[Obsidian] Tyranny

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lordnine

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by Lordnine »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:29 pm

Also as far as speaking to my one party member and interacting with the NPC soldiers around this area I am at a loss as to what is good and what is bad. I dont want to be an all goody goody. In fact I want to play evil and support Kyros's will but also toss in a little kindness along the way.
Tyranny doesn’t do “Good” and “Bad” the way most games do. It’s more about being “Stern but Just” or “Cruel and Corrupt”. Options for outright “goodness” do open up as the game goes on but you are still largely the police force of a dark overlord. The other thing is the factions under the overlords rule don’t like each other at all, so you are never going to make everyone happy with your actions. It’s better to be feared and respected than loved. :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I started out thinking I knew how this was going to go and which clan I was going to support more. But as I play Im finding both clans total morons and assholes and Im having a LOT more fun being rude to them both and forcing my will upon them. Sometimes I pick a merchant over them. That really miffs them off :) If they disobey or get mad enough to attack me I kill them.

Kyros' will be done. Or you will die. Hail Kyros!
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

And done. It took a little while to warm up to the game, but I was able to finish it. Fighting got a lot easier once I realized I could pause the game and issue orders (i.e., micromanage) their actions as needed.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Finished this up last night after picking it up in a recent humble bundle. I *really* enjoyed, despite having pretty much no knowledge of what it was. Combat was a little slow as I ended up with two tanks because I mained a tank and then stuck with the first three companions you run into. There was little combat in the end as they mostly bent the knee to me. I guess I make a good tyrant.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

The air went out of my tires on this game after carrying out the initial edict. Not sure why, the writing's good and the combat is fun, but just... poof.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Steam says 24 hours, which is a bit shorter than I expected but I think it was about right. It would have been faster if I had noticed/used the accelerated movement before Act III.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jackalope

Post by jackalope »

Liked the main story, really enjoyed the worldbuilding and lore, but was kinda upset with DLC (which is unpronounceable due to censorship on youtube). Side quests were good, Barricks and Verse storylines as well, but I've never met so many bugs in the vanilla game. Frustrating.
check out my blog with foosball reviews
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I ended up deleting it a good ways back. Planned to return one day. As things are now I doubt I ever will again.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

NickAragua wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:00 am The air went out of my tires on this game after carrying out the initial edict. Not sure why, the writing's good and the combat is fun, but just... poof.
Same here. I've actually restarted it three times hoping it would click, but it just never does. Like you, I can't really put my finger on why...I always just sort of wander off 7-8 hours in.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

It really worked for me. But I did find that this was a game that I definitely had to role-play right from the start. I established my 'moral compass' and end goal from the start and stuck to it. With most RPGs I tend to treat each interaction with the goal of maximizing whatever short term gain I can get as long as it's not evil.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Two years later, having picked it up for free on Epic (plus the DLC, also free), I finally plowed through it. This time, the story clicked for me a little bit better. Path of the Damned difficulty. Sword and board fighter. Right off the bat, I decided that both of the Overlord's factions were either incompetent or traitorous or both and threw in with the Vendrien Guard. Time to enforce the Overlord's will over this nonsense.
Spoiler:
Turns out the Voices of Nerat basically funneled weapons and intel to the rebels. I didn't find anything particularly treacherous about the Disfavored, but they're obnoxious blowhards. In the end, I killed all the other archons (apparently you can convince some of them to join you? whoops), and proclaimed loyalty to Kyros, ushering a new age of peace across the world. At sword-point and with a fireball in hand, but that's how it goes.
I played a sword + board fighter, with Verse as my melee DPS and Lantry as healer. Once I got Eb, she replaced Barik and became my ranged DPS. The other characters (Sirin, the beastwoman) got no play time at all, so I probably missed out on a bunch of stuff, but eh.

Initially, combat was extremely difficult - the enemies would basically make a bee-line for Lantry, ignoring engagement, whack him to death, then finish the rest of the party. I felt this was extremely cheap, so I resorted to exploiting flaws in the AI - you can use a ranged weapon to pull a couple of guys off a pack and run pretty far away - some of the pursuers would peel off, leaving me facing a smaller sub group, which I could handle. The most difficult part was the boss fight in the Ascension Hall, where I couldn't create the distance to peel the Chorus guys off one or two at a time and kept getting overwhelmed. Eventually, I made a sacrifice play - one of my party members (pretty sure it was Eb) got left in the center of the hall and promptly murdered, while everyone else pulled out of sight. That let me peel off the bad guys one by one and take them down.

Another super difficult boss fight was the super Bane (I already forget the name) in one of the Oldwalls. Not only did the son of a bitch have about a million HP, he'd summon Bane buddies every time he reached 75%/50%/25% health, who'd overrun my guys. Worse, it'd occasionally absorb one of the reinforcement Bane, which let it either heal up or buff up attacks. Eventually, I was able to use the Bane essences to improve my armor and settled on a) focusing down the reinforcements quickly and b) getting out of the way of his powerful attacks.

Other than those boss fights, the Disfavored are probably the most annoying enemy, because of that stupid regeneration power that kicks in once they get hurt. Eventually, if you kill enough of them, you get an ability that disables that specific type of regeneration, but that only happened for me near the end of the game.

Eventually, the party leveled up enough that I was able to take on normal groups of enemies - the trick was lots of line and cone magic that inflicted stun/knockdown/confusion/etc. I still usually pulled sub-groups away from each main group, and took down the mages/rogues first (pretty easy to tell apart, the tanky guys all have shields), but between everyone in my party, I could pretty much keep whole groups stun-locked/knocked down/debuffed and take them down one at a time while the rest staggered around. I do wish there was an option to auto-cast buffs before start of combat, but I guess that's not happening.

I guess there's some kind of new game+ mode, but I don't think I want to plow through that game again right now. It was a lot of fun once everything clicked, but I'm not really sure how much replay value there is - I suppose I could pick a new set of allies (go with the Disfavored or the Chorus or on my own), but I don't expect that to change much. Nor do I really feel like siding with one of those two, while the "on your own" path is basically "kill everyone", which seems mildly boring.
Black Lives Matter