GenCon 2018

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Blackhawk

GenCon 2018

Post by Blackhawk »

Just helped a friend clean out his garage. He's the same guy who funded my GenCon trip last year. He told me that I'm going again this year - room and badges are paid for. The only thing I need out of pocket this time is gas (I only live two hours away, and they live in town), food (I will probably just stock up on Cliff bars), and anything I choose to spend (which isn't nearly what it was last year.)

So, it looks like I'm going to GenCon again! I'm keeping my schedule a little more open this time. Last time I had multiple scheduled, ticketed events every day with only a few breaks here and there, which made meeting up with people difficult. Hopefully some other OO folks are going and we can run into each other.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Re: GenCon 2018

Post by hepcat »

Just got my badge and event tickets in the mail. Thank God I don't have to fight my way through will call this year.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Yeah, can't make it again this year. My adoring fans cannot be assuaged.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

i will be there with my gaming group buddy Terry (non-OOer) Thursday-Sunday. We will be battling will call though, so wish me luck.

Would definitely like to meet up. We only scheduled a couple of events each day, and have some library time reserved Thursday/Friday 4-midnight. So we should have plenty of time to hang out.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I'll be there reminding hepcat that he wanders the dealer hall in circles like a lost meeple looking for his game box.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I do think the child leash is overkill though.
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Maybe I'll go again when the kids are old enough. 10...20 years?
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

This thing starts in a week! I just got back from an extended trip, so time to start researching for GenCon.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Heartbroken that I have friends going and I can't attend... :(
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm staying with local friends again this year (although they're there as exhibitors this time), so while I have to do will-call, I'll actually be doing it Wednesday evening rather than on Thursday. We did it that way last year, and had maybe a ten minute wait.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I was offered a free exhibitor pass to GenCon but turned it down because that weekend is the only weekend for the whole month of August, and I wanted to spend the weekend at home resting.

Is this...maturity?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Hanging out at GenCon is going to be my rest before a potential breakdown. I have 4 more weeks until I have my department at work staffed again (at all levels). And in the meantime, I'm buying and trying to sell a house.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I already sent out my plans to Zarathud and our friend J (real names redacted).
Okay, so I’m planning on getting drunk Thursday morning around 5am, then driving over to J’s and honking the horn repeatedly while screaming “STELLA” outside his building. After that, I’m going to careen over to Zarathud’s with J being forced to hide in the trunk…where I’ll promptly forgot I put him for the entire weekend. Zarathud and I will stop at Dunkin Donuts where I’ll get 17 cream filled donuts and one bear claw…which I’ll then launch out the driver side window at the other cars on the highway in an effort to “put the fear of God in ‘em”. When we reach Indianapolis, I’m going to have Zarathud take the wheel as I moon the city while hurtling down the downtown offramp.

Then I’ll pass out and expect Zarathud to purchase drugs and hard liquor to leave near my unconscious body for the rest of the weekend.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:17 am I already sent out my plans to Zarathud and our friend J (real names redacted).
Okay, so I’m planning on getting drunk Thursday morning around 5am, then driving over to J’s and honking the horn repeatedly while screaming “STELLA” outside his building. After that, I’m going to careen over to Zarathud’s with J being forced to hide in the trunk…where I’ll promptly forgot I put him for the entire weekend. Zarathud and I will stop at Dunkin Donuts where I’ll get 17 cream filled donuts and one bear claw…which I’ll then launch out the driver side window at the other cars on the highway in an effort to “put the fear of God in ‘em”. When we reach Indianapolis, I’m going to have Zarathud take the wheel as I moon the city while hurtling down the downtown offramp.

Then I’ll pass out and expect Zarathud to purchase drugs and hard liquor to leave near my unconscious body for the rest of the weekend.
This sounds like a made for Netflix kind of movie. Or if it goes horribly wrong, a plotline for True Detective.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Zarathud

GenCon 2018

Post by Zarathud »

The episodes always end with hepcat and me messing with each other in the Dealer Hall on the last day. Acting like the Odd Couple as hepcat wanders in circles as I obsessively plot a course to the next destination on my list.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

This year I plan to grab some generic tickets, do what looks fun, and actually try to demo some of the games on the floor rather than scheduling something every hour or two. Here's my actual schedule:

===========================================================

Wednesday - I'll be getting into Indy in the afternoon sometime and picking up my badges (it's only about an hour and a half away for me.)

Thursday is completely free

Friday at 3:00 PM - improv workshop

Saturday at 2:00 PM - A Killing in Cahokia (RPG)

Sunday the Exish and kids will be showing up to take advantage of the Sunday badge fees and get a look around, so I'll be busy the entire time.

===========================================================

I do have a few other items on my list, but they are non-fee, larger public events that just looked interesting, and I have no problem skipping any of them.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Terry and I are getting in Wed night and are going to run over to Will Call and knock that out so we don't have to fight the crowds.

We're in for the long haul so we'll be there through most of the day Sunday. Any OOers who want to meet up just stay in touch on forums/PM. Our current plan is primarily booth browsing Thurs/Fri with game library nights both nights. Sat will play it by ear. We have a couple of events planned but will mostly try to duck the crowds. We're also doing Dice Tower live on Friday.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

In case we don't plan anything concrete, I've sent the three of you PMs with my number.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:53 am The episodes always end with hepcat and me messing with each other in the Dealer Hall on the last day. Acting like the Odd Couple as hepcat wanders in circles as I obsessively plot a course to the next destination on my list.
It goes like this:

Zarathud: Okay, I want to go to the left up here to see something.
Me: Okay, sounds good. <turns right>
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Next time, I put you on a leash.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Also our game group pre-ordered THE RECKONERS to pick up at GenCon. CAN'T RESIST THE SHINY!

I'm not totally sold on it (mainly due to cost) but splitting it 4 ways eased the pain.
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

See you guys there! Got way too many games to play and things to eat
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Harkonis wrote:See you guys there! Got way too many games to play and things to eat
St. Elmo’s steak house for the lunch special and the small shrimp cocktail. Totally jealous...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The onion rings at Kilroys. :wub:
Covfefe!
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

those are pretty good.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Welp, all packed up. Leaving at 10 in the morning. I'll be in Indy for lunch, pick up my badge and tickets early, and be ready to start the chaos the next day. See you all there!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

We're getting in late tonight (10:30 ish) but I will be up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed in the morning. Can't wait to see you guys!
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

We're going to do some shopping, get a haircut then head downtown for a tour of Sun King followed by a late lunch before the keg tapping party. Hoping to see some of you this year!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Jealous. Have a great time, guys!
Montag

Post by Montag »

I will be there for Fri and Sat. My brother is coming down. Planning on going the generic ticket route myself. Likely some library time. Would like to meet up.
words
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The traffic downtown right now is lovely. Ick.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Will Call is currently out the door.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That wasn't too bad. The line was across the convention center and out the door, about four people wide. They've got it efficient enough that it only took about 50 minutes. Make sure you pick up your coupon book after your tickets, by the way.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And so it begins. :coffee:
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Have fun you crazy kids!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Our flight was delayed so we had no choice but to take an early flight in this morning. After rental car pickup and hotel check-in we didn’t get to convention center until 11:30. Will-call line was a good 4-5 hour wait. Decided to come back later this evening and hope it’s better. Pretty much wasted an entire day. Really aggravating.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There was no line outside an hour ago.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

15 minutes or less now.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Came back to the house (just on the edge of Indy) and I'm about out of go. Great day. My friends are here with the IGDN demoing and promoting their games (one RPG, one card), so I spent part of the day with them, but I also took plenty of time in the vendor hall, mostly focusing on discounted/closeout merchandise. I got some great deals a the Coolstuff Inc scratch and dent shelf and at The War Store. I hit the consignment room, which I missed last time. That's a dangerous, dangerous room! I walked out with Champions of Midgard and Specter Ops, both of which were high on my list. Both of them together cost less than a single normal game.

I do miss having the linked hotel room to drop stuff off in like last year, but I sprang for the parking pass, so it is only a five minute shuttle ride away.

Tomorrow I only have one scheduled event (an RPG improv class) from 1-3. Gonna look at my new toys and get some rest for then.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

We ended up turning our day around in a big way. Had only a 30 minute wait at 3:30 and got into exhibit hall at 4:00. Got an amazing amount done in 2 hours - met the Dice Tower and Blind Ferret guys, picked up The Reckoners, and I got a great deal on Nemo’s War. Ended the day at the library where we played Matt Leacock’s Thunderbirds game which is way more fun than it has any right to be.

We will be in the Renegade demo 10-12, Dice Tower Live 2-4, and then heading back over to the library.