Flat Earthers

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Moliere

Re: Flat Earthers

Post by Moliere »

The same is true driving towards a city with skyscrapers. The entire building doesn't pop into view as you get closer. The problem with this thread is that the topic is not even worth arguing about. Take a compass on commercial flights heading west. Eventually you will end up back where you started.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

So the International Brotherhood of Compass Makers is part of the conspiracy too?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I wouldn't trust them. But good luck getting this on the plane:

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Or watch a eclipse where the Earth's curved shadow is on the moon.
Last edited by Daehawk on Tue May 08, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stessier

Post by stessier »

Moliere wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:29 pm The same is true driving towards a city with skyscrapers. The entire building doesn't pop into view as you get closer. The problem with this thread is that the topic is not even worth arguing about. Take a compass on commercial flights heading west. Eventually you will end up back where you started.
They claim the earth is a ring magnet where the inner ring (north pole) is one pole and the outer ring (Antarctica/Ice Wall) is the other pole. So you can travel west and go in a circle.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

naednek wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:29 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:44 am Answers in Genesis has a detailed investigation.
is that a yes or a no :P
The short answer is that people think it does due to issues with word choice and translations, but there's nothing clear cut that says it is.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Keep an eye out for conspiracies about the ocean being bottomless.

Step 1: Ponder why that's not a conspiracy yet, since most people have never been to the sea floor

Step 2: Make a joke subreddit discussing the newly invented conspiracy

Step 3: Oh god, probably people starting to believe it.

Alternate step 3: people who already did believe it find a new home and reinforce each other's beliefs. From what I've heard, that's exactly what happened with the Donald Trump subreddit.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

stessier wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:15 pm
As for water falling off the flat earth, the most widely held belief (like half of the 400) is that there is a giant ice wall around the outer edge. This has been named Antarctica by explorers. No one who has even gone past the wall has returned.
Ages ago, I created a D&D campaign that was set on a cylindrical world (which, had it been explored, would have revealed itself to be a ginormous spaceship with terrain on the other side of the paper, too, but it was mostly about looping hex maps). My players knew that the horizon was really short in the E-W direction and really long in the N-S axis, so they figured out the cylinder, but they didn't explore that. If they had, they'd have found "impenetrable" ice walls at either end (that also held the atmosphere in place)...but if they managed to survive the crossing, they'd have ended up inside the cylinder.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Daehawk wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:20 pm Always wondered why the bible never spoke of dinosaurs.
Because God doesn't like that part of his plan. Thats why he started over.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

stessier wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:15 pm As for water falling off the flat earth, the most widely held belief (like half of the 400) is that there is a giant ice wall around the outer edge. This has been named Antarctica by explorers. No one who has even gone past the wall has returned.
It's also there to keep the white walkers out..
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Is that what they call Santa and his elves now a days?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Oh No Ross and Carrie did an interesting 2 part Flat Earth podcast not too long ago:
http://ohnopodcast.com/investigations/2 ... th-edition
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

So... I've been wondering if they believe the Earth is flat, do they also believe all of the other planets are as well? Decided to google that and found this where the answer seems to be... nope. Just the Earth. :?
-mf
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Damn! The evidence keeps proving us wrong.
msteelers

Flat Earthers

Post by msteelers »

My wife and I watched Behind the Curve on Netflix. It was hilarious, fascinating and depressing.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

We were wrong! We must keep trying until we are right!!
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The cornerstone of sound scientific method - working backwards to justify a preconceived answer.

The thing BEHIND THE CURVE made readily apparent was that these flat earthers are prone to believe in ANY conspiracy theory. Must be some psychological need to feel they are smarter than everyone else combined with an amazing talent for falling for multiple logical fallacies.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The Meal, shall you explain scientific method or shall I?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Another cornerstone of the scientific method is the control group - a group of people where you control what they think.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:28 pm Another cornerstone of the scientific method is the control group - a group of people where you control what they think.
No, you have it backwards. In this case, for example, the control group is NASA and the airlines, who (under the orders of the World Government, but really only as an extension of the Illuminati) route all sky traffic parabolically in order to create the impression of a globe.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

That's some brilliant analysis right there!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:00 pm The cornerstone of sound scientific method - working backwards to justify a preconceived answer.

The thing BEHIND THE CURVE made readily apparent was that these flat earthers are prone to believe in ANY conspiracy theory. Must be some psychological need to feel they are smarter than everyone else combined with an amazing talent for falling for multiple logical fallacies.
I've been watching this and still have 30 minutes left, but it's really good. It was painful to start with, but the treatment they give the topic is really good and leaves me shaking my head rather than wanting to punch a wall for people's stupidity. That's a big accomplishment.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles