Flat Earthers

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

McNutt

Flat Earthers

Post by McNutt »

I believe 99% of the people claiming to be flat Earthers are pulling our legs. However, there has to be a group that really feels this way. I've heard nonsensical explanations for various round-Earth related things, but I've never heard them explain why there is no edge to the Earth. What is their perception of the edge of the planet? Can we not approach it for some reason?
stessier

Re: Flat Earthers

Post by stessier »

Good timing. Not an answer, but some interesting reading from Ars.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

McNutt wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 12:46 pm I believe 99% of the people claiming to be flat Earthers are pulling our legs. However, there has to be a group that really feels this way. I've heard nonsensical explanations for various round-Earth related things, but I've never heard them explain why there is no edge to the Earth. What is their perception of the edge of the planet? Can we not approach it for some reason?
If the earth was a large flat 'record' shaped disk... and we lived on that - and Gravity was still a thing... reaching the edge of the planet earth would be very hard to do. People living at the center of the disk would feel locked in the center, and if you ever tried to migrate to the edges, the pull of gravity would grow and grow and you would eventually slip back toward the center of the disk.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Unagi wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 12:56 pm If the earth was a large flat 'record' shaped disk... and we lived on that - and Gravity was still a thing... reaching the edge of the planet earth would very hard to do. People living at the center of the disk would feel locked in the center, and if you ever tried to migrate to the edges, the pull of gravity would grow and grow and you would eventually slip back toward the center of the disk.
Is this a real belief they hold? Why would they believe that when they have never experienced that? I understand some people might say the Earth is flat because that's what their senses tell them, but this? They are saying we're limited by centripetal forces that even they can't feel?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Oh no, I wasn't saying they believed it... I'm just (jokingly) pointing out something they don't experience and so should help them understand the folly in their ways.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

What do the people on the inside of the Earth's crust think of this whole thing?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Flat Earthers are a greatly exaggerated phenomenon that's being used as click bait. Their big world-wide convention had about 400 attendees.

The Marine Aquarium Conference of North America hosts about 4000 and I'm pretty sure nobody here has heard of that, even though it's a pretty awesome conference.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

McNutt wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 12:46 pm What is their perception of the edge of the planet? Can we not approach it for some reason?
One theory I've heard a number of times is they believe there's some branch of the government tasked with keeping people away from the edge which is why no one has pictures.
Rip

Post by Rip »

There are more Pastafarians than Flat-earthers.

Just sayin.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I got a kick out of their Pac-Man model -- when one reaches one edge of the disk, one teleports to the opposite edge. :lol:

I'm sure such ideas are presented tongue-in-cheek, but there's always going to be a small cadre of true believers.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Rip wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 1:19 pm There are more Pastafarians than Flat-earthers.
I have been touched by his noodly appendage. Have you? Would you like some literature? Google Image search "pastafarian dmv". :lol:

Enlarge Image
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

If I were a Flat Earther I'd say Antarctica was the edge (and would be wide enough that the centripidal force problem wouldn't be an issue). And of course, anyone who has said they have been to the South Pole is lying.

Since I'm a Lozenge Earther I know this isn't true.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I asked this in my interviewer training at work.

is Flat Earther a protected class? Can I ask somebody if they are a flat earther, and then deny them employment based on that?
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

I just want to know who exactly is supposed to benefit from this vast conspiracy. The Globemakers Guild?
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Yeah, that's another thing I can't get around. Why would there be a conspiracy that would cost trillions of dollars to perpetuate? What's the point? Is it Andy Kaufman?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaymon wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 2:43 pm I asked this in my interviewer training at work.

is Flat Earther a protected class? Can I ask somebody if they are a flat earther, and then deny them employment based on that?
What was the answer? Seems like a good way to weed out dumbasses if you ask me.
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

Kraken wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 1:21 pm I got a kick out of their Pac-Man model -- when one reaches one edge of the disk, one teleports to the opposite edge. :lol:

I'm sure such ideas are presented tongue-in-cheek, but there's always going to be a small cadre of true believers.
That may be true. I've been to the north pole and no matter which way I tried to walk I always ended up walking south. I must have been getting teleported and didn't even know it.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

My maternal grandfather didn't believe the earth was round. He didn't think it was flat, though, he thought it was more shaped like a clod of dirt. I remember having a conversation with him, and he said that yeah, he's seen pictures of the earth from space, and he didn't think that people were lying to him about the earth being a globe, but that in his heart of hearts he just couldn't understand how it could be a globe and we didn't all just slide off of it.

(He was a farmer that was born in like 1907, and only went to school until about 6th grade when he needed to start working the farm for his family and so never went any further. But he was brilliant with farm machinery and engineering...he had like a dozen patents on farm machinery to his name when he died.)
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

noxiousdog wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 1:16 pm The Marine Aquarium Conference of North America hosts about 4000 and I'm pretty sure nobody here has heard of that, even though it's a pretty awesome conference.
If I go to that, can I meet you?
Last edited by Unagi on Mon May 07, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Archinerd wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 1:29 pm If I were a Flat Earther I'd say Antarctica was the edge (and would be wide enough that the centripidal force problem wouldn't be an issue). And of course, anyone who has said they have been to the South Pole is lying.

Since I'm a Lozenge Earther I know this isn't true.
Why aren't we all forced to the North Pole?

:wink:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Fretmute wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 3:02 pm I just want to know who exactly is supposed to benefit from this vast conspiracy. The Globemakers Guild?
3Deep
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Unagi wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 12:56 pm
McNutt wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 12:46 pm I believe 99% of the people claiming to be flat Earthers are pulling our legs. However, there has to be a group that really feels this way. I've heard nonsensical explanations for various round-Earth related things, but I've never heard them explain why there is no edge to the Earth. What is their perception of the edge of the planet? Can we not approach it for some reason?
If the earth was a large flat 'record' shaped disk... and we lived on that - and Gravity was still a thing... reaching the edge of the planet earth would be very hard to do. People living at the center of the disk would feel locked in the center, and if you ever tried to migrate to the edges, the pull of gravity would grow and grow and you would eventually slip back toward the center of the disk.
OH MY GOD! You just made me realize that the center of the earth is on my bed!
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

seriously, right?

flat-earthers are just exhausted!
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Unagi wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 7:02 pm
noxiousdog wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 1:16 pm The Marine Aquarium Conference of North America hosts about 4000 and I'm pretty sure nobody here has heard of that, even though it's a pretty awesome conference.
If I go to that, can I meet you?
I won't be going this year, but if I had been in the vicinity the answer would be yes. If you're in Vegas, I'll be there in a couple weeks. (26th-29th)
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Rip

Post by Rip »

I don't get the fascination.

If you've seen one marine you've seen them all.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Fretmute wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 3:02 pm I just want to know who exactly is supposed to benefit from this vast conspiracy. The Globemakers Guild?
and now you know too much....
For the record, the Globemakers Guild are the second most vicious guild in the universe.. Right behind the infamous Lollipop Guild.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Interesting topic.

I have an uncle that lives in rural SC, who I believe has gone through every conspiracy, pyramid scheme and world-ending forecast out there, ever since I can remember.

Many years ago (late 80's early 90's?), when I was a much more impressionable and much less cynical lad, he laid into me with a book about how the end times were coming on X date (like 2 or 3 years from when he told me about it), which I read.

The author and book indicated that the Rapture/Tribulation would occur not during a broad time frame, but a specific date, like 'September 23, 1991'. Some so-called religious expert had culled this particular date based on a more thorough reading of the Bible than anyone else. So my uncle was fanatical about this. So fanatical (he is also quite charismatic, and very funny) in fact, that he had me almost believing it. At least enough to where I was slightly worried. So I read the book, it scared the bejeesus out of me, and of course, that specific date came and went.

Fast forward to today. He's about 75 now, and in poor health. I stopped by his house a couple of weeks ago and sat down to chat since it had been a while. Someone in the family had already warned me he was into "flat earth" and not to broach the subject in any way unless you wanted to sit with him for a couple hours.

Anyway, this visit just so happened to occur right after I finished reading Tyson's latest book on astrophysics, a topic that fascinates me.

So I troll him a bit, asking around the edges of the flat earth theory, then he looks at me and says "you really need to watch these Youtube videos on it. They go into the detail that I can't, that will convince you." We spar a little bit, with me using some of my newfound book knowledge, and he using his Youtube video knowledge. He had a (silly) answer for EVERYthing I threw at him (I think there must be a video out there somewhere titled "how to counter tough, round-earther questions"

Finally I couldn't take anymore and had to leave. But I had to know (and ask). "WHY?! What is the agenda of the round earther scientists? To what end do they perpetuate such a dastardly lie?" (I asked pretty much like that)

Answer: "To disprove the existence of God"

And finally it kind of all made sense. Every viable, scientifically proven, OBVIOUS fact regarding the issue, is met with "The Bible says so". And thus endeth the (meaningful) conversation and debate.

I'm sure if I had the stomach to prod further, I might have discovered that my uncle believed that scientists and astrophysicists in particular, were under the influence of Satan, and that this was all somehow related to the second coming of Christ, etc.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Tue May 08, 2018 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I took a long plane flight once and I distinctly remember seeing the ocean flowing off the edge of the earth.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I have a cousin who is a huge conspiracy theory nut. I thought it would be interesting to hear his take on certain things. Unfortunately the only things he talked about were conspiracy theories involving little-known events in the late 18th century, or as I like to call them, things I've never heard of.

Those are the most dangerous conspiracy theories because the listener can't argue against them. I just had to nod and then walk away as it became painful to listen to them. If he had broken out flat Earth or moon landing conspiracy theories, I might have been able to enjoy the conversation. But when he says "Did you know that in 1862 Abraham Lincoln signed an act that limited the number of times non-landowners could run for office in an attempt to curry favor with the coal industry" I really have nothing to say on the matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:21 am Every viable, scientifically proven, OBVIOUS fact regarding the issue, is met with "The Bible says so". And thus endeth the (meaningful) conversation and debate.
Does the Bible even actually say that the earth is flat?
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Answers in Genesis has a detailed investigation.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Always wondered why the bible never spoke of dinosaurs.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

One thing that puzzles me is that on any clear day, by a large enough body of water, you can see the curvature of the earth if you look to the horizon, especially if there are boats coming and going. You don’t even need instrumentation.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enlarge Image
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
stessier

Post by stessier »

Lordnine wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:04 pm One thing that puzzles me is that on any clear day, by a large enough body of water, you can see the curvature of the earth if you look to the horizon, especially if there are boats coming and going. You don’t even need instrumentation.
They argue that the vessels shrink as a result of perspective and as they get smaller they are hidden by the waves. They say if you get strong binoculars, you can still see the full ship at any distance.

Arguments to the contrary are met with "I know what I've seen."

As for water falling off the flat earth, the most widely held belief (like half of the 400) is that there is a giant ice wall around the outer edge. This has been named Antarctica by explorers. No one who has even gone past the wall has returned.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

stessier wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:15 pm
Lordnine wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:04 pm One thing that puzzles me is that on any clear day, by a large enough body of water, you can see the curvature of the earth if you look to the horizon, especially if there are boats coming and going. You don’t even need instrumentation.
They argue that the vessels shrink as a result of perspective and as they get smaller they are hidden by the waves. They say if you get strong binoculars, you can still see the full ship at any distance.

It’s not just seeing the boat; it’s the fact that you will see the sails before the wood of the boat. Simple experiment, put a tiny toy boat on a globe or any large ball. Hold the top of the globe level with the eye. Drive the boat from one side to the top. Did you see the sail before the bottom of the boat? Now see if the same thing happens with a boat on the ocean.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Lordnine wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:24 pm
stessier wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:15 pm

It’s not just seeing the boat; it’s the fact that you will see the sails before the wood of the boat. Simple experiment, put a tiny toy boat on a globe or any large ball. Hold the top of the globe level with the eye. Drive the boat from one side to the top. Did you see the sail before the bottom of the boat? Now see if the same thing happens with a boat on the ocean.
Oh, I understand completely. I'm on your side. They claim a different experience on the actual ocean with their own eyes.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:44 am Answers in Genesis has a detailed investigation.
is that a yes or a no :P
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"