Thinking of ditching cable tv, thoughts

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

dobberhd

Re: Thinking of ditching cable tv, thoughts

Post by dobberhd »

Is anyone else running a Plex server (with Plex pass) noticing any issues? I can't log in anymore.
dobberhd

Post by dobberhd »

And now it's back up. They must have been doing something with the server. Even the trouble-shooting forums were down.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I think I may be at the straw that gets my fat ass of the couch. I'm up to $111 a month for basic 88 channel cable and 2 up 2 down Internet and this is after applying a $30 per month discount that I have to beg for every year.

I see Hulu has a pretty nice channel package for $30 a month, only they won't give all of the details on their page which is beyond annoying and they don't have an option for local channels.

I have to figure out how local channels are going to work. I hope I don't have to attach an external and heaven forbid directional antenna to my house.

I'm also trying to engage the idea of Sling (at $20 per month) Netflix and Amazon Prime options and revisit if Vue is properly available in my area.

Ideally, whatever I use integrates with TiVo as my receiver, which I also have to research.

The horrible thing is if WOW actually offers me reasonable rates for a year, I'll stick around but they won't do it as long as my threats to leave are idle, even if I suspect the second I say "cut the cord" their customer retention line will kick in as cable is easy. It's just not $110 a month easy and comes complete with frequent outages and weirdness in their broadcasting.

After catching up on this thread, I may have to see what DirectTV Now is as well.
stessier

Post by stessier »

You should check out a digital antenna. You likely won't have to put it on the roof - there's a good chance it would work wherever your TV is. And you still have the old Tivo 2, right? Those are easy to get to work with that antenna.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote:You should check out a digital antenna. You likely won't have to put it on the roof - there's a good chance it would work wherever your TV is. And you still have the old Tivo 2, right? Those are easy to get to work with that antenna.

They took away my Series 2 subscription when they gave me a lifetime subscription to whatever the latest iteration of TiVo is called. I broke down and paid $400 earlier this year because the Series 2 wouldn't work with my TV and required a "DTA" to work with my cable provider.

I adore the functionality of my new TiVo, which is why, if possible, I don't want to give it up.

Antenna research sounds like it's going to be a pain. I've heard a lot of tale of heart ache from cord cutters. Most eventually seem to give up on local TV or wire something to the roof.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LordMortis wrote: Most eventually seem to give up on local TV or wire something to the roof.
With football season on the horizon, this is especially painful. None of the football-bearing channels come in for me OTA.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Cable bill went up $30 a month this month. I am sure I can call to reduce it $20 and lock myself in for another year but $140 a month for 88 channels of crap non HD and 2 up 2 down is it. Inertia is finally giving way as I don't want to fight for a pittance of a discount and I can't see paying that rate. I've been talking for about two years but this weekend either they deal or I move back to.... Comcast... And if Comcast won't come up roses for me then I think I'm looking at Internet only and will probably look at the Hulu package or possibly Vue Detroit.

Is cable TV an old person thing? Like how AOL stays in business off of dead accounts? I can't see how cable TV hook anyone under 40 into these rates and keep them.

giving up TV could get weird. I hope it doesn't come to that.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Comcast has a streaming thing that's about $20 on top of what you pay for internet (you have to have their internet). I pay them $70 per month for this and internet. It is just a basic cable package, and their phone app won't Chromecast and AFAIK they do not have apps for, say Amazon Fire, but the package does include HBO and you can use an HBO app and login with your Comcast credentials. This works for nearly all other network apps (except for CBS who wants their extra blood money). Since it includes no sports, I've had to augment with Sling TV but I'm frustrated that anything showing on CSN or NBCSN is "blacked out in my area" when I know damn well those are available if I had regular cable TV. :x :x :x

One of these days I'm going to see if YouTubeTV is any better.
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

LordMortis wrote: Antenna research sounds like it's going to be a pain. I've heard a lot of tale of heart ache from cord cutters. Most eventually seem to give up on local TV or wire something to the roof.
try a $4 Chinese special first - it may work out very well for you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Indoo ... SwPyBZqMaC
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Laziness wins out for another year. I called to cancel my cable today to move from WOW to Comcast. They cut my bill from $141 to $102 for 80 channels of basic cable and 2 up/2 down internet. They rate and commitment are for one year. $102 is still way too much but I'm lazy and I fear change.
stessier

Post by stessier »

2 up and 2 down? I hope that was a free add on to the 80 channels...I think even Smoove does better than that!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It's all I need. I don't want to pay for more, sot that's all I get.

I think I'm grandfathered in to 2 up 2 down. I think the minimum they offer now is 2 up/10 down when people are trying to be cheap and 10/50 is the standard new user service.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
Here's a different way to announce a new product — during your testimony in a federal court case.

That's how AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson did it on Thursday. He shared details about a new streaming service called AT&T Watch, which will be launched soon.

"Watch" will be a low-cost bundle of channels that is meant to support the cable business model and encourage mobile TV viewing.
"Watch" is the latest example of a so-called skinny cable bundle, which costs less than a traditional cable package because it includes fewer channels. Several companies have launched versions of this, including AT&T, which already has a product called DirecTV Now.

"Watch" will be different because it will not include any sports channels. This will enable AT&T to sell it for $15 a month, compared to $35 a month for DirecTV Now.

Stephenson brought it up on the stand in the context of AT&T's streaming businesses.

He testified that AT&T does not want to stop innovation in streaming services and brought up the new skinny bundle.

Spectators in the courtroom were surprised — and the announcement sent reporters scrambling. Even AT&T spokespeople present for the trial were unaware the announcement was coming.

Soon thereafter, a spokesman followed up and said "Watch" is expected to launch in the "next several weeks."

It will be "available to anyone regardless of who they get wireless or broadband service from," the spokesman said. "It's free for people with AT&T unlimited wireless service."

It turns out the company alluded to this concept in a pretrial brief.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

damn, my cable bill is rising again but they have me by the balls.

i pretty much only need my sports stations for CFB, NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL and I see no way of cutting the cord and being able to get my sports as needed.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
stessier

Post by stessier »

Xmann wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:55 am damn, my cable bill is rising again but they have me by the balls.

i pretty much only need my sports stations for CFB, NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL and I see no way of cutting the cord and being able to get my sports as needed.
Have you looked at something like Sling TV? I'm not sure exactly which stations you need to get everything, but that service has most of them and I think it's only $40/month for the sports package.

You're in market for all you teams, right? Because if not, everyone but the NFL has a streaming option to get your team.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I tried out Youtube TV this month to get my NHL playoffs fix. I have to say that the Youtube TV experience is really, truly, super-fantastically good. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to keep paying $40/month for TV, but it's nice to have the option of subbing for a month when needed.

A few highlights that put it ahead of traditional cable or other new-fangled stuff I've tried (like Sling):
-Watch anywhere, with a good interface for skipping forward/back in a controlled manner, good auto-bandwidth adjustment, etc. I was even able to watch NHL playoffs from the crappy Wifi on a plane this past weekend.
-Cloud DVR works well. No need to set recordings to go long for live events like with TiVo. YouTube magically figures out when to end the recording. DVRing something is a one-touch/click process--hit the + icon for a show and future episodes are added to your library. Also, they don't prevent you from skipping commercials on any channels, unlike Sling.
-Android app is fantastic (I mean, it should be as it's Youtube/Google). It's quick to launch, reliable, quick to switch between channels, supports video overlay while using your phone for other stuff, casting, etc.
Xmann wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:55 ami pretty much only need my sports stations for CFB, NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL and I see no way of cutting the cord and being able to get my sports as needed.
This is the catch, as always. AFAIK, Altitude TV is only available on Comcast. Youtube gets you ESPN/ESPN2/EPSNews/ESPNU/BTN/SEC/FS1/FS2/Golf/MLB Network/NBA TV/Olympic/Tennis channel but no Altitude TV.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Doesn't YouTube TV have a limit on the number of devices that can be streaming at any time? I thought it looked great other than that one thing. Or maybe is was some other thing.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

McNutt wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:21 pm Doesn't YouTube TV have a limit on the number of devices that can be streaming at any time? I thought it looked great other than that one thing. Or maybe is was some other thing.
Yes. You can share one paid sub with up to 6 'household' Google accounts, and 3 can be streaming at one time.

Are you suggesting that there's another, similar service that does *not* limit simultaneous streams? I had thought that 6 separate accounts and 3 simultaneous streams was pretty generous, actually.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Three is not a problem. I was thinking it was only one.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I just looked it up. No HGTV. That was the dealbreaker for my wife.

I think there was a service that had HGTV but it had really bad limits on streams.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

McNutt wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:35 pm I just looked it up. No HGTV. That was the dealbreaker for my wife.

I think there was a service that had HGTV but it had really bad limits on streams.
HGTV Anywhere
Never miss an episode of your favorite HGTV shows. Catch up on full episodes with any of these great services!

Watch HGTV With Amazon Fire TV
Watch HGTV With Apple TV
Watch HGTV With Roku
Watch HGTV With Chromecast
Streaming live requires the cable login, but if she's not tied to live viewing, the other options might be tenable.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I found a service in Denver called FreeTV and what they do is come out to your house and do essentially a consultation. They look at your cable bill and discuss with you what tv services you need and custom build a server for you and help you drastically reduce your bill....or so they say.

Anyhow, I gave them a call and what they told me is what I already knew, Altitude TV is only available through Xfinity and that's it.

They have me by the balls. Can't get my local NBA or NHL without Xfinity.

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
stessier

Post by stessier »

Well, there are ways. Perhaps a little murky ethically/morally/legally.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I do know those ways and tried it last year with mixed results

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I don't know what Xfinity package you currently have, but I've had better results haggling over contract pricing with them in person (at an Xfinity store) than I have over the phone.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Xmann wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:38 pmThey have me by the balls. Can't get my local NBA or NHL without Xfinity.
I had the same problem with DirecTV and NFL Sunday Ticket. They are my only legal means to get my out-of-market games. I finally said "No more", and kicked DirecTV to the curb, reducing my bill by about 70% by switching to Playstation Vue. I will have to live without seeing my team play on Sunday's. Although in my case that's probably an improvement.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
stessier

Post by stessier »

RunningMn9 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:12 pm
Xmann wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:38 pmThey have me by the balls. Can't get my local NBA or NHL without Xfinity.
I had the same problem with DirecTV and NFL Sunday Ticket. They are my only legal means to get my out-of-market games. I finally said "No more", and kicked DirecTV to the curb, reducing my bill by about 70% by switching to Playstation Vue. I will have to live without seeing my team play on Sunday's. Although in my case that's probably an improvement.
I'm out of market too and have found that going to a friendly sports bar is a good way to see the games and cheaper than Sunday Ticket. But I don't drink, so that probably seriously tilts the scale in my favor.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

the other issue is Xfinity charging me $50 just for internet access. I have no other option in my neighborhood but Xfinity.

so $50 for Xfinity, $40 for YouTube service (for example) and I'm already nearing $100 and my cable service is already $120.

I'm just not finding a compelling reason to cut the cord because it doesn't really make a huge difference to me.

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

We were paying $130 to Comcast for internet and phone, and another $90 to DirecTV every month, with a $300 charge for Sunday Ticket annually. Dropped the phone service (we have excellent cellular service here) which brought Comcast bill to $75 for internet (250Mbps service), and PSVue costs $45 per month.

So about $100 less per month, and no $300 Sunday ticket fee. Might just get GamePass for $99 and watch games after the fact.

Make up bags of change
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I gather that you have to have a internet ready tv or use your computer to get these alternative setups?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Xmann wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:38 pm the other issue is Xfinity charging me $50 just for internet access. I have no other option in my neighborhood but Xfinity.

so $50 for Xfinity, $40 for YouTube service (for example) and I'm already nearing $100 and my cable service is already $120.

I'm just not finding a compelling reason to cut the cord because it doesn't really make a huge difference to me.
I'm paying $90 for cable + internet (150mbps, would have been $20 more for 250mbps, but I figured it wasn't worth it).

If you were to ditch their cable and get an internet-based TV service, you'd probably end up going over their 1TB monthly bandwidth allotment and having to pay $50 extra for unlimited anyway. I can barely stay under the limit some months, and I don't even stream that much video.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:23 pm I gather that you have to have a internet ready tv or use your computer to get these alternative setups?
A $30 Fire Stick plugs into an HDMI port and can host apps for all of these other services, including Netflix, Sling, Hulu, and others. While I technically have an "internet ready TV", I never use any of the embedded apps.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:22 am
dbt1949 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:23 pm I gather that you have to have a internet ready tv or use your computer to get these alternative setups?
A $30 Fire Stick plugs into an HDMI port and can host apps for all of these other services, including Netflix, Sling, Hulu, and others. While I technically have an "internet ready TV", I never use any of the embedded apps.
There is also a Roku device for TVs without an HDMI port (and only old RCA connections). It's called the Roku Express+ and is only $35.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I actually have both a Chromecast AND a Roku II. It is mostly foolproof. But you can get almost the same functionality with the Android boxes nowadays. I've seen Chinese ones that can stream almost everything from China with no further setup (built-in proxy and all that).

The only reason to get cable now is for faster internet than DSL.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

stessier wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:27 am There is also a Roku device for TVs without an HDMI port (and only old RCA connections). It's called the Roku Express+ and is only $35.
I have one of those connected to the ancient CRT TV upstairs and it works pretty good. We only really use it for Netflix, but it performs admirably. It has the PS Vue app, but it crashes a lot. We have a TV in the basement with Roku software built in, and that works great. The main TV has an Apple TV connected to it that does all the heavy lifting.
Make up bags of change
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Venture Beat
Google is today expanding its premium YouTube TV streaming service to the majority of locations in the U.S., with the rest to follow shortly.
At launch, YouTube TV was available through mobile apps in five markets. In the nearly two years since its introduction, it has arrived on the big screen via apps for Android TV and Xbox, as well as Apple TV and Roku, and expanded to 100 U.S. markets, covering 85 percent of households. Now it’s landing in an additional 95 markets, which will extend this coverage to 98 percent of households. Other markets not yet covered will soon be added to the mix.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

tbd network is basically youtube/twitch in an 'over the air' broadcast format
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I've been using youtube.tv as my streaming service, and it seems pretty good.
its got the channels I want, like BBC America, ScyFy Cartoon Network. And it plays the football games.

I like the way it handles recording/DVR and on demand. From my point of view, there is no difference between a DVR show and an ondemand. I add a program to my library, and its there. new episode, old episode, last years episode, all in the same view. It doesn't have any problems with recording duplicate episodes like Direct TV did. there is no limit on number of shows or DVR storage space, its all ondemand in the cloud. but that also means that everything is streamed, if the internet is off, then no shows available at all.

its available in roku

On the downside, looking at the live TV schedule is a little more trouble than i like, the brose seems slow, and the schedule only knows the next day or so, its hard to look too far in the future.

I only watch tv on my tv, so I don't know how it handles streaming on a phone, or storing shows in a tablet for later viewing, or anything like that.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I got one of them amazon tv's with Roku built in, and its one of the best choices I have made in a while. easy squeezy to switch between the apps, and the playstation and such.

1 remote man, 1 remote. And is a super simple remote at that, none of that massive pile of buttons business.
if you don't like using the directional pad to type things in, its still compatible with the phone app.

only thing, I didn't get the one with voice remote. I have a roke with voice remote for the other tv, and thats really convenient when searching, but it only works on rokue itself, once I launch youtube.tv the voice doesn't work there for searching.

but my favorite part, is the aquarium screen saver, I have that on almost all the time.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaymon wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:11 pm I've been using youtube.tv as my streaming service, and it seems pretty good.
its got the channels I want, like BBC America, ScyFy Cartoon Network. And it plays the football games.
Does it have all of the broadcast network channels?
Black Lives Matter