[Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Isgrimnur

Re: [Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

Post by Isgrimnur »

Perfect for that person in your life that’s a fan of WWII encryption and undersea communication cables.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:18 am Cryptonomicon is the best book I've ever read about undersea data cables.
I liked it because I enjoy historical fiction and the history of encryption.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I enjoyed it as well. I just don't assume that my interests, especially those, are going to match up with many other people.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Apologies in advance - there's close to 300 Marvel titles for sale via Amazon digital; all are under $1.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Dammit, Smoove. :grund: :grund: :grund:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Sale apparently ended last night, sorry. It'll be back..
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It was actually still up earlier today when I clicked on your link. I was at work though, so I didn't have time to grab anything.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm confident it'll be back. I'll send you a PM when I see it. :wink:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm not familiar with this series, but John Scalzi's Lock In (part 1 of 2) is on sale today for $2.99:
A blazingly inventive near-future thriller from the best-selling, Hugo Award-winning John Scalzi.

Not too long from today, a new, highly contagious virus makes its way across the globe. Most who get sick experience nothing worse than flu, fever and headaches. But for the unlucky one percent - and nearly five million souls in the United States alone - the disease causes "Lock In": Victims fully awake and aware, but unable to move or respond to stimulus. The disease affects young, old, rich, poor, people of every color and creed. The world changes to meet the challenge.

A quarter of a century later, in a world shaped by what's now known as "Haden's syndrome," rookie FBI agent Chris Shane is paired with veteran agent Leslie Vann. The two of them are assigned what appears to be a Haden-related murder at the Watergate Hotel, with a suspect who is an "integrator" - someone who can let the locked in borrow their bodies for a time. If the Integrator was carrying a Haden client, then naming the suspect for the murder becomes that much more complicated.

But "complicated" doesn't begin to describe it. As Shane and Vann began to unravel the threads of the murder, it becomes clear that the real mystery - and the real crime - is bigger than anyone could have imagined. The world of the locked in is changing, and with the change comes opportunities that the ambitious will seize at any cost. The investigation that began as a murder case takes Shane and Vann from the halls of corporate power to the virtual spaces of the locked in, and to the very heart of an emerging, surprising new human culture. It's nothing you could have expected.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Tor.com’s eBook of the Month Club
For his crimes, Mycroft Canner is required to wander the world being as useful as he can to all he meets.

Carlyle Foster is a sensayer—a spiritual counselor in a world that has outlawed the public practice of religion, but which also knows that the inner lives of humans cannot be wished away.

The 25th century world into which Mycroft and Carlyle have been born is as strange to our 21st-century eyes as ours would be to a native of the 1500s. It is a hard-won utopia built on technologically-generated abundance, and also on complex and mandatory systems of labelling all public writing and speech. What seem to us normal gender distinctions are now distinctly taboo in most social situations.

To us it seems like a mad combination of heaven and hell. To them, it seems like normal life.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Skinny Legs and All by Tom Robbins
$1.99
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:35 pm It was actually still up earlier today when I clicked on your link. I was at work though, so I didn't have time to grab anything.
As promised, it's back again. :D
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Wizard: The Life and Times of Nikola Tesla
$1.99

SuperFreakonomics: Global Cooling, Patriotic Prostitutes, and Why Suicide Bombers Should Buy Life Insurance
$2.99

Lost in the Jungle by Yossi Ghinsberg
$1.99
I recently saw the movie adaptation "Jungle" on Amazon Prime staring Harry Potter. It was pretty good. Now I want to read the book.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Tor.com’s eBook of the Month Club

Enlarge Image
Jag

Post by Jag »

I love the new animated book covers for e-books. I'm surprised more people aren't using it.
Enlarge Image
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

These Is My Words by Nancy E. Turner
$1.99

I really enjoyed this story about early frontier living in AZ.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The Terror by Dan Simmons is $2.99 today.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Amazon First Reads for May are posted.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wild Cards written (in part) and edited by up and coming author George RR Martin is a daily deal @ 2.99 today.

Not sure how long these will last, but Sweet Silver Blues (Garrett, P.I.) by Glen Cook (yes that Glen Cook) is also $2.99 (at least as of this post).

Prince of Thorns is another at $2.99 (at least as of this post).
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

Prince of Thorns is amazing. Instant buy if you like grimdark.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Courtesy of qt3, a ton of ebooks on sale (note, it's multiple pages, and while the link is to sff, there are other genres also on sale)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ænima wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:43 pm Prince of Thorns is amazing. Instant buy if you like grimdark.
Someone must have mentioned it somewhere in another thread because it's been sitting in my wishlist for a few years. I was surprised that out of nowhere it was on sale, so I shared. Not sure who made the original recommendation, but you're the real MVP.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

A big :handgestures-thumbup: for David Feintuch's Seafort Saga books. I remember reading them when they first came out and really enjoyed them, so much so that I read them twice.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jag

Post by Jag »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:18 pm
Ænima wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:43 pm Prince of Thorns is amazing. Instant buy if you like grimdark.
Someone must have mentioned it somewhere in another thread because it's been sitting in my wishlist for a few years. I was surprised that out of nowhere it was on sale, so I shared. Not sure who made the original recommendation, but you're the real MVP.
It's really grimdark though. Gratuitously violent. It wasn't bad, just tough in some parts. I think I like my grim a bit less dark. More Abercrombie and less Goodkind.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jag wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:29 am
Smoove_B wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:18 pm
It's really grimdark though. Gratuitously violent. It wasn't bad, just tough in some parts. I think I like my grim a bit less dark. More Abercrombie and less Goodkind.
You should check out grimdusk, then.
Black Lives Matter.
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

Goodkind belongs nowhere near a discussion of good authors. I don’t even know what you’re trying to say there...
Jag

Post by Jag »

Ænima wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:12 pm Goodkind belongs nowhere near a discussion of good authors. I don’t even know what you’re trying to say there...
It wasn't a compliment about him at all. I was using him as an example at the extreme range of gratuitous violence.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

The Quantum Thief was quite the odd read... still debating if I'll get the rest of the series. :think:
-mf
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enlarge Image

$2.99
After their parents divorced in the 1970s, Andre Dubus III and his three siblings grew up with their overworked mother in a depressed Massachusetts mill town saturated with drugs and everyday violence. Nearby, his father, an eminent author, taught on a college campus and took the kids out on Sundays. The clash between town and gown, between the hard drinking, drugging, and fighting of "townies" and the ambitions of students debating books and ideas, couldn’t have been more stark. In this unforgettable memoir, acclaimed novelist Dubus shows us how he escaped the cycle of violence and found empathy in channeling the stories of others—bridging, in the process, the rift between his father and himself.
Recommended if you like memoirs.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Swan Song Robert McCammon is $1.99 today. I actually just re-read this about a year ago (after not having read it since the late 1980s) and it held up.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I've liked all of Robert McCammon's books that I have read. I was going to buy this but was informed that I bought it in 2015.

It's as bad as Steam I tell you!

A couple of his other books are on sale for $2.99 also.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

FWIW, if you have a Samsung phone, download their customized version of "Kindle app for Samsung" and you get a free eBook every month (selection is a bit sparse) and this is in addition to any OTHER offers you may already have (Prime Reading, Lending Lib, Kindle Unlimited, etc. )
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Amazon June First Reads are posted.

This is the only one that looks promising.

Enlarge Image
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

That's the one I picked too.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Will Wight's Traveler's Gate trilogy is free today on Kindle. He's a fantastic author and this is a steal. Great series. Get it here!

You can also get the first 3 books of his Cradle series free today here.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

ColdSteel wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:04 pm Will Wight's Traveler's Gate trilogy is free today on Kindle. He's a fantastic author and this is a steal. Great series. Get it here!

You can also get the first 3 books of his Cradle series free today here.
Thanks for the tip!
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯