Iran

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Kraken

Re: Iran

Post by Kraken »

Moliere wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:16 am
Kraken wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:02 am NK gets fresh evidence of how unreliable treaties with the US are
:lol:

Because NK is reliable?
You can rely on Kim not to give up his nukes based on any deal with Trump (not that I thought there was much chance of that in the first place). Among all the bad names you can call Kim, stupid isn't one of them.

I honestly wonder if they will still go through the summit charade in light of today's news. Presumably each side believes it can still score points in world opinion for painting the other as the obstacle to peace...if that's the goal, I'd give Kim the edge based on sanity and experience.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Defiant wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:22 pm
Fireball wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:24 am But the fact that a deal that does address the most critical issue temporarily but doesn't address every issue is no reason to oppose it.
FTFY
Not really. There is no such thing as a permanent solution here. The only way to address it is to enter into a continuing series of temporary agreements, and you don't negotiate all of those at once. The goal was never to sign this one deal and then when it expired, walk away. It was to sign this deal, which was a solid deal, and then when it was working, use the goodwill from that to negotiate the next deal, and make it a bit better. Diplomacy acts over the course of decades, not months.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

This is Kraken's first possibility. By Rohani. Further isolation.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Translation: "In his speech today, Rohani suggested that #Iran could remain in the nuclear deal, despite a likely exit from Washington, "if Europe fulfills all our expectations under the agreement and we are get rid of Trump, otherwise we will get out of the deal. "
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

It didn't take long to get the email from the Treasury notifying us that the sanctions were snapping back into place.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Kraken wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:05 pm
Moliere wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:16 am
Kraken wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:02 am NK gets fresh evidence of how unreliable treaties with the US are
:lol:

Because NK is reliable?
You can rely on Kim not to give up his nukes based on any deal with Trump
We don't want him to give up his nukes, just limit their range to California. :mrgreen: :ninja:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I would say it's a Sophie's Choice when it came to states I'd hate to see blown up by Kim. But then I remember Florida and I realize things wouldn't be THAT bad.
Covfefe!
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Skinypupy wrote:Translation: "In his speech today, Rohani suggested that #Iran could remain in the nuclear deal, despite a likely exit from Washington, "if Europe fulfills all our expectations under the agreement and we are get rid of Trump, otherwise we will get out of the deal. "
Thank you and sorry for not providing it.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Enlarge Image

Look at those full sentences and that proper capitalization.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Yeah this is not good.

Inb4 "they have weapons of mass destruction but we can't provide proof they have those but we must invade anyway".
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

tjg_marantz wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 4:03 pm
Skinypupy wrote:Translation: "In his speech today, Rohani suggested that #Iran could remain in the nuclear deal, despite a likely exit from Washington, "if Europe fulfills all our expectations under the agreement and we are get rid of Trump, otherwise we will get out of the deal. "
Thank you and sorry for not providing it.
Yeah, I thought it just said "We surrender, and we apologize for doing so." :wink:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

And with those tweets, Obama has guaranteed Drumpf pulls the US out of the deal.

Drumpf is such a petty, stupid and easily manipulated man-child.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:57 pm And with those tweets, Obama has guaranteed Drumpf pulls the US out of the deal.

Drumpf is such a petty, stupid and easily manipulated man-child.
It's difficult to see how Obama's tweet and FB post influenced Trump's decision, given that he put them out more than an hour after Trump formally announced America's withdrawal from the JCPOA.
Diplomatic Reception Room

2:13 P.M. EDT

THE PRESIDENT: My fellow Americans: Today, I want to update the world on our efforts to prevent Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon.
Therefore, I am announcing today that the United States will withdraw from the Iran nuclear deal.
You're not wrong about Trump, though.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
malchior

Post by malchior »

Apparently the sanction regime spring back is going to cost Boeing $20B - yes with a B. #MAGA. Winning!

The upside was Boeing never put the order into their backlog so it won't have much of an accounting effect. I guess that is a positive.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:13 pm
It's difficult to see how Obama's tweet and FB post influenced Trump's decision, given that he put them out more than an hour after Trump formally announced America's withdrawal from the JCPOA.
Obviously Obama is on UTC time.

Plus, we have always known he could see into the future. He bought that upgrade with his slush money fund.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Obama had already helped him make the decision by dispatching his chamber boy Kerry to stick his nose in it.

It is said to have made the effort of those in the admin pushing for staying in the deal a total waste as that was all DJT needed to hear to toss aside any thoughts of staying in it.
A source inside the White House with knowledge of the decision process tells TheDC that the Iran deal was “done” when Trump found out about Kerry’s lobbying behind the scenes to keep the agreement in place. “Trump was headed that way but Kerry just took away any of the teeth of the detractors,” the source said on background. “[Kerry’s] bulls**t ultimately killed the deal.”

Another source inside the West Wing confirms to TheDC that there was a frantic last-minute lobbying effort to keep the deal in place and that the timing of the Kerry news was “ironic.” The source specifically blames Kerry’s meddling in the process as a key decision point in the calculus for pulling out of the deal.

“It was by no means the reason [Trump] decided to pull out, but it certainly influenced the final decision,” the source continued. “I mean, read the tweets.”
http://dailycaller.com/2018/05/08/white ... iran-deal/
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Rip wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:11 pm Obama had already helped him make the decision by dispatching his chamber boy Kerry to stick his nose in it.

It is said to have made the effort of those in the admin pushing for staying in the deal a total waste as that was all DJT needed to hear to toss aside any thoughts of staying in it.
Probably the plan all along. That way next time they get into the Casa Blanco they can send another airliner full of dinero to Iran AGAIN. :doh: Repete, por favor!
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Rip wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:11 pm Obama had already helped him make the decision by dispatching his chamber boy Kerry to stick his nose in it.

A source inside the White House with knowledge of the decision process tells TheDC that the Iran deal was “done” when Trump found out about Kerry’s lobbying behind the scenes to keep the agreement in place. “Trump was headed that way but Kerry just took away any of the teeth of the detractors,” the source said on background. “[Kerry’s] bulls**t ultimately killed the deal.”

Another source inside the West Wing confirms to TheDC that there was a frantic last-minute lobbying effort to keep the deal in place and that the timing of the Kerry news was “ironic.” The source specifically blames Kerry’s meddling in the process as a key decision point in the calculus for pulling out of the deal.

“It was by no means the reason [Trump] decided to pull out, but it certainly influenced the final decision,” the source continued. “I mean, read the tweets.”
http://dailycaller.com/2018/05/08/white ... iran-deal/
Oh cool, Rip is back to believing anonymous White House sources again. I thought those were all just FAKE NEWS, but they're apparently all legit now.

I’m sure that’ll come in super handy when sourcing future discussions.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Rip

Post by Rip »

I didn't need an article to believe it. Like he said look at the tweets. I believed he was making it an easy choice for Trump from the first moment I heard he was out there violating the Logan Act.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Rip wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:11 pm Obama had already helped him make the decision by dispatching his chamber boy Kerry to stick his nose in it being the president who signed the deal.
FTFY

The only reason Trump needs to destroy any piece of American policy is his belief that Obama was for it. If there is one unifying theme to the Trump agenda (aside from kowtowing to Putin), it is his obsession with dismantling anything that Obama accomplished.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Holman

Post by Holman »

Rip wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 12:39 am I didn't need an article to believe it. Like he said look at the tweets. I believed he was making it an easy choice for Trump from the first moment I heard he was out there violating the Logan Act.
So Trump made the decision about an international treaty with decades-long repercussions based on liking or not liking what a political opponent did or didn't do?

That is some top-quality presidenting right there. The Deciderest.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Holman wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 6:28 am
Rip wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 12:39 am I didn't need an article to believe it. Like he said look at the tweets. I believed he was making it an easy choice for Trump from the first moment I heard he was out there violating the Logan Act.
So Trump made the decision about an international treaty with decades-long repercussions based on liking or not liking what a political opponent did or didn't do?

That is some top-quality presidenting right there. The Deciderest.
I'm sure Trump has a detailed understanding of the deal, and has a plan in place to replace it with something better. Like, I'm totally positive.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

This is the result Netanyahu is praying for.
Not just Netanyahu:
Saudi Arabia and its Gulf allies basked in what they saw as a political victory over Iran, their rival for regional influence, after Washington withdrew from the international nuclear accord with Tehran.
Gulf Arab allies tout triumph over Iran after U.S. quits Iran deal
Holman

Post by Holman »

Oliver North: @realDonaldTrump Should Sanction Iran and Anybody Who Does Business With Them
Satire is dead.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Defiant wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:27 am
This is the result Netanyahu is praying for.
Not just Netanyahu:
Saudi Arabia and its Gulf allies basked in what they saw as a political victory over Iran, their rival for regional influence, after Washington withdrew from the international nuclear accord with Tehran.
Gulf Arab allies tout triumph over Iran after U.S. quits Iran deal
There’s very little daylight between Netanyahu and the Saudis on regional political matters.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Things appear to be escalating quickly.

Syria, Iran and Israel
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Schumer wrote:
Trump wrote:Senator Cryin’ Chuck Schumer fought hard against the Bad Iran Deal, even going at it with President Obama, & then Voted AGAINST it! Now he says I should not have terminated the deal - but he doesn’t really believe that! Same with Comey. Thought he was terrible until I fired him!
#BeBest
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Things appear to be escalating quickly.
It's been escalating for a while, though, ever since the armed Iranian drone was intercepted by the Israelis several months ago.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I really wish there were real repercussions for those who continue to perpetrate the myth that Obama "gave" the Iranians a boat load of cash. Every time I read a twitter thread on it some idiot brings it up as a reason why the deal is bad without knowing anything about the deal other than that lie the right wing continues to sell to their base.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Remus West wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:06 pm I really wish there were real repercussions for those who continue to perpetrate the myth that Obama "gave" the Iranians a boat load of cash. Every time I read a twitter thread on it some idiot brings it up as a reason why the deal is bad without knowing anything about the deal other than that lie the right wing continues to sell to their base.
Public flogging. It's the only way.
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Defiant wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:47 am

Schumer wrote:
Trump wrote:Senator Cryin’ Chuck Schumer fought hard against the Bad Iran Deal, even going at it with President Obama, & then Voted AGAINST it! Now he says I should not have terminated the deal - but he doesn’t really believe that! Same with Comey. Thought he was terrible until I fired him!
#BeBest
Help me out here. What's BeBest mean, and how is it reply to Trump?
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Unagi wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:00 pm
Defiant wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:47 am

Schumer wrote:
#BeBest
Help me out here. What's BeBest mean, and how is it reply to Trump?
That's the anti-bullying hashtag that his wife just announced the other day.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Unagi wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:00 pmHelp me out here. What's BeBest mean, and how is it reply to Trump?
It's the tagline for Melania's anti-bullying campaign. The fact that he also tinted it orange is fantastic.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

BAM!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

#BeBest
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:03 pmThat's the anti-bullying hashtag that his wife just announced the other day.
I just looked it up. :oops:
Thank you though.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

@yeh1a, 11 May 2018 08:13:15 UTC wrote:Iranian FM Zarif to meet Chinese FM on Sunday, Russian FM on Monday and EU officials on Tuesday
@yeh1a, 8 May 2018 18:46:46 UTC wrote:Iranian president Rouhani: "Iran will be conferring with the world's two super powers, Russia and China"
I guess we'll have to wait until Wednesday to find out whether Trump has succeeded in further isolating Iran or America.

His reality TV show has the best cliffhanger episodes! :pop:

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said Tuesday the nuclear deal with Iran could not be preserved without some concessions from Tehran, Reuters reported, citing the Interfax news agency.

However, Ryabkov added that Moscow did not believe the accord could be amended to include limits on Iran’s actions in the Middle East or its ballistic missile program, as has been demanded by US President Donald Trump.
link
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

In contravention of UN Security Council resolution, Turkey said to have sold electronic capacitors to Iran that may be used in its nuclear program; equipment made by Jerusalem-based Israeli company that made sale to Turkey unawares; UN opens investigation, asks Israel to do same; manufacturer: 'If shipment found its way to Iran, Turkish buyer misled us.'
Turkey allegedly bought Israeli electronics, sold it to Iran
Defiant

Post by Defiant »