OO Solo Board Gamers Guild

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Smoove_B

OO Solo Board Gamers Guild

Post by Smoove_B »

I wanted to start this thread a while back, but it's been a hell of a few months. Anyway, due to numerous events my social board gaming has dropped off dramatically in the last few years. I expect it'll change in a few more, but for now I believe the overwhelming majority of my board gaming is going to be solo. To that end, I figured it might be useful to have a dedicated thread for the solo board gaming effort - because I know I'm not the only one that finds it difficult to coordinate with others to make a group gaming night happen.

It's not my thread by any means - I hope that other solo gamers join in. My intention is to try and play at least one of these games a week, though it's likely going to change by game and by time of year. These next three months is when I usually have the most down time, so with the warmer weather inbound I can hide in my cool basement and solo it up.

I have a mix of true solo games as well as coop games that can be played solo. A few of them are PvP that have solo variants or can be played solo. There's also some things that purists wouldn't consider because they're not board games (like Legacy of Dragonholt or Four Against the Darknesss), but for my purposes it's solo gaming. I think I have a few more, but this list represents games (I think) I've spent less than an hour playing or I've added content to (like Hostage Negotiator) and need to make some headway.

My plan (I think) is to do a limited AAR (when applicable), but please, if you're solo gaming join in the fun.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Re: OO Solo Board Gamers Guild

Post by hepcat »

Oh, you found a copy of Shadows of Malice after all?
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes. After two people decided they really didn't mean to have it listed on BGG, I found it on Ebay. I was getting ready to send out the Bea Arthur signal to you for a lil' help at GenCon. From what I understand, there's very little chance it will be reprinted. I've read through the rules and set it all up to follow along with the tutorial and I really, really like it. It feels very well crafted.

EDIT: There's apparently a solo gamers FB page (not sure how new it is), but they are driving up costs and general difficulty in finding some of these titles. Someone will post a picture of a random game and then (I guess) 20+ people will scramble to find a copy. Hopefully it's just a blip in the bigger picture, but I've noticed it over the last month or so.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Tue May 08, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Love the idea of this thread. I mostly game in groups but I do solo often as well. My current love solo is leaving earth. Sounds like a good thread.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’ll post something more later, but suffice it to say I’m hooked on way too many solo (capable) games. My gaming group has dwindled down to a small one over the last few years.

I did discover the solo gamers FB page a little while back. That prompted me to order a copy of the first game book for Four Against Darkness. It’s apparently what all the cool kids are playing these days.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I play solo quite a bit. My actual chance to play is bi-weekly with the kids, so if I want to see some of my games more than once every couple of years, I play them myself. In my experience, any co-op game that doesn't have some sort of secrets or traitor mechanic can be played solo by multi-handing. I had a lot of fun with Shadowrun: Crossfire that way recently. Of course, some work better than others.

The funny thing is, I feel like I have quite a few games, but I have exactly one that is on your list (Hostage Negotiator.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Sounds fun. I'm in. Currently I'm playing a lot of AEON'S END: WAR ETERNAL solo, but I need to start SWORD & SORCERY at some point. This may give me some motivation to do so.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I applaud you all. I want to play more of my games solo. In actuality, however, I have dozens of un-played computer games that I also want to play. So I never get around to the board games. Maybe someday...

Though, if I had that many board games, I might change that... :shock:

Any idea, Smoove, on how your bandwidth would play with TableTop Simulator?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

From your list, I have experience with these:
Smoove_B wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:43 pm Aeon's End
Black Orchestra (2nd Ed)
Dragonfire
Gloomhaven
Hostage Negotiator + Crime Wave
Of those, I have played Dragonfire and Hostage Negotiator solo. I've since sold both of them. The only really solo success I have had was with PACG (Pathfinder Adventure Card Game), but after playing the first and buying the second and third, I couldn't bring myself to play anymore. Way too much setup time to be worth it. I've also tried Star Trek: Frontiers and I think I would like to play more, I am just not sure I want to do it again solo. I am kind of curious to try Aeon's End solo, but I've got a kid that likes the game, so that probably won't happen.

Basically, kind of like TheMix alludes to, there are video games that fill that solo itch without all the setup and tear down time. So, ummm, sorry for wasting a post. :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I look forward to your AARs! Also, try to make room for Nemo's War on that list. I will never pass up an opportunity to plug Nemo's War for solo gaming.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

You own all of those for the solo gaming experience and have yet to play them? Yes, clearly you have a problem. I can't wait for an AAR for each and every one of them. I romanticize solo board gaming in my head but I don't ever seem to do it. I think TBS video gaming has completely filled that space and left no room for company.

I do have a long standing love affair with [iR]epublic of Rome[/i], solo if you can find it (apparently cheap enough) and are interested.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1513/republic-rome

http://www.yxklyx.com/thecolosseum/ror/

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

TheMix wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:23 amAny idea, Smoove, on how your bandwidth would play with TableTop Simulator?
I've tried playing it locally and it just doesn't click for me. I've learned that I actually enjoy the tactile nature of board gaming. I am also slow to learn rules and need to actually play the game to figure it all out. Adding in the layer of using TableTop Simulator makes the learning even more difficult. I do like playing board game conversions where the AI handles all the rules - that's actually a bit more helpful in learning things (for me).
coopasonic wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:45 am Basically, kind of like TheMix alludes to, there are video games that fill that solo itch without all the setup and tear down time. So, ummm, sorry for wasting a post. :P
It's definitely easier to fire up a PC game - which is what I've been doing for time immemorial. I'm in the process of trying to add some extra table space to my office and I've set up an area in my basement now with a dedicated table. Setup/takedown is absolutely an issue so I'm hoping that if I can just keep the heavier games out and all set up, I'm able to then just jump in and play. Without cats or lil' kids to touch my precious, I am hopeful it'll work.
AWS260 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:57 amAlso, try to make room for Nemo's War on that list.
I've looked into it, not sure I'm sold on the theme. But I'll definitely keep it in mind. Zulus on the Ramparts was another one (in that vein). I know both are highly regarded solo games, but the theme doesn't immediately draw me in.
LordMortis wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:00 am You own all of those for the solo gaming experience and have yet to play them? Yes, clearly you have a problem.
Well...yeah. :D They're not all true solo games - most are coops that have the ability to solo. My collection over the last few years has transitioned from focusing on 3+ player games, to then 2 player and now I'm focused mainly on 2 player titles and/or games that can be played solo. And even for the true solo or coop games you can play solo, I have a strong preference for only needing to control one character. So for something like Defenders of the Realm or Legends of Andor, the fact that I'd need to solo 4 player slots is not enjoyable. On the whole, this hobby has been a huge a huge learning process, trying to figure out what "fits".
I do have a long standing love affair with [iR]epublic of Rome[/i], solo if you can find it (apparently cheap enough) and are interested.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1513/republic-rome
Similar to Nemo, I'm not sure about the theme, but I'll definitely look into it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:18 am Similar to Nemo, I'm not sure about the theme, but I'll definitely look into it.
The theme is what hooked me. I loved this game before I loved city builder based on Roman Culture. I think this game inspired my desire for that sort of game. It's about positioning your senate family with reputation, finances, and military power. You compete to prosecute wars, sponsor games, etc..., knocking other families down while building yours up concurrently with not letting Rome fall.

It's a much more cerebral ancestor to the Spartacus game y'all love, only the it's fought in the senate instead of the arena.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I haven't done it myself, but I couldn't see playing Dragonfire solo. Hell, I can barely see myself playing Dragonfire with friends (yet, I keep it.) I agree with Coop, PACG is a better experience, and a great experience on a tablet.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, that's been my unofficial conclusion as well. They bill it as something you can solo but after obtaining a copy and reading the rules that's not quite right. I should have stuck with my gut and avoided it, but the D&D theme lured me in. Dragonfire feels like it's a game that requires 4 people and benefits greatly from table talk. I am coming around to the idea that despite the theme, it's not going to work out for me. I like the Pathfinder game, but the setup is killer. It's also another game that (I think) benefits from having 4 people (or at least 4 characters). I really enjoy the PC version for that reason - it does all the deck stuff and allows me to jump from character to character quite easily.

Incidentally, the lack of table talk is my biggest problem with solo gaming. In the words of the great Steven Tallarico, talk with yourself and you'll hear what you wanna know. I really enjoy games that involve table talk and trying to come up with a group strategy - especially when it's supposed to be more of a general discussion.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:52 am Incidentally, the lack of table talk is my biggest problem with solo gaming.
My kids made fun of me when I was playing PACG and talking through all my actions. Of course my kids make fun of me for most everything.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Can I join if I like buying solo boardgames, punching them out, learning the rules, then never getting around to playing them?

I've got more in my backlog, but at the moment I'm focused on not getting around to:
  • Leaving Earth
  • Fallout
  • Nemo's War
  • One Deck Dungeon Forest of Shadows Expansion
raydude

Post by raydude »

This may finally get me to start playing some of my solo boardgames again. Especially now that I have a boardgame table.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

wonderpug wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 11:13 am Can I join if I like buying solo boardgames, punching them out, learning the rules, then never getting around to playing them?
I'm pretty sure that describes 90% of us if you take out the word "solo."
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

wonderpug wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 11:13 am Can I join if I like buying solo boardgames, punching them out, learning the rules, then never getting around to playing them?
That's how I got here! Join in, and share. :D
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

As I mentioned earlier, I had quite a bit of fun with Shadowrun: Crossfire solo, and I understand Dragonfire is based on that. I absolutely did have to multi-hand it. Four characters was pretty much mandatory.

I almost got Dragonfire last year at GenCon, but I just didn't have the money.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I have Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear with both the Solo Expansion and the Fire Fight generator.
It's good that the game is so good solo because I've yet to convince a person to play it with me.

Maybe I should to an AAR. :think:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's one my buddy is trying to convince me to get. So yeah, how about an AAR? :D
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

One of my favorite (currently unavailable) solo games is D-Day Dice. They just did a kickstarter for a second edition with some game changes, you may want to keep your eyes open for that one.

And if you're feeling crafty, I highly recommend Star Trek: The Dice Game. It's all P&P, but you can buy the components like dice and cards online from a couple of different sources.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh, I own D-Day Dice - and you're right, it's great. My list above isn't all the games I own, just the ones I've recently acquired and haven't put any serious time into playing. Off the top of my head I also own:

Friday
Space Hulk Death Angel
Roll Player (though I haven't tried new expansion...)
Elder Sign

All games I've played (and enjoyed) as a solo experience. I also didn't include things that are coming soonish - like Deep Space D-6 (which I think the Star Trek game is a re-theme of?) and Gloom of Kilforth (which I'm most excited about).

To reiterate my earlier comments, yes, I have problems.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've heard really good things about Death Angel, but it's impossible to find anymore.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, and that's unfortunate. It's a fun game. Perhaps not up to the mythological levels of hype that have been created in its absence, but for a $20 game, it's a lot of fun.

Maybe we can work out a deal on Dragonfire. I'll send it along with some unrelated miniatures that you can paint in exchange. :wink:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 1:09 pm Yeah, and that's unfortunate. It's a fun game. Perhaps not up to the mythological levels of hype that have been created in its absence, but for a $20 game, it's a lot of fun.
But for the ~$90 it costs online? Not so much.

Maybe we can work out a deal on Dragonfire. I'll send it along with some unrelated miniatures that you can paint in exchange. :wink:
Hell, I'm still trying to get through my backlog! I've got five Fallout minis on the table, Mice & Mystics is half painted, I just promised a set of Fallout minis to someone, and I just started two D&D campaigns, the prep for which hasn't let me near my work table for weeks! Still - it's tempting!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 11:19 am
Me too! :dance:
-mf
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:57 am
Extra credit if you even went as far as sorting the counters into trays! :ninja:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I feel like that makes me a recovering something something and that I should go down the hall for donuts and coffee.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

$iljanus wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:57 am
MonkeyFinger wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:57 am
Extra credit if you even went as far as sorting the counters into trays! :ninja:
Ooh Ooh! Not a solo game, but I bought a tray insert for Rebellion and haven't played my copy of the game once since organizing it into the tray.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've read that LEGENDARY: MARVEL is generally inferior to LEGENDARY ENCOUNTERS: ALIEN (one of my favorite solo-able games), but I've been in a Marvel frame of mind since Infinity War. Is there any merit into diving into that money pit if I enjoy LE: Alien? If so, any place better to start than another out of the huge number of core sets and expansions?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Marvel is generally a lot easier than the Encounters games, but that doesn't mean it isn't fun as log as you are ok with a lighter experience.

There are only two core Marvel sets, Marvel and Villains (there are other non-Marvel sets like Buffy and Big Trouble in Little China). Villains is more competitive than the original adding some direct player interaction cards. The later expansions tend to add more difficulty to the game as the mechanics evolved.

I'll sell you my Legendary: Marvel stuff cheap. I have a lot of it with a broken token insert and custom printed dividers and a corporate fedex account.

I wouldn't be selling it because I don't like it. I just have too much of it. I'll play Aliens or Buffy rather than Marvel these days... or, really, Aeon's End.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I do love me some Marvel Legendary. But as a solo game? It's almost too easy. It gets more difficult the more players/hands that you play.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hentzau wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 2:45 pm I do love me some Marvel Legendary. But as a solo game? It's almost too easy.
I have only played it solo by the book a couple of times. I usually just multi-hand it ( I play several hands.) I will agree that it gets too easy once you learn the mechanics. Coordinating with yourself is easy.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 3:27 pm Coordinating with yourself is easy.
You clearly have never seen me dance.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Thanks to this thread it has given me an excuse to buy Space Empires 4X and the Replicator expansion! More counters to organize and robust solo rules. Yea!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Every time I see this thread title I think, for a brief moment, this is about a Star Wars game.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

$iljanus wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:48 am Thanks to this thread it has given me an excuse to buy Space Empires 4X and the Replicator expansion! More counters to organize and robust solo rules. Yea!
I have both and STILL haven't played them. :oops:

Also, check out Talon from the same designer on GMT. It's pure Star Fleet Battles for us old folks. :wub:
Covfefe!