2018 NCAA Football Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Pyperkub

2018 NCAA Football Thread

Post by Pyperkub »

With less than 100 days left until kickoff, it's time we had a thread. Will Alabama repeat and make it 3 in 4 years? Will someone other than Clemson step up? Will the Pac-12 win a bowl game (or NCAA Tourney game?)? How will Chip Kelly do back in College?

For starters, here are the 10 toughest non-conference schedules (as usual, you won't find any SEC teams on the list... yeah, I had to get that shot in too ;))

(I don't necessarily like giving the ACC "credit" for scheduling Notre Dame, as they are obligated to 5 games a year...)
's worth noting that two of the four teams that made the College Football Playoff last season, Clemson and Georgia, each played two nonconference games against Power 5 opponents.

In fact, Clemson played Auburn and South Carolina, both of which were ranked in the CFP selection committee's rankings going into the final week of the regular season, and Georgia played both of its games on the road -- at Notre Dame and at Georgia Tech. And CFP participant Oklahoma played at Ohio State and won handily.

So maybe challenging nonconference schedules do matter.

With that in mind, we've ranked the 10 toughest nonconference schedules for Power 5 teams in 2018, and we haven't completely forgotten about the Group of 5 teams. A big shoutout to Florida Atlantic, Louisiana and SMU. Lane Kiffin's Owls play at Oklahoma and at UCF. Billy Napier's Ragin' Cajuns play at Alabama and at Mississippi State, and Sonny Dykes' Mustangs play TCU at home and then at Michigan in back-to-back weeks.

But as far as the 10 toughest Power 5 nonconference schedules, only three of the five leagues are represented. The Big Ten and SEC are noticeably absent. The ACC leads the way with four of the top five toughest slates out of conference and five of the top 10. The Pac-12 is right on the ACC's heels with four of the 10, and Texas is the lone Big 12 representative.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: 2018 NCAA Football Thread

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'm ignoring all the preamble this year. Wake me on game day.

(Not to threadcrap, I just don't have it in me this year)
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LawBeefaroni wrote:I'm ignoring all the preamble this year. Wake me on game day.

Part of that is Michigan having an established coach who kind of needs to deliver. In my shoes, I'm really interested to see what Chip Kelly can do with UCLA. He's not stepping into the same situation he did at Oregon, or even the Eagles. I really liked Mora, but he screwed the pooch after his original coordinators left.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Most pundits are predicting Utah to come in behind USC in the P12 South, but I really have no idea what to expect this year. We've got some good returning talent, but lost our top two receivers (Carrington to graduation and Singleton to a grad transfer). Moss, Shyne, and an experienced o-line should provide a solid running game, and I'm hoping we lean on that much more than last year. We had success in the games Moss ran for over 100, not so much when he didn't. Huntley needs to vastly improve his decision making if we're going to do well, and all indications through spring ball are that he's moving that direction. Having the same offensive coordinator in place (a rarity at Utah) will certainly help in that regard. If he keeps trying to run the ball himself all the damn time, he's going to get hurt and we'll be in trouble. Still, he's got some weapons and the defense should be very solid, as always. I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll do pretty well this year. Not sure we can win the South, but stranger things have happened.

Really interested to see how the coaching changes at AZ, UCLA, and ASU pan out. Sumlin has Tate in AZ and while he's very dynamic, there's not much else around him. If he goes down (which is likely with how much he runs the ball), they're in big trouble. I think Kelly will do well at UCLA, but not sure they have the talent this year. Seems like that's probably a year or two away. And I can't help but think Herm Edwards at ASU is going to end up a disaster. I like the guy, but don't think his style translates to the college game very well.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:03 am
LawBeefaroni wrote:I'm ignoring all the preamble this year. Wake me on game day.

Part of that is Michigan having an established coach who kind of needs to deliver. In my shoes, I'm really interested to see what Chip Kelly can do with UCLA. He's not stepping into the same situation he did at Oregon, or even the Eagles. I really liked Mora, but he screwed the pooch after his original coordinators left.
Mora seemed to have talent but his teams really under produced. It will be interesting to see what Kelly can do with them.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:27 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:03 am

Mora seemed to have talent but his teams really under produced. It will be interesting to see what Kelly can do with them.
UCLA has not had a good offensive line in a long, long time. Fraley seemed to be turning it around last year, and Kelly tried to keep him, but he left to go back to the NFL. Mora's original DC Spanos had us playing great defense, with the LB's under Ulbrich flying all over the field and turning us into LB U for a few years (Barr, Kendricks, Jack, Brown, etc. all starting in the NFL now). However, when Spanos left, Mora gave Ulbrich a shot as DC, and he just wasn't up to it, and left shortly thereafter (which is why Roquan Smith ended up @ Georgia, as he was originally coming to UCLA).

On the offensive side, promoting the RB coach was a disaster. Fisch was great, but only had one year. IMHO, if we'd had Fisch/Fraley for 2 years, and hired a good 3/4 defensive coordinator while keeping Ulbrich @ LB coach (maybe anointing him assistant HC), Mora would still be the coach, and UCLA would have made the playoff with Rosen at least one of his years at UCLA.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

In other news - VEGAS BABY!
A deeper, more lucrative relationship with the Las Vegas Bowl, which is currently No. 6 in the conference’s postseason lineup.

In that regard, there are developments worth noting:

* The first was news from reporter Brett McMurphy, who wrote last week that the Las Vegas Bowl plans to upgrade its pairing and move from second-rate Sam Boyd Stadium to the Raiders’ gleaming new home.

The bowl will cast aside the Mountain West, a longtime partner, and match a Power Five opponent against the Pac-12.

The SEC, McMurphy reports, is viewed as the leading contender for the spot, resulting in the only SEC/Pac-12 postseason matchup.
Can't wait for this if it happens. Regardless, the Vegas Bowl will finally be decent (the UNLV stadium where it is now, is horrible in the winter - 40 degree windchill at night, etc.).

Hope they move the Pac-12 Championship game there too (pair it with a great basketball tourney, and you've got a sweet weekend trip)!

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

How the SEC games the scheduling system (something I've been bitching about for awhile)
That, combined with the SEC only playing eight league games instead of nine, means that the Tide annually plays just four times per season in hostile stadiums.

Make no mistake, Alabama has earned its way to the top. But it also has gamed the system to a degree.

The rest of the league has taken note, and many schools have taken that page from the ‘Bama playbook. The SEC isn’t going into many snake pits in 2018.

Thirteen Power Five conference schools play just four true road games in 2018. Nine of them are in the SEC: Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M, LSU, Arkansas, Mississippi, Georgia, Florida and Tennessee. The other four: Ohio State, Oklahoma, Texas Tech and Louisville.

Average number of true road games per Power Five conference team this season: Pac-12 – 5.42, Atlantic Coast – 5.21, Big Ten – 4.93, Big 12 – 4.9, SEC – 4.36.

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Funny how they call it Bama's playbook. Saban has been pushing for 9 conference games for years. Auburn finally joined the club this past week and agrees. So 2 coaches on board. He's also tried to get home & home series with power 5s but it has been difficult. I'm just glad he gets the tough opening game at a neutral site. Alabama's opener this year will probably suck and really weakens Bama's schedule; Louisville without Lamar.

This is what Saban said last year:
"I've been out there talking about how we should have to play all Power 5 conferences in all 12 games," Saban said. "And I know there's a lot of opposition to that. The biggest opposition is the way you qualify for a bowl game. Everybody wants to win six games. So, they win six games, they get to go to a bowl game.
I always thought they should go back and add another tier in football. A level below power 5 and they have their own playoff. Then power 5 plays only power 5 teams.

Right now, it will always be difficult for the UCF's to make it to the playoffs, sure they were undefeated last year but the schedule was so weak. If Bama had that schedule they would be laughed at.

Of course many of these smaller schools count on the big pay day from the power 5 teams to keep their programs alive.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Hmmm, this could put a dent in the B1G:
Which is one reason why cable giant Comcast is threatening to pull the Big Ten Network (as well as FS1, which shows league games) off basic cable packages. It already did outside the league footprint on second-tier packages. Now it is saying BTN will no longer be on basic cable in communities in the league area as of September 1.

Hence, Silverman’s alarm.

“BTN is now facing our biggest challenge since the launch of the network,” Silverman said at Big Ten Media Days in Chicago. “Our 10-year agreement with Comcast expires at the end of August. A few months ago, BTN was removed from out-of-market cable systems on Comcast, which is the leading cable provider in the country. … It’s extremely concerning.”

Comcast isn’t just the No. 1 cable provider in the country; it’s No. 1 in the 11 Big Ten states – five of those (Pennsylvania, Illinois, Ohio, Michigan and New Jersey) rank in the top 11 nationally and have a combined population alone of 56.1 million. If the channel stops being carried, not only will fewer fans be able to watch games through cable television, a lot fewer dollars will come into the Big Ten.

And if Comcast can do this with the Big Ten, then why not the SEC and others?...

...“Unfortunately, my fear is the removal of BTN in the outer market may just be the first step in Comcast’s plan to remove BTN from their systems everywhere, including the Big Ten home markets,” said Silverman.

And here is where it gets interesting. Powered by BTN revenue, school athletic departments have grown exponentially the last half dozen years – with gold-plated facilities, major debt service on new construction, bloated staffs and huge coaching contracts.

Michigan, for example, employed 253 people in its athletic department at an average salary of $73,382.64 in 2010-2011, per state records. Just seven years later, in 2017-18, there are 368 employees (up 31.3 percent) at an average salary of $99,310.58 (up 26.1 percent).

These are clearly the boom times for the National Collegiate Athletic Industrial Complex … more, more, more. But booms can go bust.

How do schools such as Michigan maintain the funding needed for all the new workers, all the new construction, all the new everything? No, not now. Michigan, and everyone else’s, check will clear. Don’t pass the hat for the Big Ten quite yet.

In five years though? In 10? Will there even be such a thing as basic cable to profit off?

And if not, then what’s the real value of some of these expansion teams? Rutgers has been non-competitive on the field and mostly a hot mess off of it. Other than some initial football victories, you can say the same about Missouri and the SEC.

The only thing either brought to their respective conferences was basic cable subscribers in their populous home states. What if that no longer matters and the schools actually pulling the freight (Ohio State, Alabama, Penn State, so on) are faced with belt tightening?

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

And in a really cool piece - Bryce Love (disable Javascript if you get a subscribe/login prompt):
This week, Love decided to forgo the Pac-12’s football media day in Hollywood so he could tend to his studies.

If he keeps this up, he’s going to give college football a good name.

Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott commended Love’s priorities. Really though, what choice did he have?

“We tried,” Scott told cbssports.com. We talked to him, but this was a serious commitment he felt he had to (make). It’s really hard to criticize that, but that’s what we’re preaching all the time, giving these kids a chance to get an education.”

By the way, Love’s major is human biology with an interest in pediatrics and stem-cell research.

“Me personally, I really wanted to be there to represent the university,” Love told cbssports.com. “I decided I just wasn’t able to make it happen. Based on other commitments, trying to graduate in December required me to take more classes over the summer.”

“Human biology, graduating early while playing football, that’s amazing,” Stanford coach David Shaw told USA Today.

This is not typical. College athletics is a well-known, widely recognized oxymoron. There are collegians, and there are athletes. They typically pursue fulfillment along different paths...

...They were there drumming up interest that could come in handy should someone like Love contend for another Heisman Trophy. (He conducted press interviews over Skype, according to thebiglead.com).

That wasn’t good enough for Dennis Dodd of thebiglead.com. “Try to envision Tim Tebow in his heyday skipping SEC Media Days for, well, school. The need to better himself, the conference and his school would have outstripped another summer school lecture. (Love’s) absence does set a dangerous precedent. This is going to give every star player an excuse to Skype in.”

College athletics: Warping priorities and skewing perspectives for more than a century.
David Shaw, Bryce Love and Stanford do it right.

Dennis Dodd is an idiot. Wait, make that IDIOT!

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Here's Dennis Dodd's idiotic article:
Put it this way: Try to envision Tim Tebow in his heyday skipping SEC Media Days of because, well, school. Right or wrong, that wouldn't have happened. The need to better himself, the conference and his school would have outstripped another summer school lecture.

That's essentially what kept Love back in Palo Alto.

"Me, personally, I really wanted to be there to represent the university," Love said. "But I decided I just wasn't able to make it happen this year. Based on other commitments, trying to graduate in December required me to take more classes over the summer."

In one sense, you want to scream: Stanford doesn't have a private jet it can put Love on for an afternoon to promote himself, the school and the conference?!

If this had happened in the SEC, Paul Finebaum would have spontaneously combusted on the set. Here at the corner of Hollywood and Highland, there are larger issues...

...Let's just say Stanford forfeited a bit of a leverage to protest if Love doesn't win the Heisman. Five different times Cardinal players have finished second in Heisman voting since 2009.

But at Stanford, they don't necessarily chase trophies. That's fine. too.
Uh, hello dumbass. Stanford has more National Championships than ANY other NCAA school (including, unfortunately, my Bruins).

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Tua or Hurts?
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Urban Meyer (and his wife) might be in some seriously deep shit. CFB reporter Brett McMurphy does a very detailed write up on Facebook, hopefully this link works.

Short version: they allegedly both knew that one of his assistants was physically abusing his wife, but didn't do anything about it. Will be interesting to see how this develops.

UPDATE: OSU just placed him on paid administrative leave. I think he's done for good.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

msduncan wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:49 pm Tua or Hurts?
Honestly, I'd go with Hurts - as I mentioned after the Championship game, Tua had no idea how to protect himself from the vicious hits he was taking in just a half of action.

Of course, if that's changed, I think Tua is the long term guy, but I just don't see him as having the experience to be able to last an entire season in the SEC the way he was playing in the Championship game without possibly suffering serious long term effects.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:48 pm Urban Meyer (and his wife) might be in some seriously deep shit. CFB reporter Brett McMurphy does a very detailed write up on Facebook, hopefully this link works.

Short version: they allegedly both knew that one of his assistants was physically abusing his wife, but didn't do anything about it. Will be interesting to see how this develops.

UPDATE: OSU just placed him on paid administrative leave. I think he's done for good.
I could still see OSU keeping him, depending on how things play out. The key factor might be what his Title IX obligations were. I'm not an expert in Title IX by any stretch, but Meyer is apparently a mandatory reporter. Does that obligation extend to abuse he knew about committed by a person he employed against someone with no formal affiliation with the team or OSU? (There's some talk about how his contract was amended in April to explicitly state that not reporting something was a fireable offense, but I can't see how that would have an impact on something that happened prior to the amendment.) If it's determined that he does not have a reporting obligation in this case, I could see OSU fining and/or suspending Meyer for a period (and I suspect they would make it substantial, given the optics). If he did have a mandatory reporting requirement here, I can't see how he stays.

And if he does, does AD Gene Smith go, too? That would be two football coaches under his watch who were fired/forced to resign for being bad people. I think Smith is generally well respected in NCAA circles, but public outcry might cause him to get fired, too.

Personally, I can't help but have a small amount of schadenfreude around this, but I'm really trying to keep it to a minimum. I want to beat our rivals on the field, not see them brought down via scandal, particularly where that scandal involves this kind of abuse.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Nothing has been proven about the assistant coach, right? So Meyer didn't know that physical abuse had occurred, only that an allegation of physical abuse was made.

I'm not siding with anyone on this, only that semantics are important in this case.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

As I understand it, and I could be wrong, Meyer's wife knew about the abuse from the wife. She supposedly told him. He now claims to have reported it, at least as of what I had read Friday.
He is using the Paterno defense.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scuzz wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:10 pm As I understand it, and I could be wrong, Meyer's wife knew about the abuse from the wife. She supposedly told him. He now claims to have reported it, at least as of what I had read Friday.
This is my understanding as well. It's worth noting that Urban kept Smith on staff for three years after "reporting" the abuse, and only fired him when detailed reports started recently coming out about it in the press.

Rather disgusted after reading about the online abuse Smith's ex-wife is now taking from OSU fans. :evil:
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

McNutt wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:13 pm Nothing has been proven about the assistant coach, right? So Meyer didn't know that physical abuse had occurred, only that an allegation of physical abuse was made.

I'm not siding with anyone on this, only that semantics are important in this case.
I don't think they're that important (or they shouldn't be, anyway). She filed a complaint in 2009, but Earle Bruce (Smith's grandfather, Meyer's mentor, and former OSU head coach after Woody) and another Meyer confidant reportedly convinced her not to pursue things. Meyer and his wife supposedly urged them to seek counseling at the time. Regarding the 2015 report, Meyer's wife (who is a supposed de facto member of the team) received graphic photos of the abuse. It strains credulity to think that Meyer could stick his head in the sand and pretend he didn't know or didn't want to judge, particularly given the new claims that Meyer actually reported these things in 2015 (which he baldly lied about to the media when things came up a few weeks ago). He didn't think they were actionable in 2015, but when they resurfaced a month ago, they suddenly were justification for firing Smith? It doesn't add up.

To layer on this, noted OSU blogger and editor at Eleven Warriors Ramzy Nasrallah tweeted the following after news broke:
Spoiler:
Of course he knew. He knew he was an alcoholic, he knew his marriage was in shambles and he knew that his mentor's grandson was a terrible football coach and that he was protected because of bloodline. Literally everybody knew. I knew. I wrote around it for six years.
If Meyer saves his job, it's because he reported things at the time and he didn't commit any NCAA violations. It's not a great look for OSU, but it probably won't harm the football program in the long run. On the other hand, OSU has not hesitated historically in getting rid of legendary coaches who have committed wrongdoing (Hayes, Tressel). They even fired former basketball coach O'Brien over the appearance of impropriety (O'Brien won a wrongful termination suit later).
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

And in case anyone still questions whether the abuse actually occurred:

Spoiler:
Zach Smith told @1057TheZone he never abused Courtney. Here is text message b/w Zach & Courtney when he admits & apologizes for strangling his wife on Punta Cana trip in March 2015 & again in April
So any discussion of whether or not Zach Smith actually did anything wrong should be over. The focus of the investigation is on what Meyer knew, when he knew it, what he did (or did not do) about it, and whether it should affect his job status.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

My objection was to the statement that Meyer knew he had physically abused his wife. That text indicates that the abuse did occur, but it does not mean that Meyer knew about this text or any evidence other than someone's allegation that the abuse occurred. As far as I know Meyer only went off an allegation. Did he act appropriately after hearing that allegation? I honestly don't know, but that's because I'm only half-assedly following this story. That MUST be factored into any response to my posts. :D
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The Urban Meyer plot thickens.
More family drama has reportedly been revealed in Ohio State’s Zach Smith saga, as an author of multiple books about the Buckeyes has published claims from the mothers of both Smith and his ex-wife doubting the allegations against Urban Meyer’s longtime assistant.

In a report published independently on Facebook, Jeff Snook laid out quotes from Lynn Bruce, Smith’s mother and the daughter of former Ohio State coach Earle Bruce, and Tina Carano, the mother of Smith’s ex-wife Courtney. Both mothers claimed Courtney told them of a vindictive revenge plot against Smith and Meyer that she has been apparently planning since 2013.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:40 pm The Urban Meyer plot thickens.
More family drama has reportedly been revealed in Ohio State’s Zach Smith saga, as an author of multiple books about the Buckeyes has published claims from the mothers of both Smith and his ex-wife doubting the allegations against Urban Meyer’s longtime assistant.

In a report published independently on Facebook, Jeff Snook laid out quotes from Lynn Bruce, Smith’s mother and the daughter of former Ohio State coach Earle Bruce, and Tina Carano, the mother of Smith’s ex-wife Courtney. Both mothers claimed Courtney told them of a vindictive revenge plot against Smith and Meyer that she has been apparently planning since 2013.
That's pretty misleading writing, as C. Smith's mother specifically says the "plot" was against Z. Smith, and hedges pretty hard on the Urban stuff.
When asked if she believed her daughter’s claims of physical abuse, she replied, “I believe that Zach was removing himself from an argument and I do not believe he intentionally abused her. I do not believe he actually intentionally swung or punched her … no.”

As far as ever hearing her daughter say she would “take Zach down,” she replied, “Yes.”

And when Meyer’s name was mentioned, she added, “I cannot quote her exact words as I don’t remember them word for word, but something to that extent. This is my daughter and I love her but I do not approve of what she has done and how it was done.”

Following that text, she did not respond to follow-up questions.
So, discussing her estranged daughter, she doesn't deny abuse took place - just that it wasn't intentional abuse. (Meanwhile, we have a text thread between Courtney and Zach where Zach essentially admits to the abuse and apologizes for it.) She also notes that Courtney for some reason wants to take down the person who allegedly cheated on her and who she claims abused her - hardly earth shattering.

I don't know Courtney's mother's reasons for these statements, but it seems pretty clear from the evidence available that abuse took place. There are multiple police reports and a restraining order in play. There are pictures. The plot to take down Urban seems ludicrous on its face, unless we surmise she planted someone at Big Ten media days to ask the question about Zach's firing knowing that Meyer would deny knowledge of the history. This looks more than a bit like victim blaming.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:27 pm
Scuzz wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:10 pm As I understand it, and I could be wrong, Meyer's wife knew about the abuse from the wife. She supposedly told him. He now claims to have reported it, at least as of what I had read Friday.
This is my understanding as well. It's worth noting that Urban kept Smith on staff for three years after "reporting" the abuse, and only fired him when detailed reports started recently coming out about it in the press.

Rather disgusted after reading about the online abuse Smith's ex-wife is now taking from OSU fans. :evil:
One of the common themes you see in those abusive comments is how this should be between the husband and wife and everyone else should stay out of it...but no one would ever say that RE: a bank robbery or a murder. Why does domestic violence gets this weird moving of the goalposts?
I think Meyer is gone tbh. As ILB said, OSU has a history of firing guys, even when they're at the top of their game, if OSU feela the brand is threatened. And I thought it was telling they didn't make Schiano, who's a nut but does have D1 and NFL head coaching experience, the interim coach and instead moved up the young guy.

Edit : and Texas will suck...again. For like the 10th year in a row. Just to keep this in the fun category where football used to go..😕
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Lassr wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:43 am Funny how they call it Bama's playbook. Saban has been pushing for 9 conference games for years. Auburn finally joined the club this past week and agrees. So 2 coaches on board. He's also tried to get home & home series with power 5s but it has been difficult. I'm just glad he gets the tough opening game at a neutral site. Alabama's opener this year will probably suck and really weakens Bama's schedule; Louisville without Lamar.

This is what Saban said last year:
"I've been out there talking about how we should have to play all Power 5 conferences in all 12 games," Saban said. "And I know there's a lot of opposition to that. The biggest opposition is the way you qualify for a bowl game. Everybody wants to win six games. So, they win six games, they get to go to a bowl game.
I always thought they should go back and add another tier in football. A level below power 5 and they have their own playoff. Then power 5 plays only power 5 teams.

Right now, it will always be difficult for the UCF's to make it to the playoffs, sure they were undefeated last year but the schedule was so weak. If Bama had that schedule they would be laughed at.

Of course many of these smaller schools count on the big pay day from the power 5 teams to keep their programs alive.

Well, it is Bama's playbook:
Since 2014, Alabama is the only Power Five school that hasn't played a single road nonconference game. In fact, Alabama hasn't played a true road game outside the SEC since a 2011 win over Penn State in Happy Valley. Furthermore, since Nick Saban took over at Alabama in 2007, the Tide have only played two such games (2011 at Penn State, 2010 at Duke),
Both series were scheduled before Saban became head coach. He hasn't scheduled a single non-conference road game, even as part of a home and home (oh, and every single scheduled neutral site game is played within the SEC footprint, so that 'Bama can have home field advantage).

And it's a real shame, as that road game in Happy Valley was just great for College Football fans. I can remember playing a home and home with Alabama at the begining of the millenium, and it was great having the Tide fans out at the Rose Bowl, as well as the night atmosphere for the return trip from the Bruins. I still wish I'd had the wherewithal to make that road trip. I'll be making the Bruins roadies to Oklahoma, LSU and Michigan over the next few years, you can bet your booty!

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

First scrimmage is in the books. Tua passed for 4 touchdowns and 0 interceptions. Jalen has 0 touchdowns and 2 interceptions.

Former player tweeted this out (Will Lowery): "Disclaimer: this is the first scrimmage of camp, and the only practice I've seen. But from what I watched today, I'll be shocked if Tua isn't day 1 starter, and it isn't close. Don't expect an announcement prior to opening kickoff tho.."

And Finebaum cited a source close to the team that said the only QB competition at Alabama is who the backup to Tua is going to be. Apparently Mac Jones is pushing for the (backup) spot over Jalen Hurts -- and Tua is head and shoulders above both of them for the starting position.
It's 34 bowl victories.

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:34 pm
He has scheduled a home and home with Texas for 2022 & 23. The 2023 game caused the Texas-UCF game to be canceled. There is also a Notre Dame series but it is 2028-29, that was as soon as it could get scheduled.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

msduncan wrote:First scrimmage is in the books. Tua passed for 4 touchdowns and 0 interceptions. Jalen has 0 touchdowns and 2 interceptions.

Former player tweeted this out (Will Lowery): "Disclaimer: this is the first scrimmage of camp, and the only practice I've seen. But from what I watched today, I'll be shocked if Tua isn't day 1 starter, and it isn't close. Don't expect an announcement prior to opening kickoff tho.."

And Finebaum cited a source close to the team that said the only QB competition at Alabama is who the backup to Tua is going to be. Apparently Mac Jones is pushing for the (backup) spot over Jalen Hurts -- and Tua is head and shoulders above both of them for the starting position.
Were they both going against the first team defense?

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Lassr wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:23 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:34 pm
He has scheduled a home and home with Texas for 2022 & 23. The 2023 game caused the Texas-UCF game to be canceled. There is also a Notre Dame series but it is 2028-29, that was as soon as it could get scheduled.
That doesn't mean much that far out. Michigan had a home-and-home scheduled with Arkansas that we eventually bought our way out of (much to the chagrin of myself and other fans who were looking forward to a home-and-home against the SEC). Even if it does happen, that's 15 or 16 years into his tenure (assuming he's still coaching then) before he schedules an out of conference road game.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Saban will be 75 by 2028, or very close. He won't even be coaching by then.
Black Lives Matter
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:02 pm
msduncan wrote:First scrimmage is in the books. Tua passed for 4 touchdowns and 0 interceptions. Jalen has 0 touchdowns and 2 interceptions.

Were they both going against the first team defense?
Yes
It's 34 bowl victories.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Thanks. I guess we'll see if he can play more conservatively with his body. I hope so, because he's fun to watch.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Urban Meyer's wrist is going to be sore tomorrow!

Three game suspension - Oregon State, Rutgers, and TCU. None of those games are expected to present much of a challenge, although at least TCU should have a pulse.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Heard today that the OSU/Oregon State game has the largest point spread of any P5 game in week one. Oregon St. is just soooo bad.

Utah picked a great year to skip Cal and Oregon State in cross-division play. :evil:
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Urban Myer could not have done much of a worse job at that press conference. I'm fine with a 3 game suspension honestly but he really could have handled that press conference better at least. This has been pretty revealing of the true character of Urban Myer (as if his time in Florida ever left much doubt).
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hey guys,

I'm in a long running college fantasy football league that has an opening for one more team this season. We're running it off of Yahoo now that they've gotten into the college fantasy game (previous years have been on CBS and Fantrax). The player pool will be drawn from the Power 5 conferences + Notre Dame.

Shoot me a PM if you'd like to play! The draft will be sometime between Sunday and Tuesday so we can have teams set before the season kicks off Labor Day weekend.
Hodor.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

tOSU sure proved me wrong. But I guess in those other cases where they fired coaches for much less than what Meyer has done, those coaches hadn't gone 73-8 with a NC.

Yay integrity
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Other than the PR problem was Ohio State in any kind of legal or NCAA danger from what Meyer supposedly did? There were no players involved, no NCAA rules broken, just the bad publicity from Meyer's actions.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

It's conceivable that Courtney Smith could sue OSU for something here. Whether such a suit would contain a valid complaint or not is anyone's guess. That suit could happen regardless of whether Meyer kept his job, though.

OSU is highly unlikely to face any NCAA punishment over this. Bottom line, no NCAA rules were violated.

The report indicated that both Meyer and AD Gene Smith lived up to their contractual obligations (although it could easily be argued the other way, IMO), which could also leave OSU open to a wrongful termination lawsuit if they just fired Meyer. That might have had an impact on their decision, as they had to pay out a wrongful termination lawsuit not long ago when they fired an old basketball coach.