General Computing Randomness

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: General Computing Randomness

Post by Blackhawk »

What does everyone else use for editing .pdf documents? There are dozens of good, free readers, some better than others, but every editor I've looked at costs $100+. The only free ones I've found run only through a web browser while online, which won't work, either.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

As a free 'reader' I have used Foxit for many many many years. But as you say you pay a premium for their editor.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:10 pm What does everyone else use for editing .pdf documents? There are dozens of good, free readers, some better than others, but every editor I've looked at costs $100+. The only free ones I've found run only through a web browser while online, which won't work, either.
The PDF Import Extension for Apache OpenOffice provides a great free option for easily creating and editing PDFs with OpenOffice Writer. With the Oracle PDF Import Extension installed on top of OpenOffice, you can create a hybrid PDF/ODF file, which essentially means the PDF contains an embedded ODF source file. The advantage being that not only can it be viewed with a normal PDF viewer, but also opened for full text editing with OpenOffice Writer with 100% layout accuracy. That said, it's less than ideal if you're more interested in editing preexisting PDFs.

If you're looking to edit existing PDFs, you'll likely need to pay for PDF-XChange Editor or the like.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm editing existing documents and creating new ones.

I use LibreOffice, not OpenOffice. They are comparable, but LO tends to do a better job of keeping up to date. I'll check out PDF X-Change, but I'm leery of the fact that the unlicensed version has certain features that, if you use them, will watermark your documents.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Nope. Editing anything other than text isn't covered under the license. Editing images or outlines, or adding new text will put a watermark on every single page of the document.

:grund:
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:16 pm I'll check out PDF X-Change, but I'm leery of the fact that the unlicensed version has certain features that, if you use them, will watermark your documents.
Yeah, I was addressing the paid version of the PDF-XChange Editor. The licensed versions are still a good deal cheaper than the $100+ software you originally mentioned. The unlicensed version seems so feature-limited, it's likely not even worth bothering with.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't have the option of buying expensive software right now. Looks like I'm out of luck. I wish there was an Open/LibreOffice PDF reader.
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:38 pm I don't have the option of buying expensive software right now. Looks like I'm out of luck. I wish there was an Open/LibreOffice PDF reader.
Well, as I said, you can use the PDF Import Extension with LibreOffice/OpenOffice to create fully editable PDFs, which ain't too shabby given the price. If memory serves, I think you can also open some existing PDFs and do some very minor editing (e.g. perhaps edit small portions of text, add or remove images, and so on). But reliably editing existing PDFs largely requires licensed software, alas.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Random rant: I need a new PC ASAP.

My old Dell and the hardware around is just flaking to the point of being ridiculous.

I FINALLY got the webcam working... Turns out it was my USB HUB (2.0 USB hub with individual switches on ports bought last year) that's flaking out. Had it plugged into a USB3 hub. Swapping it to a USB2 port worked for a while, then it is experiencing random plug/unplug (the hub was not jostled or moved in any way). Both my mouse and keyboard (on the same hub) gets disconnected and reinstalled in the middle of doing something. It's an 8-port, and I had to scramble to find my old USB 4-port hubs to get it working properly. Plugging my keyboard into a USB3 port causes it to miss keystrokes. I have no idea why.

Then the webcam itself started to flake out. I was trying to record a 1 minute video, but the logitech software won't engage.

Tried to record audio with my podcast mike (yes, I bought one, for fun) and that seems to work, but when I clicked on Audacity to record, it recorded total silence. WTF...
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Turns out you can make your own power banks.

You can buy 10 x 3500 mAh 18650 batteries for about 15. You can buy 2 "5x 18650" power bank kits. like $4 each. Total $23. The result is two power bank rated for well over 10000 mAh and can be bought for $11 each on Amazon. ;)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Kasey Chang wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:07 pm Turns out you can make your own power banks.

You can buy 10 x 3500 mAh 18650 batteries for about 15. You can buy 2 "5x 18650" power bank kits. like $4 each. Total $23. The result is two power bank rated for well over 10000 mAh and can be bought for $11 each on Amazon. ;)
They make great fire starters too!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Z-Corn wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:15 am
Kasey Chang wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:07 pm Turns out you can make your own power banks.

They make great fire starters too!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:38 pm I don't have the option of buying expensive software right now. Looks like I'm out of luck. I wish there was an Open/LibreOffice PDF reader.
I know I'm a little late to this, but I like to use NitroPDF. If you've got a one-off document to edit, download a "Free Trial" of the licensed version which runs for 30 days at no cost and then uninstall.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

The project manager of Microsoft Bob on the importance of failure.
If you haven’t heard of it—or you’ve only heard it as a punchline—I’m not surprised. The program needed a more powerful computer than most people had back then, and a lot of critics found the visuals too cute. One reviewer said it was designed “as if the program’s target audience were the under-12 set,” and called the program “unappealing to people seriously bent on getting a lot out of their PCs, or to adults of any kind, for that matter.”
Not a lot of real insight, although I learned that Comic Sans, the world's most mocked font, originated with Bob.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Microsoft to start warning users of Win 10 not to use Firefox or Chrome

Thanks MS now go fuck yourself.
Microsoft is getting ready to warn Windows 10 users not to install Chrome or Firefox. The software giant is in the final stages of testing its Windows 10 October 2018 Update, and testers have spotted a new change that appears when you try to install a rival web browser. “You already have Microsoft Edge – the safer, faster browser for Windows 10” says a prompt that appears when you run the Chrome or Firefox installers on the latest Windows 10 October 2018 Update.

While the prompts can be turned off, they’re yet another example of Microsoft infesting Windows 10 with annoying ads and pop-ups. Some similar prompts already appear and attempt to push Chrome or Firefox users to use Edge, but this latest one steps up Microsoft’s war against Chrome even further. It’s not clear why Microsoft thinks it’s a good idea to include these irritating prompts, as all they’re likely to do is anger Windows 10 users rather than convince them to switch to Edge.
I wish someone could compete with MS in the OS world for PCs.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

the latest Steam update greatly improves the WINE layer to improve compatibility of Windows games on Linux. it's crazy, try it out.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:20 pm the latest Steam update greatly improves the WINE layer to improve compatibility of Windows games on Linux. it's crazy, try it out.
Is there a compatible version/software that acts as a stand-alone so it can be used with other platforms, like GOG?
Black Lives Matter

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

the technology that enables this is Proton, which is a heavily modified WINE that works only with Steam Play

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton

WINE itself is pretty good for some Windows software in general, but usually requires at least some config adjustments and is definitely not guaranteed to work, in any case.

that being said, PlayOnLinux is worth checking out - it promises to make a lot of the WINE configuring easier/less burdensome:

https://www.playonlinux.com/en/
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I love that tingle of uncertainty when you're moving a network and you plug in all the new settings at the old location and won't know if you got them right until you fire everything up in the new location.

/working on a Sunday to move the last parts of a network

/no device left behind!
Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Which is why I went software. I can throw traces and debuggers into my stuff to know when it's partially working and where it fails.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

No lost devices, but a lot of stray one-off settings fell out of the sky. Little things - like scanners hard-coded with the old DNS server IP for destinations, or credit card terminals refusing to take new settings without being rebooted.

A busy morning, but no catastrophes. Except for the state of my "server closet" - a wretched mess.

I took a half-rack's worth of gear and had to stuff it in a closet that's barely big enough for a Telco rack (about 1/3 the depth of a full rack, big enough for switches and little else) to hang on the wall. That gives me 5 physical servers - 4 blades, 1 tower, all sitting on the floor. The blades are on their sides. The whole kit is propped up by a pair of UPS units. Absolutely no way to make it look good. Barely adequate ventilation. No cooling.

It does not make us happy to put the Precious in such a bad place. No, it does not.
Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My power company is always trying to improve their website... ALL THE TIME. But it was perfect a few years ago when they started all this shit. Now its harder to use and more of a mess. And now they have borked it well and good. Wife is having to pay over the phone it in. And she cant do that because they want the acc# and we haven't had a bill mailed to us in 3 years.

Heres their error

Your connection is not secure

The owner of ccspresentweb.totalccs.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

Learn more…

Report errors like this to help Mozilla identify and block malicious sites
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A SPAM email in my trash box had the nerve to state it was fro ma trusted sender hahahaha...the gall of them...deleted.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:35 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:22 pm
Mozilla support

Security changes on Firefox
Or, since you know that the website is legitimate, just login with a different browser.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ah it was that I was worried about the name pass and my payment info being open to everyone. I dont trust the site because they are working on it and Im worried they messed it up.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Not strictly about computing, more of a tale of Amazon makes compulsive shopping too easy.

I have a 5th Gen Fire 7 tablet (I gave my 4th gen to a friend). But it seems that version is not capable of running Fire OS 6 (based on Nougat). I have a 64GB SD card in there and it's barely used. Apparently, I need the 7th or 8th gen to get Fire OS 6, which uses adoptable storage to make the SD card part of the system.

Given that Fire HD8 is $50 on Amazon, I'm kinda tempted to just buy it... But one thing lead to another (I want 32GB, plus a case, plus screen protector... ) and next thing you know, I'm checking out with 5-6 items. :-P
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

My right wrist started to hurt and I just switched to an ergonomic mouse (vertical mouse) from Anker that was on sale last week. Seems to help.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I broke down and bought the Fire HD8. Surprisingly, it has MUCH better battery life than my Fire 7 (5th gen), I'd say it lasts TWICE as long. I had it playing text-to-speech the ebooks all day, from 10AM to 10PM and it STILL has like 25% charge left. My BT headset actually ran out of power first. That's f***ing amazing.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

My work laptop wouldn't boot up after some Windows updates this morning. It's running Win 7.

Something similar happened last month, and I was able to do a system restore. Today it's telling me I have no system restore points saved.

Okay, fine. I ran startup repair (from F8 boot options). It can't do a repair. I tried running sfc /scannow. It found nothing. I even tried running several options with DISM tool but they all either failed outright or said they couldn't repair...something.

Safe mode starts up fine, but during normal startup it goes from the "Starting Windows" screen straight into BSoD. It flashes too fast, but after a dozen or so attempts I finally managed to read the error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, caused by dlkmd.sys.

Google suggests that dlkmd.sys file comes from DisplayLink Core software that has known conflicts with Nvidia drivers. The fix is to uninstall DisplayLink Core or possibly to install an updated version.

I can't boot up outside of safe mode. Windows Installer service is required to install or uninstall anything. Windows Installer cannot be started in safe mode. Another registry hack coming up...good thing that through someone's oversight, I have almost full administrative access to my laptop. And that actually fixed it, but now I'm afraid to plug it into my docking station. At least not until I manually roll back the latest Nvidia driver update and create a system restore point :)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I always ignore the notifications about new Nvidia drivers being available for download until a week or so has passed and any horror stories get exposed.

Updates make me nervous in general. Especially updates that auto-install :shock:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

My phone just got automatically updated to Android Pie (9.0) and I guess I have to get used to yet another variation of Android... They changed the UI a bit from the previous version.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:08 am My phone just got automatically updated to Android Pie (9.0)
Good gosh, I'm way behind on my Android OS knowledge. I have a Lenovo Tab but I don't think it's running anything near that OS release.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:51 pm A SPAM email in my trash box had the nerve to state it was fro ma trusted sender hahahaha...the gall of them...deleted.
Let me guess. Sender was "Fedex"?

But not really of course.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

For proper posture I am trying two different mice: a finger mice (that I mount on my right middle finger) and a verticccal mice. Neither works very well for me. *sigh*

The vertical mice just feels weird, and doesn't feel as precise as my Logitech mice. (Speaking of mice, this is the 4th mice on my desk. I have a 500G, a Logitech wireless I bought when I thought my 500G died, the vertical, and now the finger mouse) It does have a back button but overall it just feels a bit too LARGE for my hand. Wish it was like, 20% smaller.

As for the finger mouse... It's a bit weird, Basically you wear it on your right middle finger. When you need to use the mouse, you crook your middle finger so the mouse sensor is on a flat area, then your thumb reaches over for scroll wheel and the two buttons. It sort of works. But it sort of impinges on the buttons. And that's annoying too. I guess I need to pay extra for a touchpad or touchpoint keyboard. *sigh*
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Had to look up what the heck a "finger mouse" was... you're right, just a wee bit weird. :?
-mf
stessier

Post by stessier »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:05 am Had to look up what the heck a "finger mouse" was... you're right, just a wee bit weird. :?
MonkeyFinger thinks a finger mouse is weird. I love the internet! :D
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

stessier wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:18 am
MonkeyFinger wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:05 am Had to look up what the heck a "finger mouse" was... you're right, just a wee bit weird. :?
I was SO hopeful for a brief, shining moment and then... :(
-mf
stessier

Post by stessier »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:58 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:18 am
I was SO hopeful for a brief, shining moment and then... :(
To be clear, I was just laughing at the oddity of the juxtaposition of the words, not your opinion. I've never even heard of a finger mouse. :D
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles