Re: Perpetual Photography Thread

Post by Sectoid »

Enlarge ImageDSC_2751 by David Elton, on Flickr
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
Enough

Post by Enough »

Wow, this thread had been dead for awhile. I just saw that Really Right Stuff is moving from CA to UT due to "cost." That sort of struck me as odd since Nevada is the promised land for exiled Cali companies usually, the Outdoor Expo recently left UT due to the state's recent unfriendly public land moves, and RRS relocated to an area in UT with very quickly growing real estate prices. In looking a bit more, I was saddened to see that Joseph Johnson, the owner of RRS, gave $16K to Proposition 8/hate in CA. I guess we now know why he picked UT and it's safe to say I'm done buying their overpriced but very nice pieces. Plenty of good choices to substitute.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Enough

Post by Enough »

Just in case anyone missed it, 500px has been sold to the Getty Images of China. :shock: :?

Strongly contemplating deleting my stuff there, I've been vacant recently anyways.

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

oh geez I didn't see that. I haven't taken anything in months. I just haven't done or gone anywhere worth taking pictures. I imagine that will ramp up a bit once it gets a bit warmer.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, haven't been taking much of anything lately either as the weather has been too cold for it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I saw that but don't really grok the implications.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I look forward to seeing your work on Chinese advertisements.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Hey y'all! Actually been kind of busy here.

Lots of architectural work.

Getting a little recognition for my B+W work

And working on a new abstract series with historic cars that have been selling a little bit.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Very nice. I haven't shot much lately, but I did finally get my eclipse composite hung. Here's a terrible picture of it.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Where did you go for the eclipse, Zaxxon?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:32 pm Where did you go for the eclipse, Zaxxon?
Glendo, WY. Lucked out and had perfectly clear skies.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I was in Oregon, and we had great skies as well :)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Enough

Post by Enough »

While on the subject of eclipses, here's my total lunar eclipse take from this past January:

Total Lunar Eclipse of January 31, 2018
by Michael Menefee, on Flickr

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Very nice! Sadly we didn't have the best weather at the time. Been pretty dismal as of late.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
KDH

Post by KDH »

... :coffee: ... Flickr acquired by professional photo hosting service SmugMug
SmugMug CEO promises that photography will be “a priority” for Flickr going forward

Flickr has been bought by professional photo hosting service SmugMug for an undisclosed price, according to a report from USA Today . The fate of Flickr has been up in the air as part of the ongoing decline of Yahoo, which was bought by Verizon last year $4.5 billion dollars and combined with AOL into Oath.

Yahoo itself had bought Flickr back in 2005 for $35 million, but never really seemed to know what to do with the service up until the end, even as it tried various redesigns and new services to revive Flickr, it never succeeded in mounting a comeback against more modern alternatives like Instagram. “Flickr has survived through thick-and-thin and is core to the entire fabric of the Internet,” SmugMug CEO Don MacAskill told USA Today.
SmugMug isn’t doing away with that legacy; the company intends to keep Flickr as a standalone community and give it more resources and attention than Oath did. But technology-wise, this acquisition might be a tall order for SmugMug, which isn’t nearly as big as the photo service it now owns.
Ain't nobody got time for that
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, that's interesting! I can only hope it means good news moving forward. I have no experience with smugmug, but from the sound of things, it sounds like a good home for it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Enough

Post by Enough »

I host my main photography site on SmugMug and have been very happy with the photographer-centric services, and so I am beyond stoked to hear this!

Enough

Post by Enough »

I have been diving into the archives for a book project at work. If you ever get to Dinosaur, be sure to check out the Gates of Ladore!

At the Gates of Ladore by Michael Menefee, on Flickr

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That is a georgeously underrated place. We visited it in 2013 and had a great time.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

This seems like an appropriate place for this story:

Wildlife Photographer of the Year image disqualified
It was the winner of the 2017 Animals in their Environment category.

Evidence was presented to the Museum by third parties that it is highly likely the animal in the awarded photograph is a taxidermy specimen.

After a thorough investigation, the Museum concluded that the available evidence points to this allegation being true. As a result, the Museum believes that the image breaches the competition rules, which state that 'entries must not deceive the viewer or attempt to misrepresent the reality of nature.'
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I haven't really used my camera in a good 4-5 months. Nothing has inspired me at all. It's really a bummer and I hope I can snap out of it. Heck we went into NYC and I barely took any pictures. I'm not a big urban photographer, but you would think I would find something to take pictures of. Eh...
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Enough

Post by Enough »

RE that Wildlife Photographer of the Year award, there are still significant numbers of photographers that believe it in authentic. See here.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

There is a lot the same and a lot different so dont know. But I dont see why if he did fake it why he did it. Was an amazing shot without it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Enough

Post by Enough »

Yeah, I am still thinking there's a solid chance he faked it and agreed it would still be an insane shot without.

I have finally found my missing post-processing motivation mojo and have been getting into my archives to get back to some projects. Here's one of my favorites so far in looking at my Chicago trip last summer:

Chicago River Sunset Cruising by Michael Menefee, on Flickr

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Conditions were pretty bad all winter, at least when it comes to Astronomy and Astrophotography. Hadn't been able to go out all winter to shoot anything, so naturally, I was a little rusty when the latest opportunity presented itself. Went out this past Friday with a friend who let me borrow a Rokinon 14mm 2.8. Despite the conditions not being the best, ie it was a little hazy, my pictures still came out looking great.

Last edited by Rumpy on Sat May 19, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Actually took some pictures. Nothing much, but I really like this simple shot in NYC.

Enlarge Image

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Rumpy you're an artist mate!

And Octavious that pic makes me feel like Im there hovering over the street itself.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Great pics all around.

I haven't had the camera out much lately. Closest I've come to something I'd consider a good photo is this shot of my new Model 3 after coming down the hills, with electric transmission towers watching over their little kid as it rests.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Daehawk wrote:Rumpy you're an artist mate!

And Octavious that pic makes me feel like Im there hovering over the street itself.
It's from the High Line in NYC that's why. I like that it's an unusual perspective.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 8:46 pm Rumpy you're an artist mate!
Hey thanks! I'm only getting better at it the more I get practice :D I'll make them bigger. I didn't realize how small they'd come out.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Been taking a lot more pictures as of late. Still messing with different edits of this, but I LOVE this picture. From the school talent show this morning. This girl got second place.

Enlarge Image

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

That's phenomenal.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Thanks I burned the background to make the picture pop more. I'm shocked at how sharp it came out. It was terrible conditions. That's with my 80-200. Really starting to love that lens.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I like this crop a bit better. Just seems more balanced.

ImageJAG_7794 by Jeff Garnett, on Flickr

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

This past weekend while camping on Lake Huron.

Enlarge Image
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looks like a planet shot out of a Star Wars movie.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Some action from a time trial event I shot last weekend.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Nice one thing that I really haven't gotten the hang of yet. Panning shots that is.

Enough

Post by Enough »

Very nice shots all, we are a diverse group!

geezer

Post by geezer »

Octavious wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:16 am Nice one thing that I really haven't gotten the hang of yet. Panning shots that is.
There are two main tricks - one camera setting, and one physical. On the camera, be sure to use continuous back button focus. On my Canon, I've reset the focus button from a half shutter press to the back AF-ON button. You just hold that down while you track your subject and fire away.

Physically, I track from the waist, not with my camera, so if I'm shooting an object moving left to right I'll start off with shoulders, head and camera all torqued up to the left, if that makes sense?

I usually try to shoot at around 1/160 or so, but down around 1/40 some cool stuff can be done as well. I'll post one of those shortly.
Last edited by geezer on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.