Horizon: Zero Dawn board game

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Smoove_B

Horizon: Zero Dawn board game

Post by Smoove_B »

We live in very strange times. I was hoping this would make it to PC, but apparently it's going to instead be "ported" to cardboard and plastic:
Horizon: Zero Dawn received more merchandise than a top-flight football team prior to its release, so you can bet your bottom dollar that now it’s a bonafide megahit, Sony’s doubling down on all sorts of token tat. To be fair, this new board game from Steamforged Games – created in collaboration with Guerrilla Games – sounds like the antithesis of throwaway junk, and it’s coming to Kickstarter soon.

These are the same people that made the well-liked Dark Souls and Resident Evil tabletop adaptations by the way, so they know what they’re doing. “We take immense pride in working with amazing game properties to create dynamic and powerful board and card experiences in the physical game space,” the company said.
Little more info here.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Lordnine

Re: Horizon: Zero Dawn board game

Post by Lordnine »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:25 pm

These are the same people that made the well-liked Dark Souls and Resident Evil tabletop adaptations by the way, so they know what they’re doing.
Not sure if I would agree with that part... This was posted on Reddit yesterday and the common thread was don't support this game based on how they have treated Dark Souls and its expansions.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah? I haven't followed the development or release of either of those games, though I seem to remember the Dark Souls game making a brazillion dollars or something in their KS, right? Anyway, I'm still rather surprised at these conversions.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I wasn't personally a DS backer so I cant comment directly but here is the Reddit post. The general impressions I've heard is the boss fights were actually really fun but the rest of the rules for the game range from incomplete to terrible.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The BLOODBORNE board game was announced at GenCon, but it's being published by CMON so I have much higher hopes for it. I was excited about this one until I saw who was producing it. I haven't played the DARK SOULS board game, but I knew about the grumblings ranging from "meh" to "biggest KS regret ever."
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well, the KS was launched and it's making a killing. With a minimum pledge of $129, I find it rather surprising. March 2020 delivery!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

A strong pass from me but those minis sure do look nice. I hope the game turns out well because I wouldn't mind have some of them painted on my shelf some day. It's been interesting to follow the discussions and how they seem to vary from the number of people backing the game.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

So, because I LOVED Horizon Zero Dawn and happened to be online when it went live, I got one of the Early Bird slots when I pledged for it. However, after reading about SFG (having yet to be involved in any of their KS projects) and watching a game play demo that just seemed a bit... boring... I cancelled my pledge. So sad. :(
-mf
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Lordnine wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:41 pm A strong pass from me but those minis sure do look nice. I hope the game turns out well because I wouldn't mind have some of them painted on my shelf some day. It's been interesting to follow the discussions and how they seem to vary from the number of people backing the game.
Loved this comment:
Nevermind the fulfilment problems of DS, I just dont feel like getting duped into another "Buy the minis now, we'll make the rules later" fiasco
They should just ship the components to the Dragon's Tomb how-to-play guy, and print whatever rules he comes up with.