No Man's Sky

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Paingod

Re: No Man's Sky

Post by Paingod »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:26 pm Dang, forgot how long it takes... Loading... Shaders...
My first Loading Shaders was so bad I had time to Google that the game was basically building itself for that first launch, populating INI files or something - not just Shaders. After that, my loads have been 15, 20 seconds.
Sepiche wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:15 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:53 am
Paingod wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:05 am I've done two or three Warp jumps now - but spent a LOT of time harvesting resources to try and refurbish the ship I found.
Where/how are you guys finding ships? I’ve seen other ships in spaceports that I could potentially buy (once I actually figure out how to make money), but are there random ship lying around that you can just pick up and repair?
You'll find them rarely crashed on any planet. If you find navigation data and build a signal booster to use it with I think one of the things you can look for will show you crashed ships.
I randomly discovered a building with a navigation console in it. I had to "decrypt" it with a math puzzle (find the next number in a sequence), and then it told me where the ship was. A substantial upgrade over my starter ship, but I've spent literally hours trying to piece it together. If it was an even bigger one, it might be a 12 hour project. :shock:

That artificial grind in a single player game is kind of a turn off. I don't mind working for something, but I do get worn down by hours of repetition to accomplish what should be a modest goal.

Between this game and Empyrion: Galactic Survival, I think I prefer Empyrion. NMS has better visuals and dog fighting, but everything else is weighted in favor for Empyrion. I'm not sure I need two games so closely related when I've sunk 100's of hours into Empyrion and am already feeling the grind with NMS after 10 hours.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Paingod wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:55 pm A substantial upgrade over my starter ship, but I've spent literally hours trying to piece it together. If it was an even bigger one, it might be a 12 hour project.

That artificial grind in a single player game is kind of a turn off. I don't mind working for something, but I do get worn down by hours of repetition to accomplish what should be a modest goal.
While you can certainly grind to repair slots in a crashed ship if you enjoy that kind of thing, I don't think that I'd recommend that as an optimal approach for new players unless you just like to grind. If the ship you found is a substantial upgrade over your starting ship and you've repaired it somewhat, just take it to a station or trading post with ship pads and trade it in on one of the ships landing there that you like. What you get will still be a lot better than your starting ship and you don't have to grind.

I'd say if you don't like to grind then don't. You should follow the game's two main quest chains instead. They're a lot of fun and you'll get some nice stuff. I see a lot of new players complain about grinding without realizing that there are a lot of ways to play the game and some of them have a lot less grind than others. Basically, if you don't like what you're doing, stop doing it and either find another way to accomplish what you want or do something else that you enjoy.

There are a lot of things to do and ways to play this game. It doesn't sound like you've gotten far enough to open up all the possibilities. There are lot of ways to earn lots of credits and you can just buy a new ship rather than grinding to repair a crashed one. I'd recommend doing the base building tutorial quests if you haven't. That opens up a ton of new stuff to do and ways to earn credits.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Yeah. I've started exploring further - but it's not gripping me. I'm usually very cool with sandbox games and creating goals for myself, but this one isn't doing it. I'm past the travel tutorial and got far enough to want to know how to speed up the grind. It led me to a YouTube video that showed a complex farming operation that generates millions of credits each hour.

The concept of pouring hours - days - into basically expanding my inventory over and over isn't appealing. In X3 I spent hundreds of hours creating a trade empire and fleets of ships to dominate sectors. In Skyrim there was adventure, loot, and challenge in the fighting. In many games I find a goal. I'm just not finding it here. The combat is lackluster, and the exploration - after visiting four worlds - is getting repetitive. :?

I feel like I gave it a fair shake, but the whole thing put together reminds me a lot of the later stages of SPORE - visiting world after world to acquire resources to buy better parts to acquire resources to buy better parts. It's the part of SPORE that left me disappointed - and it seems like that aspect is what this entire game focuses on. The game up until then was a lot of fun. The first time, I played long enough to beat the game. In subsequent play-throughs, I just quit after a couple hours of that end of the game.
Black Lives Matter

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Paingod wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:23 pm Yeah. I've started exploring further - but it's not gripping me. I'm usually very cool with sandbox games and creating goals for myself, but this one isn't doing it. I'm past the travel tutorial and got far enough to want to know how to speed up the grind. It led me to a YouTube video that showed a complex farming operation that generates millions of credits each hour.

The concept of pouring hours - days - into basically expanding my inventory over and over isn't appealing. In X3 I spent hundreds of hours creating a trade empire and fleets of ships to dominate sectors. In Skyrim there was adventure, loot, and challenge in the fighting. In many games I find a goal. I'm just not finding it here. The combat is lackluster, and the exploration - after visiting four worlds - is getting repetitive. :?
After a few more hours, I'm starting to feel the same. Been to a dozen or so worlds in multiple systems, and they all just kinda look like color swaps of each other. I am not really finding the core gameplay loop terribly interesting, even moreso when I have to stop mining every 30 seconds because of those stupid gorram sentinels. Oh, and the ship controls are just downright abysmal. Seriously...SO bad.

Might spend a little more time with it if Little B wants to, but doubt I'll progress much further on my own.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:50 pm I have to stop mining every 30 seconds because of those stupid gorram sentinels.
Tip: Mine from a long distance, then the sentinels will ignore you. Alternately, just stop mining when they start to scan you until they finish.
Skinypupy wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:50 pm Oh, and the ship controls are just downright abysmal. Seriously...SO bad.
If you mean the ship responsiveness, that is affected by both the type of ship and the level of the engine and other components you have installed. Cargo ships wallow around and fighters are much better/easier to fly. Both get a LOT better once you upgrade the ship components. This is not something that's very obvious to new players.
Paingod wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:23 pm In X3 I spent hundreds of hours creating a trade empire and fleets of ships to dominate sectors.
Me too. One of the things they just added in the NEXT update is the ability to assemble a fleet of frigates and send them on various missions or use them to protect you and your Freighter. I'm looking forward to trying that out.
Paingod wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:23 pm but it's not gripping me.
Fair enough.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The thing that annoys me right now is that the storyline pushes you to build a base before giving you the means to leave the star system. Every planet in my starting system is awful. There is a frozen planet, a desert planet, a hot planet, a radioactive planet, and two barren 'terraforming catastrophe' planets that are essentially just balls of black rock. I want to build a base, but not here!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:19 pm I want to build a base, but not here!
With the NEXT update you can now build as many bases as you want and put them anywhere. So you can just make a small crappy base in your starting system somewhere to get though the starting base tutorials and get all the extra tech and components/blueprints that those give you. Then build a real base in your second system on a nice planet there.

You can also dismantle your first base anytime you want and get the resources back. Then use them for your real base.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, that's exactly what I did. I have a three-walled roofed cube sitting next to a trading outpost. As soon as I can leave, I'll break it down.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

ColdSteel wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:50 am You can also dismantle your first base anytime you want and get the resources back. Then use them for your real base.
I must be missing something. How do you dismantle the little hut? And does doing that allow the base computer to be picked up?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

ColdSteel wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:16 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:50 pm Oh, and the ship controls are just downright abysmal. Seriously...SO bad.
If you mean the ship responsiveness, that is affected by both the type of ship and the level of the engine and other components you have installed. Cargo ships wallow around and fighters are much better/easier to fly. Both get a LOT better once you upgrade the ship components. This is not something that's very obvious to new players.
Also the mouse speed in the gameplay settings. I had to crank my Mouse Speed for Ship to like 90 or 100 to feel like I was able to fight.
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My piloting time became a thousand times better once I just plugged my damned 360 controller in. This game is clearly designed for a controller, and honestly plays better with it. The controls actually make sense, and you don't get the weird, hard-coded interface controls like you do with mouse and keyboard (where my move left is S, but in the quick menu it is Q, where as somewhere else it was A.) They really half-assed the control customization, ala Fallout 4 where custom remaps only apply to movement, not the interface.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:48 pm
ColdSteel wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:50 am You can also dismantle your first base anytime you want and get the resources back. Then use them for your real base.
I must be missing something. How do you dismantle the little hut? And does doing that allow the base computer to be picked up?
With an Xbox controller, my base computer has the option of picking it u with the B key. Your base computer doesn't have that option?
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I caved and bought it while it was on-sale.

Fired up the game and followed the prompts which soon directed me to mine something while completely failing to warn that sentinels aggro if you mine while they're in range. I killed the attacker but reinforcements soon arrived so I quit.

Started again and this time paid attention to whether sentinels were around before mining. I was able to get off the initial planet and find my way to the second planet which seems a little more welcoming.

One question - how do you switch between first and third person view? I typically prefer first person but I can't find the setting in the menu.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Exodor wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:39 pm One question - how do you switch between first and third person view? I typically prefer first person but I can't find the setting in the menu.
X menu, left side, select, then right side
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Exodor wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:39 pm One question - how do you switch between first and third person view? I typically prefer first person but I can't find the setting in the menu.
It's on the quick menu (hit 'x' on the PC). Select Utilities, then navigate to the side to find the Camera Mode option. Select it to toggle between third-person and first-person viewpoints. If you are in your ship it will change the ship to third person view.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:31 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:48 pm
With an Xbox controller, my base computer has the option of picking it u with the B key. Your base computer doesn't have that option?
The menu said I could use B, but when I tried it said I wasn't allowed. I figured it was because I hadn't disassembled the hut. In any case, how do you remove parts of the wooden hut? I am indeed using an Xbox controller.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:04 pm
The menu said I could use B, but when I tried it said I wasn't allowed. I figured it was because I hadn't disassembled the hut. In any case, how do you remove parts of the wooden hut? I am indeed using an Xbox controller.
Check the bottom of the screen and it should tell you (hint - it should be left trigger.)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:57 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:04 pm
Check the bottom of the screen and it should tell you (hint - it should be left trigger.)
OK, that allowed me to deconstruct the hut. However, I still can't remove the base computer. It's the only portable equipment that isn't allowing me to pick it back up. Weird.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Go and use the computer. Delete the base from there. Then you can pick it up.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:09 pm Go and use the computer. Delete the base from there. Then you can pick it up.
Thanks!
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:09 pm Go and use the computer. Delete the base from there. Then you can pick it up.
I was having the same issue and followed the advice above. I was able to deconstruct and delete the base, but the base computer just disappeared. No opportunity to pick it up, and it’s not in my inventory. Did I do something wrong? Not a huge loss, as the resources to build aren’t crazy and I can just build another one, but waste not wantnot.

Another bigger question: How much time should I invest in my base at the start? I found a pretty sweet planet that I like, and I have a nice site for my base. I’d like to develop this, but as I head toward the center of the galaxy, will I have an opportunity to come back here to my starting system, and will I want to? How much of a pain will it be getting back here?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Kurth wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:17 pm Another bigger question: How much time should I invest in my base at the start? I found a pretty sweet planet that I like, and I have a nice site for my base. I’d like to develop this, but as I head toward the center of the galaxy, will I have an opportunity to come back here to my starting system, and will I want to? How much of a pain will it be getting back here?
Every station you come across will have a teleport portal you can use to return to your base after you've built a portal there. It's surprisingly easy to build, just look for it among your build options.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Sepiche wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:57 pm
Kurth wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:17 pm Another bigger question: How much time should I invest in my base at the start? I found a pretty sweet planet that I like, and I have a nice site for my base. I’d like to develop this, but as I head toward the center of the galaxy, will I have an opportunity to come back here to my starting system, and will I want to? How much of a pain will it be getting back here?
Every station you come across will have a teleport portal you can use to return to your base after you've built a portal there. It's surprisingly easy to build, just look for it among your build options.
I actually already built one at my starting base that I'd like to develop, but I'm unable to activate it yet. I visited the space station thinking that would get it on line, but no luck. I'm thinking teleportation only becomes active later in the game.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Kurth wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:25 pm I actually already built one at my starting base that I'd like to develop, but I'm unable to activate it yet. I visited the space station thinking that would get it on line, but no luck. I'm thinking teleportation only becomes active later in the game.
You know, now that I think about it, I got a similar message very early on. I'm not sure which step was the trigger to activate the gates, but it's not very far into the storyline, and that's your way to always be able to get back to your base.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I would have really, really appreciated a ship combat tutorial before I got dropped into the middle of four hostiles with no clue how to defend myself, resulting in my entire ship's stock being lost, including all of my effing fuel.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Kurth wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:25 pm
Sepiche wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:57 pm
I actually already built one at my starting base that I'd like to develop, but I'm unable to activate it yet. I visited the space station thinking that would get it on line, but no luck. I'm thinking teleportation only becomes active later in the game.
If you follow the tutorial, it has you hyper jump a few times. I believe that after the second or third jump, your teleporter starts working.
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:24 pm I would have really, really appreciated a ship combat tutorial before I got dropped into the middle of four hostiles with no clue how to defend myself, resulting in my entire ship's stock being lost, including all of my effing fuel.
Along that same vein, when I first fired up the game I didn't know any controls and had no idea how to harvest - and was constantly under attack by sentinels and struggling to figure out how now to suffocate and/or freeze to death. It took about 5 deaths in rapid succession before I finally started surviving. Ship combat for me, though, felt like a really sluggish Freelancer and I was able to cope fairly well - haven't died once yet.
Black Lives Matter

Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Got the teleporters working, and now I just built my first containers. Wow, do they help with the inventory issues I was having.

Still having difficulty with space battles (getting my ass handed to me) but maybe I just need to upgrade my ship. This game still really has its hooks in me!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Kurth wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:13 pm Got the teleporters working, and now I just built my first containers. Wow, do they help with the inventory issues I was having.

Still having difficulty with space battles (getting my ass handed to me) but maybe I just need to upgrade my ship. This game still really has its hooks in me!
I started a thousand years ago so I don't know what you start out in now, but different ships types have wildly different handling. A hauler is completely different from a fighter and there are many upgrades to choose from for weapons and mobility too.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

That is awesome. Thank you for sharing it!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

updated version:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Do you ever find a refiner with multiple inputs, or is all that stuff just crafted in your inventory?
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

That is really helpful! What do the times in mins to the left mean?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:56 pm Do you ever find a refiner with multiple inputs, or is all that stuff just crafted in your inventory?
Eventually you unlock medium and large refiners for your base.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Kurth wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:47 am That is really helpful! What do the times in mins to the left mean?
They are items produced through farming. That is how long it takes that plant to produce.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

coopasonic wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:57 am
Kurth wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:47 am That is really helpful! What do the times in mins to the left mean?
They are items produced through farming. That is how long it takes that plant to produce.
Got it. I don’t have a farmer yet, but that’s the next base building mission I just got from my little Gek buddy.

I just started taking down sentinels and am taking out a weapons factory per the instruction of my Vykeen weapons specialist. I’m loving this game.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Stuck on a bugged quest. Driving me nuts. Doing the weapons line of quests from the armorer, and he wanted me to destroy 3 planetary depots which were marked on my map. Flew to the depots and shot them up from my ship. Turns out, you have to destroy them with your multitool weapons. So, now the depots are destroyed, but it didn’t count for satisfying the quest, and the destroyed depot is the only one marked on my HUD. I can’t find another one and am totally stuck.

Any thoughts? This is really a frustrating roadblock.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

If you leave the system and come back, the depot will likely be repaired and you can do it as intended.

If not, I posted this for a different bugged quest, but it might help you (spoiler: it worked):
I might have fixed it with the save editor (I'll know in a couple hours because the scientist is rebooting):

https://nomansskymods.com/mods/no-mans-sky-save-editor/

Back up your save game first.

Open your save in the editor (if you don't have Java installed you'll need that too):

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... 33155.html

From the edit menu select "Edit raw JSON"

Expand "Player State Data"

Expand "Mission Progress"

Find the Scientist Mission (for me it was 5, I don't know if that is consistent). Click on missions until you see one that starts with: "Mission":"^SCIENTIST1",

In my save, the next line was: "Progress":10,

I changed that to: "Progress":7,

I picked 7 randomly, but it appears to have let me continue the quest line.

I am actually right back to where I left off, but now my quest is showing the scientist rebooting for 90 minutes. I will come back and let you know if I can continue from there.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Thanks, but no dice. Teleported out to a different system, did some exploring, came back, and the depot is still destroyed.
Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

Had same problem. Teleported and flew ship a couple of jumps away and did other quests and when i flew back it worked again. Not sure why but it did