computer I'll every buy and so I'm glad I got a good one.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

They are capital expenditures.

You paid $3k for six years of enjoyment. $500/year, or $1.37/day.

And even without gaming, a computer improves my productivity. I can pay my bills inside half an hour without a single stamp or envelope, and balancing the books is a lot easier, as well.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
KDH

Post by KDH »

... :horse: ... RAZER game store launches
from Blues:
A new Razer Game Store is online, offering a digital shop for video games from the hardware manufacturer. They kick things off with discount vouchers and bonus rewards from their new loyalty program. They promise this is all too legit to quit: "Razer works with its many publisher and developer partners to make sure that all games sold on the Razer Game Store are fully licensed and legitimate." Apparently an admitted error by their CEO (thanks PCGamesN) handed out an extra half-off coupon code, which, mirroring a previous incident, they cheerfully honored.

Personally, I'm not expecting much from "the Razer Game Store" ... just a heads-up
Ain't nobody got time for that
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

They're Steam and UPlay keys, so if they manage decent prices, they can hang. GR: Wildlands sale price there is competitive with the last Steam discount.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
KDH

Post by KDH »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:48 pm ... they can hang.
But .. it's launch day .. the whole world is coming to look at your sparkly page store window .. they've managed to have their bow-tie on straight and an eight-year-old's idea of a genuine smile for the camera

:mrgreen:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont see how a hardware manufacturer can compete as there are already a bunch of other sites that do the same thing.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:24 pm I dont see how a hardware manufacturer can compete as there are already a bunch of other sites that do the same thing.
It's a brand promotion tool. As long as they don't lose money, they can make the discounts contingent on owning a Razer peripheral or something. or get some exclusive skins or cheap stuff like that.

EDIT: Turns out Razer store is operated by Nexway, who runs Gamespalnet in Europe and Gametap in the US. Gametap died back in 2010. This is their way to get back into the US, I guess?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Tried to play through some more Just Cause 2. I'm fighting controls as much as I'm playing the game. Driving is way too twitchy, and I end up swerving all over the road in ANY vehicle. This also makes motorcycles impossible to drive. AI can make almost square corners, I can't, even when I go full brakes and turn. I end up overshooting the corner and hit something. This makes the various chase missions impossible, including one where I need to chase down a papparazzi on a motorcycle. He's also grappler proof someone. I thought I can just fly over him and grappler him, but I can't. Chasing him through traffic is impossible.

Same with the helo missions. There was this faction mission where I need to chase a traitor who left on a helo. There's an armed helo which I took, but the enemy helo can go up and spiral, and I'm like WHAT? I tried to follow, I can't make maneuvers like that. Once I got lucky and got him down to 90%, but either I got nailed by another chopper behind me, or the enemy chopper managed to land on a building. I'm fighting my crosshair as much as I am flying.

I am uninstalling this.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am installing a couple old games I bought but never downloaded and played. Or dig up a couple more old games in my backlog.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Saw theres a texture patch for the old DOOM games...2.2 gigs!! I think the games were like 15 meg :)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:36 pm Saw theres a texture patch for the old DOOM games...2.2 gigs!! I think the games were like 15 meg :)
Umm... that's because it didn't have high res textures or sound files. Art and sound assets are what take up all the space on modern games.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I think it's the irony of a 15 meg game using 2 gigs worth of textures.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I am so easily distracted when it comes to choosing a game. I hear about a game here or see something on TV or read about something and I'm reloading an old game and playing it for two hours until I get distracted again. :?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Yeah, posted this in another thread, but I've been sucked back into DDO of all things. Installed it a little over a month ago, and I've already logged over 220 hrs... :oops:
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

On a somewhat related note, I've started listening to the Audible version of Blood, Sweat, and Pixels: The Triumphant, Turbulent Stories Behind How Video Games Are Made by Jason Schreier. So far it's a pretty interesting book.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im looking for a space game where I design a capital ship then send it out and it fights on its own and I find out how my design did and make new ones. I can research tech and such to improve my ships. Is there a game like this?

Im itching for a space game but I own lots of space games I already dont play and want something different. AI Wars is sorta'ish like this in that I make the ships but its like millions of little ships and Im interested in making a cap ship . I dont want to control the ship or conquer the galaxy. I just want a capital ship designer game to make ships and watch them fight.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

It's not exactly that, but you should play Rebel Galaxy. It's a fun little space adventure game.

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am thinking "Gratuitous Space Battles", but you design a fleet, not just a single ship. OTOH, the fleets are usually pretty small, just a handful of large ships.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya have it....rebel Galaxy.... tried to get back into the other night. I played it last year or so and loved it. but this go I just couldn't get into it at all and redeleted it.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

So, Sega is releasing Shenmue I & II on Steam (as well as PS4 and Xbone) sometime in 2018.

Is this a good thing?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:16 pm So, Sega is releasing Shenmue I & II on Steam (as well as PS4 and Xbone) sometime in 2018.

Is this a good thing?
I remember being so excited to get Shenmue on Dreamcast, because I'd heard how utterly amazing it was.

I still don't get the hype. At all. It was one of the most boring games I've ever played.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Mike Patton's voice work in The Darkness II is absolutely amazing. Not that I'm surprised.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cant find Star Wars Empire At War on my digital services. Would be so easy if I could. Now I have to find and dig out my boxed GOLD copy. Wonder if I can use my cd key on Steam or GoG?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:19 pm Cant find Star Wars Empire At War on my digital services. Would be so easy if I could. Now I have to find and dig out my boxed GOLD copy. Wonder if I can use my cd key on Steam or GoG?
Because you didn't buy it digital - you picked it up retail at Walmart some time prior to 2014

The internet never forgets...

EDIT: I also suspect you picked it up during a Humble Bundle sale and never redeemed the key on STEAM. :wink:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Probably. A lot of times I rebuy stuff that I either cant find but know I own or dont feel like looking. But only if the game is super duper cheap in the few dollar range.
Last edited by Daehawk on Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:16 pm So, Sega is releasing Shenmue I & II on Steam (as well as PS4 and Xbone) sometime in 2018.

Is this a good thing?
i have the Dreamcast versions still (even got a Euro import of Shenmue II so i could have a version with the original Japanese voice dialog), so no need for me to get the remakes. unless the remake is super rad... but at least Shenmue III is coming out to finally finish the story.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

According to news, it's NOT a remake.
KDH

Post by KDH »

... :csmile: ... Blizzard Launches Balance Gifting
Blizzard News announces that Blizzard Balance Gifting is now available. Blizzard Balance is their term for your money once it's in their hands, so this is basically a cash transfer. And if they are to be believed, this can be the perfect gift for a friend:

Struggling to find the perfect gift for a friend, or just hoping to give them the flexibility to choose their own gifts?

We’re expanding our gifting service by allowing you to send Blizzard Balance to your friends, offering you the benefits of retail gift cards in a new and easy-to-use digital format.

Sending Balance gifts is simple: visit the Blizzard Shop, select one of the suggested values—or enter a custom amount, click the “Gift Balance” button, and select a friend.

I'll take "Money Laundering" for 1000, Alex
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Even Steam can't escape the long arm of the Trumpster...

2288, President Trump was sitting in the office of the White House and wondering how to raise the country's GDP. He thought to take a money from "Naiobka", but unexpectedly the director of the FBM(Federal Bureau of Memes) entered the office and said that he had found information about the ancient country. This ancient country called Uganda, in this Uganda on street you can findt BITCOINS and DRUGS. Trump decided not to lose the opportunity and went to the pursuit of treasure, but upon arrival in Uganda he met with strange aggressive beasts who wanted to kill him and shouted something in the incomprehensible language "DO YOU KNOW THE WAY?". Trump decided to run away from them and collect all bitcoins and drugs.
You play for President Trump and you need to survive in a dangerous country of Uganda, collect all the bitcoins and drugs.
DO YOU KNOW THE WAY?
Features:
-You will be able to be President of the USA
-You will be able to visit the ancient country of Uganda
-You will be able to see incomprehensible aggressive animals
-Game genre: Platformer
-Simple and fun gameplay
-Good soundtrack
-Events of the game in an alternative reality and are based on how the game developer sees the future
-Budget of the game: 1 pack of cigarettes
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The one thing I like more about the Blizzard Balance than I do Steam Wallet is it allows you to pick your own amount instead of just the fixed amounts.
KDH

Post by KDH »

... :coffee: ... Valve acquires Campo Santo

In The Valley of Gods
Firewatch
From the Blog

4/21/2018
Campo Santo News

SAN FRANCISCO–LOS ANGELES–LONDON–SOMEWHERE IN NORTHERN ENGLAND—The twelve of us at Campo Santo have agreed to join Valve, where we will maintain our jobs as video game developers and continue production on our current project, In the Valley of Gods.

If you’re the type of person who gives two flips about this news, we can elaborate a little bit on this big decision. First, we really like making video games. Furthermore, and perhaps more accurately, we really like making and producing entertainment. From the day-to-day production of our last game, Firewatch, to the way we run the company, make merchandise, meet players at expos and shows, send out a quarterly literary journal, throw open-to-the-public game demos in the middle of an artificial forest—all of it is geared towards surprising, delighting, and entertaining the customers who have shared in our success.

In Valve we found a group of folks who, to their core, feel the same way about the work that they do (this, you may be surprised to learn, doesn’t happen every day). In us, they found a group with unique experience and valuable, diverse perspectives. It quickly became an obvious match.

Second, while visiting IGN’s headquarters in early 2015 to talk about Firewatch, we came across an undelivered 2011 Game of the Year Award for Portal 2. It happened to be engraved on an unopened bottle of champagne. Never ones to pass up free alcohol, we stole it and drank it to celebrate the launch of Firewatch a year later. So in some sense, this is a return home for us. Well, for that bottle of champagne.

Third, and last, we had a series of long conversations with the people at Valve and everyone shared the satisfaction we take in working with people whose talents dwarf our own to make things we never thought possible. Both sides spoke about our values and how, when you get right down to it, we, as human beings, are hard-limited by the time we have left when it comes to making the things we care about and believe in. They asked us if we’d all be interested in coming up to Bellevue and doing that there and we said yes.

Yes, we’re still making In the Valley of Gods (as a Valve game!); yes, we’ll still support Firewatch; and yes, we’ll still produce The Quarterly Review and our regular blog content. Thanks so much for your interest in our games and we’ll see you in Washington. Cheers.

—Campo Santo
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Apollo wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:07 pm Even Steam can't escape the long arm of the Trumpster...
There is a ridiculous number of Trump games on Steam. I keep ending up with them in bundles.
I have but one advocate.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

KDH wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:03 pm .
... :coffee: ... Valve acquires Campo Santo

In The Valley of Gods
Firewatch
From the Blog
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=95637&view=unread#unread
4/21/2018
Campo Santo News

SAN FRANCISCO–LOS ANGELES–LONDON–SOMEWHERE IN NORTHERN ENGLAND—The twelve of us at Campo Santo have agreed to join Valve, where we will maintain our jobs as video game developers and continue production on our current project, In the Valley of Gods.

If you’re the type of person who gives two flips about this news, we can elaborate a little bit on this big decision. First, we really like making video games. Furthermore, and perhaps more accurately, we really like making and producing entertainment. From the day-to-day production of our last game, Firewatch, to the way we run the company, make merchandise, meet players at expos and shows, send out a quarterly literary journal, throw open-to-the-public game demos in the middle of an artificial forest—all of it is geared towards surprising, delighting, and entertaining the customers who have shared in our success.

In Valve we found a group of folks who, to their core, feel the same way about the work that they do (this, you may be surprised to learn, doesn’t happen every day). In us, they found a group with unique experience and valuable, diverse perspectives. It quickly became an obvious match.

Second, while visiting IGN’s headquarters in early 2015 to talk about Firewatch, we came across an undelivered 2011 Game of the Year Award for Portal 2. It happened to be engraved on an unopened bottle of champagne. Never ones to pass up free alcohol, we stole it and drank it to celebrate the launch of Firewatch a year later. So in some sense, this is a return home for us. Well, for that bottle of champagne.

Third, and last, we had a series of long conversations with the people at Valve and everyone shared the satisfaction we take in working with people whose talents dwarf our own to make things we never thought possible. Both sides spoke about our values and how, when you get right down to it, we, as human beings, are hard-limited by the time we have left when it comes to making the things we care about and believe in. They asked us if we’d all be interested in coming up to Bellevue and doing that there and we said yes.

Yes, we’re still making In the Valley of Gods (as a Valve game!); yes, we’ll still support Firewatch; and yes, we’ll still produce The Quarterly Review and our regular blog content. Thanks so much for your interest in our games and we’ll see you in Washington. Cheers.

—Campo Santo
I'm in.

I loved Firewatch and the trailer for the new game looks great. They seem like a cool company.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Firewatch is the adventure game with the guy in the fire tower? I played it a bit and put it away for when I had more time. I haven't got back yet. Got tired of all the traveling in the game. Will need to try again sometime. It was sorta freaking me out . I was always expecting some otherworldly thing to happen. And that lady in the other tower id dead I bet. I bet she has been dead this entire time. *shudder*
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

So I customize my Steam store views, and one of them is no VR.
I did this a couple of years ago and now it seems to specialize in showing me VR products.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

While waiting for my new video card, I bought the Planescape Torment enhanced edition on GOG and I'm playing through it for the first time.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
KDH

Post by KDH »

... Flight Sim World: Closure Announcement

From Dovetail Games Forum:
It is with great sadness that we announce the future closure of Flight Sim World.

As you know, we always had a strong ambition to bring a new experience into the established world of flight simulation, one that deliberately overhauled both the flying experience and the graphical fidelity, offering new ways to fly.

Unfortunately, after many detailed discussions, we regrettably don’t see a clear direction that will allow us to keep to the development time we’d want, alongside the player numbers we need.

So, slightly before a year since we first launched into Early Access, we have made the intensely difficult decision to fully scale back all future development on Flight Sim World and remove it from sale on 24th May.

We’re sure you have lots of questions, we hope we’ve answered a few here.
FAQ

What happens to Flight Sim World if I already own it?
It will remain in your Steam library, available to play in its current format.

Will the sim be taken off sale?
Yes, and we’re working to the date of 24th May 2018. We want to give anyone who does not yet own a copy of the sim enough time to get a copy and keep it safe in their library for future play.

What will happen to any Add-Ons?
Add-Ons will also come off sale, but those you already own will still also be in your Steam library.

We hope you can give the team the respect they deserve for their tireless hard work to date. Please know that all of us here at Dovetail hold flight simulation, the creators of add-on content, and especially you, the community for this sim, in incredibly high regard for both your support and time with Flight Sim World.

- The Flight Sim World Team

DTG Cryss, Apr 23, 2018 at 12:20 PM
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Star Wars Pod Racer is out on GOG.

While the prequels were all sorts of terrible, I remember this being a damn fun racing game. It's entirely possible that's the nostalgia talking, but I can't wait to give it another shot.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Playing Gemcraft, a tower defense game where you create and combine gems to power up the weapons against the invading insectoid monsters. The graphics seems to be a bit too low-res despite high resolution settings, but the way it handles upgrades is pretty interesting.

Instead of just upgrade towers, you upgrade the gems that you put into the towers by merging them, and creating new ones from the mana you gather when you kill the monsters. There are also special gems like critical hit, mana steal, slow, armor weaken, poison, and so on. You can merge gems to create some with combo effects. The trick is obviously balance between building towers (costs go up as you built more) and create gems and combine gems as they become possible. Early waves can be handled by low-level gems, but later levels require higher level gems, which means you have to create the gems and pull the deployed ones back, merge/upgrade them, and put them back out. There was a level I was stuck on, can't get past it for like 10 tries. I tried it tonight and after losing twice, I got it on the third try, as I wasn't combining and deploying level 3 gems.