[Netflix] Lost in Space reboot series

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

[Netflix] Lost in Space reboot series

Post by Daehawk »

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/11/21/ ... -tv-series
Neil Marshall expected to direct.
In addition to Sazama and Sharpless, Synthesis Entertainment's Kevin Burns is on board to executive produce. Neil Marshall and Marc Helwig of Applebox are executive producers as well, with the former expected to direct.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
rshetts2

Re: [Netflix] Lost in Space reboot series

Post by rshetts2 »

Hopefully they go with the way the original series was meant to be before execs decided to turn it into Gillians Island In SPAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
tgb

Post by tgb »

I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

tgb wrote:Image
This. So much this.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I sort of liked the movie.

Danger! Danger! :ninja:
There is no hug button. Sad!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Deadline
House of Cards‘ Molly Parker is set as the female lead opposite Toby Stephens in Lost in Space, Netflix’s remake of sci-fi master Irwin Allen’s 1965 cult TV classic, from Legendary TV.

Slated for a 2018 premiere, the new Lost in Space takes its cues from the original CBS series, revolving around the Robinson family, who is forced to come together in a time of crisis. Stranded light years from their intended destination, the Robinsons find themselves battling a strange new alien environment and their own personal demons.

Parker will play Maureen Robinson, the role played by June Lockhart in the original series, a fearless and brilliant aerospace engineer who makes the decision to bring her family to space for a chance at a new life on a better world. Stephens plays the dad, astrophysicist John Robinson, the expedition commander. Also previously cast are Maxwell Jenkins, who plays Will, the youngest Robinson child, and Taylor Russell, who portrays the Robinsons’ eldest daughter, Judy.

Lost in Space was written by feature scribes Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless (Dracula Untold). They executive produce with Zack Estrin, who serves as showrunner; Kevin Burns and Jon Jashni of Synthesis Entertainment; and Neil Marshall and Marc Helwig of Legendary TV-based Applebox. Marshall will serve as producing director and direct several episodes of the series.
Parker is coming off a guest actress Emmy nomination for her role as House Whip Jackie Sharp in House of Cards. She next co-stars in David E. Kelley’s upcoming Amazon series Goliath opposite Billy Bob Thornton and William Hurt, on which she has a one-year series regular deal. She also will be seen in several upcoming films including the Lakeshore/Lionsgate release of Ewan McGregor’s directorial debut American Pastoral, which hits theaters October 21; Bruce McDonald’s Weirdos, which just premiered at TIFF; and Small Crimes, opposite Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Jacki Weaver.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I saw the thread and thought "hey wonder what this is about?"...then I see I posted it....dont remember a thing. Maybe it hasn't happened yet.

Anyways I wont be watching. I loved the original but I cannot take characters like the Doc these days and it would ruin it or Id ruin it for my wife by fussing the entire time.
Last edited by Daehawk on Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I'll watch only if they cast Gilbert Gottfried as Dr. Smith
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Daehawk wrote:I loved the original but I cannot take characters like the Doc these days and it would ruin it or Id ruin it for my wife by fussing the entire time.
Doctor Smith was quite more menacing in the beginning. It wasn't until they went toward the family/wacky tone did he get spastic.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And your new Doctor Smith is ... Parker Posey!
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Isgrimnur wrote:And your new Doctor Smith is ... Parker Posey!
Remember when Battle Star Galactica did the amazing gender swap with the character of Starbuck? Wow that was shocking and edgy! It was also a dozen years ago. Gender swapping is not shocking or edgy, it's become the biggest Hollywood cliche of this century. I really hope that this swap has a purpose and it is not just a "Look how cool we are, Dr. Smith is a chick!" kind of thing. Im wondering how they will pull off the whole thing. In the original, Dr. Smith was a coward and a bit of a buffoon but he also had a deeper sense of menace, with quite honestly a touch of pedophile in him. Im not sure I see that in Parker Posey.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yaaa..female Dr...pass.

Then again ive never seen the other remake movie with LeBlanc.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Parker Posey drips with disdain and condescension. She is a master of snark. I don't think menace is too much of a stretch for her. For the first time, I'm interested in this show now. Hope they release it on DVD.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Trailer:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looks horrible. But I hate everything anyways.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Looks like fun. I’m in.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

We'll see. The trailer makes it hard to tell where they draw the line between wonder and 'Stranger Things.' I love Stranger Things. I don't need another one, though. I'd love to see something with a serious edge, but a real sense of wonder and discovery.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I'll watch, has potential
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I'll give it a shot, but the trailer makes it look like Lost in space the Tow Truck years, with them constantly pulling the J2 out of something.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'll watch. At least the first one or two.

Personally, I agree with Kraken ("Release the Kraken!"). I think Parker could do an excellent job. I don't think she'll have a problem with menace.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

-mf

Post by Default »

Great. Now I want to tap Dr Smith.

So conflicted.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I love how Parker can go from wild haired scumbag to hot Parker in the space of one scene.

Also, take a drink every time she strikes a reclining pose. I guarantee you’ll be drunk by the end credits in every episode after the second one.
Covfefe!

Post by Default »

hepcat wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:32 pm I love how Parker can go from wild haired scumbag to hot Parker in the space of one scene.

Also, take a drink every time she strikes a reclining pose. I guarantee you’ll be drunk by the end credits in every episode after the second one.
And this would be different from my normal life how?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You’re cutting back from drinking every time someone uses a vowel?
Covfefe!

Post by Default »

hepcat wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:52 pm You’re cutting back from drinking every time someone uses a vowel?
Thanks to that sentence, I'm halfway through my Four Roses.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Been watching this some evenings and while I like the sci-fi theme and setting, I have a really hard time choking down some of the logic these people use and physics the show employs.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Lost in Space was always high camp. I don't mind elements of that in this reboot, as it hearkens back to the spirit of the original series.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

In the original, everything was campy. Sets, acting, plots. I really enjoyed it for what it was.

In this one, everything is serious and straight - until they need to solve a problem. Then it's suddenly absurd - problem and solution, typically. It's maybe too jarring for my tastes. The show could be titled "A Series of Unfortunate MacGuffins"

The best part for me so far has been mocking it with my brother-in-law when we're sitting there watching it.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Paingod wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:08 am Been watching this some evenings and while I like the sci-fi theme and setting, I have a really hard time choking down some of the logic these people use and physics the show employs.
I can't argue with you on that. The original Lost in Space really focused on the hard science of space exploration.

Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Four episodes in and my daughter and I are enjoying it. Nice to have something the both of us can watch.

My favorite thing though is yelling out "IN SPACE" every time someone says "lost".
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Brian

Post by Brian »

I'm three episodes in and so far it's just not grabbing me. I'll go a couple more episodes to give it a chance but probably won't complete the season.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The one thing I notice is just how cinematic it is. Almost like they took a cue from Discovery. I fully expect the story to take over, doing what the story demands, logic be damned.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

I just finished it. It was decent. There was way too much stupid when people were dealing with Dr. Smith. I will say that Parker Posey did a good job of making me absolutely hate her character. Sadly the final few minutes of the show are where things truly get interesting, the rest is just basic origin story. I do hope it gets a 2nd season because of how it ended.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Well, No

Just too many characters doing stupid things that make no sense at all. Where is the joy in this thing? Dr. Smith was bad and evil in the original but the actor had an enduring quality that kinda made you like the bumbling fumbling guy. In this incarnation, they just went full on evil for this Smith and she's just not likeable at all. The other actors are pleasant enough but is that enough to carry me through for the second season? Certainly the story will not. Danger is predictable. Betrayal is predictable. Quite moments are predictable. Action is predictable.

What's funny is that the special effects are great all around. From the space ship, to the planet, to the robot, to the space station, the space suits. Even the chariot seemed like a real thing and not a space prop like in the original. Another curious thing is that while the story telling is lame the acting is pretty good all around.

I really wanted to like this show because the original was one of my childhood favorites. But once again where was the joy? This reboot had many of the markers of the original but not too much of the tone of the original. And I will grant you that the original was annoyingly ludicrous in its later episodes, in particular when you compare it to Star Trek that came on at the same time. Of course by making Dr. Smith a full on villain in this reboot, they sorta boxed the show into a dramatic corner of which there is no logical return.

Don West is probably my favorite character of the humans. I hope they can feature him in this reboot more than they did in the original. that is , assuming they get a season 2. OTOH, I will need strong word of mouth to check out season 2 because I simply will not be interested in watching the Further Adventures of the Very Evil and Very Bad Dr. Smith.
AKA: Dajjer
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I finished it last night and I enjoyed it enough to want a season 2. Maybe it’s because I wasn’t a big fan of the original. The actor who played Don West did a fantastic job of creating a different take on the 2 dimensional source character, while Posey’s Smith brought her A game with a character who I still can’t figure out the depth of her rottenness.

The first season was all about living up to the source’s influence, The Swiss Family Robinson, i thought. And I feel they did so well enough. But now it’s time for some full blown space exploration.
Covfefe!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

killbot737 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:58 pm I sort of liked the movie.

Danger! Danger! :ninja:
I tried to rewatch it recently. I couldn't get past Matt Leblanc hitting on Heather Graham.

Just awful. No. Thanks.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

My daughter wanted to watch this so we did the first episode. It's a bit dark for a 7 year old but she's ok with that. What I'm afraid of are the inevitable stupidity that will have to exist to prolong the Dr. Smith character's existence. The kiddo doesn't handle that stuff well. She was already tearing her hair out over the choices they were making. And she rolled her eyes at the deus ex machina moment(s).
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

LawBeefaroni wrote:My daughter wanted to watch this so we did the first episode. It's a bit dark for a 7 year old but she's ok with that. What I'm afraid of are the inevitable stupidity that will have to exist to prolong the Dr. Smith character's existence. The kiddo doesn't handle that stuff well. She was already tearing her hair out over the choices they were making. And she rolled her eyes at the deus ex machina moment(s).
LOL, my 11 year old daughter yells at the screen when Dr. Smith is on. Our daughters should compare notes.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Perhaps a Kids of OO subforum.