[movie] Alita: Battle Angel

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

[movie] Alita: Battle Angel

Post by Daehawk »

An action-packed story of one young woman's journey to discover the truth of who she is and her fight to change the world.

James Cameron has stated that he intends to adapt "the spine story" of Yukito Kishiro's original manga, with a specific focus on the first four books.[2] He especially wants to include the fictional sport "Motorball" from the third and fourth volume

Alita: Battle Angel is an upcoming American science fiction action film based on Yukito Kishiro's Battle Angel Alita manga, set to be released on July 20, 2018. The film is produced by James Cameron and Jon Landau, and directed by Robert Rodriguez from a screenplay by Cameron, Rodriguez and Laeta Kalogridis. Production and release were repeatedly delayed due to Cameron's work on Avatar and its sequels. The film stars Rosa Salazar in the title role, with supporting roles portrayed by Christoph Waltz, Jennifer Connelly, Mahershala Ali, Ed Skrein, Jackie Earl Haley and Keean Johnson.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Hipolito

Re: [movie] Alita: Battle Angel

Post by Hipolito »

Cool. I enjoyed the Battle Angel anime film from way back when.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Did anyone else read that as Attila?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:14 am Did anyone else read that as Attila?
Every time.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

That looks pretty cool, actually.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
DD*

Post by DD* »

I'm protesting because they didn't use a real animated actor to play the animated lead role. Triggered!!
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

DD* wrote:I'm protesting because they didn't use a real animated actor to play the animated lead role. Triggered!!
You jest, but what's the last tent pole action movie with a a solo Hispanic female lead you've seen?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

If the lead is animated, I hope the motion capture is done by Andy Serkis. If he can do Gollum, a monkey, and consult on how Godzilla should behave - he can do a little girl ninja robot.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I had little interest in this initially, but that trailer just sold one more ticket. It also doesn't hurt that I'd watch Christoph Waltz and Mahershala Ali read the morning news for 2 hours and still be massively entertained.
Covfefe!
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Paingod wrote:If the lead is animated, I hope the motion capture is done by Andy Serkis. If he can do Gollum, a monkey, and consult on how Godzilla should behave - he can do a little girl ninja robot.
It's motion capture like Avatar I think, so you're seeing the actress overplayed and modified.

(I'm terrible at posting images, but Rosa Salazar is my jam and Alita is definitely built on her face.)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Trailer 3 is up.

gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Two things strike me about this trailer. One, it lifts imagery right out of Sucker Punch, which is embarrassing. I mean, if you're going to have your female lead fight, that's the movie you want to mimic? Two, it looks ugly. I don't mean from an artistic perspective, 'ugly' is a valid choice. I mean from a basic functional movie perspective. In the trailer this seems to be a significant moment and just look at it:

Ugh
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont know what sucker punch is but this movie looks good to me.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:33 pm I dont know what sucker punch is but this movie looks good to me.
Check this link out. It's a fight scene from the movie. Then look at that trailer sequence from around 2 minutes in. You have a twirling jump dodge AND the slicing the big guy from down low. I'm not saying Sucker Punch is a good movie, and I'm not recommending you watch it, but it LOOKS good while being bad. I suspect Battle Angel Alita will do the opposite, it'll be better as a movie than it looks as a movie. Robert Rodriguez is no slouch when it comes to visuals, but this doesn't look like one of his high points in that regard.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Oooo… Sucker Punch. May need to watch it again now. :lol:
-mf
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

gameoverman wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:00 pm Two things strike me about this trailer. One, it lifts imagery right out of Sucker Punch, which is embarrassing. I mean, if you're going to have your female lead fight, that's the movie you want to mimic? Two, it looks ugly. I don't mean from an artistic perspective, 'ugly' is a valid choice. I mean from a basic functional movie perspective. In the trailer this seems to be a significant moment and just look at it:

Ugh
I presumed that imagery reflected the sci fi/anime trope of heaven above/garbage below. Altered Carbon and Astroboy come to mind immediately. If we never get the contrast with 'up there,' it would be a weird choice.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Why not just watch the anime?
Daehawk wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:33 pmI dont know what sucker punch is but this movie looks good to me.
A movie that wanted to be like a triple-layered sexually violent Inception. All you really need to know is that when she read up on the movie before deciding to watch it or not, it made my wife's brain melt with fury. You should love it.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

gameoverman wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:48 pm
Daehawk wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:33 pm I dont know what sucker punch is but this movie looks good to me.
Check this link out. It's a fight scene from the movie. Then look at that trailer sequence from around 2 minutes in. You have a twirling jump dodge AND the slicing the big guy from down low. I'm not saying Sucker Punch is a good movie, and I'm not recommending you watch it, but it LOOKS good while being bad. I suspect Battle Angel Alita will do the opposite, it'll be better as a movie than it looks as a movie. Robert Rodriguez is no slouch when it comes to visuals, but this doesn't look like one of his high points in that regard.
Oh I remember that now. Never saw it. Doesn't look that good. But the fighting...think its just Hollywood being out of ideas and moves and you can only do so much action before it all starts looking the same.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Paingod wrote:Why not just watch the anime?
Daehawk wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:33 pmI dont know what sucker punch is but this movie looks good to me.
A movie that wanted to be like a triple-layered sexually violent Inception. All you really need to know is that when she read up on the movie before deciding to watch it or not, it made my wife's brain melt with fury. You should love it.
A movie about physically and emotionally abused women? How could she possibly have had an issue with that?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:05 pmOh I remember that now. Never saw it. Doesn't look that good. But the fighting...think its just Hollywood being out of ideas and moves and you can only do so much action before it all starts looking the same.
Well, I can't argue with the 'out of ideas' part. It's just disappointing that a filmmaker of Rodriguez's capabilities couldn't come up with something different, if not new. I mean, the character is CGI, I presume because she has superhuman abilities. There's a lot of room there for something cool rather than same old/same old.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I started this thread a year before my wife died. I dont really care now. But I do care enough to post another trailer for it. Strange.

morlac

Post by morlac »

gameoverman wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:43 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:05 pmOh I remember that now. Never saw it. Doesn't look that good. But the fighting...think its just Hollywood being out of ideas and moves and you can only do so much action before it all starts looking the same.
Well, I can't argue with the 'out of ideas' part. It's just disappointing that a filmmaker of Rodriguez's capabilities couldn't come up with something different, if not new. I mean, the character is CGI, I presume because she has superhuman abilities. There's a lot of room there for something cool rather than same old/same old.
Shrug, I thought the fight was full of superhuman abilities and she seemed to take him out in the most logical spot based on the size difference. I have seen the same exact super side flip thing in at least a dozen other movies as well besides these two ever since the Matrix popularized the wire fighting in the West. I'm also kinda surpised a crap movie like Suckerpunch left such an impression with you that you could recall that scene in such detail. :) I thought it looked more like Spiderman vs Doc Oc on the Train. She pulls a totally Spiderman move flipping over the robots Doc Oct arms.

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

You know, I didn't think about it while watching that movie, but upon reviewing that clip, Doc Oct should have been totally bested by Spiderman within the first 30 seconds. IIRC, Doc is just a guy with awesome metal tentacles. Since Spiderman is immensely strong, I would think the very first punch he landed would have not only have ended the fight, but led to a rather intensive appointment with a Plastic surgeon or two (maybe 8, to be thematic?).
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I did think about it. And it's bugged me for a long time. Actually, it bugs me every time I see it. Which is a lot. Movies and shows love to conveniently forget that there are just regular, normal, ordinary people involved sometimes (<cough>Tony Stark</cough>).

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'm more concerned with Doc throwing Spidey in the same direction as the speeding train only to have Spidey end up behind him somehow. I assume there was a rip in the space-time continuum in that bridge trestle?

Try spitting out the window of a moving car and see how many times it hits you in the back of the head. If it's more than zero, you should see a doctor (of physics) immediately.

Post by Default »

Cameo appearence by the Mysterious Mr. Moebious?
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

morlac wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:14 pmI have seen the same exact super side flip thing in at least a dozen other movies as well
That was my issue with it, the lack of imagination. Hearing Cameron talk about it years ago, that this character would be CGI but look real, that opened up all sorts of possibilities on what you can do with a character like that. Just using the same moves everyone else does is a disappointing choice.

It's a moot point for me now though, because reviews are not exactly all that good. I don't care if reviewers like it or not, it's what they say about it that interests me. Even the reviewers who like it don't have much to say for the story or characters. I'm not into anime so it really has to work as a sci-fi movie for me to get into it and it sounds like this one is mostly for the fans of the original work.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Those huuuuge eyes just kill any interest I would have had in this movie. If you wanted to make a lead character with huge eyes, why not just make an Anime movie? It may seem superficial, but I just can't get past how bizarre the main character looks.

Post by Default »

Apollo wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:17 pm Those huuuuge eyes just kill any interest I would have had in this movie. If you wanted to make a lead character with huge eyes, why not just make an Anime movie? It may seem superficial, but I just can't get past how bizarre the main character looks.
Needs the kitteh ears...

rawr.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
JCC

Post by JCC »

Apollo wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:17 pm Those huuuuge eyes just kill any interest I would have had in this movie. If you wanted to make a lead character with huge eyes, why not just make an Anime movie? It may seem superficial, but I just can't get past how bizarre the main character looks.
To be fair, I might not have been interested in this movie anyway. But, this 100%. I also can't get past her gi-normous eyes.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

The eyes work for me.
Maybe I’m partial to big eyes.

Spiderman has big eyes.

More seriously:
I could actually see designers making artificial cyborgs with distinctive physical traits to set them apart.
Last edited by Unagi on Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Robert Rodriguez on the why of it. Amongst other things.
-mf
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So I guess her head is not cyborg, but flesh-n-blood?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

JCC wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:15 am
To be fair, I might not have been interested in this movie anyway. But, this 100%. I also can't get past her gi-normous eyes.
s

It bothers me too.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Grifman wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:53 pm
JCC wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:15 am
s

It bothers me too.
Recently I read somewhere that toddlers have such big eyes because our eyeballs grow to full size while we're still very young, and the rest of our face doesn't catch up to them until much later. Now I keep thinking about what that girl in the trailer looked like as a toddler. :shock:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

My daughter, an anime aficionado, always points out the size of this character's eyes with what appears to be incredulousness. I'm not a fan of her design either, but it's not as off-putting for me as it is for some. I had been operating under the assumption that she was artificial in some way. Robot, cyborg, whatever. Sounds like she's not?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Her entire body seems robotic as in the trailer she switches the one she starts with with some high tech battle body. Her head though I assume is a mix of real and robotic. She seems to be a soldier during a war and full human then.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Cameron has some kind of thing, maybe it's a fetish, for battle angels. Didn't he have a tv series on FOX with some hot actress, Jessica something or other, man my memory is really shitting the bed on this one...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

JSHAW wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:48 pm Cameron has some kind of thing, maybe it's a fetish, for battle angels. Didn't he have a tv series on FOX with some hot actress, Jessica something or other, man my memory is really shitting the bed on this one...
Dark Angel
It's almost as if people are the problem.