[Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

stessier

Re: [Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

Post by stessier »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:08 am 20 free titles for Prime members, including the awesome latest from Neil Tyson.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/s?tag=android ... =bookshelf
Unless I'm missing something, they are free for Kindle Unlimited members (which is not the same thing as Prime).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:49 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:08 am 20 free titles for Prime members, including the awesome latest from Neil Tyson.

Unless I'm missing something, they are free for Kindle Unlimited members (which is not the same thing as Prime).
Looks like for Prime members you can basically 'check out' the eBooks and read them, but you don't get to 'buy them' for free. There's a limit of 10 books that you can have out at any time. Not sure if there's a time limit or not.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:00 am

Looks like for Prime members you can basically 'check out' the eBooks and read them, but you don't get to 'buy them' for free. There's a limit of 10 books that you can have out at any time. Not sure if there's a time limit or not.
Huh, had no idea that was possible. I'll have to look into how to do it.

Thanks!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stessier wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:13 am
El Guapo wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:00 am

Huh, had no idea that was possible. I'll have to look into how to do it.

Thanks!
Click the button at the link that says "Read for Free"?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Actually, you get ~ 1 free book/month with Prime, of the Free Prime kindle books.

You can only read them on Kindle devices - they won't work on the app for Android/iOS.

You can keep the book checked out as long as you like, but you have to return it before you can check out another.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Assassin's Apprentice (the first book of the Farseer Trilogy) by Robin Hobb is on sale today for $1.99.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:17 am Assassin's Apprentice (the first book of the Farseer Trilogy) by Robin Hobb is on sale today for $1.99.
Price Chivalry and King Shrewd? Ummm... no.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

While the names suck, the story is actually good.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Robin Hobb is an excellent writer. I've greatly enjoyed all of her books so far. Though the Farseer trilogy (the first ones I read) remain my favorites.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:02 am
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:17 am Assassin's Apprentice (the first book of the Farseer Trilogy) by Robin Hobb is on sale today for $1.99.
They're no Hiro Protagonist, but as stated the stories are good. I enjoyed them.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I admit to being someone who will not read a book if the character names make me roll my eyes too much. That said, I always enjoy some good Pynchon character names.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I bounced off the Pern books because of the apostrophes.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Another recommendation for Robin Hobb's books. They're really good.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Moliere wrote:$1.99

Enlarge Image
I think I remember reading that someone is making a tv series out of this, so it will probably get pegged high in the near future.

P S it's from Stephenson's fun period, when his books were filed with humor while still being great hard sf yarns. Highly recommended.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote:
coopasonic wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:02 am
They're no Hiro Protagonist, but as stated the stories are good. I enjoyed them.
And speak of the devil, HP is on sale!

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Isgrimnur wrote:While the names suck, the story is actually good.
Forsooth. Highly, highly recommend this series if you like fantasy even a little. I will warn you that it gets really, really dark at the end. Had me dwelling on it for days after I finished (the series).

“Fantasy as it ought to be written . . . Robin Hobb’s books are diamonds in a sea of zircons.”—George R. R. Martin
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

$3.99 Robert R McCammon collection that includes Boy's Life, that one alone is worth the price. Not sure how long this deal goes.

The Southern Novels

Looks like it may be today only...so hurry
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Not going to buy since they are all available digitally from my library, but definitely wishlisted! I had never heard of him. Guess I will start with Boy's Life.

Is it similar in style to Stephen King "horror"?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Book #3 of The Magician's trilogy is on sale today for $1.99, but of course #2 is not. The first had been on sale a few months ago. I don't pretend to understand the how or why of these things.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Boy's Life is one of my all-time favorite books. It is similar to Stephen King's stuff in that it has the same nostalgic vibe as Stand By Me. Gone South is pretty good too, though it's more straight-up horror. Haven't read the other two.

I think I'm going to pick up that collection just to re-read those two and catch up on the others I didn't read. And.....deal's dead so I won't.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:00 am Not going to buy since they are all available digitally from my library, but definitely wishlisted! I had never heard of him. Guess I will start with Boy's Life.

Is it similar in style to Stephen King "horror"?
His writing style is somewhat similar to King's, I personally have always liked McCammon more, he's my favorite author in fact.

They Thirst-Vampires
Swan Song-Post Apocalyptic
Boy's Life-Wild imagination of a young buy as evil is a foot in his hometown.

those area few of my favorites of his.

His writing style draws me in and love even the stuff that I would think wouldn't interest me like his latest works about witch hunting in the 1700's. (Speaks the Nightbird)
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I've always kept a spreadsheet rating of every book I read so here is the list of McCammon book's I have so far with what I rated them out of 10 stars. I am in the process of re-reading and rating a lot of these because my tastes have changed since I first read them back in college.
  • McCammon, Robert R. Border, The HR 8
    McCammon, Robert R. Wolf's Hour, The HR 8
    McCammon, Robert R. Usher's Passing HR 8
    McCammon, Robert R. They Thirst HR 9
    McCammon, Robert R. Speaks the Nightbird Vol 1: Judgement of the Witch HR 7
    McCammon, Robert R. Speaks the Nightbird Vol 2: Evil Reveiled HR 7
    McCammon, Robert R. Queen of Bedlam, The HR NRA
    McCammon, Robert R. Swan Song HR 8
    McCammon, Robert R. Stinger HR 9
    McCammon, Robert R. Night Boat HR 7
    McCammon, Robert R. Mystery Walk HR 8
    McCammon, Robert R. Mine HR 9
    McCammon, Robert R. Gone South FI 8
    McCammon, Robert R. Boy's Life, A FI 10
    McCammon, Robert R. Blue World HR 9
    McCammon, Robert R. Bethany's Sin HR 9
    McCammon, Robert R. Baal HR 8

Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The first two books in John Ringo's Council Wars series are currently available for free.

It's the 41st century, humanity wants for nothing, and there's one tiny government tasked with keeping up with the controlling AI that keeps everything in check. You can even manipulate your own DNA and change yourself into an orca, or even a merperson, or even upload your consciousness to a nannite swarm.

And then the lights go out when the tiny government splits into warring factions and take all the power to try and kill the other side.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I wish I saw that $3.99 McCammon collection yesterday. I re-read Swan Song recently (for the first time in like 20 years) and I was impressed with how well it held up. I liked it then and it was still a great read now. I'll keep a look out for the others...
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enlarge Image

My choice for this month's First Reads.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Boy's Life is $1.99 today.

Boy's Life

Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Thanks!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Here's something a bit different for everyone, Leviathan: The History of Whaling in America by Eric Jay Dolin. It's on sale today for $1.99. I read it in hardcover and really enjoyed it.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Book one of The Chronicles of the Black Company by Glen Cook is $2.99 today. Maybe all month. Not sure.
Jag

Post by Jag »

David McCullough American History E-book Box Set: John Adams, 1776, Truman, The Course of Human Events Kindle Edition

$.99
Includes four titles:

"John Adams"
The magisterial, Pulitzer Prize-winning biography of the independent, irascible Yankee patriot, one of our nation's founders and most important figures, who became our second president.
"1776"
The riveting story of George Washington, the men who marched with him, and their British foes in the momentous year of American independence.
"Truman"
The Pulitzer Prize-winning biography of Harry Truman, the complex and courageous man who rose from modest origins to make momentous decisions as president, from dropping the atomic bomb to going to war in Korea.
"The Course of Human Events"
In this Jefferson Lecture in the Humanities, David McCullough draws on his personal experience as a historian to acknowledge the crucial importance of writing in history's enduring impact and influence, and he affirms the significance of history in teaching us about human nature through the ages.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sold.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

That's not in my typical reading wheelhouse, but at that price, I can't say no. The books will make a nice break from my typical fare.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I have all three of the main books in hardcover, but for less than a buck I'll bite and keep them on my Kindle :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
GuidoTKP

Post by GuidoTKP »

So glad I clicked into this thread today. I have Truman in hard cover (but haven't read it, yet, in part because I hate reading physical books anymore), but not the rest. Unbelievable price.
"All I can ever think of when I see BBT is, "that guy f***ed Angelina Jolie? Seriously?" Then I wonder if Angelina ever wakes up in the middle of the night to find Brad Pitt in the shower, huddled in a corner furiously scrubbing at his d*** and going, 'I can't get the smell of Billy Bob off of this thing.' Then I try to think of something, anything, else." --Brian

"Would you go up to a girl in a bar and say 'Pardon me, miss, but before I spend a lot of time chatting you up, and buying you drinks, I'd like to know if you do anal. Because if not, that's a deal-breaker for me.'"
-- Mr. Fed
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Bought. Thanks!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Has anyone here actually read them? Just curious how good they are.

Edit: Also, ZOIKS! "Print Length: 3107 pages"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:34 pm Has anyone here actually read them? Just curious how good they are.

Edit: Also, ZOIKS! "Print Length: 3107 pages"
Yeah, big name biographies tend not to fuck around on page length. This is three (Pulitzer-winning) tomes plus a speech.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Otherland: City of Golden Shadows by Tad Williams is currently $2.99; it might be for the whole month of August. This is book 1 of 4 in the series.