Alefroth

Re: Russia influences election

Post by Alefroth »

em2nought wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:15 am Not a bot I am. :wink:
Yep, you don't have that as an excuse.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

em2nought wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:15 am I hope we dump those weak NATO allies and form a new alliance with the Ruskies. After all, they were good enough for FDR even after a purge. :roll:

Not a bot I am. :wink:
I thought you served in the military? I'm surprised to see you wanting to swear allegiance to another country in light of that.

Ah well, when watching the original Red Dawn, I always cheered for the U.S of A. I guess you cheered for mother Russia. :mrgreen:
Covfefe!
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

LawBeefaroni wrote:I think that's all putting too much weight on not voting Democrats. The biggest problem is the assumption that they outnumber non-voting "deplorable" and Republicans. Because they'll turn out too.

It's not like "if we do this, we will surely win.". It's like "if we do this, there's a chance that we win." But don't count on it.
It's not really an assumption, Trump lost the popular election by 3million votes. Turnout was still relatively low compared to other countries.

Fwiw the professional democrats whose podcasts listen to are firmly in the activate non voters above but not instead of convincing on the fence Republicans. The people involved are mostly ex Obama and Clinton staffers.

A link to the media company's podcasts they're good albeit not straight journalism.
https://lists.pocketcasts.com/3119c51a- ... 8181e5ec2c

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Combustible Lemur wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:41 am
LawBeefaroni wrote:I think that's all putting too much weight on not voting Democrats. The biggest problem is the assumption that they outnumber non-voting "deplorable" and Republicans. Because they'll turn out too.

It's not like "if we do this, we will surely win.". It's like "if we do this, there's a chance that we win." But don't count on it.
It's not really an assumption, Trump lost the popular election by 3million votes. Turnout was still relatively low compared to other countries.

Fwiw the professional democrats whose podcasts listen to are firmly in the activate non voters above but not instead of convincing on the fence Republicans. The people involved are mostly ex Obama and Clinton staffers.

A link to the media company's podcasts they're good albeit not straight journalism.
https://lists.pocketcasts.com/3119c51a- ... 8181e5ec2c

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
If I had to rank the priorities for Democratic campaigns this year, it'd be:

1) Presidential year Democratic voters who don't vote in midterms
2) Female Obama-Trump or third-party voters
3) Non-voters who would vote Democratic if they vote
4) Male Obama-Trump or third-party voters
5) Regular Trump voters
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
raydude

Post by raydude »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:27 am
em2nought wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:15 am I hope we dump those weak NATO allies and form a new alliance with the Ruskies. After all, they were good enough for FDR even after a purge. :roll:

I thought you served in the military? I'm surprised to see you wanting to swear allegiance to another country in light of that.

Ah well, when watching the original Red Dawn, I always cheered for the U.S of A. I guess you cheered for mother Russia. :mrgreen:
I thought about Red Dawn the other day. If it were remade now the Russians could probably win if they didn't team up with Cuba or Latin America and just sent the military hailing from Northern and Central Russia. The teenage Wolverines in the MidWest would find themselves fighting with the older men in militia groups.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

34 years ago, a KGB defector chillingly described America today

.. President Putin is a very experienced former KGB officer. He has both the know-how and the intelligence to carry out very far-sighted and ingenious operations. We don’t know his endgame and neither do we know how much of his KGB training he still employs, but in light of current events, there may be a way for us to get a deeper understanding by studying the words of Yuri Alexandrovich Bezmenov, a former KGB agent who defected to Canada in 1970.
Bezmenov made the point that the work of the KGB mainly does not involve espionage, despite what our popular culture may tell us. Most of the work, 85% of it, was “a slow process which we call either ideological subversion, active measures, or psychological warfare.”
“What it basically means is: to change the perception of reality of every American to such an extent that despite of the abundance of information no one is able to come to sensible conclusions in the interest of defending themselves, their families, their community, and their country.”
“As I mentioned before, exposure to true information does not matter anymore,” said Bezmenov. “A person who was demoralized is unable to assess true information. The facts tell nothing to him. Even if I shower him with information, with authentic proof, with documents, with pictures; even if I take him by force to the Soviet Union and show him [a] concentration camp, he will refuse to believe it, until he [receives] a kick in his fan-bottom. When a military boot crashes his balls then he will understand. But not before that. That's the [tragedy] of the situation of demoralization.”
Once demoralization is completed, the second stage of ideological brainwashing is “destabilization”. During this two-to-five-year period, asserted Bezmenov, what matters is the targeting of essential structural elements of a nation: economy, foreign relations, and defense systems. Basically, the subverter (Russia) would look to destabilize every one of those areas in the United States, considerably weakening it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Trump today:
Trump: “Thank you very much everybody. We’re doing very well, probably as well as anybody has ever done with Russia. There’s been no President ever as tough as I have been on Russia.
:lol:

Did he mean to say "enchanted" instead of "tough"?
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:

We all know who he cheered for in Rocky IV...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

noxiousdog wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:39 pm
Alefroth wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:16 pm We don't need to change deplorables, we just need to get off our lazy asses and vote in enough numbers that they don't matter. We outnumber them, we just need to use that.
:obscene-drinkingcheers:

This is how it's done. Also try to convince them to call their Congress(wo)men.
Also, fragment the blue states into new states in order to outnumber the red states until they concede that the Electoral College is a bad idea.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Paingod wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:50 am
Alefroth wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:16 pm We don't need to change deplorables, we just need to get off our lazy asses and vote in enough numbers that they don't matter. We outnumber them, we just need to use that.

Also, fragment the blue states into new states in order to outnumber the red states until they concede that the Electoral College is a bad idea.
I like it. Make it so!
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

A poker buddy says that the way out of all of this is to declare War on Canada.

And then immediately and completely surrender. Free healthcare for all! No more pesky southern border crossings (Detroit only). Better hockey coverage. Seems a win win win to me.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
stessier

Post by stessier »

The Meal wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:10 am A poker buddy says that the way out of all of this is to declare War on Canada.

And then immediately and completely surrender. Free healthcare for all! No more pesky southern border crossings (Detroit only). Better hockey coverage. Seems a win win win to me.
Sorry, Canadian bacon becoming the dominant form makes this a nonstarter for me.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

"Subversive bacon" has a nice ring to it though, eh?
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The Meal wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:10 am A poker buddy says that the way out of all of this is to declare War on Canada.

:lol:
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stessier wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:15 am

Sorry, Canadian bacon becoming the dominant form makes this a nonstarter for me.
Canadian bacon in Canada is different than Canadian bacon in the US. Another reason Canada should be game for war.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The new cover of Time Magazine. Enjoy the nightmares!

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Defiant wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:25 pm 34 years ago, a KGB defector chillingly described America today

.. President Putin is a very experienced former KGB officer. He has both the know-how and the intelligence to carry out very far-sighted and ingenious operations. We don’t know his endgame and neither do we know how much of his KGB training he still employs, but in light of current events, there may be a way for us to get a deeper understanding by studying the words of Yuri Alexandrovich Bezmenov, a former KGB agent who defected to Canada in 1970.
Bezmenov made the point that the work of the KGB mainly does not involve espionage, despite what our popular culture may tell us. Most of the work, 85% of it, was “a slow process which we call either ideological subversion, active measures, or psychological warfare.”
“What it basically means is: to change the perception of reality of every American to such an extent that despite of the abundance of information no one is able to come to sensible conclusions in the interest of defending themselves, their families, their community, and their country.”
“As I mentioned before, exposure to true information does not matter anymore,” said Bezmenov. “A person who was demoralized is unable to assess true information. The facts tell nothing to him. Even if I shower him with information, with authentic proof, with documents, with pictures; even if I take him by force to the Soviet Union and show him [a] concentration camp, he will refuse to believe it, until he [receives] a kick in his fan-bottom. When a military boot crashes his balls then he will understand. But not before that. That's the [tragedy] of the situation of demoralization.”
Once demoralization is completed, the second stage of ideological brainwashing is “destabilization”. During this two-to-five-year period, asserted Bezmenov, what matters is the targeting of essential structural elements of a nation: economy, foreign relations, and defense systems. Basically, the subverter (Russia) would look to destabilize every one of those areas in the United States, considerably weakening it.
All going according to plan.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

DIfferent bacons, U.S.'s version is wrong. Casus belli established.
Now how do we get Canada to act?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The Meal wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:10 am And then immediately and completely surrender.
You really think we could out-surrender the surrender monkeys in Quebec? The French have much experience!
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Archinerd wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:30 am DIfferent bacons, U.S.'s version is wrong. Casus belli established.
Now how do we get Canada to act?
Woah, uncanny.

MYT
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Putin Gets Trump To Say There Are Five Lights On Very First Attempt
“If my friend Vladimir says there are five lights, then there must have been five lights.”
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:04 am
Paingod wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:50 am

I like it. Make it so!
If only it were that easy- https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/07/18/ ... -in-three/
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:30 am
The Meal wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:10 am And then immediately and completely surrender.
You really think we could out-surrender the surrender monkeys in Quebec? The French have much experience!
France is in Europe, Jeff.
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isn't Russia dead to rights in Brexit too? Many of the same players.

MYT
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:51 am Trump: Russia Is a Friend, Journalists Are the Enemy.

Nothing to worry about here.
You stopped early.
Implementing some of the things discussed... nuclear proliferation, cyber attacks...
I’m taking this to mean expanded nuclear weapons and more cyber attacks, since he modified “terrorism” with “stopping”, but did not with these two.

Twitter diplomacy is dumb.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:26 pm
Have you ever been to Quebec? Walk like a duck, talk like a duck...
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:41 pm Isn't Russia dead to rights in Brexit too? Many of the same players.
Yes.

Russia's been doing it in lots of places, it's just that their two big successes to date have been in the U.S. and U.K.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:52 pm
hepcat wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:26 pm
Have you ever been to Quebec? Walk like a duck, talk like a duck...
Technically, it's "Walk like a canard, talk like a canard".
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Has this been mentioned yet? The GOP voted to NOT increase election security funding yesterday.
House Republicans on Thursday approved a spending bill that excludes new money for election security grants to states, provoking a furious reaction from Democrats amid a national controversy over Russian election interference.

The spending bill passed 217-199. Democrats’ bid to add hundreds of millions more in election spending was rejected 182-232 — as Republicans were unmoved by Democrats floor speeches decrying the funding changes and chanting “USA! USA!”

At issue is a grants program overseen by the federal Election Assistance Commission and aimed at helping states administer their elections and improve voting systems; Democrats want to continue grant funding through 2019, while Republicans say the program already has been fully funded.

Republicans argued strenuously in floor debate Wednesday that states had plenty of money from prior congressional allocations to spend on election improvements. But Democrats accused the Republicans of abetting President Trump in his refusal to take a hard line against Russian President Vladi­mir Putin at this week’s summit in Helsinki.
Sigh...

EDIT: Some additional info here
House Democrats took turns Wednesday requesting a vote on an amendment to fund election systems protection, saying the money is needed to “prevent Russian interference” in future elections.

The procedural moves from Democrats come ahead of a vote on a Republican-led spending bill (HR 6147) that would zero out election security grants that help states to fortify their systems against hacking and cyber attacks. The Election Assistance Commission is funded at $380 million under the fiscal 2018 omnibus spending bill enacted earlier this year.
If I'm reading this correctly, they're voted to eliminate any federal funding to help states protect voting systems, beginning in FY19 (October 1). Jesus.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:39 pm Has this been mentioned yet? The GOP voted to NOT increase election security funding yesterday.
House Republicans on Thursday approved a spending bill that excludes new money for election security grants to states, provoking a furious reaction from Democrats amid a national controversy over Russian election interference.

The spending bill passed 217-199. Democrats’ bid to add hundreds of millions more in election spending was rejected 182-232 — as Republicans were unmoved by Democrats floor speeches decrying the funding changes and chanting “USA! USA!”

At issue is a grants program overseen by the federal Election Assistance Commission and aimed at helping states administer their elections and improve voting systems; Democrats want to continue grant funding through 2019, while Republicans say the program already has been fully funded.

Republicans argued strenuously in floor debate Wednesday that states had plenty of money from prior congressional allocations to spend on election improvements. But Democrats accused the Republicans of abetting President Trump in his refusal to take a hard line against Russian President Vladi­mir Putin at this week’s summit in Helsinki.
Sigh...

House Democrats took turns Wednesday requesting a vote on an amendment to fund election systems protection, saying the money is needed to “prevent Russian interference” in future elections.

The procedural moves from Democrats come ahead of a vote on a Republican-led spending bill (HR 6147) that would zero out election security grants that help states to fortify their systems against hacking and cyber attacks. The Election Assistance Commission is funded at $380 million under the fiscal 2018 omnibus spending bill enacted earlier this year.
If I'm reading this correctly, they're voted to eliminate any federal funding to help states protect voting systems, beginning in FY19 (October 1). Jesus.
For everyone pinning their hopes on the November elections...what is plan B?

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Russia influences election

Post by Carpet_pissr »

1. Get in fetal position
2. Suck thumb
malchior

Post by malchior »

Do whatever I was going to do anyway. The 2018 election will most likely only *change* the trajectory. The country still will be ungovernable in almost all scenarios. We are just along for the ride.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Trumpkins: sure the Russians hacked our elections, and that's a good thing

I mean yeah, sure it's the next logical(ha!) step in the line of thinking that goes 1) trump couldn't collude with his own campaign to 2) trump didn't break any laws on to 3) anyone would've done it and finally 4) Clinton wouldn't have won either way so it's irrelevant.

Sure wish this was a link to The Onion but...no.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:55 pm For everyone pinning their hopes on the November elections...what is plan B?
More heckling.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:55 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:39 pm Has this been mentioned yet? The GOP voted to NOT increase election security funding yesterday.

Sigh...

A large canister of helium and a plastic bag.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Fireball wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:58 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:55 pm

Sigh...

A large canister of helium and a plastic bag.
I fail to see how Alvin and the Chipmunks are going to sway a corrupt GOP, but hey, you are closer to DC than I am.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Fireball wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:58 pm A large canister of helium and a plastic bag.
Please no.

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:48 pm
Fireball wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:58 pm A large canister of helium and a plastic bag.
Please no.
Make it nitrous oxide and I'm in.
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »