Post by Smoove_B »

Teaser trailer here.

:think:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Re: [Bethesda] Fallout 76

Post by Isgrimnur »

Fallout Wiki
Vault 76 is one of the Vault-Tec vaults shown on the computer in the Citadel.

The Vault-Tec terminal in the Citadel lists Vault 76 as a "control" vault, with 500 occupants. The vault was designed to open 20 years after a nuclear war, and was among the seventeen known control vaults, meaning that it was used as a baseline to compare to experimental vaults.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

My initial impression from the teaser is that they may be doing a settlement management simulation, expanding on that aspect of Fallout 4.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Max Peck wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:45 am My initial impression from the teaser is that they may be doing a settlement management simulation, expanding on that aspect of Fallout 4.
A fallout game I am fine with skipping. This... bothers me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Meeting minutes:

Ted: "Ok, let's take the most boring part of the last game and make a whole new game out of it!"

Bob: "What about exploring a post-apocalyptic wasteland?"

Ted: "Clean out your desk by five, Bob, you're fired."
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Possibly more like, "Hey, remember how everyone loved the 'another settlement needs your help' part of Fallout 4? Let's just make that part into a game."
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

What I remember is that I loved settlement building, but hated how shallow it was without mods. If they focused more on that gameplay and fleshed it out without the annoying Radiant quests, it could be a lot of fun. Especially if they focused it on really working on one settlement with a few outposts instead of 30 nearly identical towns.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:29 am What I remember is that I loved settlement building, but hated how shallow it was without mods. If they focused more on that gameplay and fleshed it out without the annoying Radiant quests, it could be a lot of fun. Especially if they focused it on really working on one settlement with a few outposts instead of 30 nearly identical towns.
+1
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Besides, building a civilization might just be the red herring this time around to push you into the wasteland.

An earlier Fallout prequel might be a fun twist, more radiation, more survival issues, less civilization, watching the iconic creatures develop.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I was thinking of something along the line of Fallout: The Sims rather than a direct extrapolation of the Fallout 4 settlement mechanics. However, maybe they could stick with the first/third-person interface and focus on building, crafting and defending the settlement against attacks. Maybe throw in some multiplayer and compete in the Ark-et-al survival/builder market segment. That would make Fallout 76: Battle Royale inevitable.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Well, you have two weeks to wait to find out the details.
See more at the #BE3 Showcase – June 10th @ 6:30pm PT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That one settlement outside the vault, with a desperate need to explore to find resources (as opposed to exploring while ignoring a missing relative - Shawn? Dad?) would be a lot of fun. Quests could be in the form of countering threats or making allies. And yeah, a solid survival game without cities every few miles to rely on.

Just not a multiplayer survival game. I still don't want to rely on the decency of anonymous humans for my good time.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'll admit, when I first saw the title I was kind of hoping there was going to be a car involved. :cry:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:57 am I'll admit, when I first saw the title I was kind of hoping there was going to be a car involved. :cry:
And the mountains near Levelland, Texas.

Enlarge Image
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I have no idea what this game is about as rumors are all over the place. But there are strong rumors that this game is built around MP.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Grifman wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:25 pm But there are strong rumors that this game is built around MP.
Or maybe it's going to be the Fallout equivalent of Elder Scrolls Online - an MMO? I'd think that would have wider appeal than a "MP" (using the classic definition) version of Fallout.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Grifman wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:25 pm I have no idea what this game is about as rumors are all over the place. But there are strong rumors that this game is built around MP.
I really hope not. The current trends in online multiplayer leave me cold. They're either grindy (with premium currency!) or full of opportunity for toxic players and trolls to entertain themselves.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Of course, now I really need to finish Fallout 75.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Ok, here’s my guess. The game takes place on 2102 according to the trailer, only 25 years after the war. The Vault is celebrating “Reclamation Day”. So you will be going forth to rebuild society. The game will be one of those survival MP games, with aspects of games like Ark Evolved and Rust.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

MMOs are very resource intensive. Has ESO been doing well enough that they'd want to jump into the MMO segment with a second title?

Thematically, Fallout is actually a pretty good fit for the multiplayer survival/crafting genre, and they did evolve Fallout 4 in that direction with the survial mode. If this is a multiplayer oriented title, then that's the direction I'd expect them to go (especially since that would let them bolt-on a battle royale mode, and that seems to be where all the money is at the moment).
Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:50 pm
Grifman wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:25 pm I have no idea what this game is about as rumors are all over the place. But there are strong rumors that this game is built around MP.
I really hope not. The current trends in online multiplayer leave me cold. They're either grindy (with premium currency!) or full of opportunity for toxic players and trolls to entertain themselves.
Yeah, I have virtually no interest in a multiplayer-only Fallout, but I can see the business case for it based on what is currently popular and profitable.

Fortunately, at this point everything seems to be pure speculation, with no real information being leaked from Bethesda. We don't even know who the actual development studio is, so far as I know Doh! It literally says "Bethesda Game Studios" at the beginning of the trailer. My reading, it is bad.
Last edited by Max Peck on Wed May 30, 2018 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

100 survivors, 1 crate of Rad-X, and the radiation wave is coming. Fight!
Brian

Post by Brian »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:08 pm 100 survivors, 1 crate of Rad-X, and the radiation wave is coming. Fight!
Winner Winner, Iguana Bits Dinner!!
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I will say that if they are making it a multiplayer survival game, they really made a misstep with their teaser. It looks just like the trailers for their single player games and has all of their fans excited for that. That excitement will only grow for the next week and a half until the full announcement. They set their fan base up to be disappointed, and there will be a lot of backlash for that. If you're going to diverge from what your fans expect, you telegraph that from the beginning.

At the same time, Bethesda doesn't do Blizzard's two-year hype machine. They tend to announce when the game is really far along. If the game is a good one, we'll be playing it this year.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Grifman wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:03 pm Ok, here’s my guess. The game takes place on 2102 according to the trailer, only 25 years after the war. The Vault is celebrating “Reclamation Day”. So you will be going forth to rebuild society. The game will be one of those survival MP games, with aspects of games like Ark Evolved and Rust.
25 years after the war, but the control vaults were supposed to open after 20. Possibly significant?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Brian wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:14 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:08 pm 100 survivors, 1 crate of Rad-X, and the radiation wave is coming. Fight!
No thanks, I prefer my iguana whole, and on a stick. 'Bits" are for chumps.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Grifman wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:03 pm Ok, here’s my guess. The game takes place on 2102 according to the trailer, only 25 years after the war. The Vault is celebrating “Reclamation Day”. So you will be going forth to rebuild society. The game will be one of those survival MP games, with aspects of games like Ark Evolved and Rust.
Agreed. Fallout Survival pulling in stuff From FO4 settlements, FO Shelter free game and every other survival game. Bonus points for having a Fallout Battleground mode where each kill unlocks a perk. :)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:14 pm At the same time, Bethesda doesn't do Blizzard's two-year hype machine. They tend to announce when the game is really far along. If the game is a good one, we'll be playing it this year.
Yeah, I'd say the release date will be in late October.
Enlarge Image

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Max Peck wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:07 pm MMOs are very resource intensive. Has ESO been doing well enough that they'd want to jump into the MMO segment with a second title?
I don't know if the second necessarily follows from the first, but ESO is one of the strongest MMOs at the moment.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Max Peck wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:07 pm MMOs are very resource intensive. Has ESO been doing well enough that they'd want to jump into the MMO segment with a second title?

Thematically, Fallout is actually a pretty good fit for the multiplayer survival/crafting genre, and they did evolve Fallout 4 in that direction with the survial mode. If this is a multiplayer oriented title, then that's the direction I'd expect them to go (especially since that would let them bolt-on a battle royale mode, and that seems to be where all the money is at the moment).
Yeah, I have virtually no interest in a multiplayer-only Fallout, but I can see the business case for it based on what is currently popular and profitable.

Fortunately, at this point everything seems to be pure speculation, with no real information being leaked from Bethesda. We don't even know who the actual development studio is, so far as I know Doh! It literally says "Bethesda Game Studios" at the beginning of the trailer. My reading, it is bad.
Bethesda had nothing to do with the development of ESO or the development of new content for it. They farmed it out and published it. Resource model need not apply. However, it did take 7 years of development.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Brian wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:14 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Perfect ... and I'm sure my neighbors in the cubicles outside are wondering what's so funny about our new program... :whistle:
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Alefroth wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:38 pm
I don't know if the second necessarily follows from the first, but ESO is one of the strongest MMOs at the moment.
Yes, I’ve read that ESO is doing so well that this is one of the reasons that they are not rushing towards the next ES single player game.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Smoove_B wrote:I'll admit, when I first saw the title I was kind of hoping there was going to be a car involved. :cry:
Never get out of the car.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Zarathud wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 2:10 pm
Smoove_B wrote:I'll admit, when I first saw the title I was kind of hoping there was going to be a car involved. :cry:
Never get out of the car.
Never get into the trunk! The last car in Fallout did not work very well :)
Last edited by Grifman on Wed May 30, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There was also a post found on a message board from clear back in December that said the next Bethesda game would be a Fallout-themed Rust clone. The post correctly named the game 'Fallout 76.' Nobody paid it much mind as the leak it probably was and dismissed it as someone's guess.

Fuck. I wouldn't be interested in that at all.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Huh.

I'm impressed. A Fallout game that won't appeal to Fallout fans, but might still sell well to a different base.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Absolutely this.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Paingod wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 2:23 pm Huh.

I'm impressed. A Fallout game that won't appeal to Fallout fans, but might still sell well to a different base.
I am suddenly interested.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I went from mildly excited to completely disinterested within 15 minutes. This thread delivers.