Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Trump's Full Court Press on healthcare

Post by Zaxxon »

Grifman wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:47 am
El Guapo wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:06 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:51 am
“I absolutely abhor what he did, and I would not have been there had I known what was happening,” Ratner said.
Have a feeling this is going to become a common refrain. It's no excuse though.
He's lived in Western Massachusetts for how long, and he didn't think about what would happen being photographed with Trump, especially on this?

I do feel bad for him, though. Possibly destroyed his life's work accidentally for a silly photo op.
This is an example of what is wrong today with our hyper partisanship. Do I agree with people who support Trump? No. But I don't think their lives and businesses should be destroyed because of it. There are millions of them and millions of those that support Clinton. Should we all be seeking the destruction of the other? What if the shoe was on the other foot? Should a liberal be destroyed because they support something/someone conservatives find anathema? Where does it end? We'll never be able to work together if this sort of hyper partisanship continues.
While I agree with the idea that partisanship should not be the end-all, it's important not to create a false equivalency here. In 2016-2017 America, one side may be partisan, but the other is dangerous and terrible. Folks who still support Trump today (and/or support the GOP machine working tirelessly to make the wealthiest a little wealthier at the expense of the vast bulk of the country) are--charitably speaking--people who should no longer be voting.

'The left' (or, more specifically, people who did not support a deranged narcissistic megalomaniac to be the leader of the free world) is not at all equivalent and should not be compared directly.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Grifman wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:47 am
El Guapo wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:06 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:51 am
“I absolutely abhor what he did, and I would not have been there had I known what was happening,” Ratner said.
Have a feeling this is going to become a common refrain. It's no excuse though.
He's lived in Western Massachusetts for how long, and he didn't think about what would happen being photographed with Trump, especially on this?

I do feel bad for him, though. Possibly destroyed his life's work accidentally for a silly photo op.
This is an example of what is wrong today with our hyper partisanship. Do I agree with people who support Trump? No. But I don't think their lives and businesses should be destroyed because of it. There are millions of them and millions of those that support Clinton. Should we all be seeking the destruction of the other? What if the shoe was on the other foot? Should a liberal be destroyed because they support something/someone conservatives find anathema? Where does it end? We'll never be able to work together if this sort of hyper partisanship continues.
I pretty much agree. It's ridiculous to destroy the guy's business over this, and way more deserving target's for people's time and energy.

That said, it was pretty dumb of him to be in that photo. In western Mass. appearing in a picture with Trump is maybe one step removed from being in a picture with Hitler.
Black Lives Matter.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:21 amIt's ridiculous to destroy the guy's business over this,
Um...no. It takes no effort whatsoever to display ones displeasure with a business by boycotting it. I have limited resources by which to fill my needs. The beneficiary of those resources, no matter how meager, is going to be a business that doesn't piss me off. And if I were one of this guy's former customers, I'd want him to know exactly why he lost me. If he goes out of business it's his own damn fault. You can't blame others for your own stupidity.
Black Lives Matter

Post by Default »

Showing up in the same room as Trump is getting to be equal to saying "hold my beer and watch this". Nothing good will come of it.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Trump ran for President so he can get people to stand by him and feed his ego. Agreeing to stand behind Trump for a photo op is aiding and abetting Trump's psychopathic behavior.

Other business people fled once they realized how toxic Trump would be to their brands. This owner didn't pay attention to the bill, and jumped at the photo opportunity. I have no doubt the business owner was misinformed and used by Trump. But his actions have consequences, business and non-business. I have no sympathy.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

On the first day of enrollment alone, Nov. 1, one source close to the process told The Hill that more than 200,000 people selected a plan for 2018, compared with about 100,000 last year. More than 1 million people visited healthcare.gov that day, compared to about 750,000 last year, the source said.
ObamaCare signups surge in early days to set new record
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Hulu wants me to subscribe. :snooty:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Agreeing to stand behind Trump for a photo op is aiding and abetting Trump's psychopathetic behavior.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Hill
A federal judge in Pennsylvania temporarily blocked the Trump administration's recent rules allowing moral and religious exceptions for ObamaCare's birth control requirement.

The injunction comes after state Attorney General Josh Shapiro filed a lawsuit against the administration, arguing the changes to the mandate undermine women's health.

Judge Wendy Beetlestone ruled that the state is "likely to suffer serious and irreparable harm in the absence of a preliminary injunction."
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Wow, enrollments for Obamacare on the federal exchange this year totaled 8.8 million, only 400k less than last year, even with the enrollment period cut in half and very little promotional spending. There were 4.1 million sign ups the last WEEK. This doesn’t include state rerun exchanges either. So much for failing Obamacare:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/21/news/ec ... index.html
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Grifman wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:07 pmeven with the enrollment period cut in half and very little promotional spending.
Some might even say that this administration even went out of their way to make enrollment more difficult. So yeah, pretty impressive.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Turns out that the mandate is still state law in MA...a relic of Romneycare. No freedom from healthcare for us. Enrollment might be down slightly due to confusion caused by Republicans, but our enrollment period still hasn't closed. "About 50,000 state residents are subject to a penalty every year because they don’t have health insurance, according to Connector officials. The maximum penalty for these people in Massachusetts is $1,152 per year."
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:21 pm Turns out that the mandate is still state law in MA...a relic of Romneycare. No freedom from healthcare for us. Enrollment might be down slightly due to confusion caused by Republicans, but our enrollment period still hasn't closed. "About 50,000 state residents are subject to a penalty every year because they don’t have health insurance, according to Connector officials. The maximum penalty for these people in Massachusetts is $1,152 per year."
Yeah, one upshot of just repealing the individual mandate is that blue states can just implement it at the state level, which would keep their exchanges working just fine. I think there's a reasonable chance that some red states might do the same (I would imagine that it would be easy enough to put it into a general tax bill as "health care free market incentivization USA #1 freedom surcharge"), since that would help keep premiums down in their states.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Feds set to allow states to impose work requirements on Medicaid enrollees. Yes, there will be exemptions but this adds a ton of bureaucracy to the system and will dissuade many of the most vulnerable recipients (opioid addicts, mentally ill, etc) from enrolling and getting care.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Can't let those lazy folks living the high life on welfare and medicaid continue to live their lives of luxury without us making it at least a little bit unpleasant for them.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It will drive recipients from the red States to blue ones for care, which is probably exactly what they want. Saw it here when Pence gutted Indiana Medicaid and Illinois took on a ton of Indiana patients.

Pretty much a "leave or die" proposition for many recipients..
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess Kentucky is the first state to enact the requirements. Good job Mitch.
Kentucky’s waiver, which was submitted for federal approval in 2016, requires able-bodied adult recipients to participate in at least 80 hours per month of “employment activities,” which include jobs training, education and community service.

It also requires most recipients to pay a premium based on income and locks out some people who miss a payment or fail to re-enroll for six months.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:09 pm I guess Kentucky is the first state to enact the requirements. Good job Mitch.
Kentucky’s waiver, which was submitted for federal approval in 2016, requires able-bodied adult recipients to participate in at least 80 hours per month of “employment activities,” which include jobs training, education and community service.

It also requires most recipients to pay a premium based on income and locks out some people who miss a payment or fail to re-enroll for six months.
I particularly liked this part.
The waiver is projected to reduce the number of people on Medicaid by nearly 86,000 within five years, saving more than $330 million in the process.
Reduce the number of people on medicaid by simply removing their healthcare. Easy Peasy.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I'm having a really difficult time right now. I try to believe that people simply have differences of opinion and that political philosophies try to make a positive outcome in different ways, but it seems like everything Republicans are doing is plain fucking evil. Take away healthcare from the poor and children? Check. Deny refugees asylum from chaos we started? Check. Do everything they can to keep minorities from voting? Check.

I'm really getting to the point of feeling that these assholes and those that support them can go die in a fire.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

gbasden wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:04 pm I'm really getting to the point of feeling that these assholes and those that support them can go die in a fire.
I even have some family members I'd gladly offer up as kindling.
Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

gbasden wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:04 pm I'm having a really difficult time right now. I try to believe that people simply have differences of opinion and that political philosophies try to make a positive outcome in different ways, but it seems like everything Republicans are doing is plain fucking evil. Take away healthcare from the poor and children? Check. Deny refugees asylum from chaos we started? Check. Do everything they can to keep minorities from voting? Check.

I'm really getting to the point of feeling that these assholes and those that support them can go die in a fire.
I reached that point a while ago. Around the time it became clear the Republicans would do everything in their power to prevent a duly elected President from leading the nation. Say around 8+ years ago.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Senate Republicans are blaming Medicaid for the opioid crisis. You have got to be fucking kidding me with this.
On Wednesday, the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, led by Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI), will hold a hearing focused on the impact of Medicaid on the opioid epidemic. Along with the hearing, Johnson also released a report and an op-ed that attempt to blame Medicaid — and the Medicaid expansion funded by the Affordable Care Act (“Obamacare”) — for at least part of the growth in drug overdose deaths over the past several years.

The basic argument: Medicaid, particularly through the Obamacare-funded expansion, gave patients greater access to opioid painkillers — by linking them to doctors who could prescribe the drugs and by paying for many of the pills. Patients then misused the opioids, shared the drugs with others, or sold them on the black market. That, the claim goes, fueled the current drug overdose crisis, which led to nearly 64,000 overdose deaths in 2016.
And what do the academics say:
Researchers, however, have put this supposed link through a more rigorous scientific analysis than the pundits and policymakers have — and they’ve concluded that there’s no good evidence to suggest that the Medicaid expansion led to higher drug overdose death rates.
I'm sure that will settle it then.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Well, this explains why the GOP has been trying to throw millions of people off of health insurance. They're just trying to save them from the doctors!
Black Lives Matter.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Well, see, where do you think all those poor people are getting the prescriptions that get them those opioids in the first place? If they just didn't go to the doctor, they wouldn't be addicted to painkillers! Easy!
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Two birds with one stone. That stone being a massive petrified bovine corpulite, of course, but it is a pretty good move.

Takes pressure off the call for action on the opiod epidemic, puts that pressure on the Dems for supposedly causing it, and makes Medicaid the villain.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Utah is trying to sign up for the Medicaid expansion:

Gov. Gary Herbert signed a measure Tuesday to give more than 70,000 needy Utahns access to government health coverage, ending years of failed attempts on Capitol Hill to expand Medicaid in the state.

But whether House Bill 472 ever takes effect still remains uncertain. Under President Obama’s signature Affordable Care Act (ACA), the Utah law needs approval by the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), which has sent mixed signals on whether it will fully sign off.

Even if CMS does approve HB472, it will likely be about a year — even on an aggressive schedule — before the state can begin enrolling people for coverage.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Why Trump's Health Department Quietly Scrubbed Important Breast Cancer Info from Its Website
The Trump administration’s Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) erased important information on breast cancer screenings and Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare) benefits related to breast cancer from its women’s health website with no warning, according to a report by the transparency watchdog organization Sunlight Foundation.

The Sunlight Foundation’s Web Integrity Project analysis found that “informational pages and factsheets about the disease, including symptoms, treatment, risk factors, and public no- or low-cost cancer screening programs have been entirely removed and are no longer found elsewhere on the [Office of Women’s Health] site.” That includes information about Obamacare’s requirement of no-cost breast cancer screenings for many women and cancer screening programs provided by public health agencies like the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Sunlight’s Web Integrity Project policy director Andrew Bergman said in a tweet that the “censorship sows real doubt” about the administration’s dedication to health care services that would particularly help women of color and those with low incomes. On its site, the Sunlight Foundation similarly noted that the “unexplained censorship” raises questions about the administration’s “commitment to public health.”
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The conservatives long ago abandoned compassion as a moderating factor or even as a veneer of cover for their selfish actions.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:52 am The conservatives long ago abandoned compassion as a moderating factor or even as a veneer of cover for their selfish actions.
And they never even pretended to care about women's health.

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:52 am The conservatives long ago abandoned compassion as a moderating factor or even as a veneer of cover for their selfish actions.
They care a *lot* about women's health, so long as there's a fetus involved.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

That quote I posted from Noam Chomsky recently haunts me. It really does seem to be the best way to describe where we're at, irrespective of my thoughts on unions (or Chomsky, in general). This "virtue of selfishness" really has become societal epidemic destroying everything about being a society in its path. From science, to medicine, to roads, to schools, to the police and fire. As we progress we should be expanding our symbiosis and in doing so (generally) expand our personal agendas. But short term power concentrates short term power and short term wealth concentrates short term wealth in hopes of being something I can't fathom.... again I don't know how to say it. It Noam just nails it.

https://www.ineteconomics.org/perspecti ... y-and-more
Well, there’s two points that are critical for the U.S. It’s the unions. That why you have to destroy the unions. You destroy solidarity. It’s same reason for the attack on public schools, the attack on social security. These are all based on the idea that somehow you care about others, the community, and so on, and that’s completely unacceptable in a culture where you want to try to concentrate wealth and power. You don’t want people to have anything to do except to try to gain whatever they can for themselves. In that case, they’ll be very weak, of course. It’s only when you organize together than you can confront private capital.
[/quote]
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:56 am
LawBeefaroni wrote:
They care a *lot* about women's health, so long as there's a fetus involved.
If the woman chooses not to "shut that whole thing down", she forfeits control of her reproductive thingies.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Slate
Scott Lloyd has devoted a significant chunk of his yearlong tenure in the federal government to a single crusade: attempting to prevent undocumented minors from terminating their unwanted pregnancies. Lloyd, the director of the Office of Refugee Resettlement, issued a new policy in March 2017 prohibiting all federally funded shelters from taking “any action that facilitates” abortion for unaccompanied minors without his “direction and approval.” At least five teenagers have since requested abortions; Lloyd has denied all five requests. The American Civil Liberties Union has sued successfully to protect these minors’ constitutional right to abortion access. In March, U.S. District Judge Tanya S. Chutkan blocked the ORR from interfering with any undocumented minors’ reproductive health care in any capacity. (The Justice Department plans to appeal.)

As part of this ongoing litigation, ACLU attorney Brigitte Amiri has deposed Lloyd several times. In the first deposition, taken in December, Lloyd admitted he had considered forcing a minor who had taken the first pill in a medication abortion to attempt an “abortion reversal,” which experts call “unproven and unethical.” During the most recent deposition, taken in February and filed with Chutkan on Wednesday, Lloyd acknowledged more alarming details of his quest to block abortion access—and revealed how little he cares about the well-being of the minors themselves. Here are the most disturbing takeaways.

1. Lloyd Forced Shelter Staff to Provide Minors With Anti-Abortion Propaganda

2. Lloyd Conflates His Religious Beliefs With Science

3. Lloyd Is Not Convinced That a Rape Survivor Told the Truth About Her Assault

4. Lloyd Believes He Knows What’s Best for Pregnant Minors

5. Lloyd Won’t Concede That He Has Imposed a Blanket Abortion Ban
For the time being, Lloyd and the ORR are legally obligated to let all undocumented minors obtain abortions if they so choose. But the fight is far from over. The Supreme Court is currently mulling a request by the Department of Justice to sanction Amiri and the ACLU for helping one minor terminate her pregnancy. (A court had already ruled that the ORR could not prevent her from getting the abortion.) It’s clear that Lloyd will not abandon his abortion ban until the DOJ has run out of options for appeal. But thanks to Amiri and her colleagues, the agency can no longer seriously argue that Lloyd’s policy is rooted in anything other than his personal, often fictitious, beliefs.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Time to up my donation to the ACLU again I see.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yup
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Hill
A federal judge in D.C. ruled Thursday that the Trump administration's cuts to the Teen Pregnancy Prevention Program were unlawful.

Last summer, the administration notified 81 organizations that their five-year grants through the program would end in 2018, rather than in 2020, prompting multiple lawsuits.

Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson ruled in one of those cases Thursday, ordering the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to accept and process applications of four grantees as if they had not been terminated.
Several other lawsuits are still playing out in court.
The administration abruptly cut the grants off last year, arguing that the programs were ineffective at curbing teenage pregnancy.

The program, created in 2010 under former President Obama, funds organizations working to reduce and prevent teen pregnancy, with a focus on reaching populations with the greatest need.

But it has long been criticized by conservatives for its focus on comprehensive sex education, which can include teaching about safe sex and abstinence.

HHS officials within the Trump administration have pushed for an emphasis on abstinence education for teens, instead.

HHS did not respond to a request for comment Thursday.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Who's being most effected by Drumpf's attempts to undermine the ACA?
Republicans

After years of decline, new data suggests that America’s uninsured rate is back on the rise.

The nonprofit Commonwealth Fund released new data Monday showing that the uninsured rate rose in the first few months of this year, rising from 12.7 percent at the end of 2016 to 15.5 percent in the first three months of 2018.
Some of those actions include sharply reducing funding for Obamacare’s outreach efforts (people who interact with some kind of enrollment assistance seem to have better chances of getting covered) and ending a key subsidy program that likely increased premiums for middle-income Obamacare enrollees.

But these Trump administration actions seem to be hurting the exact same people who put the president in office. One of the findings that surprised Collins was that the uninsured rate rose only for Republicans, not Democrats.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Maybe because Republican voters are poorer in general. Maybe because they are fierce individualists who don't need anyone to tell them that they need insurance but eventually push their medical expense on others via ER visits.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'm sure they'll all tell the ambulance to eff off, this was their choice, and they stand by it. Especially if their daughters are there freakin' out, watching their dad die.

Totally legit position to take.