Russia influences election

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

YellowKing

Re: Russia influences election

Post by YellowKing »

Lawbeefaroni wrote:For everyone pinning their hopes on the November elections...what is plan B?
The only plan B we have is Mueller. The hope that he uncovers enough heinous criminal activity that Trump is forced to resign under public outrage (since I believe impeachment would be impossible with this Congress).

That said, I don't think we'll be so lucky.

The most realistic best-case scenario is that the Blue Wave materializes and provides some resistance (however tiny). If the Blue Wave is big enough, it may also embolden GOPers lukewarm on Trump to grow bolder in their criticism. However, all this will simply be like putting a Band-Aid on a bullet wound.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:20 pm
Lawbeefaroni wrote:For everyone pinning their hopes on the November elections...what is plan B?
The only plan B we have is Mueller. The hope that he uncovers enough heinous criminal activity that Trump is forced to resign under public outrage (since I believe impeachment would be impossible with this Congress).
I think it's pretty clear that we're beyond Trump being the only problem. Yes, he' currently holding America in a choke hold while the GOP watches, but if he's magically no longer in charge there's been enough damage to our overall system that we're in big fucking trouble. The comparison's been made a hundred times already - Trump is just the most visible symptom of our current problem. He's not THE problem.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

But the structural problems existed under Obama, and we still had a mostly functional government and mostly functional policies. The problem is that Trump and his GOP are willing to exploit the weaknesses. America is sick but not dead.

What's needed is another decent president and a truly massive effort at reform, something to nail down erstwhile norms as actual laws.

Maybe I'm naive, but I have hope that post-Trump/anti-Trumpian reforms could still save us.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:48 pm
Fireball wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:58 pm A large canister of helium and a plastic bag.
Please no.
Just to be clear: this was not a serious reply. It was just dark humor. In truth, if Democrats don't take the House in 2018, our only hope as a nation is for a Democrat to win the presidency in 2020. If that doesn't happen, it's time to leave the United States.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Just a reminder of how Clinton warned us about Trump and Russia two years ago, and also how the media completely botched the coverage.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:16 pm But the structural problems existed under Obama, and we still had a mostly functional government and mostly functional policies. The problem is that Trump and his GOP are willing to exploit the weaknesses. America is sick but not dead.
Only because Obama had to become 'imperial'. The first thing Trump did was roll everything back. That is no way to govern. From a policy standpoint we are unstable. As to sick or dead, I'd compare it to being that we're at Stage 3 or 4 cancer for governance. Not dead but things are looking very, very dire.
What's needed is another decent president and a truly massive effort at reform, something to nail down erstwhile norms as actual laws.

Maybe I'm naive, but I have hope that post-Trump/anti-Trumpian reforms could still save us.
I'd love that outcome but there is no reason for it to happen. The 'minority' knows they are the minority. Why would they give up power? All signs indicate we're in for a long painful ride most likely or a very short ride into something else. The short path will be very bad for non-white and non-straight folks.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

:grund: :grund:

Setting up an excuse for GOP losses in the midterms.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Captain Caveman wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:00 pm

I don't think it's that, so much as his usual playbook is just to accuse the opposition of what he is accused of. Then count on generating headlines along the lines of "Trump and Democratic leaders accuse each other of being in bed with Russia", knowing that a lot of people won't read enough to know that the accusations against Trump are serious, while the accusations by Trump are not. Just to blur the lines enough that those Republican-leaning voters who want to support him can find enough reasons to do so.
Black Lives Matter.
Captain Caveman

His pathological lies can serve multiple purposes. That's Trump's genius.

Until the lying itself has a cost, he'll keep doing it. It's worked pretty well for him so far.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I more or less assumed at some point I'd stop being astounded on a daily basis that this man is our President. It hasn't happened yet.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Dems: "We should probably have the Director of National Intelligence publicly testify on the threat Russian interference has on our election process, since it's on everyone's mind right now."

GOP: "Nah, we're good"
Democrats on the House Oversight Committee on Tuesday failed in their attempt to subpoena the top U.S. intelligence official to testify publicly on the threat Russia poses to U.S. elections.

Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-Va.) offered a motion to subpoena Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats. Republicans defeated the effort in a 17-15 party-line vote that tabled the motion.

Gowdy had offered to invite Coats to testify before the committee in a classified setting, but Democrats described that offer as insufficient.

“We appreciate your agreement to hold a classified briefing with [the Office of Director of National Intelligence], but we think a briefing, albeit helpful, needs to be accompanied by a public hearing,” said Connolly, adding that a closed-door briefing would be “no substitute” for a public one.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I wish the GOP would pay more of a political price for this sort of obvious misconduct, but I really don't think they will. Fortunately Trump managed to inflict a pain of sort via the Helsinki summit, at least, and he's apparently planning on doing a repeat in the fall in D.C. (which I do deeply appreciate).
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

McConnell (who of course did everything he could to prevent a bipartisan response to Russian interference in 2016) has come out with a couple of anti-Putin/anti-interference statements today.

Combined with Trump's, it smells fishy, like maybe they're trying to muddy the waters for when something happens.

The best we can hope is that it's merely a reaction to this week's polls showing that Helsinki was a disaster for the GOP.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

This is especially hilarious since Putin directly said in the Helsinki press conference that he was hoping Trump would beat Clinton.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

And the creation of another entity which will investigate this new Russian interference resulting in the disenfranchisement of of various minority groups, ummm, I mean Russian pawns.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Captain Caveman

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:37 pm

This is especially hilarious since Putin directly said in the Helsinki press conference that he was hoping Trump would beat Clinton.
Wrong! That moment has been erased from the historical record:

em2nought

Post by em2nought »

:wub:
Enlarge Image

#WalkAway Buttercup :wink:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Captain Caveman wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:08 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:37 pm

Wrong! That moment has been erased from the historical record:

times 17.3.84 bb speech malreported africa rectify

times 19.12.83 forecasts 3 yp 4th quarter 83 misprints verify current issue

times 14.2.84 miniplenty malquoted chocolate rectify

times 3.12.83 reporting bb dayorder doubleplusungood refs unpersons rewrite fullwise upsub antefiling
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:11 pm Dems: "We should probably have the Director of National Intelligence publicly testify on the threat Russian interference has on our election process, since it's on everyone's mind right now."

GOP: "Nah, we're good"
Democrats on the House Oversight Committee on Tuesday failed in their attempt to subpoena the top U.S. intelligence official to testify publicly on the threat Russia poses to U.S. elections.

Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-Va.) offered a motion to subpoena Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats. Republicans defeated the effort in a 17-15 party-line vote that tabled the motion.

Gowdy had offered to invite Coats to testify before the committee in a classified setting, but Democrats described that offer as insufficient.

“We appreciate your agreement to hold a classified briefing with [the Office of Director of National Intelligence], but we think a briefing, albeit helpful, needs to be accompanied by a public hearing,” said Connolly, adding that a closed-door briefing would be “no substitute” for a public one.
I don't know how they can go to work every day and put up with this. I blame all of them. If you're not engaging in fisticuffs on the House floor at this point you are complicit. "Oh, but let's just do the delicate dance of getting votes on record..." Fuck that.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

At this point I don't see how Democrat can win, the election will be massively tampered with and Reps will come out ahead again. This is a very sad turn of events for everyone.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

em2nought wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:14 am
#WalkAway Buttercup :wink:

#GOPSoldtoPutin
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Vorret wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:47 am At this point I don't see how Democrat can win, the election will be massively tampered with and Reps will come out ahead again. This is a very sad turn of events for everyone.
I won't say that until it happens. Then we have to sit back and see what happened. There is no sense is questioning the tools we have until there is reason to question them. Protecting them? Yes. Showing disdain for those who dismiss protecting them? Absolutely. But giving up on them before we use them or claiming they're rigged before we have data points to examine. Nope. I have larger more legitimate fears, like the fact that the guy want to governor is named Abdul El-Sayed. The guy I really don't want to be governor is Bull Schutte. I am reasonably certain the racism of my state will assure El-Sayed will lose in the general. Do I throw my hat in for any way? If he wins the primary and runs against Schutte (or heaven forbid Colbeck) in the general, bigotry will seal my state's fate and gerrymandered hostage taking will grow. I'm not fully educated on the field yet but I think I have an inherent distrust of every other candidate. Some worse than others. Do I accept that Whitmer might just be the least corrupt in a horrible field, and that she should be Schutte and she will also guarantee that Thanedar won't win the primary and make the general the worst of all possible worlds?

If Congress isn't going to stand up proactively then all I can say is "Get back to me with what the Russians did in late October...." I have more important mental cycles to expend on the election before the election.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:15 pm I more or less assumed at some point I'd stop being astounded on a daily basis that this man is our President. It hasn't happened yet.
Yeah, I used to think each week we’ve hit bottom, but now I’ve given up. There is always going to be a future week that will be worse than whatever the most recent worst week.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

All those in favor of Treason, say "Aye!"
House conservatives have filed articles of impeachment in an effort to oust Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, the overseer of Special Counsel Robert Mueller's investigation.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Has to get 2/3 in the senate, so it will never pass.

By all means let them give the Democrats more ammo going into the midterms.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Sepiche wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:22 pm Has to get 2/3 in the senate, so it will never pass.

By all means let them give the Democrats more ammo going into the midterms.
Indeed.

Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

"Conservatives" doesn't mean what it used to mean. Even though we agree on nearly nothing, I actually find myself feeling sorry for genuine conservatives nowadays.
Captain Caveman

It’s obviously not going to a vote but that’s not their primary objective. They just want to further impugn Rosenstein to try to discredit Mueller’s eventual findings, fire up their base a little bit, and (long shot) give Trump some pretext for canning Rosenstein. I expect some unhinged Trump tweets on the topic soon.

Mostly though it’s probably just Jordan and Meadows trying to show Trump and the base their bonafides.
Pyperkub

Re: Re: Russia influences election

Post by Pyperkub »

Kraken wrote:"Conservatives" doesn't mean what it used to mean. Even though we agree on nearly nothing, I actually find myself feeling sorry for genuine conservatives nowadays.
I was reading an article a little while back arguing that many of the positions we think of as conservative (or did, until recently) were rooted in reactionary hatred of the Civil rights movement and act.

E. G. Smaller government, lower taxes, etc.

I'll see if I can dig it/them up, as it's a fascinating argument.

From that perspective, it's more that we're actually seeing conservatism without its polite veneer.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Re: Re: Russia influences election

Post by Holman »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:23 am
Kraken wrote:"Conservatives" doesn't mean what it used to mean. Even though we agree on nearly nothing, I actually find myself feeling sorry for genuine conservatives nowadays.
I was reading an article a little while back arguing that many of the positions we think of as conservative (or did, until recently) were rooted in reactionary hatred of the Civil rights movement and act.

E. G. Smaller government, lower taxes, etc.

I'll see if I can dig it/them up, as it's a fascinating argument.

From that perspective, it's more that we're actually seeing conservatism without its polite veneer.
Yup.

I'd say the modern American conservative movement was definitely born in reaction the Civil Rights movement. In the 20th century, "States Rights" was cover for Jim Crow and segregation all along, but it was a strictly Southern rallying cry until the 1950s.

I'm sure we all know the story of the 1960s Southern Strategy and the Dem/GOP base realignment, but another part of it was the 1970s GOP making inroads into the northern white working class through opposition to busing and etc, again sold as "smaller government."

The realignment was complete with the rise of the social-conservative Christian Right, which explicitly adapted GOP opposition to Civil Rights to the fight against the ERA and acceptance of homosexuality, etc.

Actual Edmund Burke-style conservatives probably haven't been running "conservative" politics in American since the 1940s. People like William Buckley, whom we somehow pretend were above the level of today's right-wing, were all-in on opposition to Civil Rights. The distance they kept from e.g. the John Birch Society was often more a matter of style than of substance.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

You two are saying different things. The modern conservative movement is not rooted in the conservatism of Eisenhower. It is the exact opposite of such and predates Civil Rights reactionaries. At the same time, it's a marvel (and shameful) to me that Civil Rights reactionaries have seized control conservatism and the GOP is unrecognizable as the party or Lincoln and Eisenhower.

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=25838
Our great President Dwight D. Eisenhower has counseled us further: "In all those things which deal with people, be liberal, be human. In all those things which deal with people's money, or their economy, or their form of government, be conservative."
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=117718
People want and expect an America that is the most powerful and respected country on the face of the earth.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

The Russian intelligence agency behind the 2016 election cyberattacks targeted Sen. Claire McCaskill as she began her 2018 re-election campaign in earnest, a Daily Beast forensic analysis reveals. That makes the Missouri Democrat the first identified target of the Kremlin’s 2018 election interference.
link
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Defiant wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:54 pm
The Russian intelligence agency behind the 2016 election cyberattacks targeted Sen. Claire McCaskill as she began her 2018 re-election campaign in earnest, a Daily Beast forensic analysis reveals. That makes the Missouri Democrat the first identified target of the Kremlin’s 2018 election interference.
link
The other thing is, if I'm reading the story right, it would have worked but for Microsoft taking over and re-routing traffic towards the Russian fake domain (pursuant to court order).

Also it's not clear that McCaskill was the only one targeted - I would assume not, and I'm not sure that they all failed.
Black Lives Matter.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/26/politics ... index.html
"Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump's former personal attorney, claims that then-candidate Trump knew in advance about the June 2016 meeting in Trump Tower in which Russians were expected to offer his campaign dirt on Hillary Clinton, sources with knowledge tell CNN. Cohen is willing to make that assertion to special counsel Robert Mueller, the sources said."

Holy crap.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Honestly, at this point, it’s just too late. The insular world of the Trump supporter won’t be damaged in the least by this news. If Mueller does end the investigation and Trump is charged with something, he’ll never be punished for it. He’s become the Teflon Don.
Covfefe!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Sepiche wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:15 am https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/26/politics ... index.html
"Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump's former personal attorney, claims that then-candidate Trump knew in advance about the June 2016 meeting in Trump Tower in which Russians were expected to offer his campaign dirt on Hillary Clinton, sources with knowledge tell CNN. Cohen is willing to make that assertion to special counsel Robert Mueller, the sources said."

Holy crap.
He's willing to make that assertion, but he apparently doesn't have that one recorded - it's just his word on it. Not as devastating as it might seem at first blush.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Rip

Post by Rip »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:39 am
Sepiche wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:15 am https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/26/politics ... index.html

Holy crap.
He's willing to make that assertion, but he apparently doesn't have that one recorded - it's just his word on it. Not as devastating as it might seem at first blush.
Especially when you consider the number of bold face lies he has been caught in.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Rip wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:41 am

Holy crap.
Especially when you consider the number of bold face lies he has been caught in.
Speaking of Trump here , or who?
Rip

Post by Rip »

Unagi wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:47 am
Rip wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:41 am

Holy crap.
Speaking of Trump here , or who?
Cohen. Heck he told Chris Cuomo he wasn't recording their conversation right before he did record their conversation.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/25/cohen-sec ... nn-anchor/
The conversation took place after the Journal in January revealed that Cohen had arranged the payment to Daniels.

The paper reported that Cohen told Cuomo he wasn’t running a tape — before recording their entire conversation.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:19 am Honestly, at this point, it’s just too late. The insular world of the Trump supporter won’t be damaged in the least by this news. If Mueller does end the investigation and Trump is charged with something, he’ll never be punished for it. He’s become the Teflon Don.
It's nice to have someone who's Teflon on the "right" side for a change. They've had plenty of Teflon folks on the other side for years. :doh:

The fake news crying wolf ALL the time have turned us into Teflon voters on our side as well. :wink: It's like someone handed us cash.
Enlarge Image
Technically, he shouldn't be here.