pr0ner

Re: Hey soccer fans!

Post by pr0ner »

Yay!

Hodor.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

What a crazy game....Argentina never really looked in it and yet they were a shot away. I dunno if that is just France being youthful or what. Argentina was turrible tho. Just a mess
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
mori

Post by mori »

First time I have gotten to watch France in this WC. I was hearing about a very talented, but underachieving team. They showed up today as well as Paul Pogba. Mbappe is a 19yr beast. No wonder he is worth astronomical fees I hope the rest of the matches are as good as this one was.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Russia/Spain was infuriating to watch, glad Russia won. Spain with 79% possession (at one point had over 900 more passes completed), but they do absolutely nothing with it. Russia played a brilliant defensive game, forcing Spain to just dink around on the outside and never really allowed them to get an attack. That last PK save from the Russian keeper was brilliant.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:49 pm Russia/Spain was infuriating to watch, glad Russia won. Spain with 79% possession (at one point had over 900 more passes completed), but they do absolutely nothing with it. Russia played a brilliant defensive game, forcing Spain to just dink around on the outside and never really allowed them to get an attack. That last PK save from the Russian keeper was brilliant.
Brexit, trump, now the final 8 of the WC? Dang good run for the russkies lately.

I agree that was so frustrating; but I can't get behind the idea of playing the way Russia did, despite knowing that was their only shot AND the fact that they did win. It'd be like if the Cavaliers had decided to play the 4 corners offense combined with some sort of hack-a-shaq on defense against the Warriors in the Finals. Everyone knew who the better team was, everyone knew the Warriors would win but CLE played the game anyway not some abomination that destroys any joy just for the faint hope of getting to a free throw shooting contest to decide a winner.

That game was everything America hates about soccer.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Maybe Spain should have tried actually attacking at some point, instead of just passing the ball back and forth between their defenders and simply hoping something good might happen.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Yeah, I would have liked to see Spain's possession in the attacking third compared to overall possession.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

2 goals in the first 4 minutes of Croatia-Denmark! Wow!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
mori

Post by mori »

That match was dire to watch. If Russia had some quality in the counter-attack, they would of won comfortably.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

It was more Spain that was playing the 4-corners than Russia. Russia tried attacking when they had the chance, they just didn’t have the opportunity. As soon as Spain got the lead, however, they just passed the ball back and forth at the mid-field, not bothering to attack. They started attacking near the end and got plenty of chances, but Russia’s defense held. Spain’s was clearly the more talented team, but their passivity cost them.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Wow, most of those PK’s in Den/Cro were spectacularly bad.
mori

Post by mori »

This World Cup is wide open. May be England's best chance to get to the semi-finals since 1966. Now watch them lose to Colombia on Tuesday. Colombia will be tough but are very beatable.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:36 pm It was more Spain that was playing the 4-corners than Russia. Russia tried attacking when they had the chance, they just didn’t have the opportunity. As soon as Spain got the lead, however, they just passed the ball back and forth at the mid-field, not bothering to attack. They started attacking near the end and got plenty of chances, but Russia’s defense held. Spain’s was clearly the more talented team, but their passivity cost them.
Fair enough.
And I agree that Spain got the result they deserved. They were too...something. I dunno if it was scared or over-confident but they didnt do what they needed to do to win. When you're Goliath playing David you step on the throat and you never give them a chance to think they're in it. So yeah I agree Spain didn't play to win either.
mori wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:24 pm This World Cup is wide open. May be England's best chance to get to the semi-finals since 1966. Now watch them lose to Colombia on Tuesday. Colombia will be tough but are very beatable.
Man I sure hope so. I'm quickly running out of teams to root for(though I suppose as long as Mexico and Russia are in it at least I'll have somebody to root against... :)).
OR

-Hiccup
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Skinypupy wrote:Maybe Spain should have tried actually attacking at some point, instead of just passing the ball back and forth between their defenders and simply hoping something good might happen.
It's almost like something encouraged then from not attacking...

I'm sure we'll find out in 5 to 20 years.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

And the Oscar for best overreaction in the World Cup goes to...and this is no surprise...Neymar!
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:30 pm And the Oscar for best overreaction in the World Cup goes to...and this is no surprise...Neymar!
Seriously, that was ridiculous.

Brazil is alternately utterly amazing and completely laughable to watch. Their acting jobs at the slightest touch are just absurd. Neymar is the worst offender.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If embellishment drew a card, it would stop with a quickness.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

This sure wasn't the result I was expecting.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:43 pm If embellishment drew a card, it would stop with a quickness.
If only.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:43 pm If embellishment drew a card, it would stop with a quickness.
Well, overt diving does, but it's not thrown much for that (not enough IMO at least).
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The other contender for the Oscar is Luis Suarez. Every time someone goes up with him, he acts like a baseball bat hit his head, even when no one touched his head.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:56 pm The other contender for the Oscar is Luis Suarez. Every time someone goes up with him, he acts like a baseball bat hit his head, even when no one touched his head.

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. I'm glad that ref wasn't having any of it in the Portugal match.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Poor Japan.

Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:10 pm Poor Japan.

Incredible comeback by Belgium. Wow! I think I'll see if I can catch the 2nd half replay when I get home!

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

That was one of the best matches I’ve seen. And heartbreaking at the same time. Wow.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This is an awesome look at how the Belgian striker set up the winning goal...without ever touching the ball. Brilliant stuff.

GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:38 pm This is an awesome look at how the Belgian striker set up the winning goal...without ever touching the ball. Brilliant stuff.
When I saw it live I thought he had back heeled it, but looking at the replay I think if he had he'd have thrown his guy off. Amazing stuff.

And yeah poor Japan. They played a great game.
OR

-Hiccup
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

and that is the hardest part about coaching kids. Off the ball movement and how it's just as important as everything else.

Don't know how many times we play some of the better teams in the area and I'll see some nice off the ball movement by them and I'll turn to the other coach and say "Uh oh, Here's comes a score." and be right 75% of the time.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Columbia, holy shit. :shock: This has been a damn fun game to watch.

It was the 23rd goal in this tourney scored after 90’. That’s insane.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

And the pubs erupt with joy! Rule Britannia!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:00 pm It was the 23rd goal in this tourney scored after 90’. That’s insane.
Yeah, it's been a fantastic World Cup thus far. A lot of wide open play and great drama.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Yeah, I’m going to be awfully sad when this WC is over, and we have nothing to watch for over a month.
mori

Post by mori »

Please England, do not start Sterling and Dele again. Both have been below average this tournament.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Screw South American soccer. This is glorious so far.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

That was a brilliant game. Watching Brazil shank wide open look after wide open look was awesome.

The Belgian keeper's save at the very end was an absolute thing of beauty. Save of the tourney so far, imo.

EDIT: Seriously, this is just goddamned ridiculous. :shock:

Last edited by Skinypupy on Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

All-Europe from here on out.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I didn't think anyone could take out Brazil until the own goal. If there's one thing I've learned watching the NFL it's that one way an underdog has a better chance is if the favorite makes one or two catastrophic errors. I saw no reason that can't apply to soccer. So at that point I perked up and thought "This could really happen".
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Can’t believe they didn’t call a penalty in the box AFTER reviewing the obvious foul against Coutinho on VAR. FIFA still corrupt as fuck I guess.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:25 pm Can’t believe they didn’t call a penalty in the box AFTER reviewing the obvious foul against Coutinho on VAR. FIFA still corrupt as fuck I guess.
I assume you're talking about the one near the end of stoppage time where he got hit in the face? That would have been a very questionable PK, at best. I was perfectly fine with them not giving it.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:46 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:25 pm Can’t believe they didn’t call a penalty in the box AFTER reviewing the obvious foul against Coutinho on VAR. FIFA still corrupt as fuck I guess.
I assume you're talking about the one near the end of stoppage time where he got hit in the face? That would have been a very questionable PK, at best. I was perfectly fine with them not giving it.
No, I think he's talking about Kompany taking out Jesus at the end line. The reasoning is that the ball was out of play before the contact.