Origins Game Fair 2017 (June 14-18)

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Zarathud

Origins Game Fair 2017 (June 14-18)

Post by Zarathud »

Anyone else planning on visiting Columbus, Ohio from June 14-18, 2017 for the Origins Game Fair? This is my favorite convention to play games. GenCon is the bigger experience, especially for game releases, but I have always enjoyed the range of opportunities to play board games and RPGs in Ohio.

I plan to run three sessions of the Paranoia RPG on Wednesday at noon, Thursday at 8 am, and Friday at 8 am. I'll hopefully have the Kickstarter edition in my hands, finally, for the players to continue the theme of playing Minions in Alpha Complex for another year.

I'm also looking forward to another Kobold Midnight Madness on Friday evening. I'm excited knowing that my name is legend for the time I bribed someone else's 14 year old kid (after having them call an adult) to show up in the hall during a convention scavenger hunt as my kobold's gift of "baby" to King Torg. ALL HAIL KING TORG! Certain GMs will make me take a series of Horrible Kobold Death Checks, out of principle that the God Vor is still pissed off over the story (which the designer and the GMs really enjoy telling). I might even bring earplugs this year.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
paulbaxter

Re: Origins Game Fair 2017 (June 14-18)

Post by paulbaxter »

It's in the realm of possibility this year.
No sig, must scream, etc.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Maybe. Tom and I talked about it last year, I might be able to shake loose for it this year.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I think I may need to look in to it this year. I never take vacations, with the exception of taking a day to drive to Chicago for Octocon sometimes.

I think I've earned a few days in a hotel somewhere affordable, somewhere near Columbus for upwards of four days of doing shit for gaming purposes.

The question is then, where is affordable hoteling for one person somewhere near Columbus for four straight days of gaming and not giving a shit about other crap and how much is daily parking?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Hepcat finds reasonable parking online. The hotels filled up this year, so I found a place nearby on AirBNB for $100 a night. Similarly priced hotels are off the highway if you are driving.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Parking Panda is your friend.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote:Parking Panda is your friend.
It's sad that I have no idea if you are making it up or if this is the new hot ap for paying people to park in their driveway's/parking lots near your chosen destination.

And then

https://www.parkingpanda.com/
Zarathud wrote:Hepcat finds reasonable parking online. The hotels filled up this year, so I found a place nearby on AirBNB for $100 a night. Similarly priced hotels are off the highway if you are driving.
We'll see. I'm stuck where I won't decide until last minute and yet won't want to spend $400 for four nights of hotel room. This is why I don't go on vacation...
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Anyone else going? Let me know!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah Origins. Every year, you promise online event registration...and then when it goes live, it immediately crashes. You post an apology to facebook, and then it takes days to make it functional...and barely at that. And yet you use the same online event service every year. Do they have incriminating photos of you, Origins? Are they a family member?
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Well, in a shocking turn of events, looks like I may be heading to Origins. Working out the last minute details now, but I think I'm going to be there Friday night-Sunday morning. Will inform as more details are learned. Stay tuned!
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hentzau wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:37 pm Well, in a shocking turn of events, looks like I may be heading to Origins. Working out the last minute details now, but I think I'm going to be there Friday night-Sunday morning. Will inform as more details are learned. Stay tuned!
Going on your own? Or with T and/or S?
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:58 pm
hentzau wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:37 pm Well, in a shocking turn of events, looks like I may be heading to Origins. Working out the last minute details now, but I think I'm going to be there Friday night-Sunday morning. Will inform as more details are learned. Stay tuned!
Going on your own? Or with T and/or S?
Going with Tom. He's the one that's dragging my ass out there since I can't make GenCon. Plus, there is a Sergeant's game going on that he hopes to get into.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Excellent! Hope you like it there, as it's the one convention I get an annual free pass without family (since they're still in school).
RMC

Post by RMC »

I'll be there with the Crew. Well, I don't have a crew, so Zarathud and Hepcat let me walk around and pretend that I am part of the 'crew' with them.

Hepcat makes me dress up as a french maid, and lick his shoes, but you know it is all in fun.... :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Waiting for my plane. I'll be in the Board Game Room tonight.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:41 am Waiting for my plane. I'll be in the Board Game Room tonight.
Sitting in my office at work still. Planning on leaving the office at 2 or so, hitting home and doing phone meetings as I drive down to Columbus. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Going to leave here at 6AM on Friday so we can make it in for a 2PM game.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have a couple of friends there beginning to promo their new game (Universal Storytelling System.) They're texting me random pictures of the miniatures booths to torture me.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ReaperCon is Labor Day weekend.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:41 am Waiting for my plane. I'll be in the Board Game Room tonight.
I'm not waiting on a lady
I'm just waiting on a plane
I'm just waiting to play a came

[Mick Jagger "ooh ooh" noises and fade]
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:54 am
I'm not waiting on a lady
I'm just waiting on a plane
I'm just waiting to play a came

[Mick Jagger "ooh ooh" noises and fade]
came / game … who's counting. :wink:
-mf
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:48 pm came / game … who's counting. :wink:
If you are bent on counting the problems I have typing, you better be rainman. :ninja:
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:00 pm
MonkeyFinger wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:48 pm came / game … who's counting. :wink:
If you are bent on counting the problems I have typing, you better be rainman. :ninja:
:lol:
-mf