Syria - civil war incoming?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Sepiche

Re: Syria - civil war incoming?

Post by Sepiche »

Interesting timeline of the short lived Israeli bombing campaign in Syria in February. Built from sources in the various militaries and civilian social media posts.
https://warisboring.com/50408-2/

TL;DR:
An Iranian drone wandered into Israeli airspace, so the Israelis destroyed the large airbase it was operating out of. An Israeli aircrew screwed up and got taken down by a Syrian air defense missile during the raid. Israel brought down the hammer, crippled the southern Syrian air defense network, hit command and control targets all around Damascus (including a report that they killed the head of the Syrian chemical weapons program), and only called off the raids after Vladimir Putin personally reached out to Netanyahu.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
The U.N. human rights chief has been blocked from speaking to the Security Council about the situation in Syria after Russia, backed by China and others, protested that the U.N. body charged with ensuring international peace and security should not be discussing human rights.

At the start of Monday afternoon’s council meeting that was to be addressed by High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad al-Hussein, Russia demanded a procedural vote on whether the meeting should be held.

Under council rules, nine “yes” votes are required.

After the issue was put to a vote, the result was 8 countries in favor, 4 against and 3 abstentions. So the meeting was canceled.

It was a very rare defeat on a procedural issue at an open council meeting.

But it reflected deep divisions at the Security Council over seven years of Syrian conflict that has involved President Bashar Assad’s key ally Russia and Western nations including the U.S. and other supporters of the Syrian opposition.
Security is easy if everyone is in chains or dead.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Scores dead in Syria gas attack, rescuers and medics say
Rescuers in Syria say at least 150 people have died after toxic gas was dropped on Douma, the last rebel-held town in Eastern Ghouta.

Volunteer rescue force The White Helmets tweeted graphic images showing scores of bodies in a basement. It said the death toll is likely to rise.

There has been no independent verification of the reports.

Syria's government has called the allegations of a chemical attack a "fabrication".

The US state department said it is monitoring the reports, and that Russia - which is fighting alongside the Syrian government - should be held responsible if deadly chemicals had been used.

"The regime's history of using chemical weapons against its own people in not in dispute," said the State Department.

"Russia ultimately bears responsibility for the brutal targeting of countless Syrians with chemical weapons."

The pro-opposition Ghouta Media Center tweeted that more than a thousand people had suffered the effects of the alleged gas attack.

It blamed a barrel bomb allegedly dropped by a helicopter which it said contained sarin, a toxic nerve agent.

Douma is the last rebel-held town in Syria's Eastern Ghouta region, and is under siege from government forces.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Throwing Russia under the bus for Syrian chemical weapons attacks without direct evidence of involvement seems reasonable and unlikely to cause an increase in tensions. /s
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:49 pm Throwing Russia under the bus for Syrian chemical weapons attacks without direct evidence of involvement seems reasonable and unlikely to cause an increase in tensions. /s
Yes, I'm sure that the Trump administration will hold Russia accountable for allowing their puppet (in Syria) to take this action.

Enlarge Image

In other news, it turns out that the alleged chemical attack happened on the anniversary of Trump's missile strike against Shayrat Airbase. What a weird coincidence.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

Reports coming in of cruise missile or missile strikes on an syrian mil airport. USA have denied reaponsibility. Possibly israel or france??
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Stefan Stirzaker wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:36 pm Reports coming in of cruise missile or missile strikes on an syrian mil airport. USA have denied reaponsibility. Possibly israel or france??
France did say they would unilaterally strike at Syria if chemical weapons were used again.
Hodor.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

pr0ner wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:41 pm
Stefan Stirzaker wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:36 pm Reports coming in of cruise missile or missile strikes on an syrian mil airport. USA have denied reaponsibility. Possibly israel or france??
France did say they would unilaterally strike at Syria if chemical weapons were used again.
As of this morning, it sounds like everyone believes it was Israel.

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

From what I've read, it's the same airbase where that Iranian drone infiltrated Israel a couple of months came from, which would additionally suggest that Israel carried this out.
Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

According to your Chief, you're firing missiles soon, so yes now none will be shot down as the game plan has been laid out via twitter. Stealth! Planning! The best Planners!

"SMART"
Spoiler:
Russia vows to shoot down any and all missiles fired at Syria. Get ready Russia, because they will be coming, nice and new and “smart!” You shouldn’t be partners with a Gas Killing Animal who kills his people and enjoys it!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 5440747520
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

That’s probably the point. Giving them a heads up so as not to anger his handlers, but then being able to still show off his toys and act tough.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Stefan Stirzaker wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:37 am According to your Chief, you're firing missiles soon, so yes now none will be shot down as the game plan has been laid out via twitter. Stealth! Planning! The best Planners!

"SMART"
Spoiler:
Russia vows to shoot down any and all missiles fired at Syria. Get ready Russia, because they will be coming, nice and new and “smart!” You shouldn’t be partners with a Gas Killing Animal who kills his people and enjoys it!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 5440747520
And yes Virginia, there is a Trump tweet from uncanny valley:

Donald Trump wrote:@walaa_3ssaf No, dopey, I would not go into Syria, but if I did it would be by surprise and not blurted all over the media like fools.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Holman

Post by Holman »

Commander-in-Chief wrote:Never said when an attack on Syria would take place. Could be very soon or not so soon at all! In any event, the United States, under my Administration, has done a great job of ridding the region of ISIS. Where is our “Thank you America?”
He is positively Churchillian.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Oh my God he sounds like one of my kids when called out on something. "I didn't say I wasn't doing my homework. I said I MIGHT not be doing my homework RIGHT NOW." Seriously how can any grown adult support this imbecile, regardless of political views?
Jag

Post by Jag »

I'm still trying to wrap my head around "...or not so soon at all!"
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

YellowKing wrote:Oh my God he sounds like one of my kids when called out on something. "I didn't say I wasn't doing my homework. I said I MIGHT not be doing my homework RIGHT NOW." Seriously how can any grown adult support this imbecile, regardless of political views?
And don't forget to add your child saying, "I brushed my teeth a few days ago! Where's the THANK YOU, (insert child name here) !"
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Ages 8 and up according Board Game Geek

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

You know, for all his idiocy, I think Drumpf actually managed to freak out the Russians
Russian officials in recent days had warned of the possibility of a direct military confrontation with the United States as a result of a U.S. strike. Any missile attack that puts Russian lives at risk, Moscow has said, would result in Russia striking back at the missiles and at the planes or ships that launched them.
In the wake of Trump’s Wednesday tweet warning Russia of a planned U.S. missile strike, however, Moscow appears to be trying to make clear that it does not want a war and that a limited attack that doesn’t risk Russian lives would not precipitate a military response.
The Kommersant newspaper quoted anonymous Defense Ministry sources as saying that Russia’s General Staff was in touch with the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff and expected to receive coordinates on airstrike targets from the Pentagon to avoid Russian casualties.

“Right now, the talk is about the necessity of de-escalation,” said Alexander Golts, an independent military analyst in Moscow. “We’ve practically come to the brink of war.”
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I would think America would be equally "freaked out" if Putin started talking about putting American lives in danger.

Also, for all of Putin's bluster, Russia's economy isn't exactly going gangbusters.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:27 amAlso, for all of Putin's bluster, Russia's economy isn't exactly going gangbusters.
Putin cares about the average Russian about as much as Trump the average American. As long as their pocket linings grow they give a crap about anyone else. Economies are doing just fine for both.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yeah, I meant that the economy isn't exactly ready for a major military confrontation.

Economies are never so bad that you can't skim off the top.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Associated Press wrote:BREAKING: The Russian military says that an alleged chemical attack in Syria was staged and directed by Britain.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:roll:
malchior

Post by malchior »

That's a credible report.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Russian Defense Ministry spokesman, Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov, released statements by medics from Douma’s hospital who said a group of people toting video cameras entered the hospital, shouting that its patients were struck with chemical weapons and causing panic. The medics said none of the patients were hurt by chemicals.

Konashenkov said Friday that Britain was “directly involved in the provocation,” but didn’t elaborate or provide evidence.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/wor ... 514039002/
Moscow, he said, has “irrefutable information that it was another fabrication.” Lavrov did not offer evidence to back up his claim. Other Russian officials – both from Moscow and speaking at the United Nations – alleged quickly after Saturday’s suspected attack that the images of the victims in Douma were a sham.
Rip

Post by Rip »

I'm thinking shit will start getting blown up this weekend.

Should be by far the largest attack we have made on them.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Rip wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:36 pm I'm thinking shit will start getting blown up this weekend.

What will it accomplish?
Rip

Post by Rip »

Fitzy wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:05 pm
Rip wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:36 pm I'm thinking shit will start getting blown up this weekend.

What will it accomplish?
That if you use chemical/biological weapons there will be a price exacted, no matter if you have powerful friends watching your back or not.

What would you suggest and what would your suggestion accomplish?
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For an America First president he sure does a lot of foreign shooting.

We should support our Kurdish allies and friends and that be our involvement. Just support them.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

What will it accomplish?
A distraction from Comey's book release. Although I expect Trump will hold off until he needs a distraction from Rosenstein's firing. :coffee:

Rip

Post by Rip »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:18 pm For an America First president he sure does a lot of foreign shooting.

We should support our Kurdish allies and friends and that be our involvement. Just support them.

Supporting Kurds fully would be awesome. I'm pretty sure we can count on Bolton to see that done.

It does nothing however to dissuade the Syrians form using chemical weapons.

The only thing that will is the realization that the cost of doing so outweighs ANY potential benefit. The only way to drive that home is to make sure the cost is VERY extreme.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Rip wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:13 pm

What will it accomplish?
That if you use chemical/biological weapons there will be a price exacted, no matter if you have powerful friends watching your back or not.

What would you suggest and what would your suggestion accomplish?
I would suggest that presidents stop drawing red lines they have no intention of actually defending. Just like last year, lobbing missiles will accomplish nothing except pundits gushing how presidential Trump looks. A low bar to be sure.

I’d suggest figuring out an actual mission in Syria or withdrawing. That would enable long term planning with specific objects beyond blow shit up.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Why has Trump been threatening to attack Syria? (Hint: It’s probably not about Syria.)
On Wednesday morning, President Trump tweeted that, in response to Syria’s latest chemical weapons attack, against civilians in Douma, the United States would be launching another missile attack against the Assad regime using “new and ‘smart’ ” weapons. The next day, he tweeted that such an attack might — or might not — occur.

Even with that caution, any preview of future military operations contradicts Trump’s statements as a candidate. While campaigning, he repeatedly criticized President Barack Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton for announcing impending military operations against the Iraqi city of Mosul.

Why the changes of heart?

Sometimes there are reasons to publicize military operations before a major offensive — especially if the warning is specific about the intended targets, which Trump’s tweet was not. But the kind of airstrikes that Trump suggested Wednesday require the element of surprise. All of which suggests that Trump’s tweet is less likely to have genuinely been a military announcement, and much more likely to have been an appeal to his domestic political base as the special counsel’s investigation escalates and midterm elections approach.

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Why has Trump been threatening to attack Syria? (Hint: It’s probably not about Syria.)
Eh, I was going to suggest for the same reason he's now changing his turn about the TPP. Because he's usually talking BS he knows nothing about, and sometimes, reality interferes with that view. And the idea that Trump could keep his mouth (well, fingers. little, little fingers) shut about something stretches credulity.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Strike launched against Syria. President talking on TV. France and the UK also on board.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Enough

Post by Enough »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:05 pm Strike launched against Syria. President talking on TV. France and the UK also on board.
Thank god they're on board.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Let the distraction commence!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:16 pm Let the distraction commence!
WHERE'S YOUR BOOK TOUR NOW, LYIN' JAMES COMEY??
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:16 pm Let the distraction commence!
And let the firings begin!
Black lives matter!