[TV] New Star Trek Show in Development?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: [TV] New Star Trek Show in Development?

Post by Daehawk »

Dont watch this show but it strikes me...if Enterprise is out there so are some very cool beings and things happening.....Captain Kang, Trelane, Gorn, Romulan Commander. Fun stuff just outside Discovery's clouded viewports.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

...and then there's this guy.

Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

But he gives out free Tranya.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Season 2 gets Black Bolt:
Anson Mount has been cast to portray Captain Christopher Pike on the second season of Star Trek: Discovery, which is set to begin production later this month.
No additional casting has been announced and there currently is no official air date for season 2. At TCA, co-showrunner Aaron Harberts said that:

“The second season is not a war season… we are very interested in tackling themes of science versus faith. We’ll be nine years before [Star Trek: The Original Series] and there are things from TOS that we want to do some nods to.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Interesting choice. However, Mount has a lot of cred with me thanks to his time on Hell on Wheels, so I'm hoping this washes the sins of The Inhumans off his resume.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Huh, that's an interesting casting choice. Now Hell on Wheels has two links to Trek : Colm Meaney and now Anson Mount.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Mount is taking on an iconic role and Trek fans will shred him if he doesn't deliver. I hope he pulls it off because if he doesn't he will probably not get another legitimate role for quite some time. I liked him in Hell on Wheels but his portrayal of Black Bolt was really bad. Yes some of that was the script but when you're acting a non speaking role you need to be able to express a range of emotions and he had maybe two to draw on.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

HR
Alex Kurtzman is staying in business with CBS Television Studios.

The exec producer behind CBS All Access' Star Trek: Discovery has renewed his overall deal with CBS Television Studios, signing a massive five-year extension with the studio behind the latest entry in the long-running sci-fi franchise. The new agreement keeps Kurtzman, whose deal was up this year, with the studio through 2023. Sources say the deal is estimated at $5 million per year as Kurtzman receives a sizable backend on his programming.

Under the new pact, Kurtzman will serve as the Star Trek: Discovery's lone showrunner after taking over from Aaron Harberts and Gretchen Berg, who were recently fired from the series. Kurtzman will also expand the Star Trek franchise for the small screen, developing new series, miniseries and other content, including animation.

The new deal comes as rumblings about another Star Trek series, featuring Patrick Stewart reprising his role as Star Trek: The Next Generation's Capt. Jean-Luc Picard, have been getting louder. Sources say Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman, who left Discovery after season one, are attached to the Stewart-led reboot. CBS TV Studios declined to confirm the Stewart project as sources say a deal is far from completed and may not happen despite the fact that the actor recently teased his potential return to the franchise.
:o
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im sure if they can ruin it they will.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I love Patrick Stewart (fun fact...when watching I Claudius, a friend said he'd name his son Aelius Sejanus after Patrick Stewart's character. He only had daughters, though. I, OTOH, named my son Patrick). But I think he's too old to to be a primary Trek captain...maybe a recurring admiral, but not the focus of a series.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I would love to see Stewart reprise his role as Picard...but in a comedy series about Patrick Stewart being forced to reprise his role as Picard due to a contract he can’t get out of, or because of financial hardship.
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:39 pm I would love to see Stewart reprise his role as Picard...but in a comedy series about Patrick Stewart being forced to reprise his role as Picard due to a contract he can’t get out of, or because of financial hardship.
That would be funny...kind of like Dick Clark being trotted out for NYE long after he died of old age.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

And the troubles with Discovery continue... It already had a troubled development and a rocky start. Kurtzman? Good luck. I don''t like the guy at all.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:36 pm But I think he's too old to to be a primary Trek captain...maybe a recurring admiral, but not the focus of a series.
I have a feeling it would be exactly that.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

EW
Patrick Stewart has been cast in a new Star Trek series.

Stewart will reprise his iconic character, Jean-Luc Picard, for a CBS All Access series that “will tell the story of the next chapter of Picard’s life.”

Stewart himself just announced the news in a surprise appearance at the Las Vegas Star Trek Convention.
Star Trek: Discovery showrunner Alex Kurtzman will be an executive producer on the new series, and stated, “With overwhelming joy, it’s a privilege to welcome Sir Patrick Stewart back to the Star Trek fold. For over 20 years, fans have hoped for the return of Captain Jean-Luc Picard and that day is finally here. We can’t wait to forge new ground, surprise people, and honor generations both new and old.”

CBS isn’t releasing any additional information at this time, such as the show’s title or release date. But Star Trek: Discovery returns in January.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

This might get me to pony up for CBS all access.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ill watch it somehow sometime. As long as he is not shown as a guy who simply runs a vineyard. Although.....hmmm.

Im guessing admiral or diplomat.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I probably won't see it unless it makes it to real TV or DVD. Sorry to hear that it's going to be on No Access.
BrianE

Post by BrianE »

Picard spends his post-Enterprise years running a vineyard.

Star Trek: Deep Space Wine
Last edited by BrianE on Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Star Trek: Shit Face Wine
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spock #3 (adult)
Ethan Peck is about to boldly go where Leonard Nimoy and Zachary Quinto have gone before.

A veteran TV actor, Peck has been cast to play the iconic Starfleet officer Spock in season two of CBS All Access drama “Star Trek: Discovery.” Executive producer Alex Kurtzman confirmed at Comic-Con in July that Spock, one of the best-loved characters in the “Star Trek” franchise and in all of science fiction, would appear in season two of “Discovery.” Set to premiere in 2019, the new season, which takes place years before the original “Star Trek” television series, will feature an encounter between the USS Discovery and the USS Enterprise.
Peck’s TV credits include roles on “Madame Secretary,” “Gossip Girl,” “10 Things I Hate About You,” and “That ’70s Show.”
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It's a little ironic that this thread's title is finally accurate again, even if the discussion here isn't targeting that topic.
Montag

Post by Montag »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:16 pm Spock #3 (adult)
Ethan Peck is about to boldly go where Leonard Nimoy and Zachary Quinto have gone before.

A veteran TV actor, Peck has been cast to play the iconic Starfleet officer Spock in season two of CBS All Access drama “Star Trek: Discovery.” Executive producer Alex Kurtzman confirmed at Comic-Con in July that Spock, one of the best-loved characters in the “Star Trek” franchise and in all of science fiction, would appear in season two of “Discovery.” Set to premiere in 2019, the new season, which takes place years before the original “Star Trek” television series, will feature an encounter between the USS Discovery and the USS Enterprise.
Peck’s TV credits include roles on “Madame Secretary,” “Gossip Girl,” “10 Things I Hate About You,” and “That ’70s Show.”
Heh will it be the spock that was on the pilot all enthusiastic and stuff before Kirk had him chill out?
words
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Season 2 promo. I refused to watch the 1st season. The show struck me totally wrong in every way. I have a loathing for it and wish it bad stuff. But this promo made it look actually good. Actual Star Trek. And I laughed at the end.
Spoiler:
The only thing I dont get is why Pike takes Discovery and not Enterprise.
Last edited by Daehawk on Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I haven't finished season 1 yet, so I'm not watching the trailer for 2, but most officers go through multiple commands in their careers. Picard, for instance, was captain of the USS Stargazer long before he took command of the Enterprise.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:20 pm I haven't finished season 1 yet, so I'm not watching the trailer for 2, but most officers go through multiple commands in their careers. Picard, for instance, was captain of the USS Stargazer long before he took command of the Enterprise.
I spoilered that one part in my post. Looking at your post then looking back at mine I realized that could be a spoiler.

Concerning that spoiler and spoiling why that person is on Discovery....
Spoiler:
It appears he arrives on Enterprise and then goes onto Discovery. Remember Pike was in command after Robert April and before Kirk.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, didn't like Season One's direct at all and dropped out less than halfway through, but already looks way better in my opinion. It's like they looked at The Orville and decided they didn't need to be so uptight.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Just as an aside, I was a big fan of the Next Generation back in the day, and over time I noticed that two of their writers produced almost all of the good episodes (IMHO): Ronald D Moore and Brannon Braga. So imagine my surprise as I'm watching "Mission Impossible 2" this weekend (don't ask... :oops: ) and whose names do I see in the credits as story writers? Ronald D Moore and Brannon Braga :shock: .
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Liked season 1. Will probably like season 2. <shrug>
Apollo wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:17 pm Ronald D Moore and Brannon Braga.
Moore, yes. Braga? Hell no. That hack did his best to ruin Star Trek.
Covfefe!
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

hepcat wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:20 pm Liked season 1. Will probably like season 2. <shrug>
Apollo wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:17 pm Ronald D Moore and Brannon Braga.
Moore, yes. Braga? Hell no. That hack did his best to ruin Star Trek.
Yes, but I loved his work on "The Next Generation". Credit where credit is due, and all that...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Screen Rant
Captain Picard will lead a ‘radically altered’ life when his new Star Trek spinoff series begins, according to creator Alex Kurtzman.
Now in a new interview with THR, Alex Kurtzman states ‘Picard's life was radically altered by the dissolution of the Romulan Empire,’ and spoke about what Stewart himself wanted from the show.
He threw down an amazing gauntlet and said, 'If we do this, I want it to be so different, I want it to be both what people remember but also not what they're expecting at all, otherwise why do it?'
To that end, Kurtzman and his collaborators prepped a huge document outlining their vision to Stewart.
It turned into a 34-page document — with no way to shorten it. We were going on all in and he was going to read it or not read it, love it or hate it. It was our best attempt at trying to get him to say yes.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

AV Club
CBS All Access is coming for your children. Alex Kurtzman, the architect of the network’s burgeoning Star Trek universe, just told The Hollywood Reporter that animation will be a key component of the sci-fi franchise’s expansion efforts. The goal, he says, is to breed a new generation of Trekkies.
In the interview, Kurtzman confirmed that there will be a “minimum of two” animated series in his larger Star Trek universe, one of which is the previously announced Star Trek: Lower Decks. Lower Decks, which comes from Rick and Morty writer Mike McMahan, will follow a support crew on one of Starfleet’s “least important ships.” He also notes that two upcoming installments in the ongoing shortform Star Trek: Short Treks project will be animated.

While Kurtzman would only commit to one more animated series beyond Lower Decks, it sounds as if there’s a number of projects in development. “There’s other animated things that we’re building that are an entirely different perspective and an entirely different tone [from Lower Decks],” Kurtzman said. “What’s exciting about it is not only looking at each animated series as what’s the different tone, but what’s the different technology we can apply to these things so that visually they’re entirely different?”

Interestingly, Kurtzman added that the potential, kid-focused series “could land elsewhere beyond CBS All Access.”
Also in development are a “limited series” based on the Wrath Of Khan story and a Discovery spinoff starring Michelle Yeoh from The O.C.’s Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Comic Book
When Patrick Stewart returns to Jean-Luc Picard for a new CBS All Access Star Trek series, fans should expect something with a filmic quality to it.

Speaking to Yahoo about the show, Stewart says “They are writing a 10-hour movie." That seems to suggest that the show's first season will be 10 episodes long.

He also offered that this is not necessarily a limited series, noting that “We’re hoping for more than one season.”
“He may not be a captain anymore. He may not be the Jean-Luc that you recognize and know so well. It may be a very different individual. Someone who has been changed by his experiences. 20 years will have passed...We have no scripts as yet, we’re just talking, talking, talking storylines. It will be, I promise you, I guarantee it, something very, very different, but it will come to you with the same passion and determination and love of the material and love of our followers and our fans exactly as we had it before.”
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Not interested in the WoK series as I feel that goose has already been cooked, but definitely interested in the Picard series and seeing where they go with it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Moar shows!!1!
The first Star Trek animated series since, well, Star Trek: The Animated Series, Lower Decks is being showrun by Rick and Morty head writer/executive producer Mike McMahan. Unsurprising then, given McMahan’s resume, Lower Decks will offer a more humorous take on the world of Star Trek. And yes, it’s named for the TNG episode that focused on the lower-ranked Starfleet officers aboard the Enterprise-D but it won’t be set there.

Set aboard “one of Starfleet’s least important ships,” the Lower Decks animated series will aim to tell the stories of Starfleet members below even that. It’s about the support staff of said unimportant vessel—more specifically, according to a quote from Alex Kurtzman, it’s about the kind of crew “who put the yellow cartridge in the food replicator so a banana can come out the other end.” We don’t know when to expect the series just yet, but it’s safe to say it’s probably a ways off.
The most recently announced addition to all this might be the one that’s furthest off. Focusing on Michelle Yeoh’s Star Trek: Discovery character, Phillipa Georgiou—more specifically the alt-reality version of her from the Mirror Universe, where she was the sinister ruler of the infamous Terran Empire—the series will explore the recent plot development on Discovery of Georgiou’s recruitment into the equally infamous Section 31.

If you’re unfamiliar, Section 31 is a black ops branch of Starfleet first introduced in Deep Space Nine as a shady group of intelligence agents who are willing to discard the ethics Starfleet are usually governed by to preserve the moral souls of the Federation at large. Beyond that, we don’t know what else to expect—after being rumored a while ago, it was only recently confirmed as being worked on. In fact, writing has only just really begun with the end of production on Discovery season two, and Kurtzman has recently said that they don’t expect it to air until at least after Discovery’s third season.

Assuming that airs in 2020, it could be late 2020/early 2021 before we see Michelle Yeoh kicking space ass in black leather. Well, on this show, at least—she’s currently doing just that on Discovery season two.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm enjoying season two of Discovery. They're trying to find a happy medium between the old Trek focus on exploration (well, TNG and beyond) and the new Trek focus on action. However, last week's episode made me laugh in embarrassment for the show's writers as they tried to reconcile the controversial new look for Klingons with the old, Worf era look that folks expected...in an incredibly dumb way.
Spoiler:
They focus on the post war Klingons and the first thing you notice is that they now all have...hair. Long, luxurious locks of hair reminiscent of the Worf era Klingons. Then, in a throwaway line that's "blink or you'll miss it" small, the new Klingon leader mentions that since the war, Klingons are growing their hair back. I kid you not.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Spoiler:
Oh, so the long hair is trendy now? Gotcha.
I haven't seen season two yet, but it seems like it's trying so hard to please.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The latest episode was almost pure TNG era Star Trek. I used to think he was silly, but Saru has become one of the better aliens of the series.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I got season 1 of Discovery on Blu Ray for my birthday in December, and ripped through it last month. It's pretty good, overall. I liked the tone overall - it's not exactly "gritty" Star Trek, but the characters are much more three-dimensional and 'real' than other Trek series.

My main issue with the show is that some of the plot decisions are a little stupid. I thought that the way that they ended the Klingon War at the end of season 1 was incredibly stupid (and that episode kind of sucked). But there were a lot of pretty interesting episodes - I really enjoyed the Mudd time loop episode in particular.

I haven't watched any of season 2 yet, but I will sooner or later.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Season 2 is all about trying to find a happy medium between the action of the Kelvin timeline entries and the thoughtfulness of the Prime Star Trek timeline, although it's technically set in the Prime timeline. In some cases, it means explaining away things they introduced in season 1 that fans of the Prime timeline have called out. One trivial example is hologram communication. Captain Pike prefers display screen communications, so when they discover a glitch he decommissions all hologram communications. It's a short, 20 second scene, but it does explain why the Enterprise in TOS never has hologram messages.

So they're trying to appease us old school fans. And they're trying to do it without just making it happen off screen without an explanation.

I also like that this season the season long story arc isn't the sole focus of the show. Last season, with the exception of the great Harry Mudd episodes and a couple of others, the entire season was focused on one thing. The "discovery" that the ship's named after became a misnomer as the ship became a war vessel in so many ways. This season, they're returning to their intended role as a science vessel, although there's still a season long story arc happening in the background.
Covfefe!