[FFG] Arkham Horror 3rd Edition

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Smoove_B

[FFG] Arkham Horror 3rd Edition

Post by Smoove_B »

For all you Cthulhu nerds.

Has a modular board. Coming Q42018 for ~$65

EDIT: First article here.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
baelthazar

Re: [FFG] Arkham Horror 3rd Edition

Post by baelthazar »

Not sure about the modular board... I would be on this, if my huge box of Arkham Horror got any play.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The big question will be if this replaces Eldritch Horror which was high on my buy list to replace my copy of Arkham Horror 1e.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I played the 2nd edition of this game and felt it was dated. I know people are heavily into the product and there's like 37 expansions for it, but in terms of actual game play, it just didn't do it for me. As someone that's neutral (at best) towards the game, to me this seems like a way to address the absurd amount of table space the 2nd edition requires. I keep reading how people are really against the modular board design, and I get that it doesn't look very "Lovecraftian", but it feels like it was done to address (what I think) was that complain about table space.

I'd expect this game is designed with all the things they've learned regarding all the other games they've redesigned/updated in the last 5+ years.

Regarding Eldritch Horror, I really wanted to like the game, but for 1-2 people (playing 2 investigators) it doesn't work (IMHO). The game (again, IMHO) requires 4+ investigators, so if you're not going to play that way (or in my case, unwilling to manage multiple investigators), it just doesn't work.

I feel the same about Mansions of Madness.

For me, the card game has been the Lovecraftian sweet spot. It delivers the best narrative and most satisfying experience overall. I'll be watching this with interest, but I doubt it's something I'll purchase.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I know they're functionally different games but between Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition, Elder Sign, Eldritch Horror, Arkham Horror: The Card Game... all with generally the same gameplay, characters, artwork, etc, this is the last thing I need.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

FFG really lost me with all these spend $100s of dollars on a game and then release the next edition and start over philosophies. By may math, that's a combined $360 retail boardgame and probably about three cubic feet of space that is now to be slowly updated and made obsolete by the same board game but updated.

The only bright side being Remus bought this one, not me.

Now get off my lawn!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I have no interest in rebuying Arkham unless there is a gameplay improvement.

The 3 locations in an area are large and more easily placed on a board. The redesign would allow for modular integration of expansions, but I think it's going to lead to confusion about the locations.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon