Gun Politics

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: Gun Politics

Post by Holman »

It's been a few months since Parkland, but POTUS is finally stepping up and making a statement.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And that statement is “I’m on your side if I think it’s the most poplular one in the room”.
Covfefe!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Here's another beauty from that same speech:

"You had your water just pouring down on top of you, just kept coming and coming, he kept calling and calling, we need more money, money, money."

Enlarge Image
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Holman wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 5:05 pm

link
"Your Second Amendment rights are under siege, but they will never, ever be under siege as long as I'm your president," President Trump said during NRA speech.
Trump isn't the President of USA?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

he wishes he was still campaigning.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

"Your Second Amendment rights are under siege, but they will never, ever be under siege as long as I'm your president," President Trump said during NRA speech. "I will NEVER let this government quarter soldiers in your private residences without your approval!"
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

#RepealTheThird
It's almost as if people are the problem.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:04 am
Holman wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 5:05 pm

link
"Your Second Amendment rights are under siege, but they will never, ever be under siege as long as I'm your president," President Trump said during NRA speech.
Trump isn't the President of USA?
Maybe he's talking about his second term. :wink:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

That would require him making it intact through his first.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

em2nought wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 6:11 pm Maybe he's talking about his second term. :wink:
Nah... Pretty sure he's just a complete fool.

You can't have it both ways....

Under a Trump presidency: under siege
Under a Trump presidency: never, ever under siege

It's a hilarious quote really. Kinda sums up his total strategy and sincerity.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

From the "You Couldn't Make This Shit Up If You Tried" department, Oliver North (yes, that Oliver North) to become the next President of the NRA.
Oliver North, the Fox News contributor and central figure in the Iran-Contra scandal, will be the National Rifle Association's new president, the group announced Monday.

"Oliver North is, hands down, the absolute best choice to lead our NRA Board, to fully engage with our members, and to unflinchingly stand and fight for the great freedoms he has defended his entire life," NRA executive vice president and CEO Wayne LaPierre said in a statement on the pick.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Skinypupy wrote:From the "You Couldn't Make This Shit Up If You Tried" department, Oliver North (yes, that Oliver North) to become the next President of the NRA.
Oliver North, the Fox News contributor and central figure in the Iran-Contra scandal, will be the National Rifle Association's new president, the group announced Monday.

"Oliver North is, hands down, the absolute best choice to lead our NRA Board, to fully engage with our members, and to unflinchingly stand and fight for the great freedoms he has defended his entire life," NRA executive vice president and CEO Wayne LaPierre said in a statement on the pick.
Erm, nope never mind. I've got nothing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Does the NRA President do anything or is it a figurehead role filled by celebrities?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

yes
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Nothing says freedom like trying to buy Iran's good will with free weapons. Except maybe failing at it.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Awesome.

As I understand it he is an expert on not just weapons but on the laws that surround them as well.

:twisted:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

He certainly knows people who know things about the laws. All the best peoples.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 2:02 pm From the "You Couldn't Make This Shit Up If You Tried" department, Oliver North (yes, that Oliver North) to become the next President of the NRA.

Full speed ahead on the Culture Wars above all else. What else can you say about the guy who sold weapons to Iran...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Holman

Post by Holman »

Maybe he thinks it's the Nicaraguan Rifle Association?

(It's too obvious, so I'm just going to say it for him: "The NRA is the moral equal of our Founding Fathers!")
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

For those wondering what the first NJ gun report revealed:
More than three-quarters of the guns used in shootings and other crimes in the first three months of 2018 in New Jersey originated from sales outside the state, according to the first statewide report on firearms and gun-related crimes issued Tuesday.

For the second day in a row, Gov. Phil Murphy has publicized his efforts at gun control. It was just 32 days ago that he signed an executive order mandating the release online of statistics about guns used in crimes in regular report.

According to the first monthly report, 93 people were shot, 17 of them killed, in April alone. New Jersey has among the toughest gun-control laws in the nation.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I know in Chicago, tough gun laws are only obeyed by those who don't really need tough gun laws. Criminals don't bother and what's more, they know that unless they get picked up for actually shooting someone, they'll be out in a day or two.

So people who are most likely to shoot someone else don't bother with the laws. How do you stop that? Enforce the existing laws.

Incidentally, the guy who shot the ATF agent here a few days ago is...surprise...a street gang leader. Multiple felonies, gun charges, and known to police. His gang was the subject of the ATF investigation and if I got it right, the agent was changing a battery in a tracking device on one of their cars.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kent State
Kaitlin Bennett didn't like the rules that kept her from carrying a gun on campus.

So the day after she received her bachelor's degree in biology from Kent State University on Saturday - no longer bound by those rules - she put on a summery white dress, flung an AR-10 rifle over her back and posed for photos around campus.

She accessorized with her mortar board, decorated with a picture of a rifle and the words, "Come and Take It."
"Now that I graduated from Kent State - I can finally arm myself on campus," she tweeted. "I should have been able to do so as a student especially since 4 unarmed students were shot and killed by the government on this campus."
Kent State prohibits the possession, storage or use of a "deadly weapon" - which includes firearms - by students, faculty and staff, according to its policy on the Kent State website. But visitors may openly carry a gun on campus since it's considered public state property.
“Kent State University is a school in which the government shot four unarmed students 48 years ago,” she told the conservative news outlet that covers higher education.

“I believe not only that those four students would still be alive today had they had the right to carry on campus, but that students today would be much safer."
Universities that prohibit students from defending themselves but allow guests to do so "are in a sense saying that they don’t value the safety of their students,” she told Campus Reform. “Why are guests more important than the students who are paying thousands of dollars to attend the university?”
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

We all need kids who think they can change the world but they're all soooo annoying.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 3:02 pm Kent State
“I believe not only that those four students would still be alive today had they had the right to carry on campus, but that students today would be much safer."
Wow. So the conservative stance on Kent State now is that the only problem was the students couldn't start an armed insurrection by killing National Guard troops?

What happened there was an awful tragedy, but thinking the solution was for the students to shoot back is insanity.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Sounds like gun luv hype and demagoguery rather than a seriously held belief. That the mere RIGHT of those 4 students to carry would have prevented their deaths?

If she thinks 4 armed students could have taken on and survived shooting at the Natl Guard, then she has more problems than being on the wrong side of the gun debate.
Brian

Post by Brian »

How much worse would the body count have been if students had started firing back? I'm thinking the scale of tragedy would have numbered into the dozens instead of (the admittedly unacceptable and egregious) four students.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Brian wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 3:52 pm How much worse would the body count have been if students had started firing back? I'm thinking the scale of tragedy would have numbered into the dozens instead of (the admittedly unacceptable and egregious) four students.
This. So much of this.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Nice to get $100,000 a year retirement after botching your last job with spectacular cowardice, but let's blame the NRA instead. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/pa ... 9345d61b3f
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Brian wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 3:52 pm How much worse would the body count have been if students had started firing back? I'm thinking the scale of tragedy would have numbered into the dozens instead of (the admittedly unacceptable and egregious) four students.
I think it would have been higher.

3,000 protestors and 100 National Guardsmen were there. Approximately 70 shots were fired.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:23 pm

3,000 protestors and 100 National Guardsmen were there. Approximately 70 shots were fired.
The argument, and I'm not saying I agree with it, is that the National Guard never would have been deployed of students were armed. Its spurious at best but the point she is probably trying to make is that an armed citizenry pre-emptively discourages tyranny.

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

That argument is ludicrous.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:51 pm That argument is ludicrous.
It's usually immediately followed by "Nazi Germany took the guns, Stalin took the guns, genocidal Turkey took the guns.. " Something like that.

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Pyperkub wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:23 pm

The argument, and I'm not saying I agree with it, is that the National Guard never would have been deployed of students were armed. Its spurious at best but the point she is probably trying to make is that an armed citizenry pre-emptively discourages tyranny.
Waco pretty much disproves that.

gbasden

Post by gbasden »

em2nought wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:05 pm Nice to get $100,000 a year retirement after botching your last job with spectacular cowardice, but let's blame the NRA instead. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/pa ... 9345d61b3f
That's fucking horrible. It doesn't mean that the NRA is innocent as the two things aren't in any way linked, but that cowardly asshole doesn't deserve anything.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:19 pm
It's usually immediately followed by "Nazi Germany took the guns, Stalin took the guns, genocidal Turkey took the guns.. " Something like that.
Presumably they took the guns DURING their rounding up of dissidents, not during peace time in anticipation of the horrors to come. But I don't actually know, so I'll have to do some reading.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:44 am
Presumably they took the guns DURING their rounding up of dissidents, not during peace time in anticipation of the horrors to come. But I don't actually know, so I'll have to do some reading.
At least some of the time, the authoritarian-boogeymen-of-choice simply followed the NRA bumper sticker instructions and took the guns from their cold dead hands. For example, armed resistance didn't save the Warsaw Ghetto.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Max Peck wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 9:28 am
GreenGoo wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:44 am
At least some of the time, the authoritarian-boogeymen-of-choice simply followed the NRA bumper sticker instructions and took the guns from their cold dead hands. For example, armed resistance didn't save the Warsaw Ghetto.
It's better to die on your feet that die on your knees. Or something.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Oops already a thread for it