Warhammer Inquisitor

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jaddison

Warhammer Inquisitor

Post by Jaddison »

Grim Dawn and the fantasy setting was getting a little stale so picked this up.

Only a little bit into it since of course I need to play at least 1 of each of the major classes.

I like the setting. The 3 classes play very differently and it looks like even the subclasses will play very differently within the class.

Only minor complaint so far is that the camera does not auto rotate with you when you take a major turn in a corridor- seems odd that it doesn't stay over the shoulder and I can;t find it as a setting to turn on- I have to rotate it myself
Fretmute

Re: Warhammer Inquisitor

Post by Fretmute »

Jaddison wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:46 pmOnly minor complaint so far is that the camera does not auto rotate with you when you take a major turn in a corridor- seems odd that it doesn't stay over the shoulder and I can;t find it as a setting to turn on- I have to rotate it myself
The camera operates in what I'd consider to be the standard ARPG way. I like to keep North in the same direction, so to speak.

I like the idea of this, but the implementation leaves me wanting. The entire point of the ARPG genre is to provide a loot pinata, and the way that the drops are handled here seems very unsatisfying. It also seems (and I could be wrong, since I didn't get very far) that all of the talents are various passive boots, and all of the active skills are tied directly to the weapon classes and armor that you have equipped. I feel that there isn't going to be a whole lot of depth to the builds.

Of course, Grim Dawn was insanely deep, but that's now the standard by which I judge this sort of game.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

How do you manually rotate the camera? I couldn't figure it out.
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Lorini wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:37 pm How do you manually rotate the camera? I couldn't figure it out.
Click and drag with the middle mouse.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Please keep impressions rolling. This has been on my wishlist for some time now, but reluctant to pull the trigger.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

I have only made it through the first set of missions because of my alt-itis and needing to try the classes.

So far I an enjoying it a lot. I like have my abilities be tied to what I have equipped as it prevents me having ability overload- just my preference.
Different weapons have significantly different abilities.

Each class plays very differently- just tried the Psyker and it is my favorite so far- which I would not have guessed at all. The two different staffs I have and the different abilities are a lot of fun.

As far as loot goes I think I like getting loot at the end of the mission and not having tons of worthless drops- again just preference of keeping it simple or easier. Maybe farther down the road this will be an issue.

I have unlocked abilities that were not passive. Looks like there a lot of ways to build- perks, skill points, ability points all opening up new things. Haven't gotten to crafting yet so not sure how that will play out.

Overall I like the non-fantasy setting so far.

Oh the map rotates when you rotate the camera so it is all relative even the map- I just like to rotate to have enemies or movement towards relative 000
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

A little farther on now.

I have learned that story is way too easy. Challenge mode is much better though I only do regular challenge mode. There are 4 levels of challenge mode. You can't switch mode mid-mission but you get choose before each mission

Like Van Helsing there is a lot to do besides the main campaign and decisions to be made on some missions.

Having tooled around with alts I am finally ready to move forward.

For my psykers I just figured out I get to augment my powers in different ways
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

There are a lot of mixed reviews on WInq, so I thought I'd throw in my two cents. This games primary sin seems to be that it isn't D3.

Graphics - The graphics did not blow me away, though they're on par with other ARPGs. Neocore, however, nailed the atmosphere. I'm not a WH4K fanboy, so I'm probably even missing out on some of the flavor. I love the fact the camera rotates.

Sound - Meh. Some of the voice acting is cringe-worthy, though the voice for the main I'm playing (Psyker) is excellent. I'm not a huge fan of the music, though I see what they were going for. Music has different flairs of church music, such as monk chants or organs.

Gameplay - While it looks like other ARPGs, the pacing is much different. Once I accepted the pacing was different and embraced it, such as actually using the cover system (which many reviewers eschewed), I found it to be highly enjoyable. I have had those moments of pure destructive joy as my Inquisitor cuts through an entire swarm of baddies like a knife through butter. I've also had some running ranged fights, falling back and using cover against higher level enemies (which was a totally cool experience I never had in D3).

Depth - Let me caveat this, I don't have a max level character. There is a ton of depth in this game. There are skills and mods to those skills that need to be opened up. There are attributes, which can significantly change how the character plays. The crafting system seems very deep, though the materials seem to come very slow. There's glory, influence and a lot going on here that I won't even try to do justice to. I think I finally have a handle on everything, but it took a while to figure out. I remain impressed by the depth.

Overall, I don't regret for a moment spending the money on this game. If you're looking for a new ARPG and can accept WInq is not D3 (nor is it trying to be), I'd say go for it.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Anyone played coop? Assuming you can play coop? Any synergies or fun things that multiple players bring out in the game?
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

This game earned a post from a dude who averages one every other year, so that says something!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The man knows how to lurk.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:35 pm The man knows how to lurk.
He's in it for the long game.

I'm starting to suspect he's a plant, put there by the company to promote their game. Years in the future.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:43 pm I'm starting to suspect he's a plant, put there by the company to promote their game. Years in the future.
There's plants, and then there's Cedar Redwoods.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

'xactly. It's "next level" marketing. Soon it will be a generational thing. One generation produces PR for the next generation to grow up and be influenced by.

Also, how's the coop?
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Goo I have not done any coop since our D3 group. I can see the classes playing off each other fairly well in this for coop. There are great tanks, great long and medium range type builds though builds in this have a lot to do with weapons as each weapon has its own set of "powers" that range from individual to area affect. The special skills for characters would also be able to work well based on diversity.

I like the fact that it isn't D3 and doesn't try to be.

Just got to crafting, alt-itis sucks for moving through character levels quickly
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I also suffer from alt-itis and tend to play to death any game with strategic depth and a variety of diverse character classes.

I was only mildly interested in the game but that's changing to piqued curiosity.
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

I'm posting this for one reason and one reason only, to work towards improving my post rate to once a year. I love this message board, but I am a lurker.

This will probably come as a shock, but I have not played coop.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Here's a video review that I absolutely love. All business, good insight, no hype or false enthusiasm.

Just straight up facts even when talking about how things feel, from swinging a sword to the repetitive sound effects in combat.

Just a great, great review that despite being filled with caveats and game failings, has done wonders to my interest levels in the game.

The game intentionally designed to be the opposite of D3, which in a word means slow. Coop, apparently, suffers from being too slow (single player is not too slow) due to the nature of monster scaling.

I like slow, but multiplayer needs to be a bit faster to keep 4 different players doing 4 different things from getting bored.

Even that doesn't put me off however.

Here's the review:

Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

I've got 59 hours in......and a max level of 11 on my sword and board/Great axe crusader. His description of combat is spot on.......though I don't think he appreciates how psykers and can dish out damage and use cover. They have attacks that ignore cover but the warp heat thing really does make you pay attention.

I guess I am not sophisticated enough to worry about sound effects all that much- when i combat I have to pay full attention to what is going on (after switching to challenge mode....in story mode you can pretty much wade into anything and not worry)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The impression I got was more like a long haul truck driver. You need sound variation despite doing the same thing over and over otherwise your ear and subconscious picks up on the "sameness" and drones you to sleep.

Chances are I wouldn't even notice it for the first 10-20 hours, but by 100 it would start to wear thin. Probably.

That said, it's a super easy thing to fix with a patch if they decide it's worth improving and they have the money.

One of the reasons speed aoe builds are popular in other games is the speed at which you're improving your character. If the combat is slower, the rewards need to be higher to account for that, otherwise it's grindy (aren't all arpgs) without the carrot or hamster pellet dropping often enough.

How does the progression feel? I'm sure it's slow, but hopefully not too slow.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Okay, thanks Goo. This game will now forever be known to me as "Warhamster Inquisitor".
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

having only gotten to 11 I find the progression pretty good. You unlock abilities to wield different weapon types, you get the innoculator tailoring at 9 I think so that "health" potions can do different things that you get to choose. You can do side missions whenever you want no need to plow through campaign and side missions become sort necessary because I hit a campaign mission that I was over matched for at my current level and I wasn't shifting to story mode cakewalk to complete.
They also have you compete for glory in star systems that unlock perks and you can even become the overlord.....but I don't know what that gives you but you are competing against other players for this.
They had a world event for a week where you got prizes for how much you participated....I ended up getting some orange weapons that are very rare drops.
So there is a lot going on and lots of ways to tweak your character into different builds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Freyland wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:50 pm Okay, thanks Goo. This game will now forever be known to me as "Warhamster Inquisitor".
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Freyland wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:50 pm Okay, thanks Goo. This game will now forever be known to me as "Warhamster Inquisitor".
I like.

For the record, the hamster pellet was a reference to ARPG's, not WH specifically. ARPGs and MMO's are designed around the concept of balanced rewards for grinding. Too fast and too many people reach the end and quit. Too slow and people lose interest and quit.

The pellet machine has to give the player his endorphin boost at the right pacing otherwise the wheels fall off and everyone realizes they are playing a treadmill. But when a game gets it right? Oh what a treadmill it is!
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Still plugging away...slowly. Got a couple of characters to 15.

I did not think I would like the Assassin Infiltrator class but deleted a character and tried one anyway and it has become my favorite. Very stealth centric and a killing machine. For most weapon types it has a jump attack that is devastating and then you can just keep pummeling plus get an AOE in on others.

Overall has a lot going on with side missions, investigations plus the main story line.

Psykers still have the most tuneable characters because each "power" has up to 3 slots where you can add tweaks to the power like lower warp heat or add stun, overall about 20-30 different types of add-ins that unlock as you level or put points in skill trees.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

25% off on steam atm.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Still enjoying it Jaddison?

See Humble Bundle has it for about 15 bucks cheaper than Steam, but no reason is given. Doesn't appear to be on sale or anything. Just a cheaper list price. Actually about 10 bucks cheaper plus my monthly subscriber discount of 10%.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:07 pm Still enjoying it Jaddison?

See Humble Bundle has it for about 15 bucks cheaper than Steam, but no reason is given. Doesn't appear to be on sale or anything. Just a cheaper list price. Actually about 10 bucks cheaper plus my monthly subscriber discount of 10%.
Not to speak for Jaddison, but I can offer my opinion:
On the whole I think it's a slightly above average ARPG, it's no Diablo or Path of Exiles, but it's decent. I think long term enjoyment will depend on how much you like the 40K setting though.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Sepiche wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:25 pm

On the whole I think it's a slightly above average ARPG, it's no Diablo or Path of Exiles, but it's decent. I think long term enjoyment will depend on how much you like the 40K setting though.
As my daughter is wont to say, I "lurve" WH40K.

On that note, is Path of Exiles really that good?
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:36 pm As my daughter is wont to say, I "lurve" WH40K.

If you like the setting there's a lot to enjoy. The lore is well done and it's pretty fun to stomp around in powered armor or blow stuff up as a psyker.

Yeah, as far as ARPGs go I like Path of Exiles quite a bit, but most importantly for the price it's amazing.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Update: I now have a level 44 and am on, finally, to the next chapter.

I had to grind to go from about a 970 over effectiveness number to the required 1100 to be able to access the next chapter next major system.

I love the action so the grind wasn't too bad and you can get a ton of experience and great gear doing Tarot missions. In these you can select what type of gear you want and then add additional "minor" cards to make it harder but get better chances at gear etc. To run Tarot you spend your glory points which are earned for completing missions (the amount varies by how hard the missions is but somewhere between 9 and 18 unless you are running at insane levels of difficulty)

One thing that there isn't is the loot variability of Diablo or similar ARPGs. There are rare items but they basically just have good stats- no special powers, names or look. You can customize these by taking other artifact level gear and fusing it which will add a new stat to your already studly artifact.

You can absolutely customize your character using the traits and trait points. My two handed weapon wielding Crusader has the special power for both HPs and Defense and this guy can survive almost any onslaught long enough to deal damage escape recuperate and jump back in.

Overall it is fun for me.......not sure about the new content as I only just made it into the new chapter yesterday but in first mission I ran into something that kicked my ass as it was doing the backflip escapes and things my assassin does and it was definitely different
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:36 pm
Sepiche wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:25 pm

As my daughter is wont to say, I "lurve" WH40K.

I typically love ARPG's. Spent as much time with Diablo as probably any other series not named Final Fantasy. Oddly, Path of Exiles has never really clicked with me after multiple attempts. Between the utterly ridiculous skill tree and the oddly random difficulty spikes, I always got turned off within the first few hours.

Weird, I know.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:18 pm. . . the utterly ridiculous skill tree . . .
That's why I've bailed every time I've tried to play. I get min/max paralysis around level 3.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I'll admit the skill tree is nuts, but once you embrace it a bit it's a lot of fun. You just kind of need to decide what bonuses and abilities you want on your character and start heading toward nodes that increase that.

I think in a fairly recent update they added the ability to search for specific bonuses across the whole tree to help with managing that.

If you want an easy, fun build to try PoE out, go with the witch, get skeleton and zombie summon skills as soon as you can, and shoot for the skill tree nodes that boost your summoned creatures.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Spent 3 missions getting the keybindings somewhere where I can tolerate them. Return to the game only to find all keybindings have returned to default values.

W.T.F.

edit: Known problem. No fix. No word on a future fix. This is game breaking for me. I can't imagine reconfiguring 75% (I didn't touch or use the other 25%) of the keybindings each time I want to play.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Campaign is interesting. Lore based exploration of a Derelict ship that has ties to the Inquisition but hasn't been seen in centuries due to being swallowed by a warpstorm/warpsurge(?). You can imagine what spending time in the warp does to an empty ship (wasn't empty originally, so wtf happened? Inquisition time!)

Small spoiler
Spoiler:
When you arrive you realize you're not the first Inquisitor sent to investigate, but no one thought it important to inform you of that fact. What's going on? dun dun dah....
The Ship is called the Martyr, which sort of explains the unwieldy name of the game.

Leveling is slow in the campaign. Difficulty is too easy, although every ARPG I've ever played starts out trivial and gets harder from there. I'm playing a heavy gunner which I think adds to the easy. Almost nothing gets into melee range.

I'm struggling with the cover system, and with the game being so easy so far, there hasn't been any real pressure to take cover, so that's still a mystery to me. I mean, I've played cover shooters before, and this in theory is the same, but sometimes I can't get my guy to peek and/or shoot from cover, which may or may not be intentional game design. Sometimes it works exactly as you'd expect. Take cover, peek/shoot, stop peeking. Other times it's take cover/stand still while the enemy flanks your position.

I'm only lvl 3 or 4 but I'm already ready to try another class (this is normal for me. I love trying all the different classes in a game). Whether it will be a pure melee crusader or the caster equivalent Psyker or the dodgy Assassin class, I haven't decided yet.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Chapter 2 of the campaign has you off ship and chasing someone with enough know how to heal a recovered dude so you can interrogate him.

I have no idea how suppression works. Like, none. It is its own system, with a rating, recovery and damage. What does it do? Should I care? Who knows? So far I have noticed no in game indicators of it affecting anything. Could I be missing something? I'm absolutely sure I am. But what?

The "skills" you have to fight with are all supplied by the gear you equip. So shotguns have a mass spread aoe knockdown, autoguns have full auto or single round snipe shot, etc, etc. The autogun also has a "full auto while moving away from target" shot that works great on swarms. Normally using a weapon involves standing still, but this particular "skill" allows for non-stop firing while maintaining distance. Neat.

There is a little circle around the base of your character, with a semi-circle of pips/dots that turns to face whichever way you're facing. What is that? Who knows? Is it related to suppression or defense? Maybe. Only the Inquisition knows for sure.

On the mini-map I can see flashing circles on the edges indicating points of interest (I assume) if you head in that direction. Some are purple, some are red. Do they differentiate between mission objectives and optional objectives? Who knows? Maybe none of the above.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Mission 5 - Searching a snow covered planet for my missing medic/doctor/scientist/magician. I encountered a tougher Chaos dude (didn't catch what he was). I had to blow through a number of cool downs, healing items and such to deal with him and his minions and tarantula turrets. Much harder fight, but still no real risk/danger.

Things are getting tougher.

Purple mini-map circles seem to indicate optional missions tasks. Just did a "defend the cargo" mission that was middling difficult. Cargo didn't get below 50% damage but I was scrambling to keep up with the incoming waves. Not sure how a melee only character would have succeeded.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Oh, this is probably an important one. There is a "tactical mode" which when activated shows a faint circle on the ground indicating your weapon range. It's cool and I leave it on all the time. My first thought was "tactical mode" means "show weapon range" but in the options there are a number of things you can configure between "default mode" and "tactical mode" such as whether HP is displayed, whether hits show graphically and so on. This seems needlessly complicated unless there is something else going on between "default" and "tactical" modes.

What does Tactical do, if anything, besides the configurable items in options? Who knows? Maybe nothing? I'm sure it's important though. Maybe.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I regret that the game is played at a certain camera range, which means you don't actually see a lot of the detail on the enemies. Which is too bad as they are pretty good looking in their horror. Oddly, I find the details on your character between missions slightly lacking. I've come to expect some pretty intricate detail on space marine armor and such from other games, and in this game the models almost seem too basic. This could be changed by more detailed textures, but they aren't.

So on the one hand I find the character details not detailed enough on screens where you have the time and camera zoom to enjoy them, and too detailed during gameplay when things are zoomed out and frantic. It's weird.

You can zoom in during gameplay to get a better view of the enemy but that tends to have a negative effect on your situational awareness.

I don't know because I'm not a WH40K expert, but a lot of the chaos things I'm killing feel non-canonical. Chaos dreadnaughts or marines seem typical, but some of the other weirdness I don't recognize. But like I said, I have no idea, it just "feels" off. I have no experience with Nurgle but the nurglings feel typical for WH40K, it's other things, I guess.