Shootings

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Shootings

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe our President has some helpful advice, after meeting with the parents of families affected by the Texas shooting?
Hart, an Army veteran, said she also suggested employing veterans as sentinels in schools. She said Trump responded, "And arm them?" She replied, "No," but said Trump "kept mentioning" arming classroom teachers. "It was like talking to a toddler," Hart said.

Reporters were not permitted to witness the meeting.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:14 pm This here is an 88 Magnum, it shoots through schools...
A powerful modern-day cannon fires water bottles as cannonballs - smashing strong walls in mere seconds.

The humble, ordinary water cooler bottle used in offices all across America becomes a mighty missile when loaded into this amazing cannon - the BCB Wall Breaker.

Without using any explosives whatsoever, the cannon remarkably uses just compressed air to blast the bottles through tough targets.

With the tragic rise in school shootings, the BCB Wall Breaker has the potential to save countless lives of American children in future active shooter situations.

For many years, BCB has had an outstanding track record innovating for Special Operations Forces.
So yeah, the Military-Industrial complex now wants to sell heavy weapons to schools...
Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but I didn't see anything suggesting these were for schools. The way I read it, the police would have this as an extraction option. Could be in schools, could be in other places. That being said, I can't see any school with a classroom (or any people occupying room) not already having an egress point commonly known as a window. I don't think they are allowed to have a room with only one egress point.
However, with this new development, I shall start the call. BAN Water coolers!
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:01 pm Maybe our President has some helpful advice, after meeting with the parents of families affected by the Texas shooting?
Hart, an Army veteran, said she also suggested employing veterans as sentinels in schools. She said Trump responded, "And arm them?" She replied, "No," but said Trump "kept mentioning" arming classroom teachers. "It was like talking to a toddler," Hart said.

If they are not armed, what difference would it really make to employee a veteran in regards to actual security/progression? I'm all for employing veterans in general and sure, they would probably provide better day to day normal security, but in an active shooter event, not do much if they are unarmed.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Oh man, I want one. Looks like Harbor Freight should be able to carry them in the pneumatic tools section. Hope they let me use a 20% off coupon. :wink: https://youtu.be/aw_du1GIHaw

Speaking of shootings, this incident is about the level of professionalism that I imagined the modern day FBI to possess.
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/fbi-agent-und ... 12396.html
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Punisher wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:35 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:01 pm Maybe our President has some helpful advice, after meeting with the parents of families affected by the Texas shooting?

If they are not armed, what difference would it really make to employee a veteran in regards to actual security/progression? I'm all for employing veterans in general and sure, they would probably provide better day to day normal security, but in an active shooter event, not do much if they are unarmed.
You should probably ask the veteran making the suggestion.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

GreenGoo wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:33 pm
Punisher wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:35 pm

You should probably ask the veteran making the suggestion.
I am not aware of any that frequent this board and do not know any of the ones making the suggestion.. Plus we have a plethora of people here who have no problem expressing their op ions..as it should be.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm guessing the suggestion was rooted in trying to find jobs or community activities for veterans, hoping they could use their knowledge of tactics, security and observation to provide real-time feedback. Again, just a guess. I don't believe for a second they want veterans to set up checkpoints with M60s, sandbags and concertina wire.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Sure, but the opinion you have questions about was expressed by someone not on the board. If you're just looking for random opinions, great. If you want to know why Hart suggested unarmed vets to the president, we can't help you.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh yeah, I'm inferring quite a bit. It's unfortunate that the press wasn't permitted to join in this meeting.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

GreenGoo wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:23 pm Sure, but the opinion you have questions about was expressed by someone not on the board. If you're just looking for random opinions, great. If you want to know why Hart suggested unarmed vets to the president, we can't help you.
For the record, anything I post here is to get opinions from the various people that post. Sure its speculation and personal opinion many times, but thats fine with me.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:16 pm I don't believe for a second they want veterans to set up checkpoints with M60s, sandbags and concertina wire.
It would give the teachers somebody to spit on everyday, and at the same time give the veterans a chance to learn what it was like to be a Vietnam vet. :wink: Two birds...
Enlarge Image
Holman

Post by Holman »

Wow. Right-wing bigot goes straight to "teachers hate the troops." Lovely.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m just surprised he isn’t advocating shooting teachers.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

But we're really just a few replies away from reforming him! I can feel it in my bones.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Keep it up, and I'll add you to the list.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

OO's Sexiest Posters list? Don't you think being a 5 time winner is enough? Besides, that bear skin rug chafes.
Covfefe!
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:16 pm OO's Sexiest Posters list? Don't you think being a 5 time winner is enough? Besides, that bear skin rug chafes.
You are not supposed to rub it that way.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"he could retire with his full pension, an annual payment of nearly $100,000."

He will have plenty of money to pay those psychiatrist bills.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Didn't find him? He didn't even find the door to enter the school. I'm sure his $8k per month pension can buy him some therapy. :roll:

...and I will say for the record that during confrontation encounters my head gets kind of foggy, my heartbeat faster, etc, etc. but then I'm not a cop and I wouldn't put myself in that job knowing what I know about myself.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Florida
The family of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student David Hogg was "swatted" Tuesday morning, causing police to respond to their Parkland home.

A call came into the Broward Sheriff's Office claiming a hostage situation at the home.

Coral Springs Fire Rescue arrived at the scene to find there was no hostage situation and the call was a prank.

Hogg was not home at the time of the incident and is currently in Washington, DC with his mother to accept the RFK Human Rights award.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo: Murder with Impunity
Some cities, such as Baltimore and Chicago, solve so few homicides that vast areas stretching for miles experience hundreds of homicides with virtually no arrests. In other places, such as Atlanta, police manage to make arrests in a majority of homicides — even those that occur in the city’s most violent areas.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:08 pm WaPo: Murder with Impunity
Some cities, such as Baltimore and Chicago, solve so few homicides that vast areas stretching for miles experience hundreds of homicides with virtually no arrests. In other places, such as Atlanta, police manage to make arrests in a majority of homicides — even those that occur in the city’s most violent areas.
Yup.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:36 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:08 pm WaPo: Murder with Impunity
Yup.
Sounds like great cities for serial killers to live in. :mrgreen:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Or drumpfsters to move to. :wub:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I fucking hate this timeline.

(This is sung to the "Alphabet Song", apparently)
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Edumacation: Lullaby Lockdown to the tune of “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star”
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/us-school-u ... own-drills
Lockdown, lockdown, Lock the door

Shut the lights off, Say no more

Go behind the desk and hide

Wait until it’s safe inside

Lockdown, lockdown it’s all done

Now it’s time to have some fun!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'll just point out turtle boy's message is for when war is started.

Safety rules absolutely belong in the classroom. It's what the rules are keeping you safe from that is iffy.

No one is complaining about fire drills, alarms and extinguishers.

Maybe that's the solution. Active shooter extinguishers in every hallway. The only question is what caliber they should be.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

GreenGoo wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:36 pm I'll just point out turtle boy's message is for when war is started.
FWIW, Bert is teaching kids what to do if a nuclear bomb goes off, not just war in general.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

wonderpug wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:23 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:36 pm I'll just point out turtle boy's message is for when war is started.
FWIW, Bert is teaching kids what to do if a nuclear bomb goes off, not just war in general.
Sure. I wasn't quite sure how to phrase it.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Stoneman Douglas school guard had sexually harassed massacre victim
An unarmed security monitor who critics say could have stopped the Florida high school massacre was suspended last year for sexually harassing two female students, with one of them later dying in February's shooting, her family told CBS Miami. The father and brother of Meadow Pollack say she was one of two girls Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School security monitor Andrew Medina harassed last year. Medina was suspended for three days, even though a disciplinary panel recommended he be fired, a newspaper reported Thursday.

Andrew Pollack and his 20-year-old son, Hunter, said they didn't learn until after the Feb. 14 shooting that left 17 dead that Meadow and her mother had reported Medina, now 39, to Stoneman Douglas officials. Andrew Pollack said his ex-wife didn't tell them "because she knew I would have handled it."

"I wouldn't have just let it go."

Hunter Pollack said a Broward school investigator gave him the details after the shooting.

"Every day more incompetence gets exposed," said Andrew Pollack, an outspoken critic of how Broward County school officials and sheriff's deputies dealt with suspect Nikolas Cruz before the shooting. Medina "should have been fired a long time ago."
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Time to order up another load of thoughts and prayers. Maybe God will finally listen this time.

Multiple people shot at Maryland newspaper
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:10 pm Time to order up another load of thoughts and prayers. Maybe God will finally listen this time.

Please don't let this be a right wing nut juiced up on der fuhrer's attacks on the media. We don't need anymore gas on that fire right now.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Sepiche wrote:
YellowKing wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:10 pm Time to order up another load of thoughts and prayers. Maybe God will finally listen this time.

Please don't let this be a right wing nut juiced up on der fuhrer's attacks on the media. We don't need anymore gas on that fire right now.
My thoughts precisely.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
malchior

Post by malchior »

Hannity is already blaming it on the Democrats and Maxine Waters in particular. Trash humans are apparently in season.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Shooter is a white male in his 20s. The authorities have his name but have not released it.

It's being reported that he intentionally damaged his fingertips to make ID more difficult.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

You mean he wasn't an illegal immigrant or a Muslim terrorist? Color me shocked!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:47 pm Shooter is a white male in his 20s. The authorities have his name but have not released it.

It's being reported that he intentionally damaged his fingertips to make ID more difficult.
Seeing that he was 38.

The suspect is Jarrod W. Ramos, a 38-year-old Laurel man with a longstanding dispute with the Capital, according to law enforcement sources familiar with the investigation.

On Thursday evening, federal and local law enforcement officials blocked off with crime-scene tape the Laurel apartment complex listed as the address for Ramos, whose dispute with the Capital began in July 2011 when a columnist at the paper covered a criminal harassment case against him.

In 2012, Ramos brought a defamation suit against the columnist and the paper’s former editor and publisher. In 2015, Maryland’s second-highest court upheld a ruling in favor of the Capital Gazette and a former reporter who were accused by Ramos of defamation.

Police said a shotgun was used in the incident. They said officers did not exchange gunfire with the suspect, who was now being interrogated. They said officers had recovered “smoke grenades” used by the suspect in the building, located at 888 Bestgate Road. About 170 people were inside at the time of the shooting, police said.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT