Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: Political Randomness

Post by malchior »

Moliere wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:27 pm I like that one of her jabs is about places like CNN not being about news. Almost every show on every news network is about entertainment, not delivering news. Seriously, why do they all insist on having panels of guests interrupt each other in order to deliver their 30 second sound bite?
Her joke about breaking news was amazing. That was something we make fun of at work. If it isn't missing planes it is "breaking news" (which it isn't nearly every time). They are terrible and fuck their autoplaying videos on every page as a random aside.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

FTFA:
The event, which attracted about 25 people, was fairly low key until Abdul Khadir Muhammad, a Mid-Atlantic representative for Farrakhan, spoke.
That's not a rally, its people jabbering on a random streetcorner.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

malchior wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:51 pm
Moliere wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:27 pm I like that one of her jabs is about places like CNN not being about news. Almost every show on every news network is about entertainment, not delivering news. Seriously, why do they all insist on having panels of guests interrupt each other in order to deliver their 30 second sound bite?
Her joke about breaking news was amazing. That was something we make fun of at work. If it isn't missing planes it is "breaking news" (which it isn't nearly every time). They are terrible and fuck their autoplaying videos on every page as a random aside.
CNN's website does more to make me hate CNN than anything Trump could say.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 4:43 pm
malchior wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:51 pm
CNN's website does more to make me hate CNN than anything Trump could say.
Oh, their panelist segments are a million times worse than anything on their website.
Black Lives Matter.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

El Guapo wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 5:03 pm Oh, their panelist segments are a million times worse than anything on their website.
For $100k I would happily sit on a panel and interrupt the other guests to explain why Trump is bad/good.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
malchior

Post by malchior »

So tonight #metoo looks to have taken down NY AG Schneiderman after four women accuse him of physical abuse.

Cuomo has ordered an investigation but has suggested that Schneiderman resign for the good of the office. Seems reasonable considering the stakes here.

Now to the even more random randomness. Schneiderman has figured prominently in the Louise Mensch narratives about how the NYAG will take down Trump. She is not taking this well.

Holman

Post by Holman »

Mensch is totally nuts or totally playing a game, so she can be forgotten.

Schneiderman's shame will probably seem like bad news for some partisans who've looked to him as heroic Trump opponent, but they'll have to get over it. It looks like Schneiderman did awful things, and he's out.

The investigation doesn't depend on him. It's justice, not politics, and justice isn't about personalities.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Holman wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:22 pm It's justice, not politics, and justice isn't about personalities.
Oh, how I wish I believed that.
malchior

Post by malchior »

And Schneiderman is gone - just resigned.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Is it just me, or are people really quick to rush to judgement, calling for his resignation within hours of the accusations coming out? I mean, calling for him to temporarily step aside, sure, but shouldn't they at least investigate the allegations before calling for his resignation?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

malchior wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:59 pm And Schneiderman is gone - just resigned.
If the allegations are true, then it's good he's gone.

Makes it all the more infuriating that the orange shitbag gets to keep his office and simply sit back and gloat while accused of similar things himself. :evil:
malchior

Post by malchior »

Defiant wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:03 pm Is it just me, or are people really quick to rush to judgement, calling for his resignation within hours of the accusations coming out? I mean, calling for him to temporarily step aside, sure, but shouldn't they at least investigate the allegations before calling for his resignation?
Normally I'd say yes - but the AG is too a bit too high up the chain for these types of allegations. He can't be an effective agent for the law with this sort of cloud hanging over him.

Edit: As an aside - I have been seeing this rush to judgement in several forums and it disturbs me a bit. For instance, there were a few incidents in the roller derby community recently. One was where a person made allegations of bullying/racism against a team they were once a member of. People were screaming about a lack of response (we are talking under 12 hours)...despite the team being accused largely consisting of folks in Australia and the public post about the allegations was made during the day in the United States. It was completely unreasonable to expect that people running a niche sport team to be ready to respond to accusations at any time of the day. And there were several other incidents of this type and with expectations of immediate response. It certainly feels like it is instant justice that some people want instead of actual justice. I don't see that as being the same here though.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think the frequency of these accusations makes it all the more vital that we observe due process and investigate as thoroughly as possible before destroying someone’s life. All it takes is one false claim to muddy the waters for anyone with a valid one.
He won. Period.
Pyperkub

Re: Re: Political Randomness

Post by Pyperkub »

Defiant wrote:Is it just me, or are people really quick to rush to judgement, calling for his resignation within hours of the accusations coming out? I mean, calling for him to temporarily step aside, sure, but shouldn't they at least investigate the allegations before calling for his resignation?
As with Roy Moore, the article seemed to have a lot of strongly vetted information.

Fighting it would also be u-g-l-y ugly - he said /she said (with multiple partners) about whether the violence in the bedroom was consensual.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Perhaps there truly is a Trump tweet for every occasion.

Weiner is gone, Spitzer is gone - next will be lightweight A.G. Eric Schneiderman. Is he a crook? Wait and see, worse than Spitzer or Weiner
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Moliere wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:26 pm Cynthia Nixon Is Gaining on Andrew Cuomo
For weeks now, New York politicos have been jazzed about former Sex and the City co-star Cynthia Nixon’s insurgent campaign for New York governor. The incumbent, Andrew Cuomo, has become a villain on the party’s left even as he reportedly draws up plans to join the throng of Democrats likely to run for the presidency in 2020. Nixon, speaking stridently on topics like wealth inequality and mass incarceration, has directed her pitch squarely at those disgruntled progressives. As the New York Times reported Tuesday, she’s gained 16 points worth of ground against Cuomo in the past month, although he still holds a healthy lead, 58 percent to 27. Cuomo’s approval rating has also slipped beneath 50 percent for the first time since 2015.

Cynthia Nixon ignites outrage for saying marijuana could be ‘form of reparations’ in black neighborhoods
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Poor choice of words, but her point is valid: Those who risked prosecution to provide a wanted service should get first crack at cashing in legally. Equating that with race is awkward and unnecessary, and "reparations" is a loaded word.
GreenGoo

Re: Re: Political Randomness

Post by GreenGoo »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:32 pm
Defiant wrote:Is it just me, or are people really quick to rush to judgement, calling for his resignation within hours of the accusations coming out? I mean, calling for him to temporarily step aside, sure, but shouldn't they at least investigate the allegations before calling for his resignation?
As with Roy Moore, the article seemed to have a lot of strongly vetted information.
This.

It's not an announcement that several women have accused him, it's an article detailing the abuse.

No one is calling for him to be hanged, or even arrested. Losing your job as the AG of NY? I think that's a reasonable outcome to the situation.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Rip wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:11 pm Perhaps there truly is a Trump tweet for every occasion.

Weiner is gone, Spitzer is gone - next will be lightweight A.G. Eric Schneiderman. Is he a crook? Wait and see, worse than Spitzer or Weiner
A broken clock and all that.

He probably had inside information because...he was an active participant when it happened. This is like Weinstein tweeting about Drumpf being guilty of assault. Sure, it might be true, but one scumbag calling out another scumbag doesn't redeem the first scumbag.

In this case, Drumpf is the first scumbag.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Hillary Clinton for NY AG? :ninja:
Holman

Post by Holman »

Defiant wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:03 pm Is it just me, or are people really quick to rush to judgement, calling for his resignation within hours of the accusations coming out? I mean, calling for him to temporarily step aside, sure, but shouldn't they at least investigate the allegations before calling for his resignation?
In retrospect, it's very possible that Schneiderman had already told him he was resigning when he made the tweet. The New Yorker's lawyers had probably provided Schneiderman with the article before it went public.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Check the date on that tweet.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Holman

Post by Holman »

Chaz wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:34 am Check the date on that tweet.
Defiant and I aren't talking about Trump. We're talking about Gov. Cuomo's statement last night. He called for Schneiderman to resign very soon after the news broke.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kistening to NPR while taking a shower it was all about DC. That kinda stuff will cause you to lose IQ.

1. Yesterday the first lady announces her platform of children. Today Trump says he will take 7 billion from childrens health care to help with his 1.3 trillion spending.

2. So important guy has 4 women come forward and accuse him of physical abuse. He says hey dont worry about that it doesn't affect my job ability.

3. Some pundit speaks about the Gov withdrawing aid to Iran with the sanctions. So you sanction someone then give them food medicine and money anyways Why bother?? "Hey buddy we're taking away that $100 bill to hurt you. But heres 100 $1 bills to help you"
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

malchior wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:11 pm So tonight #metoo looks to have taken down NY AG Schneiderman after four women accuse him of physical abuse.

Cuomo has ordered an investigation but has suggested that Schneiderman resign for the good of the office. Seems reasonable considering the stakes here.

Now to the even more random randomness. Schneiderman has figured prominently in the Louise Mensch narratives about how the NYAG will take down Trump. She is not taking this well.

*Mensch tweets removed*
She's gone even more off the deep end about Schneiderman this morning. Insisting that he's the reason why Donald Trump is under sealed indictment. That he decided to resign effective today rather than last night so he can do more work against Trump. That Cyrus Vance (DA in Manhattan) is a Russian stooge. Retweeted someone who said a WWIII proxy war is literally being played out in the courts. Claimed what Schneiderman is being accused of was all consensual (because that's what Schneiderman himself said). Called the whole thing a victory for Putin. She's even more unhinged than usual.

Icing on the cake:

Last edited by pr0ner on Tue May 08, 2018 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Holman wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 7:32 am
Defiant and I aren't talking about Trump. We're talking about Gov. Cuomo's statement last night. He called for Schneiderman to resign very soon after the news broke.
I think he was talking to GreenGoo about Rip's tweet?
Hodor.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I saw it.

Presumably the AG's transgressions happened over a number of years. It's not too far fetched that Drumpf, a denizen of NYC, had knowledge of the AG's closet skeletons back in 2013.

Or perhaps the tweets were about something else? Given Drumpf's pattern of behaviour, his tweet could have been referring to a complete fabrication that only existed in his head.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Rip wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:11 pm Perhaps there truly is a Trump tweet for every occasion.

Have you noticed no one defends someone on the like this when there is common belief there is problem when it comes to the left and yet all the right do is circle wagons when it's their guy and gloat that the collapse when it's not. You are beacon! Every time your light is shone, you warn us to stay away. You shine with most importance when there is fog, not to guide us the proper way but rather to serve caution against drowning in a wreckage on what is the inhospitable hidden rocks of destruction you consider a wonderful maritime home.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

And Eric Greitens is still governor of Missouri....
Hodor.
Rip

Post by Rip »

So what you are saying is you see me like a lighthouse of life?

:banana-linedance:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Rip wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:00 am So what you are saying is you see me like a lighthouse of life?

:banana-linedance:

That's exactly what I'm saying.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The light comes from a dumpster fire, so don't count on it for the long term.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zarathud wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:38 am The light comes from a dumpster fire, so don't count on it for the long term.

I dunno, it seems to shine brightest when the weather is at its worst.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Texas Tech:
A new program out of Texas Tech University helps "transitioning" men on their "vocal presentation" so that they can sound more feminine.

After working with professional speech pathologists, the transgender men should be able to leave the program with a pitch and vocal quality that better corresponds to their newly-selected gender. Speech therapists Angela Van Sickle and James Dembowski lead the program.
Though the class offers assistance to both spectrums of transgenders, mostly male-to-female students attend.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:19 pm Texas Tech:
A new program out of Texas Tech University helps "transitioning" men on their "vocal presentation" so that they can sound more feminine.

After working with professional speech pathologists, the transgender men should be able to leave the program with a pitch and vocal quality that better corresponds to their newly-selected gender. Speech therapists Angela Van Sickle and James Dembowski lead the program.
Though the class offers assistance to both spectrums of transgenders, mostly male-to-female students attend.
The fundamental flaw with that article is that transgender men would generally want to sound more masculine, not more feminine. If they're going to toss around cool buzz words, the author or editor should at least make the effort to learn what they mean.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Given other areas of the site, I doubt they're overly concerned with such things.

Wiki
The Daily Wire is an American conservative news and opinion website founded in 2015 by political commentator Ben Shapiro
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Ah, well then...
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Fox13 Memphis wrote:Teen stabbed with scissors after pulling student's dress up at Memphis school, police say
That's a weird way to say "Sexual assault victim uses self-defense to escape her attacker"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

According to the police report, a student pulled up a girl's dress inside of a classroom at Central High School. The victim then grabbed a pair of scissors. She tried multiple times to stab the student before she connected.
The male student told police that he was only playing and never exposed the victim, the police report said.

The male student was issued a juvenile summons for sexual battery. The female student was issued a juvenile summons for aggravated assault.
Proverbs 26:18-19