EverSpace - rogue like open space crowd funded

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

EverSpace - rogue like open space crowd funded

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10/21/ ... o-xbox-one

Posted this in consoles too since its coming to XB1.
Rockfish Games’ CEO Michael Schade told Xbox Wire his company is "trying to set Everspace apart" from other space shooters that focus on tremendous scope or realism. The company hopes to do this using what it calls a "very distinct art style" that shows a vibrant and colorful outer-space setting.

Schade said gameplay will focus around players collecting credits, which they can then spend on "permanent perks and ship upgrades," prior to their next run.

"Additionally, players will keep their story progress and collected equipment blueprints," he added. Collected blueprints allow players to "craft better weapons, consumables, and devices."
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Brian

Re: EverSpace - rogue like open space crowd funded

Post by Brian »

Updated quite a bit and the Beta is now available on GoG for $29.99.

Scott Manley has a bit of gameplay video.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

I posted a somewhat exhaustive Steam early access Everspace review here:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7656 ... ed/396750/

*While I like it overall, I tried to point out some obvious missing things in current build, including HOTAS/Joystick support, adjustable throttle and the ballyhooed non-linear storyline that to be fair is promised for the full version.

I'm also not a fan of giant fleet ships hyperspacing in out of nowhere and essentially becoming no-win scenarios that not even Captain Kirk could find a way to survive. :roll:

Post my 1st so-so YouTube video here:

Everspace gameplay video
https://youtu.be/Bqigle5nCNA
Do note this game is purposely more on the arcade side - there's no micro-managing of ship engine energy, shields, weapons energy etc. You do a lot of adjusting of that via ship upgrades, and so, well, the more times you die while piling up credits, the better your ship gradually becomes. I feel like if players go into it expecting it to be exactly like other space combat games over the years, they maybe be disappointed on this different way of doing things, though certainly I like it. :)

The game was designed for kb/mouse from the ground up -- Freelancer its inspiration -- so it controls that way as well as any space combat game I've tried. Far more precision than the lazy kb/mouse controls in the recent Star Wars Battlefront's air combat for example imho. Gamepad is apparently OK, but some may want to wait for reconfigurable gamepad settings (currently it's just a few preset configs to choose from)

Joysticks are mentioned at official site as something dev wants to eventually support but I've seen no recent posts officially confiming that. Without an adjustable throttle, not sure how useful a HOTAS type throttle would be right now, or even the dial throttle on stuff like old CH Flightsticks.

Roguelikes are always a dice roll with me. I hate some, love others. Here you keep any credits earned when you restart, and can continue upgrading various ship functions. While you can get blueprints, any equipment pickups or resources go *POOF* after you die.

Has some rarely seen trader ships and ships that allow simple docking for repairs, resource purchases and trading as well.

Pretty strong loot and resource gathering aspects. Loot drops from ships you blow up, or that get incidentially blown up, or from tech canisters you shoot or run into to open. Most resource gathering involves shooting an asteroid, crystal growth etc. and gathering via auto tractor beam. Some others like gas fields, you simply fly into and go into holding pattern until gas is gathered.

While it's billed as a space combat game, there's a strong Descent-type feel. Lot of strafing/dodging, and close quarters movement inside asteroids to gather stuff etc. I find the game enjoyable from both cockpit and chase-cam views.

There's really no storyline right now, so folks who need that should stay away until a later update presumably adds that. ALso only one "medium" type ship right now, which to me has a strong semblance to the Quinjet used by S.H.I.E.L.D./Avengers (and in Captain America Winter Soldier movie a lot). We can see that a second ship will be pretty tiny (presumably fast/maneuverable), and another will be a hulking, two-large engines behemoth with twin guns on its chin. 8-)

Although I'd give the game an A+ already on sheer presentation (graphics, animations, sounds, music), they admittedly have a long way to go to reach the promises for the full version of the game. Z key freezes the game to let you spin the centered camera around, which makes for some truly special looking screenshots.

Think you can view my Steam screenshots "wall" for Everspace here:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7656 ... reenshots/
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Did an Everspace forum 'dev tracker' Steam game guide to try to get the dev's updates/comments out in more readable form:

Everspace Steam Forum Posts Dev Tracker Guide
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =767775939

Highlights might be:
-They plan to get the other two new ships in by year's end.
-One is a large gunship with a chin turret
-Other is a smaller fighter a bit reminiscent of a Tie Fighter, but probably different enough to avoid Disney/Lucasfilm's wrath, I'd guess. :P

-The promised non-linear story content likely won't be until the story content is all complete (they don't think patching it in piecemeal would make sense), maybe by year's end or start of 2017.

-They seem to be tentatively aiming for a late Q12017 full version release (i.e., exit Steam early access).
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Arise!

This is out now. It's pretty, and pretty hard. Controls like freelancer and there is some sort of backstory to uncover. Combat is very unforgiving. The bad guys will circle strafe you like nobodys business. Only made it to the 3rd sector but it is fun. 3 ships to use and there is crafting for new weapons and accessories.

Kind of a mix of FTL in that you can use different ships and harvest resources to upgrade the ship and sectors and Descent
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

This has been on my wishlist since the day it released into EA. Freelance is one of my favorite all time games and I love roguelikes so I seem to be its target demographic. I'd probably buy it right now if it was $25 because that's what I have in my steam wallet. They wanted $30 for what was basically an alpha when it released into EA so I decided to just wait until a sale or it was released with the common 10% release discount. Still waiting but hoping for a small discount in the upcoming summer sale.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

ColdSteel wrote:This has been on my wishlist since the day it released into EA. Freelance is one of my favorite all time games and I love roguelikes so I seem to be its target demographic. I'd probably buy it right now if it was $25 because that's what I have in my steam wallet. They wanted $30 for what was basically an alpha when it released into EA so I decided to just wait until a sale or it was released with the common 10% release discount. Still waiting but hoping for a small discount in the upcoming summer sale.
So far (I'm only 3 sectors in) there is very little interaction with other races other than blowing them up. I have unlocked the ability to refuel and repair at certain stations but, so far, no ability to trade materials, modules, etc.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Any more opinions on this game? From what Ive seen played of it the maps look a bit freelancer'ish and the ship the player had seemed to be the Centurion heavy fighter from Wing Commander Privateer. Is it an all action game with no story or skills or new ships or rpg stuff?..Im not clear on what it is other than someone saying its an action game...which to me means a simple shooter. Someone else mentioned a little like the first X Beyond the Frontier game.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

The game has the "move along" element where you can't stay too long in a sector without being attacked. It was kind of a buzzkill for me since I like to look around, but I understand that was the design.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
KDH

Post by KDH »

:sci-fi-grayalien: .. Everspace .. 20% off .. @Humble .. $23.99 .. 2 days

Steam Page

EVERSPACE™ is provided via GOG key for Mac and Windows and Steam key for Windows and Mac.
... Um, What? :shifty:
Ain't nobody got time for that
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Buatha wrote:The game has the "move along" element where you can't stay too long in a sector without being attacked. It was kind of a buzzkill for me since I like to look around, but I understand that was the design.
Yeah. This has really hurt the game for me. I understand it is intentional but I like to take my time looking around.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well thats out then. I also dont like timers and hurrying.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I picked this up for 50% off at GOG yesterday. I'm not disappointed.
Cortilian wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:53 pm
Buatha wrote:The game has the "move along" element where you can't stay too long in a sector without being attacked. It was kind of a buzzkill for me since I like to look around, but I understand that was the design.
Yeah. This has really hurt the game for me. I understand it is intentional but I like to take my time looking around.
The timer kicks in after enough time that you'd really have to be dawdling to hit it. The first couple times I actually thought it was triggered by me not doing anything other than flying around. Maybe it gets shorter later on? I don't know. You get an alert and ample time to jump to the next sector.

Trying to ride out the timer is suicide. Like FTL - you stay ahead of the approaching wave of doom. Last night I stayed and fought, and while I killed the first two fighters that appeared, the next five got me.

So far the fighting is pretty smooth, and I could see where this might be fun in VR (disclaimer, I've never done anything in VR). It plays a lot like Freelancer with RPG progression and quick zone maps.

The premise is that you're a clone, trying to fight your way to find out where/who your "original" is as far as I can tell. You have a narrative AI guide that isn't too impressed with you. Each time you fly, you collect resources, cash, consumables, fuel, blueprints, and equipment. You can upgrade your ship on the fly while you're in space. Loot is very random, and can be found off dead enemies, inside crates scattered around the zones, trading with vendors, and by triggering some events - like hacking a beacon that provides you with a slew of crate locations.

The resources you collect on your journey are used to craft items from the blueprints you've acquired. Nothing of great value is easily craftable, and you'll have to scour several zones before you can make your first item. You can repair your hull and subsystems on the fly - but it takes Nanobots, which are the health kits of the game - and also relatively difficult to find.

You don't specifically need to kill everything, but it helps in finding loot.

Fuel is used to jump between zones, so you MUST eventually stop and search for it - found in some asteroids, some explosive containers, randomly from enemies, and in trade. It's cost around 25 out of 100 fuel for each jump. It seems entirely possible to strand yourself without gas, but you can jump with fuel shortages - you'll suffer damage as a result for an unstable jump.

Everything except cash and blueprints are lost when you die. Cash is used in between lives to apply permanent upgrades to your ship - whether it's more armor, more speed, more weapon space, more consumable space, better chances to Crit, unlocking trade vendors, buying better starting hulls, etc. Cash resets to zero before you head back out, so use it or lose it. The blueprints you find are permanent between deaths, and there's a lot to find judging by the number of slots to fill in that screen.

So far I've come up against one boss - a Corvette - that I couldn't beat, mostly because I started the fight with damaged weapons and shield systems and 30% hull.

The combat is pretty repetitious, and I'm already starting to feel some sameness in the zones - but that could be due to me not getting past the first four sectors more than once or twice. I've getting used to where things might be, too. A certain cluster of asteroids looks interesting, so I investigate and find I can mine a couple of them. Or I notice a blue electric-charged cloud and fly to it and discover I can harvest Plasma from it. Maybe in the distance I see a debris field, and I fly to check it out, discovering a few loot crates. The layouts are randomized, but there seems to be a somewhat limited number of set pieces I've seen so far. Again, I haven't made it very far, either.

I am doing better with each run out. I started with 6 kills before I died the first time. I was up to 28 by the 6th death. I'm enjoy it so far after playing for a couple hours. I didn't want to go to bed at 12:15am, but had to get up at 4:30 today.

The only bug I've found so far is that enemy-launched missiles can fly through asteroids. I thought I was being smart, turns out they have phase technology or something. This only happened a couple of times and isn't in any way consistent.
Last edited by Paingod on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I've been enjoying this, probably more than I should. It's a solid space fighter game for a KB/Mouse combo (I don't use joysticks or controllers), and the mouse steering and movement is excellent. If Freelancer removed all elements of Trade and Exploration and focused strictly on combat, this could be it. A little more info...

You can use one of four ships for each run to try and shake things up. Two of them need to be unlocked for $10,000 each, and the fourth one comes with the expansion, I think.
  • The basic ship is a well rounded with no real advantages or disadvantages. It can use most weapons, shields, and equipment. It starts with a good shield-stripping gun and a hull-pounding gun - so you need to cycle weapons to be really efficient.
  • The stealth ship is light on health, but has good speed and starts with a Cloak generator that is the best "get out of trouble" option in the game. Things going poorly? Stealth and run. The big downside of this ship is the limited shielding, so you've really got to play your boosters consistently. It starts with a charged sniper cannon and a beam laser, a fair combo - but missing with the cannon can mean life or death and the beam chews things up a little on the slow side. This is my favorite ship so far, and the one I've gone the furthest with.
  • The gunship lacks any kind of shielding, but comes with twice the health of any other ship, has built in damage reduction, can hold the most weapon options. It is the slowest ship. I haven't enjoyed this one much as there's no natural hull repair and any fight you get into is bound to leave a mark. The cumulative damage over time spells certain doom - for me at least. There's just not enough healing in the game to sustain this.
  • The heavy fighter is into crowd control, and comes standard with a heavier shield and an EMP burst that disables all enemies in the immediate vicinity. This is probably my second favorite ship. The big downside is that it can only equip ONE weapon - so you better find a good one. The starting Lightning Gun is okay early on, but not later; it bounces damage from target to target, letting you soften them all up as you kill one.
Your pilot and ships evolve based on the money you pump into them between runs. The pilot is a constant - and the abilities are largely focused on adding generic bonuses - better healing, better scanning, more loot, lower cost crafting. The ship upgrades are ship-specific, so if you use one a lot, you can pour money into it and leave the others alone. The ship upgrades are mostly focused on combat survival - more energy, more speed, more hull points, more weapon capacity. These upgrades are never lost once purchased, so you continually improve your survivability and utility as you play.

The concern over time limits in each zone isn't a big thing. Honestly, you're given enough time (for as far as I've been) to eliminate every enemy and explore every point of interest. Points of interest are apparent visually. Larger asteroids, space wrecks, bandit outposts, and mining facilities are the bulk of what you'll find. Each zone you enter will have 3 or 4 POI's and two or three groups of enemies. Sometimes the POI's will have turrets on them, which can be a surprise as they don't show up as targets until they activate and start shooting. Scattered around are harvestable resources and a lot of pretty scenery. Every now and then you'll wander into a sensor-dampened zone with no time limit. Most of the time I don't get the warning alert that a fleet is inbound until I've cleared everything and am scouring for the last scraps I might have missed.

Aside from the main mission of "get to the end" you'll meet a few random NPC's with their own agendas, and each gives you different kinds of missions that you can complete anytime and return the next time to bump into them on your road to progress. There's also a story that evolves as you unlock different areas and elements; it's not earth-shattering, but it provides a fair backdrop.

I'm on my 27th clone, and the furthest I've made it was two zones into Sector 5 out of 7. It was only in Sector 5 that I encountered an "Enhancement" item, which is a section of my inventory that was barren until then. The list of ship mods, consumables, weapons, and equipment is more than satisfactory - and each run you add a couple more new component blueprints to your repertoire, adding to your permanent options.

The biggest drawback of the game is repetition. When you've gotten a ways out, starting over is a real kick in the jimmies. You don't have to kill everything, but are almost always rewarded for it and you never know what you'll get - so you feel compelled to - leading to some risky choices.
There's a somewhat limited number of enemy types, and even those are recycled as "harder" versions in later stages. There's a limited number of POI's, and you start to get a feel for what to expect from each - like I know a large asteroid is going to almost always have Crystal I can mine, and very likely 1-3 loot crates to collect. Thankfully, orientation is randomized and there are a couple versions of each POI, so you never really feel like you could do it blindfolded - but close. Another problem, maybe, is the real need for kiting your enemies later; as foes get stronger, you don't really ramp up - so you better either out-range them and fly backwards, or have a trick-shot gun that shoots around corners; my best run to date involved sheer luck in finding an awesome homing gun and then keeping asteroids between me and the worst enemies while I shot around them.

I think it's a good title and worth playing and replaying, but I loved Freelancer and FTL. It scratches a nice itch somewhere between them. However, it's not a budget title and $30+$10 for DLC seems like a big investment to some. It's still on sale at GOG for $15+$7.50 - which is a pretty good price point for the fun I'm having. Others may only consider it if the sale dipped deeper or the base price came down.
Black Lives Matter

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I need to go back to this. Played it for an hour or so when it first came out, but remember getting stuck on something in the tutorial missions and quitting.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:40 pm I need to go back to this. Played it for an hour or so when it first came out, but remember getting stuck on something in the tutorial missions and quitting.
If you already own it and like space shooters, but just got stuck, I'd say "Yeah - give it another shot".

The Gunship is a late-game bloomer, I guess.

Having discovered a couple Gunship-Only upgrades, it works much better for me now. Slow as mole-asses, but getting better. The first is an Enhancement. +40% Damage, -40% Energy Regen. The Gunship already has slower energy regen than others, a larger base energy pool, and higher damage due to the mounted turret and starting guns. This just turns it up to 11. Withering firepower is an apt term. The second is an Equipment component - the Frontal Shield. This is an activated item, like the turret, that prevents 100% of the damage done in a 120º arc in front of the ship. As long as your enemies are in front of you, you won't get hurt. It only lasts about 25 seconds, fully upgraded. The turret lasts 30. Together it's a potent combination of offense and defense. Up to Sector 3, the combination was enough to defeat each group of enemies I encountered and I took minimal damage. What did me in was the sluggish control of this ship (it handles like a cow) and high "bump damage" I kept doing to myself navigating ruins. Even with the frontal shield up, you take frontal bump damage.

Learning the Interceptor's sniper cannon is a must.

The last couple of runs with this, I dedicated myself to learning how to use the Sniper Cannon because I felt like I was under-rating it. Fully charged, it adds a 12x damage multiplier, which is nothing to sneeze at. With a couple of upgrades - more hull & shield damage - it's pretty damn good ... but you've got to have a steady hand. The range is a staggering 4,000m Further than any other weapon I've found. Enemies are dots at that range. You've got to line up your aim precisely - not just getting the target close to the middle, but getting them right on the center dot. When the reticle turns dark orange, fire. This lets you pick fights before anything ever aggros and you can eliminate a group of three hostiles by flying backwards before they can even get a chance to fire at you. It takes patience and time, though. In later stages, when you're swarmed by hostiles, time is a rare commodity.
Black Lives Matter

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

This is a game that keeps giving and was a great investment for the price I paid. I keep going back to it any time I want some light space fighting. I also continue to be fascinated by my unintentional revisiting games year after year in roughly the same time frame.
Paingod wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:52 amThe Gunship is a late-game bloomer, I guess.
This is an understatement if I ever made one. I did "beat the game" with it, though. My second ship to pull that off. The first was the Scout. I've used up 47 Clones - that's 47 lives - to get as far as I have now. I noted in an earlier post that I was at like 28 kills before I died on my 6th run. Well, when I finished the game on my 46th run, I had killed around 350 hostiles... :D

The Gunship is a meat shield that needs a lot of enhancements to succeed. It's not worth flying seriously until you have them as it just can't survive the journey.

The elements I had that made it my successful run were 2 Enhancements and 2 Equipment items- Ancient Weapon, Equalizer, Frontal Shield, and Time Slower. The Ancient Weapon is a powerful insta-hit weapon that does more damage as your hull goes down. The Equalizer resets your hull to 50% each time you jump. As a result, the Weapon's base 240 damage was always at 360+ for me (with a range of 4km). The Gunship's turret isn't it's greatest asset for this combo - it's armor is. Fully enhanced, the 40% damage resist makes you pretty survivable as long as you're paying attention, and engaging enemies from 4km out means they often don't even get to fire at you before you kill them. I saved a lot of Nanites by simply jumping if I was low on health, resetting myself back to 50%. Once I found a Tuning station I was able to make my Components immune to damage and the rest of the run was cake.

Added to the fun is a Frontal Shield and Time Slower, used back-to-back to maximize the protection. The Frontal Shield lets you stare down a Battleship if you need to and the Time Slower lets you dodge bullets and have absolute precision aiming for 10+ seconds. By the time I succeeded in my run, I had a Mk2 of each. I did literally stare down a Battleship in Sector 7, sitting in the open and hammering on it. The only thing that slowed me down was having to chug Energy reserve items to keep shooting, and it went down in spectacular fashion.

The Gunship setup above also let me eliminate 3 Nanite Swarms as part of a mission without getting killed by them - and generally killing these things is suicide as they spray hull-corroding death in a 360º explosion that will eat you alive even if you run. You need to be able to soak the damage. I will admit to using Damage Limiters and having Armor Plating, so my overall Resist was something like 90% when I was hit with the wave of death.
Paingod wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:27 am I picked this up for 50% off at GOG yesterday. I'm not disappointed.
Cortilian wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:53 pm
The timer kicks in after enough time that you'd really have to be dawdling to hit it. The first couple times I actually thought it was triggered by me not doing anything other than flying around. Maybe it gets shorter later on? I don't know. You get an alert and ample time to jump to the next sector.
A note on timers: Re-reading posts, this element seems to be the most hated part of the game when people read about it. As stated before, they're pretty long and you need to dawdle to feel pushed by it. There is also an item you can acquire later that eliminates the timer, so you can take as long as you want in each sector. The general theme, though, is maybe 4-6 points of interest and 2-4 fights in each zone. As long as you're not scouring one spot too long trying to find something you're absolutely sure is there, you rarely run into a problem where you feel like the timer is costing you. It's mostly just there to keep ushering you towards the end of your run and harder zones. This isn't a game with a sprawling ecosystem that you'll want to immerse yourself in, but can't because of a timer. This is a rogue-like that's just stopping you from wasting too much time in each zone.

A point of advice, too - money is universal. If you're not succeeding with a ship, it's okay to use one you're better with and spend money improving the other one at the end of each run. I spent a lot of time in my Scout ship (collecting items) to earn enough to make the Gunship actually work.
Black Lives Matter