Nintendo Switch = NX

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Skinypupy

Re: Nintendo Switch = NX

Post by Skinypupy »

Broke down and bought Skyrim to play on my flights this week. While playing it mobile is neat, the port has a couple of rather basic issues:

- The text is so small, I can barely read it. Doesn't seem to be any way to increase it.
- There's no gamma adjustment slider, and dark areas are really dark. As in, it's nearly impossible to see what you're doing. If I hadn't have already run a couple of the starter dungeons multiple times, I'd have been completely lost.
- The only way I've found to open the map is hit +, go to quests, highlight a specific quest, then hit Y to "Show on map". It's a pain in the ass, but maybe there's an alternate shortcut I'm missing.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Perhaps this will help for the darkness issue? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ7z7DPepH0
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Captain Caveman wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:41 pm Perhaps this will help for the darkness issue? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ7z7DPepH0
Was already on "Automatic", so that didn't help. Thanks though.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

IT'S SMASH!!! IT'S SMASH!!!!!

Forever answering the question, 'are there much bigger videogame nerds than OOers?'
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

That was awesome. Also smash remains one of my all time favorite series so this announcement is awesome as well.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I finally broke down and bought one of the Pro Controllers for my Switch last night. I was finding that my hands got a little cramped when playing with the JoyCon version.

I have to say that I'm incredibly impressed with it. The difference between it and the JoyCon mount is night and day, and it's a remarkably comfortable controller. It's a bit heavier than a PS4 controller, but feels just right. I had initially put off buying one because the $70 price tag annoyed me, but it's absolutely worth every penny.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:40 am I finally broke down and bought one of the Pro Controllers for my Switch last night. I was finding that my hands got a little cramped when playing with the JoyCon version.

I have to say that I'm incredibly impressed with it. The difference between it and the JoyCon mount is night and day, and it's a remarkably comfortable controller. It's a bit heavier than a PS4 controller, but feels just right. I had initially put off buying one because the $70 price tag annoyed me, but it's absolutely worth every penny.
I agree. I've had one since launch and I never use the joy cons unless i'm in portable mode.
FTE
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Unpatchable zero-day exploit
A newly published "exploit chain" for Nvidia Tegra X1-based systems seems to describe an apparently unpatchable method for running arbitrary code on all currently available Nintendo Switch consoles. Hardware hacker Katherine Temkin and the hacking team at ReSwitched released an extensive outline of what they're calling the Fusée Gelée coldboot vulnerability earlier today, alongside a proof-of-concept payload that can be used on the Switch.

"Fusée Gelée isn't a perfect, 'holy grail' exploit—though in some cases it can be pretty damned close," Temkin writes in an accompanying FAQ.

The exploit, as outlined, makes use of a vulnerability inherent in the Tegra X1's USB recovery mode, circumventing the lock-out operations that would usually protect the chip's crucial bootROM. By sending a bad "length" argument to an improperly coded USB control procedure at the right point, the user can force the system to "request up to 65,535 bytes per control request." That data easily overflows a crucial direct memory access (DMA) buffer in the bootROM, in turn allowing data to be copied into the protected application stack and giving the attacker the ability to run arbitrary code.

On the Switch, the hardest part of the exploit seems to be forcing the system into USB recovery mode. To do this without opening the system requires shorting out a certain pin on the right Joy-Con connector (the bit on the side of the system where the Joy-Con clicks into place). The hacking team at Fail0verflow tweeted a picture of a small plug-in device that can apparently provide this short-out easily, and the team joked that a simple piece of wire from the hardware store can do so today. Temkin also tweeted a picture suggesting that simply exposing and bending the pin in question would also work.
If the bad guy has physical access to your machine, it's no longer your machine.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:22 pm Unpatchable zero-day exploit
A newly published "exploit chain" for Nvidia Tegra X1-based systems seems to describe an apparently unpatchable method for running arbitrary code on all currently available Nintendo Switch consoles. Hardware hacker Katherine Temkin and the hacking team at ReSwitched released an extensive outline of what they're calling the Fusée Gelée coldboot vulnerability earlier today, alongside a proof-of-concept payload that can be used on the Switch.

"Fusée Gelée isn't a perfect, 'holy grail' exploit—though in some cases it can be pretty damned close," Temkin writes in an accompanying FAQ.

The exploit, as outlined, makes use of a vulnerability inherent in the Tegra X1's USB recovery mode, circumventing the lock-out operations that would usually protect the chip's crucial bootROM. By sending a bad "length" argument to an improperly coded USB control procedure at the right point, the user can force the system to "request up to 65,535 bytes per control request."
That data easily overflows a crucial direct memory access (DMA) buffer in the bootROM, in turn allowing data to be copied into the protected application stack and giving the attacker the ability to run arbitrary code.

On the Switch, the hardest part of the exploit seems to be forcing the system into USB recovery mode. To do this without opening the system requires shorting out a certain pin on the right Joy-Con connector (the bit on the side of the system where the Joy-Con clicks into place). The hacking team at Fail0verflow tweeted a picture of a small plug-in device that can apparently provide this short-out easily, and the team joked that a simple piece of wire from the hardware store can do so today. Temkin also tweeted a picture suggesting that simply exposing and bending the pin in question would also work.
If the bad guy has physical access to your machine, it's no longer your machine.
But if they need physical access to your Switch, that seems like a pretty ineffective hack for 99.9% of situations, right?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pretty much. I think the biggest issue is going to be jailbreaks and how Nintendo responds to them.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

So for some reason the urge to get a Switch is rising. Don’t know if it will pass but I’m curious what accessories do y’all think are useful? Oh and if I were to make such a purchase I’d probably get Mario Kart and Zelda to go with it. Perhaps Bayonetta 2 as well.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

As for games look into Octopath Traveler, too. Really promising looking Square Enix RPG that hits this Friday.

For accessories:
  • Pro Controller is more expensive than one would want but it's fantastic
  • a second pair of joy-cons is great to have in addition. If you can only get one or the other I'd go for the Pro Controller unless you want the joy cons for a less expensive route to 4-player mario kart
  • Hori Stand is great if you think you'll play in kickstand mode. Gives a better angle and allows for charging while in that config. I use this every time I'm on a plane with my Switch
  • tempered glass screen protector - crystal clear and gives you peace of mind as you slide it in and out of the dock
  • a second dock is another 'why is this so expensive' purchase but it's really really nice to have if you have more than one TV you want to use your Switch on
  • some kind of travel case is nice if you're planning to go portable with it like a Game Boy
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Oooh I love a good Square RPG. Will have to read up on it.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

wonderpug wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:44 pm As for games look into Octopath Traveler, too. Really promising looking Square Enix RPG that hits this Friday.
I have this pre-ordered and will be picking it up on Friday. Will give some feedback here once I’ve got a few hours in.

Y’s VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana is also available on Switch, and is one of my favorite JRPGs of this generation. They completely overhauled the rather sketchy English translation for the Switch release, and I’ve heard it’s excellent.

Haven’t played it yet, but Shining Resonance Refrain has been getting decent reviews as well. Battle Chasers Nightwar is a fun FF-style game with beautiful artwork, if you missed it in other systems. And, of course, there’s always Xenoblade Chronicles 2, an very well-done game that just overstayed it’s welcome with me.

Lots of options. :)
naednek

Post by naednek »

So Amazon has this bundle for $299. Problem none of the games are grabbing me. I think the problem is I've always viewed Nintendo products to be geared for kids.

I would be using my birthday money but part of me thinks the kids will get more enjoyment than me. What do you think? I have a few hours before the sale endsImage

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Buy it. The Switch is awesome.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Zaxxon wrote:Buy it. The Switch is awesome.
Any games to recommend?

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Breath of the Wild and Odyssey are must-haves. Mario Kart if you don't already have it on WiiU. Xenoblade is a very flawed but still impressive RPG.
Chrisoc13

Nintendo Switch = NX

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Games I've played on mine since getting it six months ago that I highly recommend-
- Zelda (one of my favorite games of all time)
- Mario Odyssey (I always enjoy Mario)
- Mario kart
- Skyrim (an oldie but a goodie and now handheld)
- stardew valley (I dumped hours into this)
- overcooked (my wife adores this game and I love the hectic fun)
- Donkey long tropical freeze (basically the Wii u version but still great fun and excellent cooperative)

On the fence about but looking good:
- Octopath traveler

Was not impressed with:
- Kirby star allies

Games I'm looking forward to:
- Super smash switch
- Let's go Pokemon game
- Full Pokemon game (name and release date not out yet)
- Mario party
- Sonic mania
- Overcooked 2

I've really enjoyed my switch. It gets a lot more play than I expected.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Captain Toad just hit, as well. I have only barely touched the demo, but it's supposed to be a Wii U gem that nobody played. Only $40 for the Switch edition, too.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I'm very much liking Octopath Traveller so far. It feels like a good old SNES era Square Enix RPG. Only con so far is that things are starting out as a slow side as you go around meeting the 8 characters and hearing their backstories.

If you haven't played Hollow Knight on Steam already, it's a fantastic Metroidvania style game that works great on the Switch.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

There are lots of good indies in the eShop, too. Celeste, CatQuest, etc.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Well i pulled the trigger 30 minutes before the sale ended, and went to bed. Last night and this morning I keep teetering with if I should cancel.

I did buy Mario Odyssey. We have overcooked2 on the ps4, and man that is chaotic.

I'll probably get zelda next.

Zelda, can you have multiple saves or profiles with their own saves?
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

I'm pretty sure for Zelda you get just one save per profile.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

We use a different profile for everyone in the house and it's pretty easy to manage.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Picked up case that came with a screen protector. Now I can bring it to work

naednek

Post by naednek »

Switch was delivered today. Didn't tell the kids. Wasn't expecting the screen to be that small. And had a chuckle on how many parts the package has.

Picked Odysee and it's pretty fun. Haven't tried to play on the screen and kinda feel the gestures are a little gimmicky.

The interface is very bland and simple and they could do a better job explaining how to use the parts and how to charge. It's in sleep mode now and hoping it charges as it's sleeping. I'm also assuming it's in that mode as there's no indication that it is other than me selecting it. A led light would be great. I mean you see the green when the dock is powered on. You think they could borrow from the PS4 and use different colors for different modes.

Anyways had a good time with it so far. Hoping the library gets better.

naednek

Post by naednek »

So my impressions have improved from my initial. I have downloaded some demos, but haven't had the chance to try them yet. Was hoping octopath had a demo, I thought I heard someone said they played a demo.

I'm impressed with the joy-cons. At first sight I was thinking man these are small and these would only fill Trump's hands, but they are surprisingly comfortable, haven't used it with the grip or attached to the screen because Odysee uses the gestures for some actions.

I have a $20 coupon to use at the estore and planning on picking up zelda or mario kart. My hope in the future is that they come out with some more serious games to compliment the kiddie type games.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

naednek wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:27 pm Was hoping octopath had a demo, I thought I heard someone said they played a demo.
It does. It took me a bit of searching to find but it's out there.
-mf
naednek

Post by naednek »

MonkeyFinger wrote:
naednek wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:27 pm Was hoping octopath had a demo, I thought I heard someone said they played a demo.
Amazingly enough, found it on their website. But as of this morning it wasn't on the estore when accessing it via the console. If go to the store via website it's front and center.

MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

naednek wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:34 pm
MonkeyFinger wrote:
Amazingly enough, found it on their website. But as of this morning it wasn't on the estore when accessing it via the console. If go to the store via website it's front and center.
It is on the estore but it seems you have to search for it - searching for "octopath" will bring up two entries, the game and the "Prologue Demo Version".
-mf
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

naednek wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:27 pm So my impressions have improved from my initial. I have downloaded some demos, but haven't had the chance to try them yet. Was hoping octopath had a demo, I thought I heard someone said they played a demo.

I'm impressed with the joy-cons. At first sight I was thinking man these are small and these would only fill Drumpf's hands, but they are surprisingly comfortable, haven't used it with the grip or attached to the screen because Odysee uses the gestures for some actions.

I have a $20 coupon to use at the estore and planning on picking up zelda or mario kart. My hope in the future is that they come out with some more serious games to compliment the kiddie type games.
Zelda and the Pro controller are both no brainers. Also, there are several non kiddie type games. Xenoblade Chronicles, Beyonetta 1+2, Skyrim, Doom, Wolfenstein 2 for starters.
FTE
naednek

Post by naednek »

Scraper wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:48 am
naednek wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:27 pm So my impressions have improved from my initial. I have downloaded some demos, but haven't had the chance to try them yet. Was hoping octopath had a demo, I thought I heard someone said they played a demo.

I'm impressed with the joy-cons. At first sight I was thinking man these are small and these would only fill Drumpf's hands, but they are surprisingly comfortable, haven't used it with the grip or attached to the screen because Odysee uses the gestures for some actions.

Zelda and the Pro controller are both no brainers. Also, there are several non kiddie type games. Xenoblade Chronicles, Beyonetta 1+2, Skyrim, Doom, Wolfenstein 2 for starters.
I should clairify non kiddie games that i dont' already have on other platforms :P

Picked up Zelda using my $20 egift card. So far pretty cool. wished the battery lasted longer.... Going to the hospital for Ethan today and I'll be surpised if I'll have a charge when i get back.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

naednek wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:18 am Picked up Zelda using my $20 egift card. So far pretty cool. wished the battery lasted longer.... Going to the hospital for Ethan today and I'll be surpised if I'll have a charge when i get back.

Code: Select all

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Single-Voltage-Charger-Nintendo-support/dp/B073PV6XQ1
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

naednek wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:18 am
Scraper wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:48 am

I should clairify non kiddie games that i dont' already have on other platforms :P
Yeah, good luck with that.

Outside of the main Nintendo franchises like Zelda and Mario (which I've never been a big fan of), there's very few games available that I haven't already played on another system. As a result, I use my Switch far less than I was expecting to.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

So, Dead Cells is pretty neat. I picked it up tonight after seeing positive buzz and a relatively low price. There went two hours...
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Really basic questions...I read through the website, but I know you guys will give me a the honest low-down.

Q: I can buy 1 twitch and an extra controller and that will allow the wife and I to play?

Q: Any must have add-ons?

Q: Any good cooking, trivia, family style games (she loved those)?
naednek

Post by naednek »

Q1: Yes. You don't even have to buy a controller as the joy cons can be turned into two seperate controllers.

q2: I picked up a case and screen protector for about $13

q3: I'm new to the scene, but I have played overcooked 2 on the ps4. It's a fun but hectic co-op game
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Citizen wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:28 pm Really basic questions...I read through the website, but I know you guys will give me a the honest low-down.

Q: I can buy 1 twitch and an extra controller and that will allow the wife and I to play?
Depends on what game you're looking to play. Some games require a full controller, others you can play with the detachable joy cons. I have a really hard time using a single joy con though...it just feels way too small.

I would also recommend looking into a Switch Pro Controller. I hesitated for a long time, but am glad I finally broke down and got one. It's a fantastic piece of hardware.
Q: Any must have add-ons?
You will absolutely want a screen protector. Getting it in and out of the dock will scratch it to hell if you don't have one.
Q: Any good cooking, trivia, family style games (she loved those)?
Although it didn't do much for me, lots of people loved Battle Chef Brigade. Sushi Striker also got really good reviews.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:18 pm You will absolutely want a screen protector. Getting it in and out of the dock will scratch it to hell if you don't have one.
Anecdotal counterpoint - I have a 9 and 12 year old and we've had the system since Christmas. Use it both handheld and in the dock - no protector and no scratches.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles