15%
No bun, I'm on the keto diet
5%

Total votes: 20

EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Sideways or Top and Bottom?

Post by EvilHomer3k »

After grilling some hot dogs today and getting a bun ready, it struck me that hot dog buns, like hamburger buns, have a larger top than bottom. Then, I thought how dumb that was because I always eat my hot dogs with the bun sideways. Doing a google image search of people eating hot dogs and I see that not everyone does eat theirs sideways. So, which way do you eat your dogs and why?
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Sideways or Top and Bottom?

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Usually sideways because I usually have a Chicago dog or have kraut on there.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Someone is going to have to explain to me the topology of a hotdog bun.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If it has toppings how else would you eat it?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I don't understand the question.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:53 pm I don't understand the question.
+1

Examples would help.

I eat a hot dog by taking a bite off one end and proceeding down the length of the dog. Is there another way to eat one?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Exodor wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:05 pm
Kraken wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:53 pm I don't understand the question.
+1

Examples would help.

I eat a hot dog by taking a bite off one end and proceeding down the length of the dog. Is there another way to eat one?
And the opening faces up so that the toppings don't fall off. This should not be hard to figure out.
Isgrimnur

Sideways or Top and Bottom?

Post by Isgrimnur »

I grew up on open-faced chili dogs served on sandwich bread.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:29 pm I grew up on open-faced chili dogs served on sandwich bread.
I do that when I have chili at home on mine.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Hot dog roll on the sides of the dog, though now that I think about it, I usually tilt my head so the top part of the roll is usually near the roof of my mouth.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

If you turn them sideways, all of the delicious raw onions fall off.
naednek

Post by naednek »

what a weird question and a weird way to eat a hot dog. And to top that off, taking you this long to realize that it's not the normal way to eat a hot dog.

Also, mayonnaise doesn't belong on a hot dog, yet my wife does it.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:50 pm Someone is going to have to explain to me the topology of a hotdog bun.

If I understand the OP correctly, the hot dogs below are "sideways". Meaning the top bun is on one side and the bottom is on the other. Below, the tops are on the left.
Enlarge Image

But I'm pretty sure they aren't meant to have tops and bottoms. That's just the result of how they bake them.

Ideally, a bun would be U-shaped with sides high enough to hold toppings. "New England" hot dog buns come tantalizingly close.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

What kind of monster would eat a hot dog with the open face towards the side where the toppings would fall off?

Count me in as not understanding the question either. It's like asking "Who else eats their tacos upside down?"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Also, mayonnaise doesn't belong on a hot dog, yet my wife does it.
Until a few years ago I thought this also. I grew up...thanks to mom...and hot dogs like at the ballpark...mustard only. And thats the way I ate them until I was about 10. Then I found chili was awesome on them, then onions and kraut. Then a few years ago I was low on mustard and tossed some mayo in with it. Wow. Amazing taste. I still dont always do it but to change it up I sometimes still do. I love mayo though and will eat a spoon out of the jar on a kitchen run.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've always eaten mine with the hot dog facing up. The 'default' is mustard, ketchup, and sweet relish.

Although I'm sure someone will be along to tell us that, like pizza, there is only one correct way to prepare a hot dog. :roll:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)

Post by Default »

Steak.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Thanks for explaining Lawbeef. What you listed is, indeed, correct. When I googled pictures of people eating hot dogs, there were several pictures of Obama eating a hot dog sideways (i.e. with the bun in a V shape). Betty White and Justin Bieber had pictures of them eating them with the top of the bun on top (with the bun in a C shape). There was one photo with someone eating a dog with the bottom of the bun on top.

I would expect anyone who puts more than ketchup and mustard on their hot dog to eat it sideways. What I find odd is that the buns are cut in a manner that makes the top of the bun much thicker than the bottom. While I didn't find the reason specifically for hot dog buns, I did find out why hamburger buns have a bigger top than bottom.
Spoiler:
Most hamburger buns purchased in the grocery store are approximately one and a quarter inches high. They are baked in molds that are half an inch high. Many bakeries slice the bun at this half-inch mark rather than the true midpoint. This is necessary because the tops of the hamburger buns puff up (three-quarters of an inch above the mold), and the top is relatively fragile. The lowest point of this fragile area is called the “shred line.” Slices made above the shred line tend to be less clean. One of the reasons that the bottoms of McDonald’s Big Mac buns stand up so well is that they are baked in one-inch molds, producing a higher shred line, so that they can be sliced at a proportionately higher point. The hamburger-bun tops are, in fact, much more important from a marketing point of view. Nothing pleases browsers at the bakery shelf more than buns with a pronounced mushroom top. Because the mushroom top is above the shred line, bakers must decide between good looks and practicality when it comes time to slice the buns—guess which one they choose.
I also found that there were two different styles of hot dog buns. New England style (which are top loading) and sideways style which could be why some people don't understand the question.
Spoiler:
There are two basic types: top-loading New England-style hot dog buns[2] or lobster buns in some areas, and side-loading, common in the rest of the United States also called American Style Buns. The advantages to a top loader are that it holds the hot dog securely and fits nicely into little three-sided paper boxes. Top loaders are generally baked side by side and torn apart as needed, leaving a flat side surface for grilling; however it is debatable as to whether this is actually an advantage over the U-shaped underside (similar to a submarine hull) of side loaders which are able to fit snugly between grills, providing deep heating to the sausage.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

naednek wrote: Also, mayonnaise doesn't belong on a hot dog, yet my wife does it.
I don’t always put mayonnaise on my hotdogs, but when I do I question why I usually don’t. Mayonnaise + ketchup makes everything better.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There are two basic types:

Three. New England style, American style, and piece-of-bread-folded-around-the-hot-dog style.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

It has to be sideways because the hot dogs I eat have stuff on them, stuff which will fall off if I hold the hot dog with the open side on the left or right. If you like your weeners naked then it wouldn't matter.

Try eating this in the updown orientation

Enlarge Image
Holman

Post by Holman »

???!

Hot dog with tomato slices and avocado fails the Turing Test.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I love me some plain hotdogs with mustard, but I also like sausage with hotpeppers and onions and all sorts of stuff. Avocado and Tomato (normally it would be diced. Tomato is not that unusual a condiment for hotdogs) sounds like fun.

The problem is that hotdogs are just not quality meat, so trying to turn them into something other than fast, cheap, crap food is a waste of time. If you're going to spend the time and money on "good" condiments, you should probably start with something that isn't meat slurry scrapped up off the slaughter house floor.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:25 am Thanks for explaining Lawbeef. What you listed is, indeed, correct. When I googled pictures of people eating hot dogs, there were several pictures of Obama eating a hot dog sideways (i.e. with the bun in a V shape). Betty White and Justin Bieber had pictures of them eating them with the top of the bun on top (with the bun in a C shape). There was one photo with someone eating a dog with the bottom of the bun on top.
So let me get this straight. You found this image:

and walked away thinking "oh, I guess lots of normal people eat hot dogs that way!"
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

wonderpug wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:44 pmSo let me get this straight. You found this image...
Jeebus man, Spoiler that before hepcat finds it.

When I have a vegan hot dog, I eat it horizontally. Not from the top, not from the bottom. It's parallel with the ground when it enters my mouth.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

E) None of the above.

There's a bakery in my old 'hood that sells hotdogs (Daisy Brand) entombed in a bakery roll. They also sell similarly prepared polish sausage encased in a rye roll.

When adding condiments, you just need to cut an incision into the roll. If you don't make a hack job out of it, you could probably eat the thing cut facing down if you wanted as the condiments are distributed 360 degrees within the roll.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

You meant the way you hold the bun? Until I saw that picture I was trying to imagine a world in which people ate a dog with bun crevice on the bottom but eat if from the top the down. I was flummoxed.

For me a hot dog is something you eat slathered with chili, so it is necessarily containerized and dispensed one bite a time or eaten with a fork. Hot dogs are not finger food.

A coney dispenser is like this only one end is cut out and the dog slides as you eat for mess containment.

Enlarge Image
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe next year, maybe no go
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:07 am Although I'm sure someone will be along to tell us that, like pizza, there is only one correct way to prepare a hot dog. :roll:
I am sure you weren't surprised that JeffV was the one who chimed in first with a "none of the above".

Also, hot dogs are very much finger food, LM. Sure, they can be slathered in chili, but barring some overly obnoxious amount of chili, I'm still eating a chili dog with my hands.
Hodor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:06 am Also, hot dogs are very much finger food, LM. Sure, they can be slathered in chili, but barring some overly obnoxious amount of chili, I'm still eating a chili dog with my hands.
An overly obnoxious amount of chili precise measurement you are supposed to use. There should be more chili than there is dog and possibly bun. Also there is likely to be chili carry over from chili cheese fries on the plate.

Enlarge Image
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

That is a hot dog I would totally eat with my hands.
Hodor.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yep, that's a hand-dog.

Chili dogs are like ribs. You just accept that you're going to get messy and go with it.
morlac

Post by morlac »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:11 pm That is a hot dog I would totally eat with my hands.
Yep. 2 of them.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

morlac wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:58 pm
pr0ner wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:11 pm That is a hot dog I would totally eat with my hands.
Yep. 2 of them.
2 hands, or 2 hot dogs? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hodor.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Confession time:. I eat chilli dogs (which I absolutely love) with a knife and fork.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:24 am
Enlarge Image
"Two up, no onions!"
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Z-Corn wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:59 pm
Enlarge Image
"Two up, no onions!"
wiz witout?
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

wonderpug wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:06 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:59 pm
Enlarge Image
"Two up, no onions!"
wiz witout?
That's mustard. You'll find no cheese on a coney. Just on top of the chili on the fries.

I eat mine with a fork.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I swear I saw this posted on OO somewhere but I can't find it.
Enlarge Image

Video(SFW)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Z-Corn wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:07 pm
That's mustard. You'll find no cheese on a coney. Just on top of the chili on the fries.

I eat mine with a fork.
Ding. I used to go witout onions but that changed over time.

That bun will fail less than halfway through handling, let alone the mess I would make if it didn't fall apart.

I'm wondering if Coneys (chili dogs if you must) are served differently in different parts of the country.

1) You don't use ballpark franks or their ilk. You use much thinner tightly packed sausage, which tastes waaaay better. The tightly packed sausage means you have to chew in to your dog, making spilling much more likely.
2) The buns are steamed which give them a higher likely hood to fall apart.
3) All that extra room in the bun where thick ass hot supermarket hotdog isn't, is filled with a heavy thick chili, There's likely a good 3/4 cup there just waiting for any exit it can find.

Dammit. Now I want one.
Last edited by LordMortis on Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.