The New Bubble

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

RunningMn9

Re: The New Bubble

Post by RunningMn9 »

My harsh words were for the decision, more than the student. And I would never judge them so harshly if I was talking to them (that’s counter-productive). I actually have large amounts of empathy for recent college grads and the shit sandwich they’ve been dealt, since I work with so many of them.

I can accept that I should be more lenient on them given their lack of experience.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

GreenGoo wrote:What was your salary during the time you would have been getting your masters? Teaching is one of the very, very few fields where salary is directly tied to your education plus seniority.

There is a bit of that in the federal government as well, but it's not nearly as rigid as in teaching, and not nearly as impactful.
Its variable, assuming i could have worked as i did by doing later, very similar.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:55 pm My harsh words were for the decision, more than the student. And I would never judge them so harshly if I was talking to them (that’s counter-productive). I actually have large amounts of empathy for recent college grads and the shit sandwich they’ve been dealt, since I work with so many of them.

I can accept that I should be more lenient on them given their lack of experience.
I misunderstood your vehemence. My apologies. It seems you escaped with your feelings intact, so I won't feel overly bad about my mistake. :wink:
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:39 amI misunderstood your vehemence. My apologies. It seems you escaped with your feelings intact, so I won't feel overly bad about my mistake. :wink:
Being a robot without feelings, yeah, you don't need to feel bad. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Well, if this a bubble thread or education thread? :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The debt might be sustainable if new jobs were stable. I know too many millennials who kept getting unpaid internships or laid off after graduation.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Zarathud wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:49 am The debt might be sustainable if new jobs were stable. I know too many millennials who kept getting unpaid internships or laid off after graduation.
I don't understand how to reconcile this statement with the 88% of under 25 year old college graduates being employed.

I will also reiterate that anyone paying 100k for a bachelors degree is irresponsible and I feel no guilt.

Unicornpoint is paying $3,000 a semester at the University of Houston. With tax credits, it's half that. Granted, she's not paying room and board, but that still wouldn't add up to $100,000 and almost all students have some form of grant or aid packages.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Employed. Not necessarily working a) in their field b) full time c) in a job that requires a degree.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:49 am Employed. Not necessarily working a) in their field b) full time c) in a job that requires a degree.
Average graduate
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the mean wage for 20- to 24-year-olds across all education levels in the third quarter of 2016 was $625 a week, or $32,500 a year. For 25- to 34-year-olds, it was $966 a week, or $50,232 a year. The average salary for a recent college graduate with a bachelor’s degree was $50,219 a year in 2015, according to the National Association of Colleges and Employers.
They are doing pretty well.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Depends on where you live.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:57 am Depends on where you live.
That's probably why it's an average :)

The important part is salary in relation to non-college grads because it proves the theory about a bachelor's degree being worthless is nonsense.
Black Lives Matter

malchior

Post by malchior »

noxiousdog wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:11 am

The important part is salary in relation to non-college grads because it proves the theory about a bachelor's degree being worthless is nonsense.
Worthless is clearly wrong - worth less than their parent's bachelor's is probably more accurate.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's certainly a position that you won't see me arguing, especially seeing as I look at the unemployment numbers every month.

That being said, it is not, nor should it be, a requirement. Training and experience come in all shapes and sizes, especially in technical fields. I'd be all for a resurgence in VoTech schools.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:14 am It's certainly a position that you won't see me arguing, especially seeing as I look at the unemployment numbers every month.

That being said, it is not, nor should it be, a requirement. Training and experience come in all shapes and sizes, especially in technical fields. I'd be all for a resurgence in VoTech schools.
Agreed. I'm a huge proponent of them as well, and feel those technical tracks should be made available in high school.

I'd like to see the BLS separate out skilled labor from unskilled labor, though I don't know exactly how they'd do it. I don't feel that electricians being lumped in with fast food cashiers as useful information in the non-college graduate category.
Black Lives Matter

Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I'm always kind of regretting that I didn't decide to go into carpentry, welding, or electrical, and I have a funny feeling I'm going to wind up pushing my kid in that direction. Of course, by the time he's old enough to think about it, the university system may be gone anyway.

The real killer is that increasingly, the bachelor's degree is considered the bare minimum to get a decently-paying job, on par with what the high school diploma was 50 years ago, but the cost of getting a bachelor's has been going increasingly up. The option to get out of high school and just go to work used to be a valid option, but in the post-boomer era, it really isn't. Which is dumb, because I'd be willing to bet that many or most people with bachelor's degrees aren't actually working in the field they majored in. I'm very happy with my liberal arts education, because it taught me a ton of analytic and writing skills that I wouldn't have gotten with a STEM major or whatever, but ultimately, I'm not using the "stuff" I officially learned to get my degree.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Combustible Lemur

noxiousdog wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:14 am It's certainly a position that you won't see me arguing, especially seeing as I look at the unemployment numbers every month.

Agreed. I'm a huge proponent of them as well, and feel those technical tracks should be made available in high school.

I'd like to see the BLS separate out skilled labor from unskilled labor, though I don't know exactly how they'd do it. I don't feel that electricians being lumped in with fast food cashiers as useful information in the non-college graduate category.
It would unfortunately require a culture wide fundamental shift in standardized testing. Skills based rather than academic based. Maybe something that is process versus product oriented. I haven't seen the ASVAB lately but it definitely used to seek mechanical engineering as parallel in value to traditional academic skills. If voted schools to fight for equal percentage of practical math and spatial analysis (design) students you might see some equality in distribution. Right now, language and history acumen has an outsized weight in higher education acceptance.

gbasden

Post by gbasden »

noxiousdog wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:12 pm

That's one of the things I really like about my local school district. Each of the high schools has one or more academies that function side by side with regular classes. They vary by school, and range from engineering, green energy and computer related to food service, construction and law enforcement. My son is in a computer academy, and his classwork over the next four years includes building and repairing PCs, creating web sites, security, database technology and running and maintaining a set of servers that supports the classroom infrastructure. They've successfully gotten students internships with Google and Apple out of high school, and from what I've seen the other academies are equally good as gateways to vocational training.
Combustible Lemur

gbasden wrote:
noxiousdog wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:12 pm

That's one of the things I really like about my local school district. Each of the high schools has one or more academies that function side by side with regular classes. They vary by school, and range from engineering, green energy and computer related to food service, construction and law enforcement. My son is in a computer academy, and his classwork over the next four years includes building and repairing PCs, creating web sites, security, database technology and running and maintaining a set of servers that supports the classroom infrastructure. They've successfully gotten students internships with Google and Apple out of high school, and from what I've seen the other academies are equally good as gateways to vocational training.
This is slowly regaining traction. The problems are the current crop of teachers and admin have no idea how to really integrate it. Because we have a whole generation raised in the university above all climate. Second is it adds a shitlpad of resource needs. For it to work best the kids have to put their hands on industry stuff. There are a lot of industry skills that to a 14 year old are stupid boring but if they learn the tedious stuff in conjunction with the practical implementation it catches more buy in and long term thinking. I'm currently working on getting the kids certified in construction industry standards and they're stoked not just from an interest standpoint but from a make money to pay for college/ additional trade certs.

Post by Default »

Fwiw, my kid with the 80k English degree is working in a warehouse for 13 bucks an hour. He has full-time employment!

The 27 year old without a college degree is unemployed and the best he can do is 10 bucks an hour - at a warehouse.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Default wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:03 pm Fwiw, my kid with the 80k English degree is working in a warehouse for 13 bucks an hour. He has full-time employment!

The 27 year old without a college degree is unemployed and the best he can do is 10 bucks an hour - at a warehouse.
What are they doing to find better employment?
Black Lives Matter

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

noxiousdog wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:11 am

Even more for the graduate degrees - I think Masters' degree income should probably be broken down by debt accumulated for said Masters.

I'd wager a chunk of the high earning graduate degree data points are in fact the folks whose parents had enough money and influence to get them a good job out of college even without the graduate degree and/or pay for their degrees w/o student debt. Thinking the scions of wealthy families who have gone to private schools all their life and are just getting an MBA/JD to get into a job they would have gotten w/o the Masters.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
PLW

Post by PLW »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:12 pmBut all of the full-time tenured academics are telling them to just keep going to school because if they stop, they're never start up again.
Not all professors! I always tell people to get a job.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Tell your kids to become a welder. It's cheaper and pays better than McDonalds.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Moliere wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:39 pm Tell your kids to become a welder. It's cheaper and pays better than McDonalds.
I expected better, but it beats a sharp stick in the eye.
Black Lives Matter

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

noxiousdog wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:41 pm
Moliere wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:39 pm Tell your kids to become a welder. It's cheaper and pays better than McDonalds.
I expected better, but it beats a sharp stick in the eye.
Maybe you can get recruited to save the Earth from an asteroid. Wait, that's miners. Tell your kids to become miners. That's a job with a future!
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I've been threatening to send my kids to work in a coal mine since they were 3.

I never follow through though. :oops:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Welders are like nurses. There are a lot of certifications.

Post by Default »

I made 85k the past two years by the simple plan of working six days a week, 60+ hours.

Apparently, nobody wants to do the "rain/sleet/snow" thing any more.

Post by Default »

noxiousdog wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:07 pm
Default wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:03 pm Fwiw, my kid with the 80k English degree is working in a warehouse for 13 bucks an hour. He has full-time employment!

What are they doing to find better employment?
Job hunting? The college kid still owes 30k and will probably use the money from his grandmother's estate to pay off his student loan. The non-college kid has exhausted my patience and will be moving into an efficiency apartment in five months. Or his car. He seems not to grok the whole "l need to take care of myself" paradigm.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Default wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:47 pm I made 85k the past two years by the simple plan of working six days a week, 60+ hours.

That's $29.51 an hour or $56,659 a year relative to a 40 hour work week. I will take the smaller salary to work fewer hours.

Post by Default »

Good for you! I, on the other hand, have to retire in ten years and the divorce did what they do so well, which is destroy your previous plans for a stable retirement.
Moliere wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:53 pm
Default wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:47 pm I made 85k the past two years by the simple plan of working six days a week, 60+ hours.

That's $29.51 an hour or $56,659 a year relative to a 40 hour work week. I will take the smaller salary to work fewer hours.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Heard this financial advice on the TV the other day - the best way to build wealth:

Same car, same house, same spouse.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Saw this article and thought of this thread - A generation of college students buried in debt:
The economy has rebounded. But the student loan debt burying Ruiz and others has soared to an all-time high. More than 44 million Americans now carry more than $1.4 trillion in outstanding student loans, according to an estimate by the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. In 2008, that number was $640 billion.

“Year after year, we have slowly shifted more and more college costs onto the backs of students,” says James Kvaal, a former White House policy adviser who is president of the not-for-profit Institute for College Access and Success, which works to make college more affordable. “And we’re now seeing signs that, for many students, the debts are becoming insurmountable obstacles to getting ahead in life.

“These are people who played by the rules, worked hard, studied hard and are trying to make a better life for themselves — but, after college, in some cases, it doesn’t pay off, and they’re left carrying these debts they can’t afford.”
Some of the profiles they've included are depressing beyond words.
“I’ll probably never be able to buy a car,” Halpin, 32, says through tears. “I can’t afford to have kids — maybe not ever, but not now. I joke about it with my friends. But it’s not entirely a joke when I say I fully intend to die with this debt. I don’t think it’s ever going to leave me.”
Maybe next year, maybe no go
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Here's an idea: Don't go to some place that costs $100,000 to get a degree.
Black Lives Matter

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I heard "Joe Bob's Book Learnin' and Chainsaw Repair" is a pretty well-known and respected institution for higher learning and only charges $10k/year.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

noxiousdog wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:08 am Here's an idea: Don't go to some place that costs $100,000 to get a degree.
Define "costs $100,000 to get a degree". Is that tuition only? Does that include room and board?
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

noxiousdog wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:08 am Here's an idea: Don't go to some place that costs $100,000 to get a degree.
Same as credit card debt, bad mortgages, car loans, etc. Except there's the myth of "good debt".
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

My 6th grader had a unit on financial literacy and they researched colleges looking at costs, degree options and salary ranges. He decided Texas A&M was a better choice than USC. My eyes just about exploded when I saw the cost for USC. Good choice son.

On the flip side, he decided Wildlife Biologist was his major of choice. OK, kid, the first four years are on us. You are on your own after that. We'll see if he decides to enjoin the insanely indebted masses.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:20 am
Same as credit card debt, bad mortgages, car loans, etc. Except there's the myth of "good debt".
Except student loans are bankruptcy proof. You can admit defeat to credit card debt, a bad mortgage, or a car loan you can not afford. They will come after you for student loan debt the same way the IRS comes after you for back taxes all the way through garnishing your wages. The student loan debt mountain is going to force a lot of people into low paying but off the book jobs just because they won't be able to afford food and payments while working a better job due to losing portions of their pay check to the loan.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

NickAragua wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:14 am I heard "Joe Bob's Book Learnin' and Chainsaw Repair" is a pretty well-known and respected institution for higher learning and only charges $10k/year.
Keep perpetuating that myth.

The curriculum for all accredited Texas public universities is exactly the same whether you go to community college or the University of Texas.

I totally sympathize with someone who could be saddled with 40k of debt, even if I think that's a reasonable price to pay. I don't have much sympathy for someone who chooses a school that costs 30k+ per year.
Black Lives Matter