News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Malificent

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Malificent »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:20 pm Netflix ordered a 10 episode run of Joe Hill's Locke and Key. This pleases me.
This indeed makes me happy.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I just finished Altered Carbon yesterday. While I thought the premise was cool, there were too many turn-your-brain-off-at-the-door to make me really like it. Just one non-spoiler example that happens in the first ten minutes of the show and continues through the season: a dude comes back after 250 years and he still knows how to not only identify but use and manipulate all the modern technology. It’s a small thing but is sort of emblematic of the lack of attention to details.

In any case, as I said the world and premise has a lot of possibilities; hopefully season 2 has stronger writing that the first one.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh, there was someone other than Edgar Allen Poe in Altered Carbon?
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Truth.
Holman

Post by Holman »

[Copied from the "Watcha Watchin'?" thread...]

Just started Babylon Berlin, a crime series set in 1929 Germany.

It's very stylish and intricate and cool so far. I've read a lot about the Weimar period, and it's a perfect setting for something as neo-noir as this.

We also took the advice of a friend and opted to watch it in German with English subtitles. Very atmospheric.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I really liked the first season, so looking forward to the second. It's interesting that they can change the actors due to the sleeve concept.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Holman wrote:[Copied from the "Watcha Watchin'?" thread...]

Just started Babylon Berlin, a crime series set in 1929 Germany.

It's very stylish and intricate and cool so far. I've read a lot about the Weimar period, and it's a perfect setting for something as neo-noir as this.

We also took the advice of a friend and opted to watch it in German with English subtitles. Very atmospheric.
I still don't get people watching stuff dubbed.

Yes, was a great series.

Home of the Akimbo AWPs
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Extinction is up. The always great Michael Pena is a father having dreams of an alien invasion. An invasion which eventually does arrive. It’s got a pretty major twist, although it seems a little silly when you think about it. Still, it was a fun time that reminded me of a Total Recall.
Covfefe!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:14 pm Extinction is up. The always great Michael Pena is a father having dreams of an alien invasion. An invasion which eventually does arrive. It’s got a pretty major twist, although it seems a little silly when you think about it. Still, it was a fun time that reminded me of a Total Recall.
Watched it last night and yes, pretty major twist indeed. And saying the something else it made me think of would be a spoiler. Did enjoy it, now waiting for Extinction 2. :shifty:
-mf
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Watched Beasts of No Nation. I typically never watch movies like this, but it was recommended by a friend. Really brutal film that has a tremendous story. It's crazy and captivating. The acting is super. Movies that have a good story and good acting, I give a high rating.

Pretty darn good and glad for the recommendation. This one shouldn't be skipped if you can take some brutal scenes. It's worth the watch for sure.

Edit. It's a must to watch with subtitles on. Does not distract, IMO.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Started season 2 of GLOW. I see the opening credits and see the Kate Nash. Ha, funny that, she name as the singer... Wait a minute. Fuckballs, it is her! Britannica. I heart.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Godzilla 1 and 2, a series of anime movies out of Japan, are an enjoyable retelling of the Godzilla story...but from a pure science fiction approach.

20,000 years after being forced off their home world by Godzilla (but only 20 years to the escapees due to the vagaries of ftl travel), mankind returns to retake the planet. Only to find out that Earth has been remade in Godzilla's image. I'm not going to ruin anything, but expect appearances from more than a few characters from the original Toho days. Although often with a new twist.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Just watched a Netflix original called The Forest. It's a French mystery series that has a similar vibe to True Detective. Short series of 6 episodes, but it's pretty decent. Set in a small village where everyone knows each other, young girls start disappearing and evidence is found in the neighbouring forest.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Moliere wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:59 pm I was ready to move to Oregon by the end of the second episode.
This is in reference to Wild Wild Country...

My wife and I just got done binging this. What a great story. And I agree, all I could see is a bunch of happy and physically fit people full of love. Maybe I'll join them in Pune, India.

I mean yeah, shit got ugly after a while but they seem fine now.
Holman

Post by Holman »

tjg_marantz wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:48 am Started season 2 of GLOW. I see the opening credits and see the Kate Nash. Ha, funny that, she name as the singer... Wait a minute. Fuckballs, it is her! Britannica. I heart.
A propos:

My friend Caitlin is editor for a new documentary on Kate Nash, Underestimate the Girl.

I believe they'll be at least a trailer at that link eventually.

(Caitlin says Kate is pretty fun to know.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Holman wrote:
tjg_marantz wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:48 am Started season 2 of GLOW. I see the opening credits and see the Kate Nash. Ha, funny that, she name as the singer... Wait a minute. Fuckballs, it is her! Britannica. I heart.
A propos:

My friend Caitlin is editor for a new documentary on Kate Nash, Underestimate the Girl.

I believe they'll be at least a trailer at that link eventually.

(Caitlin says Kate is pretty fun to know.)
Oh thanks!
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
stessier

Post by stessier »

Norm Macdonald Has a Show. It is bad (based on two episodes). E-I-E-I-O.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

stessier wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:07 pm Norm Macdonald Has a Show. It is bad (based on two episodes). E-I-E-I-O.
It feels even more awkward than the original shows posted on YouTube. The Adam Eget jokes are forced and even the guests can't tell what is going on. David Spade looked really uncomfortable, especially during the closing credits song. I thought it was interesting that twice Drew Barrymore tried to mention Ayn Rand and twice Norm interrupted her and changed the subject.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

How does Ozark not have its own thread?! It’s crazy good. I’m watching second season now, and it’s getting borderline ridiculous in terms of ratcheting up the pressure/tension.

Also, this show is REALLY dark, wow.

Anyone else watching/watched?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I just started Season 1 last night and really enjoyed the first episode. I'm a big Jason Bateman fan anyway. At first glance it feels like involuntary Breaking Bad. :D
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Has anyone been watching Maniac? I've seen the first four or five episodes. It's very weird and very good. Emma Stone is great.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:18 am How does Ozark not have its own thread?! It’s crazy good. I’m watching second season now, and it’s getting borderline ridiculous in terms of ratcheting up the pressure/tension.

Also, this show is REALLY dark, wow.

Anyone else watching/watched?
We went straight from Orange is the New Black to season 2 of Ozark, finished it up earlier this week. It makes Orange feel like a sitcom. We really like it, but wow is it dark. We are watching S2 of GLOW now to lighten things up a little.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:31 am Has anyone been watching Maniac? I've seen the first four or five episodes. It's very weird and very good. Emma Stone is great.
I watched the first episode, and it didn't do much for me. Been meaning to go back, but other things have taken priority.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The first episode was the weakest so far since it focused mainly on Jonah Hill's character. He's considerably less interesting than Emma Stone, both his character and him as an actor.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:18 am The first episode was the weakest so far since it focused mainly on Jonah Hill's character. He's considerably less interesting than Emma Stone, both his character and him as an actor.
Yeah, that was my main issue. I get that they're trying to establish his meek character, but watching Hill mumble for an hour was less than compelling.

Glad to hear it gets better.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Ozark is good. I just wonder how many seasons I'll be able to watch of completely joyless lives.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:31 am Has anyone been watching Maniac? I've seen the first four or five episodes. It's very weird and very good. Emma Stone is great.
This is good to hear. I like Jonah Hill and have a crush on Emma Stone, so was hoping this would be good.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

McNutt wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:20 pm Ozark is good. I just wonder how many seasons I'll be able to watch of completely joyless lives.
Rose and Jonah are the stars of the show for me at this point, but yeah it's so damn miserable.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

I love Ozark and agree it's a top notch show that belongs with the best current running shows. Story line is good and the characters were very well cast with excellent actors.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

As mentioned, it's dark as hell in terms of content/theme/outcomes, but also in the literal sense. Notice how the sun is never shining? And when they shoot inside scenes, there are VERY few lights on, to a monastic degree? Not to mention the drab, grey-green color palette.

I get that the producer is trying to set a mood and atmosphere with dim and low lighting, but when I notice it outright, how weird it is that their house is so dark, maybe they've gone overboard. :D
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Somehow I got hooked on BATTLEFISH, which is a fishing docuseries ala The Deadliest Catch. This one's about fishermen in the Pacific Northwest catching albacore tuna.

While not as inherently dangerous as the king crab fishing, the tension in this one is driven by hoping they catch enough to pay their bills. The tuna schools can be tricky, so they really have to yank in as many as possible when they find them.

As with most of these series you start identifying your favorite personalities, and those you dislike (though I wouldn't say there are any real "villains" here.)

One word of caution - if you're thinking of watching this with your kids in an educational manner (as I did), there are times where they will cuss like...well.....sailors. :D
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Anyone check out Hold the Dark?

It caught my eye (stars Jeffrey Wright from Westworld and Aleksander Skaarsgard) and I watched it last night. Interesting film. I don’t know if I loved it, but it wasn’t a waste of time either. Summed up pretty well on Rotten Tomatoes:
Critics Consensus: Hold the Dark's unsettling aesthetic offers more of what filmgoers expect from director Jeremy Saulnier - and is often enough to prop up shaky narrative underpinnings.
I’d be interested to know what others thought.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Just downloaded it for my flight this afternoon. Thanks.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I binged Atypical this weekend and got half way through Season 2. I really enjoy it.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Season 2 of Big Mouth came out on Friday. It’s a wonderfully vulgar look at puberty with a sweet heart at its core.

Probably won’t change your mind if you didn’t like the first season, but I find it hilarious.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Apocalypse? Sandra Bullock? Sort of want.

When a mysterious force decimates the world’s population, only one thing is certain: if you see it, you take your life. Facing the unknown, Malorie finds love, hope and a new beginning only for it to unravel. Now she must flee with her two children down a treacherous river to the one place left that may offer sanctuary. But to survive, they'll have to undertake the perilous two-day journey blindfolded. Academy Award® winner Sandra Bullock leads an all-star cast that includes Trevante Rhodes, with Sarah Paulson, and John Malkovich in #BirdBox, a compelling new thriller from Academy Award® winner Susanne Bier.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:33 pm Season 2 of Big Mouth came out on Friday. It’s a wonderfully vulgar look at puberty with a sweet heart at its core.

Probably won’t change your mind if you didn’t like the first season, but I find it hilarious.
My wife and I weren't fans of Kroll show, so we wrote this show off, but we finally started watching it after hearing all the good reviews.

It's a solid, funny show with, as you said, a good heart at it's core.

Probably wouldn't be nearly as funny without the hormone monsters though. :)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The Bird Box book was pretty good, though I'm really curious as to how they'll adapt it. The whole gimmick relies on the reader's imagination of what's out there, and "seeing" the darkness through the perspective of the main characters.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The book was entertaining enough, but I agree that it seems like a tough thing to turn into a movie. And the opening of that trailer seemed pretty different. Also, why are there monkey sounds in that forest? I thought the book took place in Michigan?
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I know it's not Netflix exclusive, but I don't think it's enough to get it's own thread either.

I started watching The Good Place with my wife. After one episode, she walked away proclaiming the main character annoying and the show unwatchable. I sat through it - interested in the concept of a generally amoral person in that kind of world. I think they've played it well and I'm into episode 7 now and enjoying it. It's gotten a few LOL's, which is hard for a show to do with me, and it seems to be settling into itself well.

At 22 minutes per episode on Netflix, it's a quick watch.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.