[Bethesda] Fallout 76

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: [Bethesda] Fallout 76

Post by GreenGoo »

Patiently waiting for the eventual details, whenever they may come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

One more week.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Another teaser from the Microsoft E3 presentation.
Last edited by Max Peck on Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

4x bigger than FO4...geez. Also love that its my area...it looks like that here where I am from.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

So I'm guessing this is the Fallout version of the bomb shelter at The Greenbriar and the people in this vault are from the US government and you are to rebuild the official government. And if this is a prequel you're destined not to do a very good job if FO 3 is accurate. I hope VR is supported at release or I will be a bit disappointed.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Online PvP Rust clone with no AI NPCs.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:50 pm Online PvP Rust clone with no AI NPCs.
And the ability to launch nuclear missiles to blow up other players' stuff. Because nukes are awesome! :coffee:

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:50 pm Online PvP Rust clone with no AI NPCs.
He did say it can also be played entirely single player, even though you'll apparently be online.

Hrm I just listened again, I'm not so sure you can avoid not being in the same world with dozens of people. This may end poorly.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Right, but no NPCs = no story, no missions. Oh, and no mods.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:17 pm Right, but no NPCs = no story, no missions. Oh, and no mods.
But there will be a Battle Royale mode, right? Even Hitman 2 will probably have one.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:26 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:17 pm Right, but no NPCs = no story, no missions. Oh, and no mods.
But there will be a Battle Royale mode, right? Even Hitman 2 will probably have one.
The market, she canna take anymore!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The one thing that will let me maintain interest is if there is an option for private servers so I can play it with my kids/with an OO group.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Ah well, the presentation wasn't all bad news. They did say that Fallout 76 can be played solo (for some value of "played" -- if you can't opt out of PvP, I'd guess you'll spend a lot of time being murdered, and if the systems are tuned for group play, everything will likely be very grindy on your own) and will have story content and quests.

Off topic: In other actual good news, they specifically said that Starfield is going to be a single-player game. And Elder Scrolls 6 is a thing that is going to happen, eventually.

DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:47 pm The one thing that will let me maintain interest is if there is an option for private servers so I can play it with my kids/with an OO group.
Without private servers or the ability to choose a server this game probably isn't' going to work for me. And no NPC's? Who the hell is the Overseer then? I can see the problem of having them unless they made them unkillable but it also means everyone should be hostile unless they're from Vault 76. The more I think about this game the more I'm likely to dislike it. And if this does mean no main story or quests then it will be a definite pass, but I've got to believe they have something lined up.
Max Peck wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:03 pm
And the ability to launch nuclear missiles to blow up other players' stuff. Because nukes are awesome! :coffee:
You and your friends don't want to spend hours upon hours building an elaborate settlement, which the game encourages you to do, without the threat of johnnyawesome69 or IpwndU420 nuking it? Snowflake.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Todd Howard specifically said that there will be a story and there will be quests. It was pointed out elsewhere that it is possible that when he said "they're all real people" he might have meant all of the characters emerging from the vault, not necessarily all of the characters in the world. Not everyone in the existing games is descended from vault dwellers, so it's feasible that there would be survivors in the world outside Vault 76.

At one point, Howard mentioned that you won't even "see" servers when you're playing, which I took to mean that you won't be able to select things like PvP vs PvE servers or private servers. That's unfortunate for the griefing-averse among us, but it's still possible that they will be going with a matchmaking infrastructure that let's you control who you will encounter, perhaps something like Elite Dangerous, where the instancing can be set to open, restricted (e.g. friend-list only) or solo.

I'm not getting the warm and fuzzies from the E3 presentation, but I'm not ready to write this game off completely until more concrete information is available. Right now, we're still reading a lot into what is essentially the elevator pitch for the game. Hopefully the gaming press is hard at work to pry out some specific details. And, like it or not, this is looking to be all we get for a new Fallout game for the next few years. Any single-player Fallout 5 is likely somewhere out there beyond Starfield and TES6, and I'd bet that both of those are years away.

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:40 amAt one point, Howard mentioned that you won't even "see" servers when you're playing, which I took to mean that you won't be able to select things like PvP vs PvE servers or private servers. That's unfortunate for the griefing-averse among us, but it's still possible that they will be going with a matchmaking infrastructure that let's you control who you will encounter, perhaps something like Elite Dangerous, where the instancing can be set to open, restricted (e.g. friend-list only) or solo.
When I play Watch_Dogs, if I'm not in the mood to deal with constant bombardment of other people, I simply disable my Ethernet card after booting up the game.

As long as the game doesn't crash when you disconnect from the internet, it's a workable solution.

I'm still disinterested, pending more info. I've played and replayed every Fallout game since the first. This may be a first.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Max Peck wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:51 pm

Off topic: In other actual good news, they specifically said that Starfield is going to be a single-player game. And Elder Scrolls 6 is a thing that is going to happen, eventually.
I saw some reports where they said Starfield will be a “next generation” game. Which some people are taking to mean the next gen consoles. And ES6 was stated to be after that. So some suggestions of 3 years minimum on Starfield and another 3-5 after that for ES6. Any truth to that? Given the minimal info I’ve seen about either I’m not holding my breath for a release date.

As a Wheel of Time, Game of Thrones, Kingkiller, Bastard Thieves fan I’ve learned patience. But I am curious.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Fitzy wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:59 am
Max Peck wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:51 pm

I saw some reports where they said Starfield will be a “next generation” game. Which some people are taking to mean the next gen consoles. And ES6 was stated to be after that. So some suggestions of 3 years minimum on Starfield and another 3-5 after that for ES6. Any truth to that? Given the minimal info I’ve seen about either I’m not holding my breath for a release date.
He did toss out the phrase "next generation" for Starfield, but I don't know what he meant by it. It could refer to next-gen console hardware, or it could just be marketing hyperbole. To me, it just meant "not soon." In any case, both games were mentioned but there were no details and no time frame was mentioned, so I'd guess that puts them somewhere out beyond 2019. Given that Bethesda/ZeniMax have so many studios now, it's possible that Starfield and TES6 could be in parallel development, but my WAG is that they'll finish Starfield before fully spinning up on TES6.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Neither trailer showed much . Maybe TES6 did if you're a know it all and can identify the land it showed. Im not.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If it turns out to be Conan meets Fallout, I will probably pick it up, get the wife a Steam account, pick it up for her, and let her build all the bases while I go out and kill stuff.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

You may be right in the end, but right now you are leaping to a conclusion. Nowhere does he say no NPC’s. He specifically say all people leaving the vault are real people but says nothing about NPC’s, one way or another.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Watched his demo...it looks fun actually. If you can find friends.

Will try to get in beta. Dont care for a power armor helmet just like I didn't for the pipboy. I do love my old lunchbox though.
Last edited by Daehawk on Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Before playing Conan I likely would have run away from this, but now I know it can work out ok.

Also, they have a wearable power armor helmet in the super expensive version!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think Im more interested in Starfield.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I almost feel like the nukes will be so abused. It's been said that you can solo it, but I'm willing to bet there will be lots of griefing, particularly in the form of nukes being targeted at them. It just sounds like a bad idea all around. There's just not going to be much they can do to fight back, given that they likely won't be able to get access to codes the same way an organized team can. The odds will be stacked from the start.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Could be interesting MMO...
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not an mmo. Only a dozen or couple dozen or so per server and you cant see or pick servers. Even though Vault 76 had 500 in it. Weird. Also I dont think they have the rights to a Fallout MMO. Maybe they do since Interplay defaulted. But I dont call this a MMO at all.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Just saw an interview with Howard. No NPC’s, quests come from terminals, robots, etc. No raiders, factions, etc. It will be interesting to follow but probably not a purchase by me unless somehow these turns out really amazing.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wait not even raiders? There needs to be something other than each other.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:00 pm Wait not even raiders? There needs to be something other than each other.
Nope, from the man himself. Which does seem really weird, given that the bombing did not hit the area as bad per the game fiction.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:50 pm Only a dozen or couple dozen or so per server and you cant see or pick servers.
So when they say you can play it 'solo', does that mean you're in a private world, or just that you're going up against teams of griefers alone?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I felt like I might be overreacting, so I wandered over to No Mutants Allowed.

I feel better now. :?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

NMA. NMA never changes...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Grifman wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:48 pm Just saw an interview with Howard. No NPC’s, quests come from terminals, robots, etc. No raiders, factions, etc. It will be interesting to follow but probably not a purchase by me unless somehow these turns out really amazing.
Link?

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:22 pm
Grifman wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:48 pm Just saw an interview with Howard. No NPC’s, quests come from terminals, robots, etc. No raiders, factions, etc. It will be interesting to follow but probably not a purchase by me unless somehow these turns out really amazing.
Link?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdYtulRRfDU
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:32 pm I think Im more interested in Starfield.

I think this is coming sooner than people think. Howard says they have a playable version now, so I think It will be out next year sometime.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:29 pm I felt like I might be overreacting, so I wandered over to No Mutants Allowed.

I feel better now. :?
Heh, ok, I can just imagine this :)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Grifman wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:20 pm
Link?
Thanks. One thing that really jumped out at me in that interview was that he said that at some point after launch they plan to support "private worlds" with mods. That sounds promising.

DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Grifman wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:20 pm
Link?
From the link:
- PvP is still being tweaked to avoid greifing (I'd actually say they're trying to minimize the effect of griefing)
- Modding will be present in 76 but not at launch
- Private servers will happen (but not at launch)

I feel a bit better, but would still much prefer a regular Fallout or an FO version of ESO. The No NPC is disappointing even though it would create the problem with the normal FO ability to kill anyone. Then again, what's stopping you from destroying an NPC robot?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

So an ad for this interrupts my mindless video watching and a guy in a full suit of armor is standing there while bombs are going off in the background, so he raises his hand to shade his eyes from the brightness.

A dude in a high tech fully enclosed combat helmet is physically blocking light from his eyes with his hand.

Here's an idea, why not try a ball cap? That should help. Don't bother with the 15 different filters that automatically drop into place when UV/X-ray/Gamma Ray/Normal visible spectrum get too high. Just carry around a big umbrella. You should be fine.

We get it. Atomic bombs make a lot of light. If it's too much for you, maybe try not looking directly at them.

:wink: